Marblehead

Introduction

Yeah, that's pretty much the direction I would like this to go.  I just haven't been inspired yet.

But then, I'm not the only one who can post in this thread.  (Hint, hint.)

• Like 1

I suggest we start a thread about discussing the contents of a proposed stickypost that is a suggestions of things to discuss in this forum such as the excelent question thelerner posted.

Anyone else interested in this idea?

• Like 1

I like your idea but I wouldn't care to see that happening here.  This area is more for the newcomers with their initial thoughts and questions.  Maybe their thoughts/questions are already being discussed in other threads they haven't found yet and they can get pointed in the direction to find an older or on-going discussion concerning those thoughts/questions.  Or a fresh discussion could be started and then the thread moved to the proper sub-forum if deemed appropriate.

I agree that this is not the place for the discussion, though I'm not sure where the correct place would be.

Once the discussion is mature we can create a post that can be stickied here though.

• Like 1

I am a new member and I would have to say that having a sticky post with some baited questions would not only be a good way to intoduce people and where they are but it would be an awesome way to screen out the chaff as well. Not saying that is my m.o but as an overall group it kinda has to be important to the dynamic of a group.

We may want to bait it with some good thought provoking threads.

ie, Why did you join?

What do you hope to get out of it?

What would the perfect spiritual forum look like?

Do you have a special talent or skill?  Something you've worked on for decades?

What is the one important thing?

Da Bums Coffee (& Te) Clique Cafe, sit, gripe, write great thoughts, repeat.

I suggest we start a thread about discussing the contents of a proposed stickypost that is a suggestions of things to discuss in this forum such as the excelent question thelerner posted.

Anyone else interested in this idea?

I like your idea but I wouldn't care to see that happening here.  

Well, it already started here :)

I'd be willing to pin a topic which helped direct a new member onto more topics than just an intro... so we can welcome them further.

And maybe MB's welcome [approval] can invite them to this area to share some more and that might stimulate them to tackle the larger areas too.

I'm not saying this area is going to be a successful outcome, but I was willing to give it a try and see where it goes.

This forum would be boring if we didn't have our Flat Earthers.  How boring would life be without any challenges?

Well every photo of the earth we have available is a composite photo, holding zero academic validity. There will always be challenges., except for those that cannot see. This is where the saying "ignorance is bliss" comes from. 

Hehehe.  No, the phrase "ignorance is bliss" originates in the act of ignoring the facts in order to support a belief that is otherwise unsupportable.

Actually 'Ignorance is bliss' is a very complex expression and has many different aspects to it.

But it's assumed original meaning is that it is sometimes more comfortable to not know something than knowing it.

It is however used in many different context nowdays and carries a much more complex set of meanings.

Yeah, I actually do still use it on occasion but in its original context.  (The less we know that bothers our mind the better chance we have at having a peaceful mind.)

I like to use it in the sense of ignoring people or phenomenon that are not worthy of attention is blissfull. But that is very far from it's original meaning.

• Like 1

So should these so called frequent flyers not engage the newcomers in this forum, or should they simply be more lenient in this forum?

Just noticed I had been quoted -- I think the intention is/was to create an area where a new member could ask a question or two about whatever drew them here without being pounced upon for raising a question on Daoism in the Buddhism subforum or mixing coffee terms with tea terms or confusing awakened & enlightened -- or whatever. A kinder, gentler place where we either check curmudgeonliness at the door or simply don't enter.

• Like 1

Just noticed I had been quoted -- I think the intention is/was to create an area where a new member could ask a question or two about whatever drew them here without being pounced upon for raising a question on Daoism in the Buddhism subforum or mixing coffee terms with tea terms or confusing awakened & enlightened -- or whatever. A kinder, gentler place where we either check curmudgeonliness at the door or simply don't enter.

Thank you for this new fun sounding awesome word...Curmudgeon

• Like 1

new person here, its nice having a "Kiddy Pool" where i can splash around before trying to swim in deep waters

Welcome!

• Like 2

Hello everyone, I'm lucky there is a general introduction thread, as I'm battling myself whether I should start one big topic with a list of questions I'm dying to ask, or should I start a few different ones, or even try searching for similar threads.

But given that everybody has specific and individual needs I doubt I will find definitive answers in the earlier suggestions.
I feel I can count on you guys, just please tell me how should I formulate these issues. I mainly need to discuss three things:
1.Dieting, resting, working/studying management.
2. Meditation, Martial, Healing practices.

3. Philosophical development and expanding mystical knowledge(though I'm not sure how much of this stuff do I really need :D).
Would it be ok If I just made a thread explaining exactly what my health condition and life situation is? And than ask about my choice of disciplines/routines I'd like to incorporate?
Maybe I'm to cautious or whatever but I really want to do it right this time, and receive enough serious advice.

Thank you!

Hello everyone, I'm lucky there is a general introduction thread, as I'm battling myself whether I should start one big topic with a list of questions I'm dying to ask, or should I start a few different ones, or even try searching for similar threads.

But given that everybody has specific and individual needs I doubt I will find definitive answers in the earlier suggestions.

I feel I can count on you guys, just please tell me how should I formulate these issues. I mainly need to discuss three things:

1.Dieting, resting, working/studying management.

2. Meditation, Martial, Healing practices.

3. Philosophical development and expanding mystical knowledge(though I'm not sure how much of this stuff do I really need :D).

Would it be ok If I just made a thread explaining exactly what my health condition and life situation is? And than ask about my choice of disciplines/routines I'd like to incorporate?

Maybe I'm to cautious or whatever but I really want to do it right this time, and receive enough serious advice.

Thank you!

sounds good to me, best to do it all in one thread if you want more holistic based responses. this is probably the best board for getting a more sympathetic ear, but feel free to put it in any section you feel appropriate.

• Like 1

Good start Papayapple.  And Wilfred's suggestion is valid.

There are some aspects of your "three" that I can speak to and others I cannot or would not.

There will be ears listening to you.  How you phrase your questions will play a big part in what kind of responses you get.

• Like 1

Kiddy pool or no, the New Comer Corner seems to be getting good use.  Congratulations to those involved in it´s setup.  I have, however, noticed a shark or two trolling the shallow waters.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 2

What is the topic? Or is that what you mean, there is no specific topic?

Yes.  That's the point - there is no specific topic.  A new-comer makes a post and we talk about that until another topic is mentioned and then we talk about that.

I like this, really, because it is more like normal conversation flow.  One thought leads to another.  Cause and effect.

• Like 1