Junko

What are you eating?

Isn't it difficult to get Asian pears in western country?

They're at most grocery stores in my town, thankfully.

• Like 1

I never had some special diet, I always ate what I wanted.

I think that's secret of good and happy life :D

Where?

• Like 1

I am a Japanese living in Switzerland, so cooking is becoming more the international way.Which is more fun, eating Japanese food one day, next day Swiss. In my opinion, eating should be creative and varied!

• Like 2

I am a Japanese living in Switzerland, so cooking is becoming more the international way.Which is more fun, eating Japanese food one day, next day Swiss. In my opinion, eating should be creative and varied!

Totally agree.  The best food is imaginative, and never boring, monotonous, or fully predictable.  We are what we eat. :)

Just cooked a meal for the family now that I'm back home for the holidays.  Millet + kidney beans + veggies cooked in good butter + herbs and spices.  I love cooking big meals like this that are healthy, inexpensive, and lots of leftovers.

I am thinking of making some sassafras tea + honey and coconut milk soon.  Or is there a separate beverage thread I should post that in? ;)

• Like 2

Today:

breakfast -- bacon and egg

lunch -- bok choy tomato soup

dinner -- red snapper with asparagus

late night movie snack -- fresh goat cheese with blueberries

Hi!Everybody,I'm eating a banana. I recommend this fruit for both ill person and healthy person. Have a wonderful weekend!

• Like 1

So far today, nothing except 14 gummy bears and a quart of vodka ....   

There's nothing like a healthy diet.  And that's nothing like one.

• Like 1

Sushi at Ichiro's --

before that something sounding also Japanese but actually Finnish, Geisha chocolates

and before that, a 16-hour fast (midnight till 4 p.m.) because I knew those chocolates were coming.

Does anybodyelse here enjoy eating bread?

I love bread. Almost any kind but especially my mum's home-baked brown bread (I've learned how to make it but it's never quite as good) and most flat breads.

In Beijing at lunch time I would often stop by one of the many little carts on the side of the road and grab a half-kilo bag of  酱香饼, which is basically fried bread with sesame seeds and a bunch of other spices and sauce. Delicious. The bag would be soaked through with grease...mm..

2013122163535179.jpg

• Like 1

Hi!Dustybeijing, it's resemble to 'Naun'in India(New Delhi)!I love Indian cuisine very much particularly vegetation one love love love.....

• Like 1

Hi!Dustybeijing, it's resemble to 'Naun'in India(New Delhi)!I love Indian cuisine very much particularly vegetation one love love love.....

Yeah I love naun too, and Indian veg dishes, though I don't know if I've ever had a really authentic one... need to go to India some day.

Actually, again in Beijing, I discovered Xinjiang food, and they have their own kind of naan, .

Different to the Indian version. Not as good because it's quite dry, but soaked in sauce it's really good.

just brought back a big bag of lychees from the local market - the biggest & pinkest specimens i've seen all season, fantastic!

SIcp8d6.jpg?1

• Like 4

I haven't been in the mood for big meals or much solid food recently but we are in a big push at work, so I need something for a good energy booster.  That coupled with several of my close work mates feeling the need to come to work while being very sick (go home freaks)... This morning I woke up to the smells of my gal putting together a high energy veggie broth. 

Extra heavy doses of garlic, onion and cayenne.  Liberal sprinklings of tumeric, sage, thyme, tumeric and various others.  She  made a nice big batch so I can fill a couple thermoses and sip throughout the day.  Now that is my kind of Valentine's gift!

• Like 5

Soup.  Making a big batch each week.

Last week, a vegetarian black bean.  Used dry black beans, red lentils (which dissolved nicely), the moirepoix from Trader Joe's (cut up onions, carrots & celery cause I'm soo lazy, even w/ spellign).   Lots of cumin, paprika, warming spices, quite a bit of hot sauce too, and some sugar balance it out, then a can of chopped tomatoes, and little vanilla to balance that.  It ended up great.  I added a table spoon or two or 3, of ghee to it.  Wanted some fat for mouth feel.  And put in a splash of vinegar for some counter brightness.

Today, Split Pea soup.   Split Peas 59 cents for a pound.  Didn't go vegetarian this time, used a beef bullion and some cut up ham.  Lots of smoked paprika, ground garlic, sea salt, pepper, hot pepper flakes, more moirepoix.  Added olive oil, early, as well as floated some on top later.  Plus some apple cider vinegar to help wake up some flavor.   Did a light blending to create a smoother texture.  Delicious. 

Winter and soup go together like Summer and fruit.

• Like 1

Winter and soup go together like Summer and fruit.

That's exactly right. 

I'm eating chicken soup with rice.  Family recipe.  One of the 3 soups I make most often, and the simplest. 

For Chinese New Year last week,  a friend who always celebrates by cooking at least half of all the dishes you would expect to see at a traditional Chinese New Year banquet (and half rather than everything only because I stop him or he'd kill himself cooking -- trying to do it the way his mom used to do it) made, among other things, a soup with three kinds of meat in it, something I've never done in my life.   Wow... 

• Like 1