dust

Extreme period pain

Hello dustybeijing,

My wife’s pain has been allievated by using gentle moxibustion during 5mn on these points, every other day, from the 18th day of the cycle until periods begin (I mean stop when periods begin)

M-CA- 18 (Zigong)

REN 2 (Qugu)

REN 4 (Guanyuan)

Perhaps your sister can try this on top of all the suggestions already made.

Take care,

• Like 1

Taking calcium supps ended cramps for me. If she has strong chocolate craving/addiction, I would also recommend magnesium and B6. She doesn't need to give up the chocolate, but may find she loses interest in it when she gets enough magnesium on board.

Good luck!

• Like 3

Female hormones are made out of saturated fat and cholesterol, believe it or not. 

I do believe it ^_^

Many years ago I learned something crazy about periods:  the hormonal profile of a woman in the first day of her monthly period is identical to that of a newborn baby, in whom, in turn, the levels of stress hormones are directly dependent on the level of traumatization during birth.  This gets imprinted, and if it was high, in a woman it will spike every month to replicate (in an attempt to resolve) that trauma.  (I don't know how it works in men, but my observations tell me it's got periodicity as well but either irregular or with a kind of regularity that is less predictable.)  The systemic trauma of modern birth is possible but very difficult to resolve.

Interesting. There was an issue with the umbilical cord being wrapped around her neck. Something to think about.

Other than that, I would look to Chinese herbs and acupuncture. 

So far, I don't think acupuncture has had any long-term effect in that area. Though I believe it could help if the right treatment were discovered.

• Like 1

Taking calcium supps ended cramps for me. If she has strong chocolate craving/addiction, I would also recommend magnesium and B6. She doesn't need to give up the chocolate, but may find she loses interest in it when she gets enough magnesium on board.

Oh, this must be why red raspberry leaf works so well to eliminate cramps.

Red Raspberry Leaf Tea is full of a naturally occurring calcium that is easily absorbed by the body.

In the smooth muscle of the uterus, calcium controls the depolarization of the cells. That in turn, allows the uterine muscle to receive oxygen and work efficiently. In other words, without a sufficient supply of calcium, only part of the uterine muscle will work as it should. This will strain the rest of the uterine muscle beyond reason, generating heat and stress on an already taxed body. 

Getting enough calcium also eases the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS). Calcium helps to regulate the hormones your body is flooded with every month. If your calcium supplies are adequate your body will not have to release as many of the hormones that cause PMS . Women who suffer fromPMS have elevated levels of these hormones during their menstrual cycle, and the symptoms of PMS, like cramping, irritability, and depression are all very similar to other calcium-deficient symptoms.

http://www.bulkherbstore.com/Red-Raspberry-Leaf-Cut-Organic

• Like 3

Acupuncture either works wonders or doesn't work at all depending on who administers it.  Make sure it's not an MD with acupuncture on the side, but rather an OMD or licensed acupuncturist who specializes in that.  Also, acupuncturists who don't practice qigong or taiji (ideally for many years) are not very efficient.  Not enough diagnostic sensitivity, not enough understanding of qi, not enough ability to guide it with needles.   Traditional practitioners have their whole body to use as a diagnostic/therapeutic facility, but quickie-mart  acupuncturists with their paint-by-numbers approach...  maybe for something minor they are useful, not for serious chronic problems.

By the way, does your (dustybeijing) name mean you live in Beijing?  I know a miracle worker there, not an acupuncturist, a massage therapist.  He works at a Buddhist temple the name of which I don't remember but I remember it was not far from Tiananmen square.  He blew my mind.  He tends to be perpetually drunk at work, verbally abusive of his patients, and explains everything that is going on by what he sees in the patient's past (with 90% accuracy, the remaining 10% unverifiable because, e.g., he talks about how someone got traumatized in infancy).  But his was the kind of touch that made me hear the music of the spheres he's attuned to.  I could feel that he "hears" everything in the body with his fingers.  He also makes a hilarious face when he encounters a problem area -- as though he's utterly disgusted, like a monkey who accidentally smeared his paws with something sticky and unpleasant.  And then, disgustedly, he removes that invisible "something."  After his treatment I felt as though he reshaped me to be 14 again -- it's like your whole body suddenly remembers what it's like at its best.

• Like 3

I used to live in Beijing, but no longer. Both sister and I are in UK.

I never found a really great massage there, in all honesty. Perhaps when I return on a visit I'll remember to try and find him.

Thanks for all the advice.

• Like 1

tonic herbs have a lot of hormone balancing functions, i reckon a formula like this would be helpful for such issues

Endocrine Health

Ingredients

Chinese Ginseng root, Prepared Rehmannia root, Schizandra fruit, Eucommia bark, Dang Gui root, Cornus officinalis fruit, Chinese Yam rhizome, Goji berry, Poria sclerotium, Chinese Licorice root, Epimedium leaf, Red Jujube fruit.

http://www.dragonherbs.com/prodinfo.asp?number=190

• Like 3

Would just like to thank everyone for their input.

Back in November I gave her a rather long list of potential treatments! She'd tried some of the things mentioned but was going to look into the others. I must be honest and say that I don't think anything's 'worked' yet, but time will tell.

Lack of healthy fats is a common cause of PMS pain, in my practice.

Castor oil packs on the abdomen help a lot. You need to do them daily for one full monthly cycle, stopping during menstruation and resuming after.

Just google it. Wool felt saturated in the oil with plastic wrap and a heating pad or hot water bottle on top is all you need.

P.S. If the castor oil gets on any material it will never come out, so plan accordingly!

Edited by Orion
  • Like 1

as it is  a cramping sensation, some women get relieve by taking magnesiumcitrate ( or an other form of magnesium), but the advice of both orion and michael resonate here.

i'm just happy it's behind me  :)

• Like 2