MooNiNite

Are we here for a purpose?

Naah. No "great wisdom" here, and not my job to try to convince you of anything.

Please don't lecture me with the words of others.  You talk with me.  I don't care what those others have said.  I do care about what "YOU" are saying in our conversation.

Naah. No "great wisdom" here, and not my job to try to convince you of anything.

Hehehe.  I had to check.

Please don't lecture me with the words of others.  You talk with me.  I don't care what those others have said.  I do care about what "YOU" are saying in our conversation.

I do as I please.  Take it or leave it.

Well, it has been far too peaceful on this forum recently.  A little fire to bring life back to that which we call reality.

I do as I please.  Take it or leave it.

I left it.

Your time and effort was wasted if it was on my account.

Okay.  Let's say that my purpose in being here is to live the life I have been afforded.  What does that mean?

A seed germinates.  A life is born.  A life is lived.  Life ends.  Full circle.  Where was the purpose?

Now we're getting somewhere. Honesty is a good start.

If you look back over your life, what do you see has been manifested? Love? Conflict? Wealth? Struggle? Unhappiness? Family? Loneliness? Friendship? Isolation? Loss?

Tell us, if you can.

UFA

• Like 1

Great addition to the thread.  I do try to be honest.

If you look back over your life, what do you see has been manifested? Love? Conflict? Wealth? Struggle? Unhappiness? Family? Loneliness? Friendship? Isolation? Loss?

Tell us, if you can.

All of the above, actually.  Yes, while living my life I have effected others.  Anyone who actually "lives" will do that naturally.

But was there a purpose behind any of it?  I doubt it.  Sure, in our physical life we sometimes do things on purpose; with intent.

And that phrase "with intent" is the root of the problem I have with any attempt to define a purpose for the life of anyone, including myself, or for life itself, for that matter.

Life on Earth happened because of many events that were long shots, like one in 80 billion.  There has been life on Earth for between 3.5 and 4 billion years (depending on who you listen to).  The conditions were right for life to evolve.

Why is there no known life on Venus?  Because conditions are not sufficient to support life.  That's all.

in the skipping child there is no crippled refrain or strain, they remind our burdened hearts and sad minds of deeper purposes,

so lets join in the dance, in the ever quickening for it does not perish and is to fast for death to grasp...

• Like 1

Great addition to the thread.  I do try to be honest.

All of the above, actually.  Yes, while living my life I have effected others.  Anyone who actually "lives" will do that naturally.

It's interesting that you take this particular path, which is just one of many. But it is the best place to start.

You describe yourself here as a metaphorical cog in a vast machine (I am oversimplifying, as there are at least three main cogs in your personal machine). You go about your life and I bet you would agree with me that most of your day consists of meaningless activities. Let us say, brushing your teeth, going to the store, picking up some milk and turkey, etc. Let's call these "survival activities". 

Now mankind is obsessed with survival activities. Everywhere you look, this is what you will see. Men acting as ants in a vast colony... Moms mechanically carting their kids around to dance, soccer, and karate classes ("Children are the greatest gift in life!" they robotically chant). Throngs of people climbing on buses and trains, clocking in at jobs they hate, to collect paychecks to sustain their lives... All fueled by a vast system which has been put in place to perpetuate the system. Beer, electronics, video games, music, etc. promoted largely by appeal to our most basic animal drives: sex and violence.

A system maintained unconsciously by the very same people who are affected by it, ironically enough. But eventually they grow tired or disillusioned and are replaced, just like any worn cog will be in a well-maintained machine. 

Are we on the same page so far? If so, what happens next to all of those people?

But was there a purpose behind any of it?  I doubt it.  Sure, in our physical life we sometimes do things on purpose; with intent.

I think that is rarely the case. I would argue that 99.999% of everything that happens in physical life occurs without any conscious intent. Perhaps there are a few instances in each person's history in which they made a truly conscious decision.

And that phrase "with intent" is the root of the problem I have with any attempt to define a purpose for the life of anyone, including myself, or for life itself, for that matter.

Life on Earth happened because of many events that were long shots, like one in 80 billion.  There has been life on Earth for between 3.5 and 4 billion years (depending on who you listen to).  The conditions were right for life to evolve.

If you go back a bit further to the beginning on the universe, physicists tell us that there were no physical laws at that point (No matter, no energy, nor anything which can be a consequence of those realities).

Then the big bang occurred, after which the physical laws became manifest. Prior to this point, there was no speed of light, because there was no light. Afterwards, the speed of light, the constant c,  "evolved" from that initial event. 

These physicists go on to tell us that the of these hundreds of different known physical laws, the allowable range within which any possibility for life (or even matter in some cases) is very small. The "odds" of our universe existing at all are unfathomably infinitesimal. It's unthinkable that we even exist and that is a very difficult point for some people, when they choose to think about it at all. Their only resort is to appeal to survivorship bias... that ours is the only universe of trillions that survived. But that's rather silly because numbers and statistics don't exist before the big bang, do they.

Science: "Give me just one miracle and we'll explain the rest".

Why is there no known life on Venus?  Because conditions are not sufficient to support life.  That's all.

There's a lot of assumptions in that statement. It's probably better to keep the conversation closer to home.

UFA

in the skipping child there is no crippled refrain or strain, they remind our burdened hearts and sad minds of deeper purposes,

so lets join in the dance, in the ever quickening for it does not perish and is to fast for death to grasp...

Oh, I still dance.  It looks wierd what with my broken hip but that doesn't matter.

Yes, the joy in a child's heart has no purpose.  It's there because it is supposed to be there.

"oh nuts":  the downward working or permutations of the law of seven ...

time to punt

• Like 1

Oh, I still dance. It looks wierd what with my broken hip but that doesn't matter.

Yes, the joy in a child's heart has no purpose. It's there because it is supposed to be there.

"...supposed to be..."???

• Like 1

The Sage is like a wise child that can't be crushed or forced to stop dancing, for the life-force and quickening that moves the child also moves the willing Sage per it's purpose, and in that way the Sage's purpose is also fulfilled in being a fit steward to the world...

I gotta run to HomeDepot, on purpose, even though it may only be derived from the "plans of mice and men."

Edited by 3bob
  • Like 1

Following desires leads to extinction of desires....purpose is extinction of desires over the millennia, and return to the state of desirelessness, until the choice is made again to enter the fray of ignorance and fragmentation. It cyclical and infinite. Moving from one place to another for different space/time/reality views. God watching itself from the angles....

• Like 1

"oh nuts":  the downward working or permutations of the law of seven ...

time to punt

I'm not sure about the law of seven but nuts are good.

Yeah, sometimes we need back up ten and punt.

To reiterate, the idea of "meaninglessness" or "no purpose to anything" is a defense mechanism against having to take responsibility for your life.  It is a type of "ignorance" in the sense of ignoring the actual truth in favor of blind self-absorption.

As humans living on earth, we have a certain perspective...

Everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlHRSpFGtQk

and remember... there is no dark side of the moon... matter of fact, its all dark...

"...supposed to be..."???

Yeah, I had to add that.  It just felt like the right thing to do.

But yes, a child's life should be full of joy.  I realize that there are many who don't know joy as I understand it but that's because of factors beyond their control.

The Sage is like a wise child that can't be crushed or forced to stop dancing, for the life-force and quickening that moves the child also moves the willing Sage per it's purpose, and in that way the Sage's purpose is also fulfilled in being a fit steward to the world...

I gotta run to HomeDepot, on purpose, even though it may only be derived from the "plans of mice and men."

Yeah, I had a visit so had to shut down for a while.

I will agree with your first paragraph although it was the Sage's purpose, not anyone else's,

Following desires leads to extinction of desires....purpose is extinction of desires over the millennia, and return to the state of desirelessness, until the choice is made again to enter the fray of ignorance and fragmentation. It cyclical and infinite. Moving from one place to another for different space/time/reality views. God watching itself from the angles....

Wow!  You talked me right out of words with that one.