MooNiNite

Are we here for a purpose?

The Universe does not know its own purpose. But it evolves in spirals of increasing complexity, truth, beauty and goodness. It just is, and blissfully so.

• Like 1

There is no purpose other than the one we, the individual, place upon it.

There is no purpose - there is cause and effect.

There is no purpose other than the one we, the individual, place upon it.

There is no purpose - there is cause and effect.

this is quite silly...

is there a purpose for your asshole?  yes, its how you take a shit

doesnt matter if you as an "individual" ascribe that meaning or not

its pure mechanics

It seems a recurring element of human nature to ascribe to something no purpose until one recognizes that purpose.

"The law of three" per the fragments is another way or saying, "The Three" in Daoism.

Yes, in his terms the "absolute" or "common father endlessness" is the undivided source, and the three principals of positive, negative, and neutralizing arise from it to create all the worlds (universes).  However, these are not fixed designations but rather descriptions of their activity at a given moment...

"Before examining these influences," began G., "and the laws of transformation of Unity into Plurality, we must examine the fundamental law that creates all phenomena in all the diversity or unity of all universes.

"This is the 'Law of Three' or the law of the three principles or the three forces. It consists of the fact that every phenomenon, on whatever scale and in whatever world it may take place, from molecular to cosmic phenomena, is the result of the combination or the meeting of three different and opposing forces. Contemporary thought realizes the existence of two forces and the necessity of these two forces for the production of a phenomenon: force and resistance, positive and negative magnetism, positive and negative electricity, male and female cells, and so on. But it does not observe even these two forces always and everywhere. No question has ever been raised as to the third, or if it has been raised it has scarcely been heard.

"According to real, exact knowledge, one force, or two forces, can never produce a phenomenon. The presence of a third force is necessary, for it is only with the help of a third force that the first two can produce what may be called a phenomenon, no matter in what sphere.

"The teaching of the three forces is at the root of all ancient systems. The first force may be called active or positive; the second, passive or negative; the third, neutralizing. But these are merely names, for in reality all three forces are equally active and appear as active, passive, and neutralizing, only at their meeting points, that is to say, only in relation to one another at a given moment. The first two forces are more or less comprehensible to man and the third may sometimes be discovered either at the point of application of the forces, or in the 'medium,' or in the 'result.' But, speaking in general, the third force is not easily accessible to direct observation and understanding. The reason for this is to be found in the functional limitations of man's ordinary psychological activity and in the fundamental categories of our perception of the phenomenal world, that is, in our sensation of space and time resulting from these limitations. People cannot perceive and observe the third force directly any more than they can spatially perceive the 'fourth dimension.'

"But by studying himself, the manifestations of his thought, consciousness, activity—his habits, his desires, and so on—man may learn to observe and to see in himself the action of the three forces.

this is quite silly...

is there a purpose for your asshole?  yes, its how you take a shit

doesnt matter if you as an "individual" ascribe that meaning or not

its pure mechanics

We weren't talking about assholes, were we?

And then you ended saying basically the same thing I said.

The question was "Are we here for a purpose?"  There is no purpose.  Shit happens.

It seems a recurring element of human nature to ascribe to something no purpose until one recognizes that purpose.

And you have found a purpose?

I would say there is more to it than that. There are plenty of people that have the perspective that there is not a purpose, not a meaning to events and the general workings of phenomena.  More often than not, it seems to be wishful thinking in the sense of avoiding the consequences of their actions, and not having to be responsible for their own life.  It is a way of saying karma (or cause and effect) doesnt exist.  In many cases, there is an observable element of fear involved as well - as though they are trying to hide from their own intuition.

• Like 1

There are plenty of people that have the perspective that there is not a purpose, not a meaning to events and the general workings of phenomena.  More often than not, it seems to be wishful thinking in the sense of avoiding the consequences of their actions, and not having to be responsible for their own life.  It is a way of saying karma (or cause and effect) doesnt exist.  In many cases, there is an observable element of fear involved as well - as though they are trying to hide from their own intuition.

So apparently you too have found a purpose as to "Are we here for a purpose?"

We weren't talking about assholes, were we?

And then you ended saying basically the same thing I said.

The question was "Are we here for a purpose?"  There is no purpose.  Shit happens.

There is a purpose for you just as their is a purpose for your asshole.  You cannot separate one mechanical part of the universe from another in the grand scheme of things.  You yourself may just be an asshole of the earth (or other apparatus) - in other words, you are just another mechanical part.

The idea you have of yourself as an "individual" is the blind spot.  It is not a naturally given phenomena, but rather a hard won achievement.

There is a purpose for you just as their is a purpose for your asshole.  You cannot separate one mechanical part of the universe from another in the grand scheme of things.  You yourself may just be an asshole of the earth (or other apparatus) - in other words, you are just another mechanical part.

The idea you have of yourself as an "individual" is the blind spot.  It is not a naturally given phenomena, but rather a hard won achievement.

I see you saying that your purpose is that of being an asshole.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So apparently you too have found a purpose as to "Are we here for a purpose?"

I see you saying that your purpose is that of being an asshole.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You are reacting the same as a toddler would.  How old are you again?

Sometimes the truth hurts, old man.  Especially when it involves ignoring something as vital as the reason for your existence.  

Oh well... Maybe next time around, eh?

I would say there is more to it than that. There are plenty of people that have the perspective that there is not a purpose, not a meaning to events and the general workings of phenomena.  More often than not, it seems to be wishful thinking in the sense of avoiding the consequences of their actions, and not having to be responsible for their own life.  It is a way of saying karma (or cause and effect) doesnt exist.  In many cases, there is an observable element of fear involved as well - as though they are trying to hide from their own intuition.

We see the same phenomenon with scientific materialism. Things aren't real unless explained by science and then are simply easily explained facts of science and nothing more. In this manner, nothing unexplainable exists (almost by definition) and the scientific materialist remains comfortable in his or her scientific materialism.

You are reacting the same as a toddler would.  How old are you again?

No, I am challenging your very inappropriate comment about asshole in post #36.  I am 74 years old and that makes me too old to take shit from anyone and not shit back.

If you can't handle the heat then don't start a fire.

And you have found a purpose?

Yes. Remembering our purpose is part of the journey, you see.

No, I am challenging your very inappropriate comment about asshole in post #36.  I am 74 years old and that makes me too old to take shit from anyone and not shit back.

If you can't handle the heat then don't start a fire.

You mistake immaturity for heat.  I can show you the difference.

Let us proceed.

Sometimes the truth hurts, old man.  Especially when it involves ignoring something as vital as the reason for your existence.  

Oh well... Maybe next time around, eh?

Truth?  You have been talking bullshit.  How could I not respond?

A purpose is vital it my existence?  When did that come to be?

Yeah, maybe next time.  It would work out better if you just stayed with the topic instead of trying to make other members look bad just because they have a different understand than you have.

Yes. Remembering our purpose is part of the journey, you see.

Okay.  Let's say that my purpose in being here is to live the life I have been afforded.  What does that mean?

A seed germinates.  A life is born.  A life is lived.  Life ends.  Full circle.  Where was the purpose?

If you think you have no purpose it simply means you haven't recognized your purpose, or that your rational mind succeeded in repressing that recognition -- which is effectively the same thing.

We used to think the human appendix (vermiform appendix) had no "purpose" but now understand otherwise.

It is as simple as the food chain.  You should be able to understand this.  You must eat to live, you must kill a living being in order for your survival to continue.

You are not separate from this process.  You certainly may wish to be, that is obviously understandable.  But you are not.

The desperation you exhibit here betrays your human mind's futile reaction to your human body's knowingness.  The dichotomy of this misalignment has numerous implications... and they are preordained.  It is part of the test, the challenge, the work.

• Like 1

If you think you have no purpose it simply means you haven't recognized your purpose, or that your rational mind succeeded in repressing that recognition -- which is effectively the same thing.

We used to think the human appendix (vermiform appendix) had no "purpose" but now understand otherwise.

So now you are suggesting that it is I who does not recognize that I have a purpose and that I have no idea what it might be.

My, my.  Such great wisdom.

Hitler had a purpose.  That one didn't turn out so well.

Bill gates had a purpose.  It took hold of him and he couldn't let go of it.  But he too will die.

It is as simple as the food chain.  You should be able to understand this.  You must eat to live, you must kill a living being in order for your survival to continue.

Okay, I can agree with you here.  Survival means we continue to live for a while longer.  Whatever it takes.

You are not separate from this process.  You certainly may wish to be, that is obviously understandable.  But you are not.

No, I don't wish to be separate.  I am a part of the process.  It is the process that has no purpose.

The desperation you exhibit here

You are bullshitting me here, Right?  I'm the one who doesn't give a shit, Remember?

betrays your human mind's futile reaction to your human body's knowingness.  The dichotomy of this misalignment has numerous implications... and they are preordained.  It is part of the test, the challenge, the work.

You said nothing here.

Tapas (tapas, Sanskrit: तपस्) means deep meditation, effort to achieve self-realization, sometimes involving solitude or asceticism; it is derived from the word root tap (Sanskrit: तप् or ताप) which depending on context means "heat" from fire or weather, or blaze, burn, shine, penance, pain, suffering, mortification

If one watches whence the notion ‘I’ arises, the mind gets absorbed there; that is tapas. When a mantra is repeated, if one watches whence that mantra sound arises, the mind gets absorbed there; that is tapas.

- Ramana Maharshi

" 'Buffer' is a term which requires special explanation. We know what buffers on railway carriages are. They are the contrivances which lessen the shock when carriages or trucks strike one another.

"Exactly the same appliances are to be found within man. They are created, not by nature but by man himself, although involuntarily. The cause of their appearance is the existence in man of many contradictions; contradictions of opinions, feelings, sympathies, words, and actions. If a man throughout the whole of his life were to feel all the contradictions that are within him he could not live and act as calmly as he lives and acts now. He would have constant friction, constant unrest. We fail to see how contradictory and hostile the different I's of our personality are to one another. If a man were to feel all these contradictions he would feel what he really is. He would feel that he is mad. It is not pleasant to anyone to feel that he is mad. Moreover, a thought such as this deprives a man of self-confidence, weakens his energy, deprives him of 'self-respect.' Somehow or other he must master this thought or banish it. He must either destroy contradictions or cease to see and to feel them. A man cannot destroy contradictions. But if 'buffers' are created in him he can cease to feel them and he will not feel the impact from the clash of contradictory views, contradictory emotions, contradictory words.

"'Buffers' are created slowly and gradually. Very many 'buffers' are created artificially through 'education.' Others are created under the hypnotic influence of all surrounding life. A man is surrounded by people who live, speak, think, and feel by means of 'buffers.' Imitating them in their opinions, actions, and words, a man involuntarily creates similar 'buffers' in himself. 'Buffers' make a man's life more easy. It is very hard to live without 'buffers.' But they keep man from the possibility of inner development because 'buffers' are made to lessen shocks and it is only shocks that can lead a man out of the state in which he lives, that is, waken him. 'Buffers' lull a man to sleep, give him the agreeable and peaceful sensation that all will be well, that no contradictions exist and that he can sleep in peace. 'Buffers' are appliances by means of which a man can always be in the right. 'Buffers' help a man not to feel his conscience.