BaguaKicksAss

Dalai Lama says no need for successor

True, but you'd get to travel.

Not to South Africa though. Or China. Or Tibet.

Political to keep politics out of it for the future ;).

yep - he wants tibet to have a modern political system, with electable officials and so forth, so he has to do this

• Like 1

A yellow hat at that.

Very fetching is yellow.

It goes with robes well also, the whole ensemble is both classy and extravagant at the same time. The current one has also flawless accessorizing, his watch game is tight, the possibilities are intriguing! Lets just hope he doesnt do a Castro and shows up in a tracksuit.

Hats aside (much as it goes against me), i was more taken by this piece of news than i originally thought.

Most of all i like the fact that he dismantles an institution in one fell swoop, but also i feel a sense of pride, maybe the bodhisattva is of the mind that "ah, they're good for now, i dont need to involve myself in this process at this point."

He'll come back and discover we burnt the house down but we've learned a big lesson.

I get moody around now, we're up for elections in my country this sunday. Four year cycle, this shizzeit over here is going to be boiling with petty bad sportsmanship and soon the DL is taking a leave of absence, the pope wont budge and bonafide neo-nazis are in parliament in germany. The dao treats everyone like a straw dog right?

Happily, she also gathers in impopular places, i'll find one out and wait for her there.

The Great Lama

A thing that has always interested me about the dalai lama was the virtue that came with it.

Just think about it we as westerners can sense the virtue of the title even though it has no direct effect in our lives.

Theres something to it.

Something I cant place.

But my intuition says that he is needed and that he is good and that it represents one of the last unbroken lines of spirituality left in the world.

And something like the hes guardian of but I dont know what but that the vibe I get.

Edited by JinlianPai

All hail Drogon.

At the conjoining of three valleys
Which one calls Khule Sarel – the Fissure in the Earth –
An emanation of the Holder of the Jewel will manifest
From the summit of the large rock resembling a cube,
He will embark upon the teaching of the Dharma

Apparently it might be a mistranslation, as he has talked about this subject many times before in similar ways http://www.tricycle.com/blog/end-dalai-lama?_ga=1.92078553.25840844.1410454927

But it looks like the Chinese officials believe it as they have come out with this unbelievable statement this morning: “China follows a policy of freedom of religion and belief, and this naturally includes having to respect and protect the ways of passing on Tibetan Buddhism.”

Apparently it might be a mistranslation, as he has talked about this subject many times before in similar ways http://www.tricycle.com/blog/end-dalai-lama?_ga=1.92078553.25840844.1410454927]http://www.tricycle.com/blog/end-dalai-lama?_ga=1.92078553.25840844.1410454927[/url]

But it looks like the Chinese officials believe it as they have come out with this unbelievable statement this morning: China follows a policy of freedom of religion and belief, and this naturally includes having to respect and protect the ways of passing on Tibetan Buddhism.

Just finished reading a recent book by a guy who cycled across Xinjiang in China as part of a 'round the world' trek.

That's the area that Tibet has been included in and it is huge.

Buddhism is the religion and the guy was welcomed to stay in Buddhist temples and homes along the way.

Maybe back in the Cultural Revolution days the Chinese Government clamped down on religion but not now so much.

Tibetan style Buddhism is very fashionable with middle class Chinese right now.

Posters on DW were commenting on the large numbers of Chinese at a recent 'empowerment'.

The DL is possibly being pragmatic insofar as perhaps in years to come the need for his 'government in exile' won't exist if Tibet falls in with how things are in the rest on Xinjiang.

If no one is being persecuted for their religion......

( and I am NOT claiming that might not be the case in Tibet right now. We can't know for sure because we only hear from special pleaders as to what goes on there)...

then without persecution they'll simply rock on without any need for a DL-government in exile-over in India.

Edited by GrandmasterP