Sign in to follow this  
Unseen_Abilities

Rare Martial Arts (post them)

I hate it when someone posts the Helen Liang Liuhebafa it's the wushu competition variation and completely empty. Here are some more... 'legitimate' representations of the art.

Wai Lun Choi's student in Chicago

The late master David Chan and his son

Mok Kei Fai

• Like 1

Kendo:

Iaido:

Can anyone input on the difference between the 2?

The first guy (Haga Junichi) is in his body about killing people. The second guy (Sato Yosoichi) is in his body about wielding a sword. To my eye Sato is a bit toothless. Precise, beautifully practised and meditative, but no 狠心 hěnxīn, no hardness of the heart that gets the job done no matter what. I am not saying Sato is not excellent, but Haga shows more of the liveliness that the chaos of battle requires for adaptability. So for me, I prefer Haga's Iaido over Sato's.

The armour grappling is Kumi-Uchi, an art now largely lost. It had many locks and throws designed specifically for the characteristics of Samurai armour.

Edited by kevin_wallbridge
  • Like 3

Rare enough...

The Korean martial art Hwa Rang Do. Traditional training in this art includes all kinds of skills: Strikes, kicks, throws, locks, a variety of weapons techniques but also knowledge of healing arts. Something like a Korean equivalent of Shaolin or Ninjutsu.

Of course, all the high kicks and jumps in this choreographed show have not much to do with realistic self-defence - but the performers' artistic skills are awesome. Enjoy!

• Like 2

That part was not one of the familar ones ... it usually went; evade, block / cover, hit (sting, whip, distraction, etc) then lock, manipulate control, then deliver the end one... no need for flurry of hits.

Better yet, evade, block/deflect/cover and hit all at once, or almost at once (one of the things Funakoshi suggests in his book but which I couldn't understand adequately at the time - right, it's one of those essential things you can only do once you have trained the old rising block/reverse punch thing for a couple of decades :D ).

Yes, applying a lock/hold can be a good idea after that - usually it shouldn't be attempted before you have softened them up.

Generally speaking, I would say, whenever you need more than three strikes to down an opponent, you have a problem.

Same here too , no going to ground like that ... fighting 'from' the ground in a very low stance / squat, or , one takedown, the arm or whatever would be broken in the process of the person taken down for a low kick to the eye or throat (with big toe).

Don't forget to take your shoes off for this one.

He was always ; ' relax, relax ... whipping movement ... natural ... alignment ...'

Whipping movements are key in my own martial arts synthesis, too.

Legs can be treated as arms in a way ... those type of throws are really bad for the kicker :D

If you can catch that leg. Same holds true for arms, of course. Capturing a limb is not always easy to do in a realistic scenario with a non-cooperative opponent, especially since most schools don't train this skill much.

( Soken style - not really kicking above the waist.)

Agreed, keep it low for realism - otherwise, you're in danger to have your leg grabbed, expose your groin to an attack, slip, or - in the case of a woman wearing a short skirt - show off more than you intend. :D Kicks to the bladder area are pretty effective, btw.

Recently I worked on my bunkai for 'Nabuti Nogata' ( sic ?) ... figured out how a move we were taught (that seemed BS) could be applied against a staff strike and a disarm ... also works against a straight punch ... I tried it against a kick and it works as a groin strike and throw ( throwing by leaving the leg while still holding the testicles ( no ... in training I throw by grabbing the baggy pants crutch) ... but because it using the leg instead of the arm or staff for leverage --- its deadly!

Never heard of "Nabuti Nogata". :huh:

Yeah, I should have been clearer ... I also mean everyone else that did it too eg. no kicking or grabbing the nuts and throwing people by them ... really ! (Comes in with an open crutch to deliver a roundhouse kick to the head. ... some even do 'full contact' with no head punches ... I wouldnt like to get into that habit.

I once tried a high roundhouse kick when sparring with a Judo guy. He moved in close really fast and put me on my buttocks in no time. That made me think.

Noooo ! Funakoshi was after the first corruption, a generation after ... he got a bit of dis in Japan when called out to show the Bunkai from his Kata and couldnt / wouldnt show them (apologies if I got that wrong and that was someone after or contemporary).

Well, what I once heard was that Funakoshi only felt confident to demonstrate Tekki/Naihanchi kata. This wouldn't be so surprising, because in Okinawa it wasn't seen as necessary to learn a multitude of katas, because you could find all you'd ever need in a single one - if you knew all its applications! It's not much of an exaggeration to say that a kata was a whole style in its own right, in those days.

They were never taught them nor really encouraged to think for themselves.

Independent thinking is not encouraged in totalitarian systems.

Here is a good starting point to show these realisations starting to appear in Shotokan ( the above triad; the King and the two bodyguards are on the cover)

http://www.amazon.com/Shotokans-Secret-Expanded-Edition-Fighting/dp/0897501888

I have this book. It's a good one, but I need to re-read it.

For a back ground on why it occurred there are some articles from serious scholars on aikiweb that analyse the effect Japanese cultural mores and taboos effected development and 'dissemination' .

Looks like you didn't succeed posting the link.

I really should learn how to use this form....

Quote old school style:

"Generally speaking, I would say, whenever you need more than three strikes to down an opponent, you have a problem"

from the post above.

This is usually not the case in my experience. This whole one hit one kill thing is such a myth.

I once spared against a guy, and accidentally kicked him right in the junk hard enough to break a couple of my toes and he didn't eve go to the floor, and we both continued fighting, Me more-so out of pride because he didn't have to stop.

I've also done a lot of security and door work, and when your adrenaline is up you can take a lot of abuse. In that environment, its usually something as simple as a wrist lock and take down that can de-escalate the situation.

anyway, enough of a rant...

Just, don't count on that one hit to end the brawl idea, You'll get your but handed to you.

Regards.

• Like 2

I think it is now time for me to leave this thread, although a passion fight talk is not the reason I joined the site.

All the best.

Better yet, evade, block/deflect/cover and hit all at once, or almost at once

all simultaneous before the 'then' ... " evade, block / cover, hit (sting, whip, distraction, etc) then lock ... " even that is not quiet right, (trying to be brief), in many cases it would be (again all at he same time) ; evade and 'block' by striking in to a sensitive parts of the attacking limb, while the other hand / arm takes control (it comes from white crane style) , then the first arm strikes back as a preliminary to applying a lock or control, which is to deliver a decisive technique, while the opponent is in a controlled and weak position, I suppose there could be up to 3 hits before the control in some cases.

I also agree with David 62 about the sometimes ineffectiveness of the 'one-punch' (sometimes ... I know a bareknuckle boxer who could easily do it in most fights) I have also seen a big Maori get a running / jump / swinging flagon smashed right upside his head ... he shook like a dog shaking off water and turned around and shaped up to the guy.

Shotokan used to teach the 'one punch kill' .... that takes a lot of training ! ... and precise targeting.

(one of the things Funakoshi suggests in his book but which I couldn't understand adequately at the time - right, it's one of those essential things you can only do once you have trained the old rising block/reverse punch thing for a couple of decades :D ).

You would not believe what I was taught back then ! Later, in a different context and understanding the real (er) application many things made sense ( like the senseless windups ... we had to extend the other arm out straight at 45 deg up with fingers pointed, then draw that arm back while closing the hand into a fist then sliding the other arm up along it when the opposite retracts to the hip - just for an 'upward block' :) hooo boy ... the reasons I heard for doing that back then :D ... no one would have refuted what we were told , even though back then we must have known ( ? ) that you can just slap a punch away (if you are set up with position or evasion) . It was the same for each block ... and taught to practice front kick from a deep low fore ward stance with arms and fists out and down to sides at 45 degrees ( with an angle check ) WTF!

Yes, applying a lock/hold can be a good idea after that - usually it shouldn't be attempted before you have softened them up.

Same for a whole range of strikes as well.

Generally speaking, I would say, whenever you need more than three strikes to down an opponent, you have a problem.

Don't forget to take your shoes off for this one.

I seen guys put their big toe through a board ... but this type of kicking works good with shoes .... did you read my comment elsewhere about the steel-capped moccasins ?

Whipping movements are key in my own martial arts synthesis, too.

If you can catch that leg. Same holds true for arms, of course. Capturing a limb is not always easy to do in a realistic scenario with a non-cooperative opponent, especially since most schools don't train this skill much.

" non-cooperative opponent" :) ... I always want to put up some youtube vid on that . People used to find me very annoying in Aikido when I wouldnt 'roll for them' .... I prefer to roll after I am thrown.

I was even told Aikido was two parts ; one does a technique and the other rolls , I said, no, one does a technique and the other tries to smash his head into the ground, the first tries to avoid a broken neck and the second then allows him to roll out by releasing grip before the damaging take down, because he is a training partner. The person was horrified and told me Aikido was meant to be non-violent .... ha!

(Thats why I keep some of those old pics of Ueshiba , evading a sword blow while striking into the eyes with the end of a fan, etc. )

- They block catch strike with a reversed fist inside the shin bone or the side of the kneecap ( see beginning of Niharchin Nidan) ... although its very hard to do to a quick snapping kick ... all of this is just if the opportunity is presented to you.

Agreed, keep it low for realism - otherwise, you're in danger to have your leg grabbed, expose your groin to an attack, slip, or - in the case of a woman wearing a short skirt - show off more than you intend. :D Kicks to the bladder area are pretty effective, btw.

I dont like the big toe kick to the prostrate :angry: ...

Never heard of "Nabuti Nogata". :huh:

I have never seen it online ... could be my spelling , forgot where it came from ... its part of the weapons stuff that Mr Nishihira didnt teach but was passed on (via Ted Lange) from Hohan Soken. It is supposedly an unarmed disarming the bo kata. Its got some great moves in it ( well the bunkai has ... the kata looks like a funny dance in parts .

I once tried a high roundhouse kick when sparring with a Judo guy. He moved in close really fast and put me on my buttocks in no time. That made me think.

My jiu-jitsu mate did that to me while we mucking around ... He is big and heavy ... then he stopped and showed me how we would have landed if he hadnt pulled his knee back - with all his weight through his knee on to my groin :blink:

Same with reverse roundhouse , if you can close in fast you can catch the whole body and slam it down.

Well, what I once heard was that Funakoshi only felt confident to demonstrate Tekki/Naihanchi kata. This wouldn't be so surprising, because in Okinawa it wasn't seen as necessary to learn a multitude of katas, because you could find all you'd ever need in a single one - if you knew all its applications! It's not much of an exaggeration to say that a kata was a whole style in its own right, in those days.

From what I have seen, Tekki is very different to Naiharchin , as Henan is from Penan. As far as 'single' kata idea goes Mr Nishihira's one was Naiharchin Shodan .... which, after a while, one can see much 'crane technique' in (even though the 'highest' kata was Hukatsuru - the crane ) . Matsamua developed the style based on Chinese arts mixed with local ones (he may have been of Chinese decent himself ... check the photos in that book you have) ... mostly white crane, Niharchin, Hukatsuru, Chinto ( from a Chinese pirate Matsamura fought and couldnt defeat) and Kusanku , from a Chinese envoy (I think, at the time of Matsamura's teacher ? ) ... co a lot of Chinese influence , as many things in Okinawa.

Independent thinking is not encouraged in totalitarian systems.

I have this book. It's a good one, but I need to re-read it.

There is a revised ed out with supposedly more info and pages ... my old one got flogged by a karate instructor <_<

Looks like you didn't succeed posting the link..

I didnt try to .... its a very full site, I'd have to find the papers I mean .... I can find the link and post it for you if you want to read it, its detailed Aikido history and dissemination but is basically about the Japanese mind set ... and that applies to the disemination of karate as well. The thing with the research, even the researchers freak out a bit ... especially the 'spirit' and 'Kami' stuff ... its a different mind set and confuses many westerners ... especially with Ueshiba, who was even back then and to his students, a 'relic' who also spoke an arcane form of Japanese.

The concept of him battling Kami in his garden at night with his sword ( which turned out to be himself) seems a bit much for some ... some here on TTBs might not have a problem with that :D )

Maybe tomorrow ... (nearly out of internet cred at the moment).

Edited by Nungali

all simultaneous before the 'then' ... " evade, block / cover, hit (sting, whip, distraction, etc) then lock ... " even that is not quiet right, (trying to be brief), in many cases it would be (again all at he same time) ; evade and 'block' by striking in to a sensitive parts of the attacking limb, while the other hand / arm takes control (it comes from white crane style) , then the first arm strikes back as a preliminary to applying a lock or control, which is to deliver a decisive technique, while the opponent is in a controlled and weak position, I suppose there could be up to 3 hits before the control in some cases.

I also agree with David 62 about the sometimes ineffectiveness of the 'one-punch' (sometimes ... I know a bareknuckle boxer who could easily do it in most fights) I have also seen a big Maori get a running / jump / swinging flagon smashed right upside his head ... he shook like a dog shaking off water and turned around and shaped up to the guy.

Shotokan used to teach the 'one punch kill' .... that takes a lot of training ! ... and precise targeting.

It's for a reason that I didn't write "one hit" but "three". If one technique (or none, for that matter) resolves the issue, all the better... Just be ready and know how to keep going if one is not enough.

A few more things... It's true that you often see full contact fighters who keep knocking the crap out of each other for quite a while. But even in the most ferocious types of tournament there are still rules prohibiting certain techniques (well, except in the fights JKA seniors Gigo Funakoshi and Shigeru Egami were conducting when training special units for going on WWII missions - that is, the ones who survived the education!). The ability to finish an altercation quickly is not only a matter of power, but also of knowing where (your "precise targeting") and how to hit - most kyusho are reactive when struck in certain directions, but less so in others. This is not generally part of the sport training.

What it boils down to is something Roosevelt said: Avoid hitting at all if you can, but if you have to hit - never hit soft!

You would not believe what I was taught back then ! Later, in a different context and understanding the real (er) application many things made sense ( like the senseless windups ... we had to extend the other arm out straight at 45 deg up with fingers pointed, then draw that arm back while closing the hand into a fist then sliding the other arm up along it when the opposite retracts to the hip - just for an 'upward block' :) hooo boy ... the reasons I heard for doing that back then :D ... no one would have refuted what we were told , even though back then we must have known ( ? ) that you can just slap a punch away (if you are set up with position or evasion) . It was the same for each block ... and taught to practice front kick from a deep low fore ward stance with arms and fists out and down to sides at 45 degrees ( with an angle check ) WTF!

Same for a whole range of strikes as well.

Sounds pretty much like your standard Shotokan training. Most of these moves (besides some exaggerated ones) do have their practical application. It's too bad that it is usually just not what the instructor thinks it is. :wacko: It's as if they got a bike and keep thinking that they would have to push off from the ground by their feet all the time.

I seen guys put their big toe through a board ... but this type of kicking works good with shoes .... did you read my comment elsewhere about the steel-capped moccasins ?

I heard of an Okinawan Uechi ryu practitioner who punched a hole into a big steel milk can by his big toe.

Um, yes, I remember your moccasins. I would ask you to take them off if you were going to spar with me.

" non-cooperative opponent" :) ... I always want to put up some youtube vid on that . People used to find me very annoying in Aikido when I wouldnt 'roll for them' .... I prefer to roll after I am thrown.

I once asked my Aikido teacher in Japan about this, and he said, we practice with resistance from about 3rd dan on! I hope a real-life assailant attacking prematurely would kindly be mindful of this.

I was even told Aikido was two parts ; one does a technique and the other rolls , I said, no, one does a technique and the other tries to smash his head into the ground, the first tries to avoid a broken neck and the second then allows him to roll out by releasing grip before the damaging take down, because he is a training partner. The person was horrified and told me Aikido was meant to be non-violent .... ha!

When once practising with a senior, I told him that I could hit him if he was doing a certain move the way he did. His answer was: "You're doing Aikido, so you don't want to hit me!" I informed him that I'm also doing Karate... Next I thought I should simply have demonstrated to him what I meant. :D

(Thats why I keep some of those old pics of Ueshiba , evading a sword blow while striking into the eyes with the end of a fan, etc. )

Ueshiba actually once said that 90% or so of Aikido is striking. :o Btw, he was also active in that special units programme, prior to the JKA. But the people in charge thought Aikido was too time consuming to learn.

- They block catch strike with a reversed fist inside the shin bone or the side of the kneecap ( see beginning of Niharchin Nidan) ... although its very hard to do to a quick snapping kick ... all of this is just if the opportunity is presented to you.

I dont like the big toe kick to the prostrate :angry: ...

Sounds like the Taiji lotus kick. Needless to say, this kata move has a couple of applications. Blocking a kick to the genitals (as I have heard stated) is not one of them (you would actually help the assailant deliver the kick where you definitely don't want it to go. :blink:)

From what I have seen, Tekki is very different to Naiharchin , as Henan is from Penan. As far as 'single' kata idea goes Mr Nishihira's one was Naiharchin Shodan .... which, after a while, one can see much 'crane technique' in (even though the 'highest' kata was Hukatsuru - the crane ) . Matsamua developed the style based on Chinese arts mixed with local ones (he may have been of Chinese decent himself ... check the photos in that book you have) ... mostly white crane, Niharchin, Hukatsuru, Chinto ( from a Chinese pirate Matsamura fought and couldnt defeat) and Kusanku , from a Chinese envoy (I think, at the time of Matsamura's teacher ? ) ... co a lot of Chinese influence , as many things in Okinawa.

There is a revised ed out with supposedly more info and pages ... my old one got flogged by a karate instructor <_<

Still haven't located my copy yet. Anyway, your mention of White Crane is interesting. It's a very influential "mother style" which has a lot of good stuff in it, including kyusho and tuite. I mostly got to know it by the books and videos of Jwing Ming Yang and George Alexander - the latter showing the Okinawan version, Matsumura seito shorin ryu, which Hohan Soken introduced and which you are referring to.

I didnt try to .... its a very full site, I'd have to find the papers I mean .... I can find the link and post it for you if you want to read it, its detailed Aikido history and dissemination but is basically about the Japanese mind set ... and that applies to the disemination of karate as well. The thing with the research, even the researchers freak out a bit ... especially the 'spirit' and 'Kami' stuff ... its a different mind set and confuses many westerners ... especially with Ueshiba, who was even back then and to his students, a 'relic' who also spoke an arcane form of Japanese.

I would enjoy to read it.

The concept of him battling Kami in his garden at night with his sword ( which turned out to be himself) seems a bit much for some ... some here on TTBs might not have a problem with that :D )

Yeah, this would be the right website for showing this kind of stuff.

Edited by Michael Sternbach

The first guy (Haga Junichi) is in his body about killing people. The second guy (Sato Yosoichi) is in his body about wielding a sword. To my eye Sato is a bit toothless. Precise, beautifully practised and meditative, but no 狠心 hěnxīn, no hardness of the heart that gets the job done no matter what. I am not saying Sato is not excellent, but Haga shows more of the liveliness that the chaos of battle requires for adaptability. So for me, I prefer Haga's Iaido over Sato's.

The armour grappling is Kumi-Uchi, an art now largely lost. It had many locks and throws designed specifically for the characteristics of Samurai armour.

You may be right, but the style of sword play I learned (Ki-Aikido, done with bokken) put great emphasis on precision. There was particular emphasis on how the blow ended; did the sword stop perfectly, without the slightest waiver at the end of the strike. According to that standard, Sato's control of the sword was better.

I also agree with the philosophy, the best move- blocks and strikes in the same fluid movement. That's something easier seen in sword and staff work. The block that strikes.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

Met Daniel a few times at push hands meet up. He uses tai chi chuan as martial art which isn't rare as an art but to be used so effectively as a martial art is rare. Yes he has studied other arts but in his martial play he limits himself to the principles of tai chi chuan.

http://www.daviskungfu.com/

A great guy too.

Sounds pretty much like your standard Shotokan training. Most of these moves (besides some exaggerated ones) do have their practical application. It's too bad that it is usually just not what the instructor thinks it is. :wacko: It's as if they got a bike and keep thinking that they would have to push off from the ground by their feet all the time.

Agreed, its not that the moves are useless, just some of the perceived applications.

I heard of an Okinawan Uechi ryu practitioner who punched a hole into a big steel milk can by his big toe.

Um, yes, I remember your moccasins. I would ask you to take them off if you were going to spar with me.

They were not mine :) they belonged to a visiting instructor (who had been a Shotokan instructor previously then worked through to be a MSSR instructor - IMO the combo worked great ... some of the others ( very Shotokan biased ... more than me ! :D ) poo pooed him .... but Mr Nishihira seemed to have liked him and what he was doing (evidenced by lack of injuries and bruising on him ) .

Ummmm .... those sort of things are not for 'sparing' (actually Mr N. said there was no sparring in the tradition. I guess it was to do with some of the 'Masters' around at the time (when Funakoshi was young) .... one who claimed defeat on another by the 'superior technique' of waiting to ambush him in a tree and then jumping on his neck as he passed underneath.

Here we have a totally different approach than that of Funakoshi ... cant imagine him doing that :blink:

I once asked my Aikido teacher in Japan about this, and he said, we practice with resistance from about 3rd dan on! I hope a real-life assailant attacking prematurely would kindly be mindful of this.

When once practising with a senior, I told him that I could hit him if he was doing a certain move the way he did. His answer was: "You're doing Aikido, so you don't want to hit me!" I informed him that I'm also doing Karate... Next I thought I should simply have demonstrated to him what I meant. :D

Oh dear ... he should have had a session with Dave Brown

(he is holding back a bit here - being nice to students ( OMG ! There is 'that .... training partner' I trained with 'that time' @ 1.50 :D :wub: .... )

Ahem ! ... getting focus back ! :)

Opening move @ .12

and @ 1.56 2.11 - obviously they are all through the movements ... somehow, some schools eliminated them and then insisted that the 'opponent' 'allow' the other to throw them (or some other convoluted reason that is liable to get one ostracised for poo - pooing it. )

Ueshiba actually once said that 90% or so of Aikido is striking. :o Btw, he was also active in that special units programme, prior to the JKA. But the people in charge thought Aikido was too time consuming to learn.

I think the people in charge were trying to tone things down so aikido would be allowed by their military victors ?

Sounds like the Taiji lotus kick. Needless to say, this kata move has a couple of applications. Blocking a kick to the genitals (as I have heard stated) is not one of them (you would actually help the assailant deliver the kick where you definitely don't want it to go. :blink:)

Well , all kata moves should have more than 1 application I reckon . Where you referring to the opening ( 3rd move, I think) Niharchin Nidan ? - The simultaneous block reversed fist strike ? I dont understand how the bukai applied properly directs the kick into the target :unsure: .... especially considering tai sebaki ?

Still haven't located my copy yet. Anyway, your mention of White Crane is interesting. It's a very influential "mother style" which has a lot of good stuff in it, including kyusho and tuite. I mostly got to know it by the books and videos of Jwing Ming Yang and George Alexander - the latter showing the Okinawan version, Matsumura seito shorin ryu, which Hohan Soken introduced and which you are referring to.\

Except that is the Fuse and Kuda descent from Hohan Soken, its not Seito ... that could only be passed on (as the head) to a family member. Mr. Nishihiri didnt have a martial heir... so Seito Matsamura Shorin Ryu ended with him. As I said elsewhere; Mr N never claimed to be the only head of Shorin ryu .... he steered away from the club concept, the dojo, the uniform, even belts ( he did allow it, he said if people wanted they could train in Gi and black belt ... he would say (in training) 'I am brown belt" and show the leather belt holding his trousers up. However he did wear it at times, for official reasons, photos, etc.

(Some of the others even turned it into a night club stage act - as one of them owned a nightclub ,,, and other things ... we better not go there .)

I would enjoy to read it.

Yeah, this would be the right website for showing this kind of stuff.

Okay ... I will go hunting

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

You may not be able to access this without signing up (but it would be worth it to read this alone)

Transmission, Inheritance, Emulation by Peter Goldsbury (long papers ) parts 1 - 25 .

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&f=75&page=1&pp=25&sort=dateline&order=asc&daysprune=-1&filter[1]=Peter%20Goldsbury

Edited by Nungali

Nungali,

I only have time for a short post right now.

This is one of the teachers I had in Japan: Kazuo Nomura. You surely didn't have to roll for him... it was in your own best interest!

I found my copy of "Shotokan's Secret" meanwhile (it is the expanded edition :) ) and started reading it thoroughly (only read it diagonally when I first got it). Interesting!

Comments to your post later (I need to do some searches myself).

Here is another one'

Sikaran karate.

When i joined up (after the Shotokan and before my intro to Aikido) it was after the stage of them seeking JKA membership (and what a funny story there ... they claim to have won the 1964 (was it?) JKA open ... couldnt find another reference to that anywhere ... except that the 1964 JKA tournament was cancelled due to the Olympics. <_< )

It was a totally different beastie before those JKA sparring rule restrictions ... I remember being completely flummoxed by their kicks ... I only found out their real history later. :o

Me (from the floor) "What the hell was that ? ! "

Him (standing over me) " Reverse crescent / axe kick combo ." :)

Me: :blink:

Brazilian Capoeira

This martial art is unique in its defiance of what most other martial arts take for granted (i.e., never stand on your hands while facing an opponent :D ). Not my first choice as far as realistic self-defence, but I think there is some useful stuff in there in this regard. Also, I think it's noteworthy that Capoeira kicks (literally done with the whole body) have been measured to outdo any others in a study that I watched.

Sign in to follow this