Flolfolil

Help us help Buddhist Discussion

To blame karma on one's problems is shirking self responsibility.

That what you said is karma too.

So it's OK to act like a jerk along the road to enlightenment then?

How does that work?

Old Atishoo sounds like a bit of a dick if s/he did say that.

No Atisha was not a dick. Why don't you look him up and read things he had to say?

e.g.

When only nasty words befall our ears,

This is the sharp weapon of negative karma circling back on us

From our misdeeds of speech, such as slander and the likes.

Now, let’s discredit all faults in our speech.

• Like 2

To blame karma on one's problems is shirking self responsibility.

That deserves a facepalm. LOL.

• Like 1

Our local Buddhists are really nice folks.

We have Western Pure Land ( Caroline Brazier's group) in the next village and New Kadampas with a cafe and recruiting place just behind the Cathedral in Leicester plus their retreat centre just up the road from us.

Two very different 'sorts' of Buddhism but very similar - jolly nice- people.

One could not imagine any of them banging on so very fractiously like some of our ' Buddhist' chums on here do.

Anybody who had never met a Buddhist on meeting someone like one of our Buddha Bum chums and listening to them would be as likely to think...

" Well if that's Buddhism you can stick it where the sun shineth not."...

as ever they would think....

" Ah a petty minded, squabbly religion out to score points and stifle polite debate. That's just what I'm looking for."

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Shirking self-responsibility could be one's karma this time around.

Groan. For a start karma means action. So actually the idea that your actions are a cause with an effect ... i.e. it matters what you do, what choices you make, whether to be kind and generous or to be nasty and greedy ... exactly these things do matter ... this is part of a path of self cultivation where you build positive qualities for the benefit of self and others ... so how can this be about shirking responsibility?

• Like 1

Because shirking responsibility can be a conscious act.

Actions make great tutors.

Hence the Summerland despatcher says to the about to be reincarnated person...

" OK you really need to investigate the consequences of shirked responsibility in this next lifetime that we've found you. Now off you go and we'll expect a full report when you get back."

The defence rests Mi' Lud.

( It's bed time).

Edited by GrandmasterP

Because shirking responsibility can be a conscious act.

Actions make great tutors.

Hence the Summerland despatcher says to the about to be reincarnated person...

" OK you really need to investigate the consequences of shirked responsibility in this next lifetime that we've found you. Now off you go and we'll expect a full report when you get back."

The defence rests Mi' Lud.

( It's bed time).

When this thread started I had some hope but now I am in despair.

• Like 2

Groan. For a start karma means action. So actually the idea that your actions are a cause with an effect ... i.e. it matters what you do, what choices you make, whether to be kind and generous or to be nasty and greedy ... exactly these things do matter ... this is part of a path of self cultivation where you build positive qualities for the benefit of self and others ... so how can this be about shirking responsibility?

Why are you being condescending to me by starting off with a negative comment i.e, groan? As if I am ignorant? This kind of attitude has no value in these discussions. Since the early 80's, I have found that Buddhists in general, posture themselves to a higher cause and devalue/degrade others.

Edited by ralis

Why are you being condescending to me by starting off with a negative comment i.e, groan? As if I am ignorant. This kind of attitude has no value in these discussions. Since the early 80's, I have found that Buddhists posture themselves to a higher cause and devalue/degrade others.

Because what you were saying is not Buddhist teaching it is a misunderstanding of it. You repeat this kind of statement endlessly and it makes me groan. This thread is about improving the Buddhist section.

I once heard the phrase "If you don't have anything nice to say then keep your mouth shut." I don't always practice it but it does work when I do practice it.

• Like 1

Because what you were saying is not Buddhist teaching it is a misunderstanding of it. You repeat this kind of statement endlessly and it makes me groan. This thread is about improving the Buddhist section.

Are you lecturing me again? I perfectly well understand Buddhist teachings and making excuses from some higher cause is no excuse. There is much in the literature in regards to karma. In general, there are myriad interpretations. I don't repeat endlessly.

Which statement is a misunderstanding?

Edited by ralis

Why are you being condescending to me by starting off with a negative comment i.e, groan? As if I am ignorant? This kind of attitude has no value in these discussions. Since the early 80's, I have found that Buddhists in general, posture themselves to a higher cause and devalue/degrade others.

In person ones too? I find in person Buddhists to be completely different than many online ones for some reason (no idea why).

• Like 2

Our local Buddhists are really nice folks.

We have Western Pure Land ( Caroline Brazier's group) in the next village and New Kadampas with a cafe and recruiting place just behind the Cathedral in Leicester plus their retreat centre just up the road from us.

Two very different 'sorts' of Buddhism but very similar - jolly nice- people.

One could not imagine any of them banging on so very fractiously like some of our ' Buddhist' chums on here do.

Anybody who had never met a Buddhist on meeting someone like one of our Buddha Bum chums and listening to them would be as likely to think...

" Well if that's Buddhism you can stick it where the sun shineth not."...

as ever they would think....

" Ah a petty minded, squabbly religion out to score points and stifle polite debate. That's just what I'm looking for."

:)

How come that is? In person being different than on the forums?

The way I see it, the practice is the real meat and what we all do, TTBs is most of the time what we do for comrade and instead of watching TV ;). OK maybe that is just me. Though I do also come to learn, ask questions and answer questions. Sometime a learn a lot, other times I learn that I just wasted 4 hours... ROFL.

• Like 2

Are you lecturing me again? I perfectly well understand Buddhist teachings and making excuses from some higher cause is no excuse. There is much in the literature in regards to karma. In general, there are myriad interpretations. I don't repeat endlessly.

Which statement is a misunderstanding?

Actually the 'groan' was at something GrmP said not you.

• Like 1

Im thinking that the message being sent is that they feel they are doing just fine , they like it the way it is, they see nothing contrary to their beliefs in their behavior, and in response to their own sentiments and motivations they have no intent , no guilty imperative, to adjust their ways in regards to their conduct in the section. They feel everyone else is wrong to have negativity about the conduct of the thread. They want everyone who disagrees to butt out ouf their business, they feel no imperative to cooperate with the larger community in this regard.

So

The only thing to do is leave Sean to deal or not deal with it as he sees fit.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2

Im thinking that the message being sent is that they feel they are doing just fine , they like it the way it is, they see nothing contrary to their beliefs in their behavior, and in response to their own sentiments and motivations they have no intent , no guilty imperative, to adjust their ways in regards to their conduct in the section. They feel everyone else is wrong to have negativity about the conduct of the thread. They want everyone who disagrees to butt out ouf their business, they feel no imperative to cooperate with the larger community in this regard.

So

Who is 'they'?

Who is 'they'?

The folks that I dont have to name because their own posts decare their opinions...

Like Ralis and Ct and Simple Jack , the posts repeat the same refrain.

' Leave us alone this is just fine'.

Simple Jack presents a clear example so Ill elaborate,

when he was called out for his verbal behavior,

he posted an offensive picture,

when his two days were up

he read something else which he reacted to

by directing to the same exact insulting picture.

Clearly he feels justified in his actions, he sees the suspension as misplaced,

and in a very obvious way he showed that his own views were unchanged ,

and he still wasnt going to accept the correction.

As I see it , the pleas or arguments have been made and rebuffed.

Theres no reason to keep harping on the guys for that,

nor is there reason to expect any changes from that quarter

if they are left to continue the degree of self moderation which theyve enjoyed.

They arent 'on board' for changing anything, PERIOD.

If there are Taobums members which dont feel that way ,

and do want a less argumentative more courteous buddist section ,

well then they need to

post something.

So I suppose it leaves the issue on Seans desk,

but since he didnt change the issue before,

Im guessing he isnt going to do anything about it now either ,

despite the verbalizations of complaint being made.

I dont have to prove 'rightness' of the sentiments that the larger Taobums community may be voicing.

They are voicing their sentiments , which means they have them ,

that some others may not care that the sentiments are HAD ,

and are looking only to find out if they can be proven "wrong or right",

well then obviously they dont consider the sentiments of the other Taobums important.

(Which is ironically why you end up with the never ending arguments of PROVE IT .)

• Like 2

Not much help yet, Hey?

Well, I just read a post that had sound reasoning for re-enabling the "Don't Like" button. That might help.

• Like 2

Stosh sir,

Actually what i said was a little bit tongue in cheek too. Sometimes its good to see a little deeper (advice to self).

So

Actually the current staff has to deal with it. That's why we started the thread.

There will be changes as any forum / sub-forum is not an exclusive club of selective posters who determine how that area should be run, and how they run out others.

----

For all:

1. Any forum area should appear to welcome posters and not be the exclusive posting area of a few. There may well be only a few posting in certain sub-forums but it should be because they are interested to post, not because everyone else is run-off, put-off, and generally feeling ill by coming to it.

2. There will probably be some utilization of admin "broad discretion to protect the civility and resources of any aspect within TTBs e-community."

See: TheTaoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

An example might be used when a tone and style of posting is too restrictive of allowing others their opinion and is diminishing the free flow of dialog on the board, and/or contributing to a hostage or hostile environment.

3. Based on CT's thread Feedback please! Intention to initiate a group study on Buddhist Ethics. , I would like to create a sub-forum under Buddhist Discussion called "Buddhist Textual Studies", which is parallel to the "Taoist Textual Studies".

• Like 5

Stosh sir,

Actually what i said was a little bit tongue in cheek too. Sometimes its good to see a little deeper (advice to self).

Well Im sorry if I mischaracterized your stand , Ive seen your comments elsewhere being rather preferential to leaving the Buddhist section as it stands , So I just do not know how much is supposed to be taken at face value or ' tongue in cheek'.

Your personal posts have always seemed to me to be well measured , respectful, and self controlled. I do still still, however think you wish to protect the Buddhist section , from 'excessive interference' figure you feel it has merit even as it is , and that its not much different from other sites on the subject. I disagree as mentioned. I didnt want to hang this hat on your hook but to the direct question by Apech I felt I needed to answer bluntly.

If you really would prefer an upgrade in conduct in that section , Im thinking it would be in your own interest to say so outright.

If not, then Im at least not coming to an understanding way off the mark.

Actually the current staff has to deal with it. That's why we started the thread.

There will be changes as any forum / sub-forum is not an exclusive club of selective posters who determine how that area should be run, and how they run out others.

----

For all:

1. Any forum area should appear to welcome posters and not be the exclusive posting area of a few. There may well be only a few posting in certain sub-forums but it should be because they are interested to post, not because everyone else is run-off, put-off, and generally feeling ill by coming to it.

2. There will probably be some utilization of admin "broad discretion to protect the civility and resources of any aspect within TTBs e-community."

See: TheTaoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

An example might be used when a tone and style of posting is too restrictive of allowing others their opinion and is diminishing the free flow of dialog on the board, and/or contributing to a hostage or hostile environment.

3. Based on CT's thread Feedback please! Intention to initiate a group study on Buddhist Ethics. , I would like to create a sub-forum under Buddhist Discussion called "Buddhist Textual Studies", which is parallel to the "Taoist Textual Studies".

Ok , its delegated.

But in defense of my point Id like to explain that the only one ultimately ( so I think) that really can say what the larger goals of the forum are would be him. I couldnt determine that this was a site for primarily Taoists , or equally for Buddhists , or anything like that. I didnt create and define it.

• Like 1