TaoMaster

How do we know what's yin and what's yang . Really.

i choose to remove the circles . They relate to the negative side of imperfection and only use the yang yin in its perfect state.

This makes sense if you don't like imperfection. Because I believe ambiguity is essential to freedom and cognition, and because some amount of ambiguity is ineliminable, I am on the side of imperfection and chaos.

• Like 1

The black dot within the white yang, represents the balancing principle to me.

As a wave crests higher and higher, its perceived yang state eventually cannot maintain its inertia and it settles into balance by the influence of what we perceive as yin. The action of Tao is like a drawn bow, settles in balance.

Go far enough into one extreme and you will encounter the opposite extreme.

Sometimes we know what we are more effectively through being aware of what we are not...

• Like 2

i do ask allot for a very specific purpose. :) Ive gotten correct and incorrect answers from both self and others . But I know what you mean :)

That is a paradox. Who is judging correct and incorrect?

• Like 1

That is a paradox. Who is judging correct and incorrect?

yang is correct and yin incorrect or is it the other way around?

• Like 1

just found this on the internet . Looks like im not the only one who says yang comes first .

Not saying I agree with this text but it does have some things I do .

What is Yin and Yang?

Creation can be considered as an organization of the primal energy. This organization is a polarization of the primal energy of creation into two distinct states of being. The aggressive aspect of creation (yang) appears to occur first, the polarization implies the presence of its complement. Its complement can be view as the receptive aspect of creation (yin). Therefore, consider the act of creation as an outward expansion of the primal energy from a center such as the black hole. However, there has to be a counterbalancing and contractive force in order for organization to occur.

The aggressive action of yang is like that of centrifugal force. Centrifugal force tends to pull outward from a rotating center. The action of yin is like that of centripetal force. Centripetal force tends to pull inward or toward the center of a rotating center. This implies that these forces must be equally in balance in order for creation to exist. Otherwise, energy would either disperse itself into nothingness or disappear into the center.

Once again we can perceive the interconnectedness of all creation, because the balance of these two forces is illustrated by the model of the atom. The electrons that rotate around the nucleus of the atom at the speed of light would tend to propel themselves out of their orbit if they were not counterbalanced by the force of the protons which attract the electrons to the center. If the electrons were to leave their orbit, the atom woulddisintegrate. Therefore, in keeping with the metaphysical view of interconnectedness of creation, on a larger scale, this principle functions to hold together the solar system, the galaxies of the universe and all the Universal Laws.

It is said that the nature of yin and yang was first recognized by Fu Shi between six to eight thousand years ago. He formulated twelve principles of yin/yang which provide an explanation of the laws of nature which govern the universe and all of its laws. These principles are given below. That which produces and composes the universe is Tao, the undivided oneness or ultimate nothingness. Tao polarizes itself: yang becomes the active pole of the cosmos, yin becomes the solidified pole. Yang and yin are opposites, and each accomplishes the other.

All beings and things in the universe are complex aggregates of universal energy composed of infinitely varying proportions of yin and yang. All beings and things are in a dynamic state of change and transformation; nothing in the universe is absolutely static or completed; all is in unceasing motion because polarization, the source of being, is without beginning and without end. Yin and yang attract one another.

Nothing is entirely yin or entirely yang; all phenomena are composed of both yin and yang. Nothing is neutral. All phenomena are composed of unequal proportions of yin and yang. The force of attraction between yin and yang is greater when the difference between them is greater, and smaller when it is smaller. Like activities repel one another. The closer the similarity between two entities of the same polarity, the greater the repulsion. At the extremes of development, yin produces yang and yang produces yin. All beings are yang in the center and yin on the surface. Yang means the active spirit, yin means the physical body. On other occasions, yang means apparent and yin means hidden.

According to the principles, the actions of yin and yang apply to every facet of life. The polar aspects of the yin and yang are expressions of everything that exists in our universe. Hence, the yin and yang can be seen as the essence of all Universal Laws, which of course includes the Law of Attraction.

go it thx , :)

if all things are made of both yang and yin ( which they are ) then how can one be yin and the other yang and then be both yang and yin too ?

they can not .

or can they :)

does the positive side terminal of a car battery have its negative side in equal amounts with its positive ?

no.

if it did , sparks would be instantaneous like when the + side gets close to the - side.

which is positive the lead or the acid ?

does the negative side? no

THATS what a battery does. They are together and separate at the same time.

does a magnet have a positive and negative pole at each end ? not really but they do have poles in common when two are more batteries are present . These common poles can be labeled as positive and negative .

the positive repels the negative and the negative the positive .

things that move forward can be labeled positive and things that go backwards neg . This does not mean that some thigns can only go in one direction or that the pos can be relabeled when its direction changes.

You can call north south or south north too .

a lie is stating that something is or is not when it is not or is .

its just flipping poles.

the truth is stating something is when it is and is not when it is not .

this is attraction while the lie is pushing away. just like the magnet :)

agreement is like two common poles of a magnet and opposition is like the two repelling poles of a magnet

the common side can definitively be labeled as positive and its negative , negative every time in every case and perspective nor context :) has no say in the matter . This is non exceptional

if this is not the way of the tao then im not taomaster :)

yes. I understand you can label a pole as positive and label the other as negative and then switch the labels around. Or remove them all together. a single Magnet does not have a positive or negative .

when you have two magnets you still only have two poles. 100 magnets , still two poles.

you can break the magnet in half and still have the same two poles.

Positive pole attracts pos and repels neg . Same for the neg . It attracts likeness and repels opposites.

there is no way to break it in half and just have a positive magnet or just a negative.

so is the yang and yin avatar i use . The black never touches the white and yet it is still a single circle. if you break it in half its still black and white. The white side is positive and the black side negative Yang and yin .

this rule applies to all things in the universe. from the smallest particle to the largest Galaxy.

ViscountValmont,

how can you label the Yang as fullness, masculinity, light, hardness ? :)

why is fullness not a yin attribute or light and hardness ( which is actually a yin attribute )

what other things in the world are yin or yang and how do you determine this ?

did you read about it in a book ?

this is what im after :)

if we label yang as yes and yin as no with yes being positive and no being negative does this not exist ?

is this non existence the way of the tao ?

If it doesn't exist then how can i perceive it every day in my life. If any thing can be perceived , then it exists. Even if its a whisper of a thought, or a wisp of a breeze, its a thing.

when i tell my dog to go and she just sits there, I see that as a big no and when she goes, I see that as a big yes.

when i play ping pong we hit the ball over the net back and forth but one of us had to serve it first . The server is yang then yin then yang then yin until one of the two fail .

Yang and yin is a way to organize what the heck is going on in the world , whats right and whats wrong. Context plays a role when determining which is which and so does sequence. :)

its when we don't assign positive or negative we have disorder, a yin attribute.

a magnet like our universe has 6 sides.

top bottom, left right and front back

its a box that so many refer to when they say "think outside the box" .

the circle is its opposite to the square and yet the circle also has 6 sides just like the box.

what makes them opposite is that one is curved and the other is straight .

which came first ?

the circle :)

ill let you determine how i came to this conclusion :)

heres a hint . do you see any box shaped planets suns or stars ?

if a lie is stating the truth is not true, how can the lie exist is there is no truth to lie about ?

can there be a lie- without the truth+ first+ ? no -

can there be truth+ without a lie- after- ? yes +

i see a yang and a yin right there and its as definite as the sun is bright :)

there's only one " up " even if you are upside down , up is still up. its just that up is down until you are not upside down.

a thing is what it is when its first created . if you change that it no longer exists as that first thing and now a new thing is created but it too has a first and when its destroyed it has a last .

every thing has a first and last . if you assign the first as pos and its last as neg, then all things in the universe can and do have a definite yang and definite yin , no exceptions .

which is which and how is it determined in a definite way ? :)

if we can determine this for one thing, then all things can be determined this way . the true law of duality is not a selective law based on perspective :)

I label it thusly because it was originally explained to me thusly. However, the deeper understanding allows these terms to be discarded, and replaced with whatever we deem appropriate. Because it is ONLY the defining factors of positive and negative that count. And those are relative, which can be their opposite and contain their opposite at any given moment based on dynamic parameters.

All I know is that the ancients grouped masculinity in with light and hardness and called it Yang, and their opposites so on and so forth. It's like asking about astrology. It comes down to, for some reason, universal archetypes. And I do mean universal. Certain types of trait groupings seem to "clump." I also think that this is explainable by math and physics as well, as we have seen the deeper effects of fractal mathematics and even new insights into "chaos" using standard Newtonian Physics and a Double Pendulum... and how unexpected the connections are and how obscure they can be. Or how simplistically a complex mechanism can be expressed in the most seemingly unlikely or counter-intuitive places. Therefore I am sure that there is a larger, over-arching mathematical connection between the traits we view as Yin and Yang, especially because of the apparent ease with which nature seems to accept these archetypes.

This makes sense if you don't like imperfection. Because I believe ambiguity is essential to freedom and cognition, and because some amount of ambiguity is ineliminable, I am on the side of imperfection and chaos.

example ? :) from your own experiences in life ?

yes... in submission is yin - no! with force is yang

I like everything but i tend to embrace yang . it feels good :) and yang brings about more yang . Karma

example of this ? from your own experience in life

The differences are in one's mind. Discard the mind and there are no differences.

ok i see , lets hope you are getting correct information . From me included. Its better to learn how to, and play the panio rather than some one telling you how its played. You can play the yang yin type piano very easy and get very good at it . The more you practice the better you get .

you can understand it by using the meditation exercises in my earlier posts and threads . Its all there . Ill start a new theard soon and then refer others with a link to it .

"ancients grouped masculinity in with light and hardness and called it Yang"?

solidity and hardness is actually yin , masculinity and light is yang . . I dont read others text for knowledge , I read it to compare what i know to be true to what I read . I read to confirm or deny , not learn . Learning is yin . Yin brings about more yin .

Its better to just know things that are true from your own experience in life rather than to read about it or have others like me tell you about it . :)

just because a spiritual leader an ancient guy or anyone else says this or that about this or that does not make it true or false. Only you can do that .

I label it thusly because it was originally explained to me thusly. However, the deeper understanding allows these terms to be discarded, and replaced with whatever we deem appropriate. Because it is ONLY the defining factors of positive and negative that count. And those are relative, which can be their opposite and contain their opposite at any given moment based on dynamic parameters.

All I know is that the ancients grouped masculinity in with light and hardness and called it Yang, and their opposites so on and so forth. It's like asking about astrology. It comes down to, for some reason, universal archetypes. And I do mean universal. Certain types of trait groupings seem to "clump." I also think that this is explainable by math and physics as well, as we have seen the deeper effects of fractal mathematics and even new insights into "chaos" using standard Newtonian Physics and a Double Pendulum... and how unexpected the connections are and how obscure they can be. Or how simplistically a complex mechanism can be expressed in the most seemingly unlikely or counter-intuitive places. Therefore I am sure that there is a larger, over-arching mathematical connection between the traits we view as Yin and Yang, especially because of the apparent ease with which nature seems to accept these archetypes.

ok i see , lets hope you are getting correct information . From me included. Its better to learn how to, and play the panio rather than some one telling you how its played. You can play the yang yin type piano very easy and get very good at it . The more you practice the better you get .

I will just listen to others play the piano. Less effort required.

yes... in submission is yin - no! with force is yang

yes is yang and submission is yin

no is yin and force is yang :)

I will just listen to others play the piano. Less effort required.

it sounds much better when you know how to play while listening to it being played. :)

yes is yang and submission is yin

no is yin and force is yang :)

You have shown how there is no yin without yang

and no yang without yin.

• Like 1

I believe you.

it sounds better when you see it being played too . Does for me anyway . :)

what kind of blows me away is that i was never told what is yang or yin . I didnt read about it either . There is no list that i know of other than maybe 10 or 15 that ive ever read about . Its strictly YOUR oppinion that used. Your intuition that defines what is yang or yin and thoses may change and will change as you add more words to the list . You will corect yourself as to whats yang or yin .

this is when the universe as a whole and life the creator of the universe all begins to make perfect sence . This is when you vanish lies youve made to yourself and the illusions you didnt know where illusions begin to vanish . By simple determining YOU determining whats yang and whats yin .

this is when you see how context plays a limited role as well as the definition of the pos and neg words you use to make your determinations.

using the same words in multipul contexts blur the words meaning . Perspective can too but you can get past this , past the illusions and actually see yang and see yin . then life will make more and more sence and the " why" will be less and less.

Why is yin , it means not know . You will move to the other side from yin not know to yang which is know.

Life will become so logical youll be amazed at how illogical others are and you once were.

Logic is the only basis for sanity so by the LOD , illogic must be the basis for insanity .

the more locigcal the more sane . Its just the way the merry goes round. :)

yang brings about more yang and yin yin . karma baby ;)

youll be sooooo sane and have more ability to spot insanity and avoid it as well as help the ones you love avoid it too . Even the ones you hate . You wont hate them as much and soon not at all . Youll love evrything and every one. Even the bad guys.

you wont agree with what the bad guys are up to but you wont hate them .

You have shown how there is no yin without yang

and no yang without yin.

actually ive showed you , you have combined yangs and yins in the same sentence and then labled it as one of the two .

no is yin

yes is yang

submit is yin

force is yang

You put both yang and yin in a sentence and then called it yang

then you did it again and called it yin .

this isnt how it works :)

if this doesnt make sence , let me know what part of it doesnt and ill explain again with other terms.

actually ive showed you , you have combined yangs and yins in the same sentence and then labled it as one of the two .

no is yin

yes is yang

submit is yin

force is yang

You put both yang and yin in a sentence and then called it yang

then you did it again and called it yin .

this isnt how it works :)

if this doesnt make sence , let me know what part of it doesnt and ill explain again with other terms.

nothing is black or white - life is shades of gray

• Like 1

nothing is black or white - life is shades of gray

there is both black and white , color, and shades of gray , my avatar is black and white and its a thing. Its thee most bueatiful of all in that its symbolic for perfection and at the top of all things just below life , its creator . No thing tops life . Life is at the top of all things.

there is both black and white , color, and shades of gray , my avatar is black and white and its a thing. Its thee most bueatiful of all in that its symbolic for perfection and at the top of all things just below life , its creator . No thing tops life . Life is at the top of all things.

How is life , at the "top of all things" define top, and relate that to the taijitu ( which is a circle which presumably in flux philosophically.)

I'd like to see how your ' law of duality' explains things

... because googling law of duality I first came on this quote.

http://beverlyblanchard.blogspot.com/2013/04/the-law-of-duality.html

"What becomes problematic with the Law of Duality is when we start thinking that one aspect of the spectrum is better than the other aspect of spectrum."

and you said you welcome any and all such discussion.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

How is life , at the "top of all things" define top, and relate that to the taijitu ( which is a circle.)

I'd like to see how your ' law of duality' explains things.

its amazing . you can see every thing . The top of the physical universe is the basic law of duality , and from there all laws are derived . It forms an egyptian style paramid.

the pyramid has 6 sides

http://www.korthalsaltes.com/photo/Cheops_pyramid_model.jpg

so does the circle and so does a square and so does a coin and a dollar bill and dang , homedog so do I , my body that is , not me spiritually , im outside of all things physical . all things ARE physical, even thoughts, so ya . :)

1 at he top and 1 at the bottom , 1 on the left and 1 on the right , 1 at the front and 1 at the back

every thing is a law in a way . if you can touch it or see it or perceive it in other words its a law.

if its hot and you touch it with your hand , " its laws" says it will hurt you , depending on the temperature of course but its a law no matter . Each degree of temperature is a law in its own right.

Law forms solidity , law is YIN . Freedom is yang it came first , then the laws.

if its in front of you and you can not see around it , its, its law. If its transparent and you can see throught it , thats a different law. If you can see some of it but not all , thats a different set of laws.

every thing from a dot , speck of dust to a galaxcy has its own law unique to all other laws thats are different .

no two laws are the same and all are derived from a single basic law . the LOD

traffic laws are derived from the basic as well but ultimatly its life the creator of all things who makes every single law. Its also life who vanishes laws.

a circle has its laws too and every partical that forms the circle

if you define " the taijitu" for me i can add more details but this word has no definition for me to use. :)

what is the taijitu?

Edited by TaoMaster