Wells

Why do only very few Dzogchen practitioners attain rainbow body?

$350!!!!

I thought we were talking about free (or low cost resources) darn!

Edit: found it for a bit less than that somewhere :D Will give my review in a few weeks ;).

What are you referring to?

The Dream Yoga workshop?

You are definitely on to something there.

And it's not just that a lot is given but what is given is of immense value, and often underestimated by the student because it's not sexy enough...

All my years of practice have helped me to realize this lol.

Just keep walking that circle - if you master the circle, not much else is necessary.

If you don't master the circle, not much else can help!

:D

Master the circle... fortunately, I don't think that is possible! :) (hence why I love Bagua)

What are you referring to?

The Dream Yoga workshop?

Yep, $350 for the online workshop.

Fortunately I live in a place with many in person teachings, so I might just look it up.

Also I'm borrowing an... er preview copy... of that dream yoga workshop to see what I think :D.

Yep, $350 for the online workshop.

Fortunately I live in a place with many in person teachings, so I might just look it up.

Also I'm borrowing an... er preview copy... of that dream yoga workshop to see what I think :D.

Yes, the workshops cost real money - this one is, I think, 4 weeks with multiple video teachings, online forums where Rinpoche participates and answers questions, etc... It's not cheap but you get a lot for your money.

The alternative is to simply work from the book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tibetan-Yogas-Dream-Sleep/dp/1559391014

That's what I've done for the past 6 months.

You get more from the online workshop but the book is enough for the right student (dovetails into our concurrent discussion, no?). If you decide to work with it and have questions or want to share notes, contact me.

PS - I think that he will be teaching a 2 week workshop on dream yoga next summer in Virginia.

• Like 2

Yes, the workshops cost real money - this one is, I think, 4 weeks with multiple video teachings, online forums where Rinpoche participates and answers questions, etc... It's not cheap but you get a lot for your money.

The alternative is to simply work from the book: http://www.amazon.com/The-Tibetan-Yogas-Dream-Sleep/dp/1559391014

That's what I've done for the past 6 months.

You get more from the online workshop but the book is enough for the right student (dovetails into our concurrent discussion, no?). If you decide to work with it and have questions or want to share notes, contact me.

PS - I think that he will be teaching a 2 week workshop on dream yoga next summer in Virginia.

Thank you :).

I will see what I think of the "preview" vids and go from there. Things either tend to really resonate strongly with me, or not at all... I sometimes luck out and fine some teachings/teachers which do.

Neat about the workshop in person. I have always preferred in person teachings.

Nothing wrong with $350 for that much teaching, it is just that it would be a side interest instead of my main practice, so not really a budget for that (well and jewelry making supplies and courses are taking every last cent I make lol)

Then we don't need to discuss any further and I see me assumptions confirmed.

It feels good to confirm one's assumptions.

• Like 1

Thank you :).

I will see what I think of the "preview" vids and go from there. Things either tend to really resonate strongly with me, or not at all... I sometimes luck out and fine some teachings/teachers which do.

Neat about the workshop in person. I have always preferred in person teachings.

Nothing wrong with $350 for that much teaching, it is just that it would be a side interest instead of my main practice, so not really a budget for that (well and jewelry making supplies and courses are taking every last cent I make lol)

Dream yoga requires a fairly serious commitment, day and night.

It's fairly easy to integrate into one's life, however.

• Like 1

Dream yoga requires a fairly serious commitment, day and night.

It's fairly easy to integrate into one's life, however.

Is it similar to the Western magic version of such things? (which can be summed up as write down your dreams, tell yourself when drifting off to sleep you will become lucid, practice during waking hours with trance states, try to "wake up" or look at your hands during all dreams.... all to help have lucid dreams way more often, or every night...... then get to the point where you start to do your practice consciously during the dream (instead of just the fun ones where it happens as a surprise without you trying)? I'm figuring it likely comes from a different angle and has some other neat aspects :). Hmmm there's a book on it too, hmm.

Is it similar to the Western magic version of such things? (which can be summed up as write down your dreams, tell yourself when drifting off to sleep you will become lucid, practice during waking hours with trance states, try to "wake up" or look at your hands during all dreams.... all to help have lucid dreams way more often, or every night...... then get to the point where you start to do your practice consciously during the dream (instead of just the fun ones where it happens as a surprise without you trying)? I'm figuring it likely comes from a different angle and has some other neat aspects :). Hmmm there's a book on it too, hmm.

I have no experience with the Western magic version.

There are daytime practices but not so much trance related, there are practices related to intention, visualizations, specific sleeping postures. Not so much trying to look at the hands sort of thing or trying to wake up - it either happens or it doesn't I think. Once you do wake up you work to get some control of that and use it to help support your cultivation and growth. One goal is to help us loosen our feeling of our daytime existence being "solid" and "real." This helps with developing the view of impermanence and emptiness. It's also very helpful with making fundamental changes in our lives and helps prepare us for the Bardo (if you're into that sort of thing)...

It's a very good book, BTW/IMO.

Lot's of other dream practices out there and from what I've heard some are simpler and easier.

I like this because it fits well with my other practices.

Anyways, I talked yesterday to the guy of our local buddhist meditation center & book store.

He goes to speeches & retreats of Dzogchen & Tantra teachers anywhere in Europe since 30 years,

even lived for a 3/4 year with a famous teacher as a student.

All he got were preliminary exercises and theoretical information.

He got no practical training info on Trekchö or Thögal at all!

These were his exact words!

Go figure...

All he got is ngöndro? How long did he practice that? Trul khor, tsa lung or zhine?

I don't think so.

I used it as an example to express my point.

Well I stand by my statement, and you're welcome to your opinion. What that opinion is founded upon I have no idea, but there is clearly no point in attempting to dissuade you from your fabrications and fantasies.

Once I witnessed Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche give the pointing out instruction to a gathering of more than one thousand people in Taiwan. He still gave the real thing nakedly and directly, leaving nothing out. This must exemplify what they call the "expression of compassionate capacity," for he rose to the occasion out of the power of his realization. He said, "The oral instruction is like a candle: you can see while you hold it, and when you give it away you have no more light. But since all of you have taken the trouble to come here, expecting to hear me speak, I feel that I cannot refuse giving you the pointing-out instruction." Then he gave the instruction in coming face to face with your own nature. Even if the great Khyentse, Kongtrul or Longchenpa were doing so, it wouldn't surpass his instruction. Yet I later met only a few there who truly recognized their own nature

Even among Rinpoche's Western students there were some very close disciples who definitely should have recognized their buddha nature. They probably had some vague glimpse of recognition; yet they use empty word, and ignore the consequences of their actions. I have yet to meet one who has fully realized his teachings.

http://www.rangjung.com/authors/tribute_from_Orgyen_Tobgyal_Rinpoche.htm

Isn't Trekcho just becoming stable in nature of mind? Whats the big secret?

Edited by Ish

Well, you tried steve. As they say; you can lead a horse to water but you can't force it to drink.

Thanks for the acknowledgement.

It's always worth the effort to try and help.

Different folks need different things at different times in their life.

It's a blessing when we find something that works for us.

It's not everyone's karma to do that.

Isn't Trekcho just becoming stable in nature of mind? Whats the big secret?

Pretty much - it's hiding in plain sight

There are many misconceptions in regards to Tibetan Buddhism. It is important to remember that Tibet was a theocratic feudalistic culture. The teachings are still based on that authoritarian view. Most of the teachers with few exceptions sit on a throne with everyone below. That in itself should be a reminder of how things really are.

Most of the Lama's that are teaching in the West do it for money which supports their monasteries.

Donald Lopez clears up many mistaken ideas about Tibet. http://www.amazon.com/Prisoners-Shangri--Tibetan-Buddhism-West/dp/0226493113/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1405878413&sr=1-5&keywords=donald+lopez

In a book an accomplished yogi describes the "great Lamas" with all their disciples crowded around as flies clinging to dung.

I think this is a great comparison, in some cases

Edited by MooNiNite

In a book an accomplished yogi describes the "great Lamas" with all their disciples crowded around as flies clinging to dung.

I think this is a great comparison, in some cases

Which book?

Like a fly to dung, ralis cannot resist this book which uses the same metaphor.

Stop the harassment!

• Like 1