This is just a friendly reminder:
Please don't call anything Chi Kung without the essential ingredient which is the UMB.

Please don't call anything Chi Kung without the essential ingredient which is the UMB.

What's UMB?

B=Breath.. ?

U = Unsullied

M = R Martin

empty-cup.jpg

EDIT: Sorry! That was supposed to be in the tea cup thread.

Edited by Brian

Basics of Drayer's Chi Running andWalking program I have seen before on internet. It sounds like a pretty good idea, but people who have taken seminar seem exaggeratedly weird and prancey. I am curious if "walking Chi Kong" is similar or something different?

The Ultimate Method of Breathing.

Thank you.

I always wondered what the acronym UMB meant.

Now, and forever.

I know.

Go on, ask me.

Jus' ask me.

;)

ps No one can be omniscient all the time.

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

Stroking the beard,walking brush knee, repulse the monkey with correct body posture, breathing and calm mind. Rooting in transition, heel first forward, toe first backwards, touching ground and only then weight transfer. Proper turning the waist, arm position being connected as one whole unit. Breathing coordinated with movement.

During waking brush knee low stance training with arm movements a butterfly landed on my shoulder and stayed for the ride up and down the court yard, leg conditioning to the max, whole body benefits, body becomes oxygenated with proper lower abdominal breathing benefiting the internal organs as well via massage from Taoist breathing. Release of toxins generated by shallow breathing and eliminating the conversion of sugars for energy, lack of breath creates the toxins in the first place. Just some thought of walking chi gung. Did I mention Breathing with the Taoist method? That is important

• Like 4

Another friendly reminder. It helps to actually study qigong and find out that Qi DOES NOT equal breath - breathing is a tool, a very good tool, and although air contains Qi, air is not the Qi itself.

The spectrum of Qi goes far beyond air itself. Breathing does not equal qigong.

With Qigong Walking, the goal is to get more ENERGY instead of less. Regular walking is great exercise, but it expends energy. Qigong Walking gathers energy instead of expending energy.

There are many forms of qigong walking, and some of them do utilize breath control while some of them do not. Some of them go DIRECT to the energy; this is the form of Qigong Walking we do. It is not dependent on breath - at all - except to the extent that we all have to breath.

Usually qigong walking is a subsystem of any particular system and the methods depend on learning the system, which is why you won't see many posting methods; one has to study the qigong system first. I am sure someone can post a method - but basic understanding instead of chasing methods goes a long way. I encourage everyone to learn qigong walking that is within the system their teacher teaches.

• Like 3

The ability to issue or swallow force at any given moment in motion, being rooted. The ability of any part of the body to become empty or full.

Energetically many advocate bare foot in the grass we all do it as kids or if we are still energetically connected with the earth,

Post birth Chi comes from breathing, 90% of our energy comes from breathing the other 10% food and water if this was not true this planet would have run out of food and water thousands of years ago. Some like to pretend the planet can not support its own creation out of fear today.

Pre birth chi we are born with, we can add or subtract this. Both pre and post birth Chi depend on each other and maybe why Chi can be translated as breath or the energy that animates the body. More random thoughts

• Like 4

For the masses - qigong walking is a qigong form, or, as usual, an umbrella term for many qigong forms. It look crazy at times, lol. But it's powerful healing medicine. The major area of application is in reversing cancer.

I am very interested in any particulars you can state here or send me regarding "The major area of application is in reversing cancer".

I have a good friend who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 prostate cancer.

Thank you in advance!

• Like 1

1 - Danny Dreyer's Chi Running has piddle to do with qigong walking (I was highly disappointed in that book and the entire movement it inspired)

2 - Clinical qigong walking is a very potent practice. Look up Guolin xi xi hu. This is what the OP is about.

• Like 1

I just found Guolin myself. Interesting story and here is link to basic method

http://superqigong.com/articlesmore.asp?id=7

And story

http://www.qigongchinesehealth.com/walking_qigong

Links are good. Here is the methodology from the article:

THE BASIC QIGONG WALK by Dr Amir Farid Isahak

The Anti-Cancer Qigong

waking-qi-gong.jpg

There are many variations of the Qigong Walk, each with certain benefits for different organ systems. They are all modifications of the basic walk ( also called ‘natural walk’ ), which is itself actually an extension of the basic Qigong stance.

There are five parts of the walk that are different from our usual walk, and these changes ensure that the mind is always aware of all the actions ( movements and breathing ) during the walk, and qi flow is enhanced.

1) THE FOOTSTEP

When we walk, most of us do so almost in a flat-footed manner, with the front part of the foot only minimally inclined upwards as we take each step. Some are actually flat-footed while others drag their feet.

In the Qigong walk, we deliberately step on our heel, with the foot inclined about 30 degrees upwards as we take each step. Doing so is particularly good for qi flow in the kidney meridian channels, which is essential for general health.

Note that the legs are always relaxed and slightly bent at the knees. If you straighten and stiffen your legs, and do the Qigong step, you will be walking Nazi-style.

2) THE ARM SWING

In our usual walk, we swing the opposite arm forward as we take each step. This swing is automatic. Nobody walks normally without moving the arms. In the Qigong Walk, the arms are swung to the front of the body instead, with the hands coming near the lower main energy centre ( Dan Tien ) which is situated about three fingerbreadths below the navel ( and about the same distance internally ). On the backswing, the hands come beside the buttocks but not as far back as in the usual walk.

There are differences in the hand position for those with health problems. For healthy people, the palms face the body, whereas they face the ground or upwards for different diseases. For some diseases, the fingers point downwards.

3) MODIFIED BREATHING

When we walk, our breathing is so spontaneous that we hardly think about it. In the Qigong Walk, the breathing is made mindful by modifying the inhalation. We inhale twice ( two sniffs ) and then exhale as usual. It is possible to do so only with conscious-breathing. Breathing is through the nose, with the tongue always touching the upper palate.

The breathing is coordinated with the footstep, and since the latter is coordinated with the arm-swing, all three components are therefore consciously coordinated.

In the basic walk, the inhalation is simultaneous with the foot that takes the first step. Males start with the left foot, and females with the right. As explained previously, there are differences in the Yin and Yang ( female and male ) qi.

4) SIDEWAYS BODY SWING

In our usual walk, we actually swing the body very slightly to balance it as we lift each leg alternately to step forward. This is necessary since the centre of gravity is shifted as we lift each leg. In the Qigong Walk, the swing is exaggerated, and becomes obvious if the walk is done slowly.

5) HEAD TURNING

In the basic Qigong Walk, we turn the head about 60 degrees sideways every 2,4,6 or 8 steps ( usually 4 ). This is coordinated with the feet, with the head always turning towards the side of the foot that is in front. This will facilitate the incorporation of modifications when the variations of the Qigong Walk are learned later.

During the Qigong Walk, look into the distant horizon and not at your feet. Initially, walk at whatever pace is comfortable for you. Different paces are recommended for different diseases.

The proper starting stance is unique but will not be described here. It will certainly be taught if you learn from an instructor.

This basic Qigong Walk is an excellent exercise for everyone to increase qi quickly. Twenty minutes of walking with inhalation on one foot, followed by another 20 minutes with inhalation on the other foot ( a short standing exercise with arm movements is done in between ) is the minimum exercise recommended. Another 20 minutes of stationary or other walking exercises will complete the required 1 hour of Qigong daily that is necessary to maintain optimum health.

Those with serious illnesses and cancers have to do up to 4 hours a day to reverse their diseases. This is usually split into morning and evening sessions, with plenty of rest in between each exercise. If they are too weak, they start with whatever they can cope with and increase the duration gradually. Those who are bed-ridden or immobile can start with the stationary exercises first ( standing, sitting or even lying down ).

It is not difficult to do the various Qigong Walks for longer durations because you do not get tired if you walk correctly, and you do not get bored if you walk among the fresh air, trees and interesting sceneries found in the parks and lake gardens. You will feel refreshed and charged-up with health-giving internal energy after each session.

It is truly amazing that just modifying the components of our usual walk has made it possible to reverse serious and terminal diseases. In Malaysia alone, every Sunday morning, many terminal-cancer survivors and several hundred non-terminal-cancer survivors do the Qigong Walk in the various parks all over the country. And there are many more cancer patients diligently practising in the hope of defeating the disease. Every week scores of cancer patients are joining these groups after hearing about what Qigong can do for them.

However, you should not wait until you get cancer to start practising Qigong. Prevention is better than cure, and you will gain health, vitality, rejuvenation and longevity in the process.

Dr Amir Farid Isahak
Is this similar to what you consider qi walking? If not how is it different?
The picture from the site makes it look a bit dancelike. I know Glenn Morris had a version that was a bit apelike with arms moving w/ the same leg, unlike conventional walking. Also I'm assuming in most qi gong walking the forward foot comes down lightly w/ no weight on it, then the weight transfers.
Thanks Michael
  • Like 3

2 methods:

Bagua variation:

Sunrise and Sunset for this practice are best.

Find a tree that attracts you, begin to walk a circle around this tree----- arms distance away. Dissolve and merge with the tree. This circulation will be performed with the breath. Inhale and gently draw energy in through palms/bubbling wells/huiyin into MDT--- as you reach the top of the inhale, exhale smoothly/seamlessly and allow this energy to rise up central channel to crown. Gently retain your breath here and compassionately give this energy that has refined/compressed throughout the circulation to all beings. Balance clockwise and counter-clockwise rotations. CW will add fire--- CCW will add water---- balancing will create steam. Allow your hands/arms to move as it serves you---- but be wary of being pushed by energy----- you'll disperse what you generate.

Non-Circular variation:

This should be done in a natural area---- you'll be drawing in energy from all aspects of the place you've chosen. You can meander with this practice--- no need to walk in a circle.

Once again, dissolve your form and merge with whats around you. The circulation here will also follow a breath cycle. Inhalation draws energy from bubbling wells (k1 feet) all the way up to the crown. Exhale seamlessly and allow this energy to leave the body and cascade outward and down all the way back to the feet/k1---- where you once again inhale and draw this energy back up. The exhaling energy will follow the shape of your magnetic field (roughly, an downward descending arc with apex about at the level of sacral chakra/xiphoid process, that surrounds the entire body).

Dissolve more deeply if the energy threatens to push you around. Perform this for as long as it feels good to do so.

***** both of these practices are performed with the intention to merge perfectly with God/Buddha/Tao etc. Don't perform for health. Don't perform to gain more energy. PURIFY YOUR FUCKING INTENTION. Then, smile, have fun and let go. fin.

These practices, as presented, lack specific resonance. But, performed with the proper intention, Spirit will provide what's needed to suit the practitioner perfectly.

all the best.

balance.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 6

Guolin organ strengthening xi xi hu, I learned and practiced intensively for almost 4 yrs as a major part of teacher schooling here.

• Like 1

3) MODIFIED BREATHING

1. When we walk, our breathing is so spontaneous that we hardly think about it. In the Qigong Walk, the breathing is made mindful by modifying the inhalation. We inhale twice ( two sniffs ) and then exhale as usual. It is possible to do so only with conscious-breathing. Breathing is through the nose, with the tongue always touching the upper palate.

2. The breathing is coordinated with the footstep, and since the latter is coordinated with the arm-swing, all three components are therefore consciously coordinated.

3. In the basic walk, the inhalation is simultaneous with the foot that takes the first step. Males start with the left foot, and females with the right. As explained previously, there are differences in the Yin and Yang ( female and male ) qi.

These notions are fallacies. It maybe corrected as follows:

1. The number of inhalation before exhalation makes no difference. It is better to breathe deeply with one smooth inhalation and it goes the same with exhalation.

2. It's ok to follow but not necessary.

3. Same as above in 2.

Note:

All Chi Kung practitioners should know about the UMB and use as a uniform guide.

• Like 1

You're wrong, chiD - there are very specific breath techniques in these forms. Period. If you're unfamiliar with them, then you should educate yourself before commenting, criticizing or correcting.

Xi = inhale

hu = exhale

These sounds are for the person calling "cadence" during group practice.

Xi xi hu pause

those are the four steps in the most advanced version.

In, in, out, pause

heel, ball, heel, ball

Slowly...

Little puffs of breath. Inaudible.

More in than out. The missing exhale takes a long time to get used to. You can't learn this from text or YouTube.

• Like 3

You're wrong, chiD - there are very specific breath techniques in these forms. Period. If you're unfamiliar with them, then you should educate yourself before commenting, criticizing or correcting.

hehehehe....

What do you think that you are doing right now......??? :D

It's fine, no problem. I am only suggesting it is only a guideline. It won't hurt if it was not followed.

Edited by ChiDragon

Walking is great because nobody needs to know I am doing tai chi chuan while doing it.

Sometimes I coordinate breathe, other times I just go tidal and let the waves crash where they may.

The transition of substantial to insubstantial with each leg is very fast if you are going at any sort of pace. That was overwhelming for me at first but it has been getting a lot better. The best thing still seems pretty far away.

When the practice opens up the body, the walking is more like swimming.

These are just my experiences. I wouldn't know how to start an argument about it.

• Like 3

These are just my experiences. I wouldn't know how to start an argument about it.

Interesting just how easy it appears to be for some to start an argument about discrepancy in personal experience. -_-

• Like 1

2 methods:

Bagua variation:

Sunrise and Sunset for this practice are best.

Find a tree that attracts you, begin to walk a circle around this tree----- arms distance away. Dissolve and merge with the tree. This circulation will be performed with the breath. Inhale and gently draw energy in through palms/bubbling wells/huiyin into MDT--- as you reach the top of the inhale, exhale smoothly/seamlessly and allow this energy to rise up central channel to crown. Gently retain your breath here and compassionately give this energy that has refined/compressed throughout the circulation to all beings. Balance clockwise and counter-clockwise rotations. CW will add fire--- CCW will add water---- balancing will create steam. Allow your hands/arms to move as it serves you---- but be wary of being pushed by energy----- you'll disperse what you generate.

Non-Circular variation:

This should be done in a natural area---- you'll be drawing in energy from all aspects of the place you've chosen. You can meander with this practice--- no need to walk in a circle.

Once again, dissolve your form and merge with whats around you. The circulation here will also follow a breath cycle. Inhalation draws energy from bubbling wells (k1 feet) all the way up to the crown. Exhale seamlessly and allow this energy to leave the body and cascade outward and down all the way back to the feet/k1---- where you once again inhale and draw this energy back up. The exhaling energy will follow the shape of your magnetic field (roughly, an downward descending arc with apex about at the level of sacral chakra/xiphoid process, that surrounds the entire body).

Dissolve more deeply if the energy threatens to push you around. Perform this for as long as it feels good to do so.

***** both of these practices are performed with the intention to merge perfectly with God/Buddha/Tao etc. Don't perform for health. Don't perform to gain more energy. PURIFY YOUR FUCKING INTENTION. Then, smile, have fun and let go. fin.

These practices, as presented, lack specific resonance. But, performed with the proper intention, Spirit will provide what's needed to suit the practitioner perfectly.

all the best.

balance.

I can identify with this post, balance. Thank you.

• Like 1