adept

Relying On No-one But Yourself

Okay, now that that's cleared up ...

Sure, we can be self-reliant to a degree but not totally unles we are one of those folks who live in a mountain cave and get everything we need from raw nature. But then, we are still reliant (dependant) on nature to provide for our needs. We can never be that island we hear talked about.

There was a Fresh Prince of Bel Air episode that had a similar moral to it.

I can't remember exactly what it was but Will was trying to achieve something all by himself, the way his dad (Uncle Phil) always had done. He royally screwed up and Phil went mad.

When Will explained that he was only doing it to live up to Phil, Phil lectured him and said no matter how much it looked like he made himself, he couldn't have done it without the assistance of so many others.

• Like 1

+1 plus the following:

1. The person who taught me Bagua

2. Natural environment

That is all in my particular case...for others it may differ to a certain degree, also depending on their circumstances, but ultimately the following golden rule applies to all:

Solitude is the path to purification.

That's the only way you will gain wisdom and reach the ultimate goal for your present rebirth...whatever it might be: a more evolved human, a bodhisattva, a non-returner or any other kind of saint regardless of the tradition being observed.

I just went back to remind myself what this thread was about lol.

This is contrary to what I just posted but I think it's very interesting. Solitude...I can totally say that is a very logical way to live with the Tao, sure. But what if everybody did this? It would be impossible to survive.

Could we really create a lifestyle where we didn't encounter another single being for the rest of this life and still manage to actually live?

We obviously need to learn from each other still...family maybe, or friends, or this forum.

I would say Chuang Tzu was talking about absolute dependency (like the little girl always tugging on her mother's coat asking for things) as opposed to being a complete hermit.

Edited by Rara

"There was no point freezing your nadgers off on top of some mountain while communing with the Infinite unless you could rely on a lot of impressionable young women to come along occasionally and say Gosh."

( Terry Pratchett. Maskerade).

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

"There was no point freezing your nadgers off on top of some mountain while communing with the Infinite unless you could rely on a lot of impressionable young women to come along occasionally and say Gosh."

Ha ha ha!

You hit the nail right on the head.

But I'd rather be a hammer.

Grandmaster P, you are a funny man.

:)

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 1

i did ask you to defend the 2 statements that you made

lol, "defend" statements against the fact that you don't agree with them. Who do you think you are? :D

Well, if your energy and for you "directing energy" is linked to your "body breath", that might be your case. If you've not made it to dis-link them yet, that's okay. But actually, in that case you have to rely on what other people teach and won't understand my point anyway.

I'm aware of the fact that most writings are directed towards beginners, and therefore teach you that breath is linked to energy.

If you would have the experience that "energetical breathing" is independent of "body breathing" you would have been able to understand my point right from the beginning, I assume. So obviously you either lack the experience, or you lack the interest in conversation or the wits to be able to connect that experience with what is brought up in conversation. Anyway I'd hardly think you'll understand it. So why should I waste too much typing about it ;)

And still I'd really like Chang to explain his issues against me, instead of silently putting me on igno first and now following you and liking posts that are directed against me, still not being brave enough to put his aversion against me into own words.

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 1

Well, I do fight back when I'm offended and treated with disrespect. Actually when reading your first post in this thread here towards me, I felt more like writing on dharmawheel. So don't be too surprised that you get answers according to that.

By the way, what would have been so difficult about writing an answer on-topic to my last post?

PS: And you're actually the second person on this board I encounter who behaves like that towards me. The other one might now be back at DW.

Edited by Yascra

what made it difficult for me to respond'on topic' to your latest post ?

idk man it coulda been the "my "lack of wits" and my inability to understand as you stated on your last post.

or it coulda been i saw you trying to draw chang into your bs here.

i tried to stay on topic a few pages back if you'll recall when i asked you to provide your explanation to those 2 statements i questioned. one being tha tbreathing is merely a mechanical way to put air in the lungs and thats all. you could have choose to continue the on topic convesation then instead of the off topic rant against me tha tyou chose to do

You're still OT and haven't responded yet to my explanation about those 2 statements you said you would have been interested.

At least I think you've been mod here for quite a while and still are more interested in drama than in talking about the topic.

Maybe having been a mod it is unusual to you that people dare to speak up if you insult them.

Edited by Yascra

let me guess; you dont play tai chi, do you?

or qigong?

or meditate?

you're not an athlete either most likely.

stick around this forum awhile and avoid the 90% posts that are just here to take up space to hide th eposts that are worth digging for, and if you are all about wu wei, which would be good :) you will still from time to time come across some of the most incredible, useful, amazingly beneficial gems

a mechanical way to put air in your lungs is called a ventillator and by learning how to breathe prpoerly you can avoid ever having to have to rely on one of those.

cheers!

Well, okay, might you get the answer that an Ex-mod might have deserved.

Oooh, thank you so much, actually never meditated, or did any of the things you mentioned. And yes, I'll have to read huuundreds of those great posts here until I'll understand what breathing is all about in meditation.

Thank you so much for your kindness. I would have been soo lost without your statement about all the things I don't do and therefore have no clue about. Actually, I wouldn't even have known about that they exist.

But.. you know.. I'm not so sure about whether I'll do any of them, you know? You guys here are all so great with your wise words, and I really hardly deserve to have such great company.

Thank you again. Could hardly been more friendly.

:)

-----------------

Might you have your satisfaction. And sorry to the rest of the community.

edit: And tell me a reason why I shouldn't. I offered you to be sorry about it. You're not. So why should I be. I've met too many bad persons to forgive people who are too proud to have the insight that their behaviour was not okay. If you like having basically good people as your foes, that's your decision. I'll be able to cope with that.

You started that. Your call.

Edited by Yascra

that post was inviting you to explore taichi, qigong, and meditation. or at least engage in a conversation about how breathing is more than just a mechanical way to fill the lungs.

i was also very interested to hear your thoughts about how there is no energy involved with breathing as you subsequently stated.

i dont see how me being an ex-mod is relevant to the conversation.

Ouh, for sure. Whenever I want to invite someone for a friendly conversation about something I engage in, I'll start with the words: "Let me guess: You've never done any of these, right?"

Nice invitation.

Well, I don't see why me being a Steward is relevant to the conversation. Obviously that, again, was your idea.

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 2

i was also very interested to hear your thoughts about how there is no energy involved with breathing as you subsequently stated.

Give each other a break this time, let go of the negative cycle thats built up. I don't think either party wants to fight, just a bad dynamic. Get the conversation back to the OP. You both have much to contribute. Few people breath better then a flutist, and there's a breathwork is a large a subject as I can imagine.

• Like 3

Relying On No-one But Yourself means discarding all religious attempts to make spirituality a group event.

How about this, young man...???

Relying On No-one But Yourself means to determine which religion to be followed on your own.

Relying On No-one But Yourself will mean that few people will ever understand you.

Relying On No-one But Yourself is a way to surely get into trouble should you talk about it.

It doesn't matter, only, if you are defending the truth.

Therefore..

..relying On No-one But Yourself sometimes really ain't no easy way to go.

There is always a way out if one handles right.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Relying On No-one But Yourself means to determine which religion to be followed on your own.

Like Shakyamuni Buddha did, and how he attained buddhahood you mean. Sure.

Finally he was nothing else than any other Hindu. Which will be why his followers decided not to give this development a name or term on it's own. Which is why we still have no differences between Buddhism and Hinduism.

Great comment.

Edited by Yascra
  • Like 1

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/474083/pratyeka-buddha

You may want to look up Pratyekabuddha yana. Self enlightenment? Sounds easy? No is not. :) There are thousands of ways your path can go wrong..... Self enlightenment is already indicating that it is an outside path, and not following a particular path. Yet, somehow, you can arrive at what you need to be, in your enlightenment path. How?

Don't be arrogant. You can't do everything on your own. If not helps from others, you would definitely need help and guidance from various immortal beings.

• Like 1

I never did.

I never will.

You can't rely on anyone in this world.

Except deci belle.

Thanks a zillion babe.

I hope yer listenin'.

I think I schooled them too hard in ultimate reality.

But maybe I still need a lesson or two from teach.

I got an apple.

;)

Edited by Captain Mar-Vell
  • Like 2

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/474083/pratyeka-buddha

You may want to look up Pratyekabuddha yana. Self enlightenment? Sounds easy? No is not. :) There are thousands of ways your path can go wrong..... Self enlightenment is already indicating that it is an outside path, and not following a particular path. Yet, somehow, you can arrive at what you need to be, in your enlightenment path. How?

Don't be arrogant. You can't do everything on your own. If not helps from others, you would definitely need help and guidance from various immortal beings.

First of all, one must be enlightened with the word "Enlightenment". At the end, self-enlightenment is on one's own. Otherwise, it is not self Enlightenment.

• Like 1

First of all, one must be enlightened with the word "Enlightenment". At the end, self-enlightenment is on one's own. Otherwise, it is not self Enlightenment.

But in actuality, there is no self enlightenment because, once you have reached enlightenment, you are no more different than those who have reached it via various different school of thoughts or your own path. I think that's why the self enlightenment path, or the Partyekabuddha yana, is so interesting and yet very difficult to grasp and to understand.

• Like 1

........... I think that's why the self enlightenment path, or the Partyekabuddha yana, is so interesting and yet very difficult to grasp and to understand.

Ofc...it is not ABC you know....!!!

• Like 1