thelerner

Its cold out there, what are your thoughts on Tummo?

its doable, but if you have a nice warm jacket you can use, then its pursuit is what I would call 'spiritual bling-bling' - i.e. wanting to have an ability just because it is cool and flashy. Unless you are already fully enlightened at all times and can afford to spend the extra effort on something unimportant in the long run. hehe

that being so, I have always been interested in attaining it myself, but I currently have not the discipline.

• Like 1

Nothing like dude is doing, but I was walking around in a tshirt yesterday while others were huddled up in jackets. Not a big deal during the day, but as soon as sunset hit the temperature dropped rapidly. So I put on my jacket. I was the only one during the 20 minute wait at the bus stop which wasn't noticeable uncomfortable due to the cold. It's even more handy when there is snow on the ground and it is below freezing. I find it to be a very handy skill. Btw, I'm just talking about ldt work that seems to cause me to be WAY warmer and sometimes even sweat just standing there and freezing temperatures.

The other day I walked barefoot in the snow to get the groceries out of the car making several trips. I stayed as calm and aware as I could and it was both invigorating and educational. Even after 1 minute my feet were mostly numb and burning...I can't imagine the control and skill a person like Wim Hoff must have to maintain circulation to his appendages for over an hour in ice.

I think it is a matter of practice. Well OK and start in the spring an work up. I can take the garbage out through the back (20 feet) for most of the year... lol.... and it is no special talent, it is conditioning of my feet due to being to lazy to put shoes on on the way out :D. I think we can do a lot of amazing things just from exposure and conditioning. For example people in alaska in shorts and tshirts at -20, but putting on a jacket at -50... I would have 10 layers on at -5 myself ;). (Celsius).

Yeah - it's exactly like the SAID principle I mentioned a few weeks ago. Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands...however, there is always a limit to adaptation which differs from individual to individual. Take me for instance! I am an ectomorph - 6' 6" and most of that is in my legs. So you know my circulation isn't the greatest. For me to do what some others might do would take even more practice and dedication. I know my weak areas, and as much as I always wanted to be able to do g'tummo, I don't think it's going to fly. I am however a strong believer in the Chinese medicine belief that one should be outside every day in the winter time especially for at least 30-60 minutes - to keep the system from getting too used to a particular homeostasis, which would cause undue stress to an individual if you take that individual out of said homeostasis and exposed them to conditions that were extreme to their set points.

• Like 1

30-60 minutes per day outside year round is easy enough.... going to work... grocery shopping... social outings. Have to get to and from there. PS I don't have a car :). I tend to walk to the gym, so get my outdoor time in a lot. We also train martial arts and qigong outdoors around here.

• Like 4

Not so secret ingredient: Practice. This is the wick.

Secret Ingredient is: Juice. Chi, lots of it. This is the flame.

• Like 1

Speaking of Wim Hof. Here's a video, not much said, but it links to his ebook thats downloadable for free if you 'like' him on facebook. Just did. Waiting for the book to be sent. Here's a link to the vid.

Just got the ebook, 43 pages, most about Hof, various articles and scientific studies he's been in. Not much of a how to guide though. Not as condensed or indepth as what we posted early on how to do his method. Worthwhile for more information on the man but I was hoping for more depth about the method and less sciency results.

I was hoping the video would be a concise showing of his method, but its not.

• Like 1

There is some Wim Hof breathing methods in this video towards the end . Although it is slightly distracting/annoying video in a way , becouse the blond woman is so all over him and I seriously thought that by the end of breathing cycle they will have an orgasm .

Anyway I am inspired by this thread to take up cold showers again starting tomorrow morning :). They really do give a good kick , more than triple expresso . Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edited by suninmyeyes
  • Like 1

I'd agree with this, tummo goes very deep, which is why I mentioned a lower level as well as the higher. Still even the lower level, the ability to warm yourself can be a lifesaver. I also see it leading to greater healing. But that which can heal can also hurt, best to use caution and get some experienced instruction and feedback before taking it too deep.

Very good advice. Tummo isnt something to just fuck around with... as sometimes the line between heal/hurt gets dropped altogether.

A phoenix isnt born from "medium rare" or "well done".

• Like 1

I was hoping for more depth about the method and less sciency results.

Browse around the 'sacred texts' website for methods, although not sure if you will be able to practice it safely because its quite esoteric, and ideally suited for those who actually follow the Buddhist tantric path devotedly. There is also a taoist version in there somewhere.

Quite an elaborate site so tread with care, and happy hunting, cos there are lots to sieve thru before you find the precise method for developing inner light and heat.

If its meant for you to get it, you will find it. This is the best i can do. Against my principle to provide exact link sorry.

• Like 1

More Wim Hof

and Shelfing with others up on a mountain.

What I like is he's got such a wonderful life giving attitude. On top of the mountain, Kilamanjaro and Everest Next! Lets go get a beer. The sense of play as well as mastery.

• Like 1

And what should we think about this kid? Fool? Idiot? Bold? Adventurer? Hof in training?

A bit of each. It depends a bit on how he trained.

I like this kid. I have got to try this: A Swedish Torch

Also saw a video making a Swedish torch w/ an axe. The log was split in 4 pieces, but as long as they're standing close to each other w/ a bit of space inbetween, it still works.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

Here's our local tough mudder!!!

ToughMudderVancouverObstacle.jpg

:( (yes, yes that is snow, and it is up a local mountain).

Swedish torches are so awesome! ..... and would be really nice after part a.

highres_300881392.jpeg

Edited by BaguaKicksAss

Tig Le (T.T. Thig Le; Skt.: Bindu) - the vital source of physical energy, i.e. semen, secretions of the endocrine system, and the like.
Generally speaking, the loss of Tig Le harms all meditation practices, but it is always fatal to the Duma Yoga. No benefit whatsoever can be gained from any form of meditation if one loses his Tig Le. All efforts should therefore be made to preserve this vital force, including the application of further special exercises designed to retain and stabilize it.
The Teachings Of Tibetan Yoga, Garma C.C. Chang

Also, it's not a seasonal practice...

From the same book:

On the other hand, if the yogi lives too austerely, he will not have the strength to sustain the Dumo practice. As a result he will be reluctant to practice further, and will stop at the half-way mark. If this has been the case, he should rest thoroughly and eat good and nourishing food to restore his strength and health.

edit: formatting

Edited by dujepaskvalin

Brrr! It's cold in here! There must be some Tao Bums in the Atmosphere!!!

It would be interesting to read up on how the brain causes the body to produce a fever - I bet there is some possibility of relatedness of that to tummo

Brrr! It's cold in here! There must be some Tao Bums in the Atmosphere!!!

I've had that run through my head every time I see this thread for weeks now :/

• Like 1