Brian

Poll inspired by BKA's "karma" thread

What Is YOUR motivation?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Why do YOU do energy-work/cultivation/meditation/whatever?

• Longevity
    • Immortality
    • End cycle of reincarnation
    • Avoid hell
    • Enter heaven
    • Cool "superhuman abilities"
    • Reach nirvana
    • Find myself
    • Sex
    • Money/Power
    • Self-defence
    • Join with Light/Tao/God/ThatWhichIs/etc.
    • Help others
    • Personal healing
    • Boredom
    • To impress others
    • Erase karma
    • Gain ultimate knowledge
    • Don't know
    • Other (please annotate in a post)
  2. 2. Which is the single most important objective?

• Longevity
    • Immortality
    • End cycle of reincarnation
    • Avoid hell
    • Enter heaven
    • Cool "superhuman abilities"
    • Reach nirvana
    • Find myself
    • Sex
    • Money/Power
    • Self-defence
    • Join with Light/Tao/God/ThatWhichIs/etc.
    • Help others
    • Personal healing
    • Boredom
    • To impress others
    • Erase karma
    • Gain ultimate knowledge
    • Don't know
    • Other (please annotate in a post)

My annotation for other is, that I do everything I do because it is a summation of all I am

and all my experiences in light of the context in which I am.

In other words , its my opinion that the structured conceptry we might use to answer the above question

may not be as clear cut as it might be drawn for clarity.

The ultimate objective is to answer the ultimate question

" what do I do now?" in light of what is the context.

Yeah I know its not a direct answer. I dont know what good a direct answer would do anyone ,

but if its someones cup of tea then I wouldnt deny it to them.

• Like 2

Exactly. :D

The most notable being the whole outcropping of "positive thinking" applications (the gift of the CIA to the New Age movement, actually, if you go for where this whole 'lineage" really comes from). A friend of mine called all these -- anger management, unconditional love, random acts of kindness, suppression of negative (but real) emotions and expression of positive (but fake) ones "fucking with the surface." That's some existential photoshop going on if you ask me...

Taomeow,

Very interesting take. I'm very interested in your view on this this. (Though perhaps I should make it a new thread as it doesn't really fit the topic?) Do you consider Buddhist Metta practice--repeating over and over again phrases like "may you be happy"--external photoshopping?

What about Mantak Chia's healing sounds? If I do the heart sound "Ha" and let go of impatience and hatred in my heart and begin to feel love....is that different?

Loving feelings generated from a practice like Metta, are different from loving feelings that arise from detoxing the internal organs?

Ack! Liminal, I wrote a response, but when I pressed "post," the site hiccuped and ate it whole. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

Ack! Liminal, I wrote a response, but when I pressed "post," the site hiccuped and ate it whole. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. :)

That happened to a few folks/posts today unfortunately when the site went down for a few hours.

• Like 1

I have changed my mind.

Superpowers it is, now that I think about it.

At my present level, I can pull off some pretty awesome blessings and healing work... however, there is so much I cannot do yet. Well also, the strength of such things tends to vary for me. Also sometimes small miracles are also needed, which I haven't pulled any of those off yet.

More practice needed :).

• Like 1

It's your mind. You can change it any time you wish.

However, what you are speaking to are not superpowers. They are powers that are available to some. (No, I'm not one of them.)

Yes, more practice and interaction with those who have the ability. (Finding these people is difficult though as many people make unsupported claims.)

I still just want to live long just to see how many more people I can piss off.

• Like 3

Why do you feel you are not one of them?

Do you think folks are born with the potential? Or?

Yes I beleive they are natural as well, just some seem to call them supernatural.

I have been fortunate with teacher finding over my lifetime, well I mean overall, there were a couple of douzies in there too lol.

Why do you feel you are not one of them?

I have never had those types of abilities. I am a mechanical man. (That's wierd. Hehehe.) I have never seen ghosts, bigfoot, aliens, or any of the other imaginary things. I have little imagination. But I can do a really great job on a mechanical project. Lots of thing I can do, but lots of things I can't do.

Do you think folks are born with the potential? Or?

Yes I do believe that we are born with our own set of capabilities and capacities. Within those areas where we have abilities we can tune those abilities so that we can do 'magic'. But outside our set we are less than efficient.

Yes I beleive they are natural as well, just some seem to call them supernatural.

Agree. And true, some powers are amazing so that observers think that they are supernatural.

I have been fortunate with teacher finding over my lifetime, well I mean overall, there were a couple of douzies in there too lol.

Hehehe. We meet the douzies in all aspects of life. Thank goodness they are the minority.

• Like 2

One of the center goals of my practice is "power".....but not in the negative sense that most people use such as power over others. With cultivation comes power over oneself and the ability to consciously choose rather than be pulled back and forth by past and present influences/karma.....etc. However, power is used in a negative sense in the options so I refrained from clicking that one.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 4

I love Blackmore's Night.

I want love really.

Do you think chicks dig a guy with superpowers?

Nah, not usually, most don't beleive in the things we call superpowers...

Prob ways to get chicks that don't take a few hours of day for a lifetime of training though ;).

Hehehe

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Nah, not usually, most don't beleive in the things we call superpowers...

Yeah.

I'd kinda noticed that one.

Just out of curiosity, what's a specific example of an attainable superpower ? By what means is it effected ? And does Gladwells 10000 hour rule apply ?

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

That would be telling.

Superpowers aside.

I just had an intuition.

We are here to heal.

And to help each other heal.

Super intuition.

Wis 18+

• Like 1