Sign in to follow this  
zerostao

contributed articles idea-open for discussion

If mods did what r v says is so simple according to OPs wishes there would be no need for this thread.

Philosophical discussion is one thing, expounding Complete Reality is another.

How can mods be objective without first seeing their nature to open their dharma eye and see objective reality?

And we don't have any of those yet, to my knowledge.

I was under the impression that all the mod team have achieved ultimate enlightenment.

(and the Stewards are Bodhisattvas ... )

• Like 1

A few thoughts quickly re: contributed articles, and strategies for "protecting the message". Probably I'll write something more extensive publicly, that covers larger related topics, but this just quickly...

What I'm talking about is when someone wants to present some quality material in some protected way. *Very* legitimate, but not what TTBs is set up for.

Within the current framework of TTBs set-up (+ other web resources)...
1. create a blog, using wordpress.com (free) or other. Use it to
a. write articles,
b. but maybe more importantly for this idea, store pdf's of articles you've written.

2. Make a post at TTBs with some teaser-portion of that article, plus a link to the pdf. (You could simply attach a pdf, but that would run up your attachment megabytes, which has a limit.) Then people who want to read the whole thing will likely open the pdf and print it, probably save it to their home computer.
*That* is a good outcome:
- They're more likely to give a document like that quality focused attention at home, not just a post flying by that they can post-disagree with. (The forum's post printing facilities are awful, btw, so the pdf remedies that.)
- They are less likely to post a poorly considered disagreement, because they'd have to reference & quote the pdf, too much work. More likely that responses would be of higher quality due to effort involved.
- You'd have one place (the blog) where anyone could easily download & read any / all of your articles. Link to your blog in your TTBs signature line.

Maybe the above is not appropriate for you; I don't know.
... but it's a thought. :)

- Trunk

p.s.
Some time soon I'll write a broader supportive guide (working title, "Cafeteria / Classroom") for people who need / want to protect their message more than TTBs naturally supports. There are free blog services, free discussion forum services, etc, that people can use skillfully in conjunction with their presence on TTBs. For teachers, or people who are becoming teachers, or anyone who is producing material that they want to present in a more protected focused way. This guide will clarify what TTBs is / isn't, and provide supportive options for those navigating in between.

p.p.s.
This is 1 of 2 "bridges" that I see need to be built between TTBs and non-TTB formats:
1. bridge to protected formats "Cafeteria / Classroom" and
2. bridge to local get-togethers, "Training Partners, Training Parties"

p.p.p.s.
If your word processor does not already support export to pdf files, CutePDF Writer is the free defacto standard for creating pdfs.

• Like 3

You could also lock the CA section so that there is no discussion and let the author have sole editing rights - if the board's settings allow that.

If anyone wants to discuss, that could happen in the author's PPF or in general discussion.

Hi,

These are excellent a doable ideas ... I have a blog where I put my pdf articles and also post them on TBs usually in my ppf. Its usually info on Ancient Egyptian Religion.

My reservation(s) about this in the sense of filling the current hole of posting detailed and informative subject matter is the lack of any Q&A (except perhaps in the ppf - but then its not publicly searchable). I've posted threads in Hermetic on Egyptian symbolism and so on which allowed questions and also I am managing to sustain a thread on the Gospel on Thomas as a verse by verse discussion. But I only think this is working because Hermetic is a minority channel and I as steward have kept on top by asking people not to post anything too tangential ... most people are responsive to this and I haven't had to do much except hide one post which the mods agreed was basically spam. Had I tried to do this in general dis. then it would have been hopeless and the level playing field would have prevented me doing anything about the 'christianity is a load of puke' brigade.

The other reservation about your ideas is it takes off board the good content. I would like to see TBs have a resource of useful, high level but accessible information about the various schools and practices available. I would like to see it organised in a way that people can easily search it and interrogate it. I suppose this could be a linked but separate board ... but I really don't see why we can't have our cake and eat it on this one. I know you don't agree Trunk but I just thought I'd give my 2p. (2c.)

• Like 2

You could also lock the CA section so that there is no discussion and let the author have sole editing rights - if the board's settings allow that.

If anyone wants to discuss, that could happen in the author's PPF or in general discussion.

That is not possible with the forum software. Either, there would have to be one CA section for every member who wrote one. OR 50 mods for the CA section and hope no one cheats and posts in another one or whatever.

PS PFFs rock for articles, it would be awesome if more members would use them for this.

That is not possible with the forum software. Either, there would have to be one CA section for every member who wrote one. OR 50 mods for the CA section and hope no one cheats and posts in another one or whatever.

PS PFFs rock for articles, it would be awesome if more members would use them for this.

Hardly anyone looks at articles posted in ppfs ... if people are going to go to the trouble of writing them then they want to get some interest.

• Like 1

Hi,

These are excellent a doable ideas ... I have a blog where I put my pdf articles and also post them on TBs usually in my ppf. Its usually info on Ancient Egyptian Religion.

My reservation(s) about this in the sense of filling the current hole of posting detailed and informative subject matter is the lack of any Q&A (except perhaps in the ppf - but then its not publicly searchable). I've posted threads in Hermetic on Egyptian symbolism and so on which allowed questions and also I am managing to sustain a thread on the Gospel on Thomas as a verse by verse discussion. But I only think this is working because Hermetic is a minority channel and I as steward have kept on top by asking people not to post anything too tangential ... most people are responsive to this and I haven't had to do much except hide one post which the mods agreed was basically spam. Had I tried to do this in general dis. then it would have been hopeless and the level playing field would have prevented me doing anything about the 'christianity is a load of puke' brigade.

The other reservation about your ideas is it takes off board the good content. I would like to see TBs have a resource of useful, high level but accessible information about the various schools and practices available. I would like to see it organised in a way that people can easily search it and interrogate it. I suppose this could be a linked but separate board ... but I really don't see why we can't have our cake and eat it on this one. I know you don't agree Trunk but I just thought I'd give my 2p. (2c.)

I'm definitely going to go read your PFF now!

One possible problem I see with the format you are suggesting is that then I could go and use the forum's google ranking to promote my awesome Bagua school, over and over, and it could get awfully spammy around here with all that SEO stuff I'd be sure to add in. Then if you get 10 schools doing it...

Also the whole who gets to be included and who does not? What is considered "good" and what is not (to be fair I think we would have to stay unbiased with that)...

I'm definitely going to go read your PFF now!

One possible problem I see with the format you are suggesting is that then I could go and use the forum's google ranking to promote my awesome Bagua school, over and over, and it could get awfully spammy around here with all that SEO stuff I'd be sure to add in. Then if you get 10 schools doing it...

Also the whole who gets to be included and who does not? What is considered "good" and what is not (to be fair I think we would have to stay unbiased with that)...

good points ... I think that only those who are willing to post specially written material and subject themselves to questions would be allowed ... so spam would be a no-no ... and we already have plenty of self promoters and spam as it is ...

• Like 2

good points ... I think that only those who are willing to post specially written material and subject themselves to questions would be allowed ... so spam would be a no-no ... and we already have plenty of self promoters and spam as it is ...

Yeah that's a concern the self promoters and spammers would take this new opportunity... but hopefully not :).

I think another concern was what exactly constitutes "content" or "an article". Does one sentence count? Does a thread with nothing but a bunch of videos count? Stuff like that.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the Egyptian magic section, anytime you want to start!!! :) :) :)

Yeah that's a concern the self promoters and spammers would take this new opportunity... but hopefully not :).

I think another concern was what exactly constitutes "content" or "an article". Does one sentence count? Does a thread with nothing but a bunch of videos count? Stuff like that.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to the Egyptian magic section, anytime you want to start!!! :) :) :)

I think an article has to be a piece of original writing ... I think that's what it says on the index page. Links to videos or websites and long quotes would not cut it and would be moved to general dis or where ever ...

• Like 1

If we are thinking of off site options perhaps someone could build a TTB wiki and use that as a database of knowledge along with the existing discussion forum?

I've seen pages filled with different sized words, kinda like a mind map. The words are the most often used in the blog and link to threads. Not exactly sure what I'm talking about, but someone more net savvy might.

If it exists and is easy to implement we could have a link to it on top. Though I fear the biggest word would be Mo Pai and The Pit

Edited by thelerner

I think they are named search clouds

internal_site_search_tag_cloud.png

I use to ammuse myself doing wordles (a web site that creates clouds) from TTB's RSS feed eg. ThatTaoBums2010

Edited by Mal Stainkey

Sign in to follow this