xor

Getting sick and cultivation

So I was sick for two days and after that with a minor sickness(sneezing, cough, hard to concentrate) a week or two. Felt like a novel experience since I haven't really been sick for some years. During that time I stopped almost all of my physical and meditation practices, and started getting back to "mindless entertainment"(gaming really) that I thought I'd never get back into again. Afterwards it felt like I've been set back more than I expected. I've only been back to decent routine now for a few days.

So my question is, how do you handle getting sick and what kind of cultivation is good while being sick? Any thoughts appreciated, I'd like to avoid getting into a slump like that.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

Supposedly fasting while sick Is a healthy practice as it boosts your immune systems response because you are not digesting food and all of your energy goes to fighting off infection. Have yet to try it but I have heard others talk about there results with it.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

There is a difference between chronic dis-ease and short periodic dis-ease.

With the short ones, In my experience, its mostly due to exhaustion and over-extending. So a break is a good thing, depending.

I always work within the realm of comfort. I practice when my body feels comfortable and for how long. Otherwise, I over-extend and im expending more.

Sometimes, the practice itself will bring about changes that can create periods of "weakness". Feelings of sick and pain.

It does help to have a good teacher to guide you.

If you dont have one, I would just listen to your self. Feel out what seems to help and what does not.

Find your limits. Where is the line, where you move from relaxation to over-extending? Where does it stop being comfortable and rejuvinating?

That will help, I feel. Atleast, it has with my own practice and life in general.

Peace

• Like 3

So I was sick for two days and after that with a minor sickness(sneezing, cough, hard to concentrate) a week or two. Felt like a novel experience since I haven't really been sick for some years. During that time I stopped almost all of my physical and meditation practices, and started getting back to "mindless entertainment"(gaming really) that I thought I'd never get back into again. Afterwards it felt like I've been set back more than I expected. I've only been back to decent routine now for a few days.

The mindless entertainment is OK. Gaming is OK. The "real" life is nothing but a game for our entertainment purpose.

The problem is you feel "bad" afterwards. Maybe you should look at new ways to play the game so you feel great afterwards.

It's not what you do. It's how you do it with what attitude.

When I get sick, I tend to curse "God" first. I'd call him all kind of bad names. After the burst of anger, I'm tired. I lie on the bed and gaze the ceiling for hours.

• Like 1

During that time I stopped almost all of my physical and meditation practices, and started getting back to "mindless entertainment"(gaming really) that I thought I'd never get back into again......

How long have you been stopped your physical and meditation practices before you get sick......????

I have found that while at first it feels like a setback, that I end up further ahead than before thanks to the break. It is as if we need the odd break to push us forward or make us stronger.

• Like 3

I have found that while at first it feels like a setback, that I end up further ahead than before thanks to the break. It is as if we need the odd break to push us forward or make us stronger.

I have had similar experiences. Sometimes things internally are changing and we need to rest.

There are times when I feel to exhausted to do much QiGong that requires movements. During these times, when I just let my system rest, at the end things have changed in a good direction.

if I let my system rest.

• Like 1

Agreed.

There are times, not just when the system is taxed and recovering that I take a break.

It works like a system reboot on the computer.

Few times a year, I'll also alter my sleep pattern with a sleep fast, followed a few days later by a binge.

Recalibration.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

When I get sick I stop all of my physical practices and increase my sitting meditation practice, longer periods of sitting. Either way you are going to be suffering, being sick sucks. But at least by increasing the amount of meditation you are doing which can still be done fine with most sicknesses you can give yourself some physical relief and slow down or stop all your physical practice.

I always do lime juice daily while sick, lots of organic fruits and preferably light soups once you can stomach them. Actually lime juice a few times a week (lime squeezed into a little water) clears toxins and may help prevent common sicknesses.

It seems I have come across a NOTHING MATTERS type thinker in this thread. Interesting, I was thinking there may be some of these types on a forum like this and my premonition was correct. Nothing matters type thinker as in there is no good, and no evil. So do whatever you want to do, take drugs and steal things, what does it matter? Everything is nothing after all. Video games are a completely valid spiritual practice, indeed. In fact, why not play your life like it's just a big game? But I don't steal or do drugs you say, but so what if you did, after all THERE IS NO EVIL? So why would it matter? When your hair starts turning gray and your skin starts wilting, tell me if the game of life is still as enjoyable, and if your valid practices proved valuable to you, or maybe you will simply be too far deluded and gone to be able to grasp anything but the illusory delusions your wayward thinking has reaped for you. Well then, I believe I must go now.

I hope you feel better OP and resume your practices!

Edited by Colonel Goji
  • Like 2

Lots of useful responses here, thank you :) I'm seeing more of the positives now.

There were some themes here that I have some thoughts on...

Detox, recalibration and rest

- yes, I suppose this could be the case. I didn't think I was really overdoing anything but I've lost alot of weight over a couple of years and that could be a reason to require rest or something that releases toxins stored in bodyfat.

Sitting meditation during sick

- it felt like I had bees buzzing in my head, so I didn't try it very long. Will keep in mind if/when I get sick next time.

Fasting, juicing

- I've heard good things about these, but didn't remember them to apply when I was sick.

Gaming

- as far as mindless entertainment goes that's what it is for me and I was hoping I was completely over it outside of some social activity with friends. I don't consider myself better than anyone but I'm selective with what beliefs or practices I have. I tend to be "hard on myself, easy on others" even with things I consider bad.

• Like 1

Yes, it helps one to recover faster from tissue that was damaged during sickness, something immune-boosters cannot do (I think).

So my question is, how do you handle getting sick and what kind of cultivation is good while being sick? Any thoughts appreciated, I'd like to avoid getting into a slump like that.

Wow, I opened a similar thread the other day! "The Meditation Freak Out"

Although mine was self-inflicted, I still had major issues with concentration and anxiety. I feel a bit better today...just be patient.! Nothing has been undone...it just seems that way at the moment

• Like 1

Lots of useful responses here, thank you :) I'm seeing more of the positives now.

There were some themes here that I have some thoughts on...

Detox, recalibration and rest

- yes, I suppose this could be the case. I didn't think I was really overdoing anything but I've lost alot of weight over a couple of years and that could be a reason to require rest or something that releases toxins stored in bodyfat.

Sitting meditation during sick

- it felt like I had bees buzzing in my head, so I didn't try it very long. Will keep in mind if/when I get sick next time.

Fasting, juicing

- I've heard good things about these, but didn't remember them to apply when I was sick.

Gaming

- as far as mindless entertainment goes that's what it is for me and I was hoping I was completely over it outside of some social activity with friends. I don't consider myself better than anyone but I'm selective with what beliefs or practices I have. I tend to be "hard on myself, easy on others" even with things I consider bad.

Amazing synchronicity.You sound so familiar hehe

Are you using any forceful energy manipulation techniques to move energy around the body?

Sorry for skipping the question before, I was a bit unsure how to answer. At the moment, no, but I was doing a version of MCO some weeks prior to being sick. Don't know if you could call it forceful, but it felt too powerful so I stopped.

..I was doing a version of MCO some weeks prior to being sick. Don't know if you could call it forceful, but it felt too powerful so I stopped.

My point for the question. Looks like you may have your answer.

• Like 1

My point for the question. Looks like you may have your answer.

It is possible.

Don't know if I expressed it correctly but I meant I had stopped doing it some weeks before I got sick and so it's harder to make the connection. I'm pretty sure if I continued I could have messed myself up.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1