4bsolute

Possible cardio exercises in a meditative lifestyle, what do You do?

Dear Ones,

I'm really interested if anyone else here lives a meditative lifestyle and does some sports at the same time. What sports, what exercises? :)

Originally I come from long-distance running and I loved that, but my personal development drove me into meditation and as expected everything became much more quiet. Which is just what I always wanted. Qi Gong has been recently introduced into my day, but I feel I lack an exercise that pushes my bodies condition abit.

I say this right out fully honest: I have bad bowel movements. Yep, there you go. I follow a typical Taoist Diet with only vegetarian food, balanced and the right amount of liquid. My appendix was removed in a surgery a few years ago and who every has information about such a surgery might know that this "can" cause some issues with bowel movements due to not having the right amounts of enzymes ready for digestion. So sports always did the trick...

Maybe I can learn something from you! Who knows. What kind of cardio exercises do you have integrated into your meditative lifestyle? Let me, let us know :)

Kind regards.

Edited by 4bsolute

Dear Ones,

I'm really interested if anyone else here lives a meditative lifestyle and does some sports at the same time. What sports, what exercises? :)

Originally I come from long-distance running and I loved that, but my personal development drove me into meditation and as expected everything became much more quiet. Which is just what I always wanted. Qi Gong has been recently introduced into my day, but I feel I lack an exercise that pushes my bodies condition abit.

I say this right out fully honest: I have bad bowel movements. Yep, there you go. I follow a typical Taoist Diet with only vegetarian food, balanced and the right amount of liquid. My appendix was removed in a surgery a few years ago and who every has information about such a surgery might know that this "can" cause some issues with bowel movements due to not having the right amounts of enzymes ready for digestion. So sports always did the trick...

Maybe I can learn something from you! Who knows. What kind of cardio exercises do you have integrated into your meditative lifestyle? Let me, let us know :)

Kind regards.

I understand that Qi Gong is the best kind of cardio exercise that you can integrated into your meditative lifestyle. However, you must have the right concept about Qi Gong in mind. Otherwise, you will not have the right effect as you have expected. Can you tell me what have you been introduced about Qi Gong so far....??? Thanks.

Edited by ChiDragon

I do medium to slow squats. Legs spread apart a bit more then shoulder length. I keep my hands together, fingers gently interlocked, as I squat down down, trying to sit back (not forward, keeps the knees safer) and go as low as in comfortable, I swing my hands between my knees in round natural fashion. As I come up, I swing my arms over my head, they naturally bend at the elbow and hand swing behind my head. Then I sit down, the action of the squat with the large hand motion is repeated.

Sometimes as my arms swing over my head I'll arch my back so it get a complimentary stretch. I'm not in great shape, but it doesn't take to long of this pumping squat to start getting me out of breath. Round relaxing and a bit of a work out.

Anything, really.

Martial arts, hiking, backpacking, rafting, running, biking, any sports. I don't see how they conflict with a meditative lifestyle in any way.

I do Bagua, hike, backpack, some biking, lots of walking. Often any number of other things...

• Like 2

There comes a time when a man must come back to the world of the living and tell the world about the power of horse stance

• Like 8

I always thought that daoist recluses used to walk for hours every day... in the mountains with hard climbs, etc: that would be enough cardio exercise :)

• Like 3

Running and... MIGHTY HORSE STANCE! ;)

Yes! :)

But it should be the martial horse-stance because the medical one (knees bent very slightly) will not do the cardio training.

Martial horse-stance has 3 step:

1) riding the horse

2) holding the ball

3) then, there's the highly secretive Nei-Gong of Mount Heng which combines both:

it's called 使馬吞下球, make the horse swallow the ball

horse-pill.jpg

horse1.jpg

:D:D:D:D:P

Just being mindful in whatever you want to do. ie , I cycle and concentrate yet stay relaxed. Never been hit by a car haha

I always thought that daoist recluses used to walk for hours every day... in the mountains with hard climbs, etc: that would be enough cardio exercise :)

Climbing the steps on the mountain is great cardio the 72 peaks are dangerous certain death with any misstep but the stairs up 6000 ft peaks is amazing. Meditation ,slow moving forms, Chi gung, kung fu sets that are very demanding physically, 900 kicks up and down the courtyard among other things is a normal day,makes the steps feel easy. when walking more than 7000 stairs to get to golden peak walkin diagonal and zig zag helps switch up the leg muscles being worked but then try carrying bags of rice tied off to a shoulder stick.

Taoist are not all vegetarian unless its a personal choice like it being hot summer weather and your not very hungry. Diet changes due to external weather and internal condition of the body. The diet is too complex compared to the built in failure of western diet fads because diet changes all the time. If it is warm eat cooling foods, if it is cold eat warming foods. if its warm and you have dampness eat warming foods, if it is cold and you have internal heat eat cooling foods, talk about constant contradictions. Diet would take up pages and internal awareness of ones own intelligent body.

• Like 2

The ideal condition for cardio exercise is to have the heart pump more blood without increasing the rate of heartbeats. It is better not to cause the heart to beat faster while exercising and still has the highest efficiency. To my knowledge, any fast movement of the body will cause the heart to beat faster which is an undesirable for the heart. Modern doctors thought to exercise the heart is by increasing its rate a little bit faster will be ideal for the heart. However, it will make the heart to work a little more harder than normal. To me, making the heart to work even just a little bit harder is not ideal for the heart. The ideal condition is to make the heart beats slower and pumps more blood at one complete heartbeat cycle.

You haven't heard of running meditation? :ph34r:

Also, I noticed no one mentioned yoga. Particularly if you are having bowel movement issues, I would recommend some running and yoga. Really helps loosen things up. Then just stand over the toilet in horse stance, I guess. *shrug* Prolly not, actually. Cheeks might be too tight for that to work . . . this may call for some experimentation . . . :lol:

• Like 1

Grettings 4bsolute. Here is one of my blog posts that somewhat addresses this.

http://qigongamerica.blogspot.com/2010/08/internal-external-energetics-program.html

The rebounding is a great cardio and cellular stimulation exercise. I also get a pretty good workout from the Gift of Tao movements. I think a well rounded combination is the best: internal-movement-rebounding-mild weights-Qigong running.

• Like 3

There comes a time when a man must come back to the world of the living and tell the world about the power of horse stance

Are you believer that horse stance is CARDIO exercise?

No, I believe it's a way of life

While breathing deep down to the LDT doing horse stance will providing lots of oxygen to keep the heart beat. Of course, a way of life is by maintaining the heart healthy and strong.

No, I believe it's a way of life

But how does it relate to this thread?

While breathing deep down to the LDT doing horse stance will providing lots of oxygen to keep the heart beat. Of course, a way of life is by maintaining the heart healthy and strong.

In horse stance i breath deep and slow. Can you do this while doing cardio exercise? My heart beat is normal but in cardio it should go up. The idea of cardio is to increase heart beat and pump the blood, no?

But how does it relate to this thread?

This thread has a severe lack of horse stance and without the horse stance in the thread, there will be less horse stance done.

Since horse stance is supposed to be painful most people don't want to do it regularly, but if there are reminders of the horse stance on the way, the people will remember and do the horse stance that they are supposed to be doing.

If the horse stance is done in groups of people and there are posters of horse stance on the walls, people will look and feel that they should be doing the horse stance. That is creating the horse stance environment, but on the internet you cannot see people doing the horse stance and so by reminding them about the horse stance online, there will be more horse stance.

• Like 5

If you do HS like this guy

horse+stance.jpg

It will be cardio until you master the stance.

Then, you can try another extreme posture. Maybe on one leg.

As I said in a previous post, there are two ways of doing HS: medical and martial.

• Like 1