silent thunder

Morning Ritual?

I'm curious to find out what some of you do first thing upon waking in the morning?

One of my great curiousities about my human experience is the play between various states of consciousness. Lucid dreaming is something I engage in regularly and recently I'm trying to incorporate more discipline to my dream experiences rather than just enjoying and playing.

But that is a precursor to my question.

The transition between states of consciousness fascinates me. Especially the transition from sleeping awareness to the waking state. Those first few moments upon waking...

Usually, based on my ridiculous schedule in my early 20's and my habit of setting my alarm clock to the last possible moment to get as much sleep as possible, I would leap out of bed at full speed and blaze out the door.

These days, I still often find myself mechanically 'hopping' up and getting right to action with what needs doing. For many years I paid no mind to how I woke up, I just got up and went about it.

Recently, one day I hopped up and looked in the mirror and stopped.

My heart was jumping and I asked myself 'what's the emergency? Why in such a hurry?'

Now I'm taking the first moments of the waking state, to just sit and observe... memories of dreams if there are any, listen to the sounds of morning and focus on my first conscious breaths.

I then get up slowly. Go out and squeeze the juice of a lemon into a cup of hot water and look out the window as I sip. I leave the lights off. I get up quite early on work days 3:45 or 4:00am.

After that I do some mild stretching and a few cycles of Tumo breathing. Then it's make lunch and head out to work.

I'm curious what others do upon waking?

I may be dooming myself but:
coffee. if it's not made, it's a morning ritual to have that first, freshly brewed cup.

Sadly, some days are day old coffee in a microwave... but i guess its ritual none the less; waste not want not.

Man I miss coffee!

When my wife makes her morning cup, like she is right now... I'll often grab it from her and stick my nose in it.

Such a blissful smell.

I cut out caffeine two years ago due to a heart issue and went to lemon water for its alkalizing properties.

I really appreciate it now, but that coffee smell always tugs at my heart.

• Like 2

Very cool DragonScholar.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of zhan zhuang, but I know I get great response in my standing work.

The Pillar of Light is one I use often, but haven't tried it in the morning.

I think I will, it sounds like a no brainer.

I start my morning with a glass of water along with a bit of Hatha Yoga.

My 2 cents, peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 1

maple.JPG

Upon rising: cleanse, dress

Face East - to see the new beginning in each moment
Face South - to sense the tenacity of life
Face West - to know the cycles of life and death
Face North - to receive the great mystery
Face East and Bow - to complete the circle in gratitude

Morning Tea

• Like 4

Hello,

I go to the gym and upon return to the house I do seating meditation for about 30 minutes. Then it's breakfast time.

• Like 2

As soon as I wake up, I keep my eyes closed and I practice moving my consciousness around my house with fantastic results...

Because upon waking, your body is already in a deeply relaxed state and your mind is still blank (like going into the Emptiness/Void), so practically any spiritual work at the moment of waking provides excellent progress!

• Like 2

Fart, pee, and laugh with higher beings. Best ritual ever.

How much "Training" does it take, to reach this Level ?

• Like 1

Somedays I awake totally uninspired and its a struggle to leave the sanctuary of my bed! Somedays I awake inspired and its a joy to leave my bed!

On awakening when inspired I have recently begun sending healing energy to various places around our troubled planet, and to people who I know who are suffering health problems.

I have a specific practise for Mother Earth and the animal kingdoms.

If I don't do it on awakening then its done at various times throughout the day or evening, time doesn't have any restrictions upon me - well it does when I have a medical appointment(and I have plenty of them!!!).

Then its two mugs of coffee! Later on I drink herbal teas, my favorites being chamomile, lemon and ginger and peppermint.

I meditate directly before going to sleep, and occasionally try to meditate during the day.

I lack personal discipline!

But, I am a more centered being since I began exploring my consciousness. I am practising being Love, and it is such a positive experience; and, when I screw up, I simply dust myself down and try again!

Namaste,

gentlewind

• Like 1

Agreed, when it's cold, wet & windy outside & you're in a nice warm comfy Bed with a memory foam mattress & pillows, with a thick fluffy duvet, it's sometimes a struggle to get up, get washed, dressed & go out. :blush:

Unfortunately my employers point blank refuse to pay me, unless I travel in to the Office every weekday ! :(

Also, my two dogs let me know that they'd like to go out first thing.

So, if I ignore their polite request, I've got no-one else to blame if they've left a mess on the kitchen floor, by the back door, because I've turned over & gone back to sleep :excl:

(Perhaps I'll fit a Dog-Flap in the Back Door, then they can go out, whenever the heck they like !!)

Once out of the warm, cosy House I'm fine & raring to get started on whatever tasks await me that day.

Edited by Basher
  • Like 2

Kinda like "Inertia"... You push against a Rock , harder & harder until you get it moving slowly...

then once it's rolling along, it's a lot easier to just keep it going.

(Poor example, but you know what I mean) ;)

Depends. If it's a working day, I keep things basic: I drink a cup of Chinese tea, get dressed, and eat some breakfast. If I have a little time, I try some simple qi gong (ba duan jin, not always the whole set) or baguazhang's single palm change.

I do standing or seating meditation only if I have more time; on a day off or if I'm not working too early. I think it's not so efficient if it lasts less than 20-30 minutes.

Edited by baiqi

Lay in bed, stretch, do joint rotations unless I really have to go to the bathroom, then I just get up. Shower, long and hot, let the water wash any bad stuff away,maybe will end cool water now that weather is getting warmer. It is energizing. But, coffee may always be my favorite energizer. I make it in a French press, black as night, sweet as sin. I do like to get up a little early have some time in the morning in a quiet house to wake up, once the kids get up it becomes more chaotic

• Like 1

good god i could drink a cup of your coffee!

edit: oh that's what's been missing all day! shit! quitting coffee isnt fun :lol: even though i barely qualify for "cutting back on" it :lol:

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

found some seated tai chi videos :D so I can add another activity to the morning ritual!

Ah, coffee. Often mused about removing it from my daily routine - and failed often! I enjoy, or rather my body enjoys the smell and taste of this wondrous concoction.

I look at clouds* a lot(has my daughter worried!), so thats another morning ritual I do! Soon be exhausted!

Namaste,

gentlewind

* I always check for signs of geo - engineering otherwise known as chemtrails. Been researching these poisonous streaks in our skies for years!

I also photograph the Sun. I look for anomalous objects! Once when photographing the clouds I caught a UFO!

Edited by gentlewind
  • Like 1

Yeah I kinda just sit and recite a core idea from the Tao Te Ching. Then embody that. By the time my feet hit the ground, I have probably sat aroiund in thought for some time.

• Like 1

I'd like to add that I lack discipline, but being a hippy what else would you expect !

After opening my eyes I send Love-Light-Healing to various parts of the world. Also people, animals too. Mother Earth also.

Even the Sun, Moon and Solar System. And all That Is.

All politicians are sent Love-Light-Healing and Empathy. As are all police and military.

If anyone would like to join a project of mine to join me in this, from the comfort of their own homes/or wherever they are please PM me. I've only begun this and have one other person on board. Thanks - even if you don't join !!!

I was encouraged to do this during one of meditations.

Namaste,

gentlewind

I'm curious to find out what some of you do first thing upon waking in the morning?

I'm curious what others do upon waking?

Mindfulness. Basically it's meditation for about 30 minutes. I start my day out like this.