Marblehead

Watching The Birds

Knee deep in bees ? I like the sound of that for some reason :)

Bees are one of my favorite things in life... I'm a bee freak.

We've had a hive in our eaves for a few seasons now.

Love watching them come and go as we hang out.

Some day I'll have a spot to set up a few hives...

• Like 1

been blessed to see plenty of bees this summer, and have some decent photos too. when I sort out how to post the photos I will!

also seen a few ladybirds which has been nice, and lately their has been an increase in butterflies.

we have two apple trees and observing how Mother Nature works has been, well, mind blowing!!!

I love Mother Nature - even the slugs n snails - as long as they leave my tomato plants alone!!!

• Like 2

One of the little finches from the bird bath flew inside yesterday and got trapped against the window so I carefully caught him and had a chance to check him out v. closley. Then I took him outside and opened my hand and he just sat there on it, so I manually had to put him on edge of the bath. He just sat there looking at me. I went to pick him up again but he flew off.

Afterwards my hands felt really smooth and slippery from his feathers. That was cool. I wanted to see if they would land on me ... nearly there.

• Like 4

One of the little finches from the bird bath flew inside yesterday and got trapped against the window so I carefully caught him and had a chance to check him out v. closley. Then I took him outside and opened my hand and he just sat there on it, so I manually had to put him on edge of the bath. He just sat there looking at me. I went to pick him up again but he flew off.

Afterwards my hands felt really smooth and slippery from his feathers. That was cool. I wanted to see if they would land on me ... nearly there.

Slippery?

Was it a penguin finch ?

:)

Slippery?

Was it a penguin finch ?

No ... but I got bitten by a penguin once. Nipped me on the leg while I was spearfishing .... cheeky little bugger!

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

Chase, our miniature toy terrier doesn't like the pigeons and barks furiously at them - they pay no attention to him though as they are bigger than him!!!

Entertaining though!

• Like 3

They look cute do penguins but en masse they stink so bad that your eyes water.

Thats probably why they took to the water years ago :)

• Like 3

No ... but I got bitten by a penguin once. Nipped me on the leg while I was spearfishing .... cheeky little bugger!

You tummo must be beyond equal !

To master the antarctic seas ! :)

• Like 3

There's penguins at Skegness.

53.1400° N, 0.3400° E

They stink.

More so in warm weather.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Yep, warm poop stinks more than does cold poop. And remember, all that poop is of the undigestable parts of fish.

Pigeon poop is bad stuff too; not the stink but the acid in it that will remove paint from a car faster than most man-made chemicals. Neither of my vehicles are parked under and power/cable lines so they don't get pooped on often.

i went by mom's and she always has many birds visiting her patio and yard, a bunch of finches, some bright yellow ones and many others. cardinals, bluejays, towhee and doves on the ground. she has like 3 different types of woodpecker. and some bird about the size of a wren tried to scare off a woodpecker and the woodpecker just looked at that bird, then looked behind himself, as if, surely you're talking to some other bird that way ? lol but the star of the day was a baby rabbit that had just come above ground maybe for one of its very first times. it wasnt hopping so much as it was jumping, boing boing' but the rabbit wasnt much bigger than a wren either. those ears were laid straight back.

• Like 1

I hope that your mom does not grow lettuce or other green saladings.

If she does then she'll need fencing to keep her crops safe.

Rabbits are greedy little critters and seldom travel alone.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

whatever greenery that little feller eats its worth the entertainment value. besides, i live in a lush vast natural wonderland where more grows naturally that could be consumed, let alone what some of us others may choose to grow in gardens, fields, out in the woods far away from the watchful eyes of law enforcement helicopters lol ummm nevermind that part. JK JK

we also have some woods hare that does like to travel alone and there was that raven waiting on me as i left town...if i thought i could grow a garden to attract these little dudes, i would put out their favorites just for them.

I am used to the brush turkey pecking the step at the front door when he thinks it is his breakfast time ... but today, when that didnt get a response, he came around to the glass door next to my bed and started knocking on that with his beak and staring at me :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I am used to the brush turkey pecking the step at the front door when he thinks it is his breakfast time ... but today, when that didnt get a response, he came around to the glass door next to my bed and started knocking on that with his beak and staring at me :rolleyes:

that is freaking awesome!

You tummo must be beyond equal !

To master the antarctic seas ! :)

All up and down the coast here. Had a friend when I was young that had a pet one that used to go fishing off the local wharf with us, we would feed him the undersized (no point throwing them back, he would just go in after them and eat them anyway .... boy could that little fella eat ... I swear ! More in bulk then his own ! Where did it all go ? Must have had a tardis stomach!

he used to follow us around like a dog, and come out surfing too. The guy rescued him from being covered in oil and took months nursing him back. he wouldnt be released, always came back ... evcen far out to sea with a smack to send him on his way - back that night. Oh well ! Do what thou penguin wilt, I suppose.

Edited by Nungali

that is freaking awesome!

awesome to read about .... do you want to want borrow him ?

Warning ... if you have a skylight he will jump on the roof and glare at you through that.

probably still pissed that I didnt fix his broken toe ? ? ?

awesome to read about .... do you want to want borrow him ?

Warning ... if you have a skylight he will jump on the roof and glare at you through that.

probably still pissed that I didnt fix his broken toe ? ? ?

Nope, I'm good, my collection has included, wolf hounds, american water spaniels, samoyeds, german short hairs, black labs, 6 short hair cats and one long hair, two ferrets, (one a three legged albino), multiple fish and a couple of long lived hermit crabs...

though I'd love to add a duck, armadillo and whatever strange beast my wife posted on my facebook page yesterday that loved to have it's little armpits scratched...