Marblehead

Watching The Birds

Thanks for the translations, looking at the pictures they' re correct. I'm not good at birds names but I do like to watch them. The names are mostly what I learned from my mum... But I now find that with internet it's easy to find them and their names.

yesterday I saw two marsh harriers, swooping and swirling around each other, like the first flirtation prior to nestbuilding

https://www.google.nl/search?q=marsh+harrier.&client=ubuntu-browser&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=F1zfVLXaNITtaI6pgZgO&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1189&bih=918#imgdii=_&imgrc=vVzg2DZQ5W-PuM%253A%3BjAQmzyIJ1tFfEM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rspb.org.uk%252Fcommunity%252Fcfs-file.ashx%252F__key%252Fcommunityserver-blogs-components-weblogfiles%252F00-00-01-24-39%252F1321.Copy-of-Mins-30-apr-11-031a.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rspb.org.uk%252Fcommunity%252Fplacestovisit%252Fminsmere%252Fb%252Fminsmere-blog%252Farchive%252F2013%252F05%252F24%252Fmystery-of-the-male-marsh-harrier.aspx%3B2382%3B1932

Beautiful, but the swarm of sparrows at the feeder is fun too

• Like 1

Rare visitor from up north.

I have seen them down here this time of year before, but not for a few years.

He's back in the same cow paddock he always comes to  ... must be some nice tasty goodies in there.

Jabiru  

jabiru_2_big.jpg

• Like 3

I can't recall ever having seen a Jabiru.  (I see them on TV a lot.)

The Robins are still hanging around in my area.  They rarely stay here long.  They must have heard about the snow and cold up North and decided to delay their return.

I can't recall ever having seen a Jabiru.  (I see them on TV a lot.)

The Robins are still hanging around in my area.  They rarely stay here long.  They must have heard about the snow and cold up North and decided to delay their return.

we have true robins here, not just those fair weather types  :P

and blue jays have returned to my life.

a couple of weeks ago, on a fair day, in between wintry storms, i decided to take advantage of the weather and take a walk.

before i left the apartment i heard the crows all cacacawing kraih ca-kraing and i am certain the crow will never desert me.

but the blue jays had. what happened? idk, they were basically an ever present totem for much of my life,

but this past year they were scarcely around. i think they had left before the raven showed up, idk, anyways,

i walk from campus to richmond and as i approach the boundary, i hear the sweetest little chirp and i see across the street in a tree barren of leaves of course, a young blue jay. this was a very unusual sound from a jay bird. then he flies ahead of me and lights in a tree i am walking under, then he flies back across the street, lands in another tree that has 3 other blue jay and they "sing" up a ruckus, not the screeching Jay! Jay! sound at all, but a very sweet musical melody. 

just a few younger blue jays out and about and letting me know they had not forgotten about me.

they also want me to tell you that it is a bad rap they have about eating robin eggs, they do not do that. sure there may be a small criminal element,less than 1% who are deviant and eat robin eggs, but over 99% of them do not.

photo2.jpg

• Like 2

Nice your Jays made themselves visible to you.  I haven't seen mine around yet.  The pigeons are still here though.  Hehehe.

• Like 1

A buzzard just landed in a tree in front of me in the woods, and then was generous enough to let me watch it soar from tree to tree for a little while as I followed along.

If only the woods were big enough to get lost in...

• Like 1

Speaking of which, what do y'all think of that weasel riding the wood pecker? 

Ciao

• Like 1

Speaking of which, what do y'all think of that weasel riding the wood pecker? 

Ciao

What weasel riding what wood pecker.

If there is such a thing I know what is no the weasel's mind and the wood pecker is likely saying. "Oh!,Shit!"

Just google the two words, I think the pix are legit. Even if they arent ,its a darn admirable job of photoshopping. Folks spoofed the pix and those are really funny, but theres really a big quality difference.

I like the idea that funky stuff happens.

I picture myself, having taken such a shot, wanting to show folks this really cool photo, and noone giving me the benefit of a doubt.

Who the heck knows the liklihood ? Why the tremendous resistance at the idea that the guy is not bs ing?

Anyway , its a fun pic. As are the spoofs.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31711446

i think he was looking for a lunch special and ended up being taken for a ride

Thanks for the link.  Now I know what was being talked about.

The question is:  What was the weasel thinking?  I'm sure it wasn't thinking about going for a test flight.

Clouds, wall to wall and treetop tall No birding today, for Joe.

And likely cooler temps for you too.  Those clouds of yours are from this cold front that is on top of me right now.

Yeah, it cooled a bit. I dont mind that in the least. The clouds however,, thats just an obstacle I cant fix in photoshop. I cant complain vigorously though, I know a dude in the UK and all his pix are ALWAYS gray. Ill just goof around the house today , and get all flabby from the lack of exercise.

• Like 1

2 whip birds giving me a great show this morning. I was up the back of the yard where it turns into forest and they were about 10 metres away on a branch creating a great  chorus of echoing electronic type noises.

A handsome bird too ! 

Whipbirds.jpg

• Like 1

After the buzzard the other day I decided that I wanted to learn a bit more. I see lovely birds all the time, but often don't know what us humans refer to them as...so I paid special attention yesterday and today.

In the past few days I have been able to identify each of the following (most of these are, of course, not new to me!):

Gull

Pigeon

Magpie

Robin

Blackbird

Buzzard

Chiffchaff

I think, but am not sure, that I can identify:

Great Tit

Need to take my camera out tomorrow, and then based on photos perhaps some folk here will be able to help me identify a couple that I'm missing...?

• Like 3

here is one we dont get to see in my neck of the woods that thrived here, noisy flocks of thousands until they landed and became silent. the cherokee called them eastatoe the chickasaw kilenky, bluejays would seem quiet and meek compared to these colorful birds. i think i would have gotten along swell with them. i did include them in a short story i just finished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carolina_parakeet

• Like 2

After the buzzard the other day I decided that I wanted to learn a bit more. I see lovely birds all the time, but often don't know what us humans refer to them as...so I paid special attention yesterday and today.

In the past few days I have been able to identify each of the following (most of these are, of course, not new to me!):

Gull

Pigeon

Magpie

Robin

Blackbird

Buzzard

Chiffchaff

I think, but am not sure, that I can identify:

Great Tit

Need to take my camera out tomorrow, and then based on photos perhaps some folk here will be able to help me identify a couple that I'm missing...?

Are you allowed to post the Great tits ? I can give you an opinion. :)

• Like 1

If anyone does see some of those carolina parakeets please let me know. :-)

Theyre presumed extinct, last wild ones known in okeefenokee , but one never knows for sure, I was ebirding shorttailed hawks, and the paucity of sightings impressed me since they may fly right over orlando and never get noticed.

That goes for lots of species. Its odd.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 2