Marblehead

Watching The Birds

I was sitting out front this morning and saw my first of this year mated pair of Cardinals.  (I think they winter in Miami.)

• Like 1

Marbles, the Swallow-tail kites down here are magnificent!  I've never seen them before.  One flew directly over me yesterday and it about stopped my heart.  (Except for that nasty bit of information about the first hatched young eating its sibling when it hatches).

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

I was sitting out front this morning and saw my first of this year mated pair of Cardinals.  (I think they winter in Miami.)

and yet they seem to stay in Ohio as well.  The onliest good thing about winter in Ohio is seeing that beautiful red bird and his golden-red partner on a snow covered pine tree.  Seems so metaphoric, like the life force living forcefully under the seeming sleeping snow of winter.  Maybe we have a small group of cardinals because we keep feeding them regularly.  I'm actually a bit worried about our cardinal family this winter, seeing as we're down in Florida.  But I'm sure their bird-brains have figured out an alternative food source.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 2

Someone here in America, please tell me about this bird which sounds like my name. When I was in Ohio long time ago, someone told me my first name sounds like one of bird in America.....

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Has been very dry since last September,just a few sporadic downpours helped keep us in drinking water.The dam were we pump water for the garden is very low,pump only enough to fill larger buckets so we can water by hand.

Every evening,fill the bird bath after a hot day,then watch birds getting excited,they flutter very close by,as the water fills their bath,young willie wagtail pictured puts on a dramatised version of happy.

Edit,correction not willie wagtail.

Grey fantail.post-112539-0-47394300-1457905331_thumb.jpeg

Junco ? Any one of several species of birds habitating elevated ground, that folks have a hard time differentiating,,, and also some kind of reed I never heard of. .. From wikipedia,, Names are arbitrary though.

Yes Junco! People in America even said to me that I am ill bird since my family name was 'Azuma'sounds 'asthma'!Oh well I was a ill bird in America.What this bird looks like I wonder.....Never seen.Thank you.

Edited by Junko
  • Like 1

Look up Oregon Junco - if I recall, they're dark-hooded with reddish-brown on the bottom, and I think they prefer stream sides.  Pretty common in California, but I think I remember they were a little reclusive.  I think their habitat is bushes, predominately - shady, streamside areas.

Yes Junco! People in America even said to me that I am ill bird since my family name was 'Azuma'sounds 'asthma'!

To me,, it sounds like they wanted to talk with you ,  but didnt have anything intelligent to say, so It probably works out to be a compliment.   ;) Many of us Americans are socially clumsy....umm like myself.

Unlike Mh and Manitou ,who certainly have more grace. 

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1

Sure!They wanted to talk with me.But they knew my English was poor.I am Japanese. I went to America mostly to study English in a college in Ohio.Not only Junco bird, there are many more interesting birds in America.I remember one kind of bird which is singing quiet high pitch almost hole day!

Edited by Junko

I remember one kind of bird which is singing quiet high pitch almost hole day!

He was probably castrated.

• Like 1

Sure!They wanted to talk with me.But they knew my English was poor.I am Japanese. I went to America mostly to study English in a college in Ohio.Not only Junco bird, there are many more interesting birds in America.I remember one kind of bird which is singing quiet high pitch almost hole day!

Yeah , it would be nicer if they didn't make so much noise. 

There are about 10.000 different kinds of birds on this planet.I can't waste time for listenning such things.I am side of birds.

"Hatred never ceases by hatred;by love alone is it healed.This is the ancient and eternal law"

Oh, I should edit this to mention I dont actually think this is correct . Its flat out wrong. Sorry If I was confusing.

I just brought it up for consideration figuring it would be recognized.

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1