Marblehead

Watching The Birds

Yep, most species are very protective of their young.  Some will even put their own life in harm's way to protect them.

Currawongs eat tofu .  

Blackie, my feral pet one, usually comes for breakfast. I put some tofu on his plate rock and he gives me the weirdest look. Then pecks it, pecks it some more more, eats a bit and then gathers it all up in his beak and flys off with it - good enough to take home. 

I get these little micro-bats here, a clutch ( ? ...  a nestle of bats ?  ... a coffin {'coven' :) }  of bats ? )  lived in the wall for a while. Sometimes they fly around inside a bit, and at times land on the central pole in the cabin, if you are really slow and gentle you can pat them with the tip of the finger  :)

Vanderreemain-microbat.jpg

Here is a baby flying fox bat ... just for fun. 

Baby-Spec.jpg

so cute , thanks!

so the eggs of my blackbird have hatched, 5 tiny chicks need to be fed. We have a cold spring here. i see that mum keeps sitting on the nest when it's cold. As soon as the temperature rises both parents are feeding their kids. They bring the small earthworms, but seeing how small the chicks are... i really wonder how they can eat that...

Once a day I peek in the nest, it's a nice present for me.

haven't seen the neighbourcat the last days, hope she keeps away.

• Like 1

I was outside this morning and in flies a big, either crow or raven, and takes a place to sit and watch.  It took about 30 seconds and a cowbird, 1/5th it size, was all over that bird.  Very protective those cowbirds are.  The cow bird had chased the other totally out of our area within three minutes.

• Like 1

That must be an omen, cowbirds lay eggs in other birds nests ,for them to raise. Why should one chase a crow? Dunno,verry strange.

• Like 1

I "Thanked" you for asking me a question I have no answer for.

That thank you button, is the worst choice ! I dont know what the heck to think,, youre Welcome? :) Seriously, the ambiguous symbols wouldve been better. Edited by Stosh

Well, we could request a "Don't Like" button so that we could "Don't Like" the "Thank You" button.

If you had two mouses connected to your computer you could hit both buttons at the same time.  No additional time required.

could I like the don't like button?

You can do anything that is within your set of capabilities and capacities.  However, at the moment you do not have a "Like" or a "Don't Like" button so I guess you are SOL.

My computer cant respond to two mice simultaneously. Im SOL TOO! :(

Hey!, life is that way some times.  No matter how hard we try we can't get anything to go our way.

Yes I noticed that.

But then, life would likely get boring if everything we did was a total success.  I think we need the failures to remind us that we are nothing more than human animals.

• Like 1

Yes it would, not much of a consolation prize tho. Why the heck am I on here at this time in the morning? I have so many things I should be doing right now. Boy I am a lazy SOB.

• Like 1

Yes it would, not much of a consolation prize tho. Why the heck am I on here at this time in the morning? I have so many things I should be doing right now. Boy I am a lazy SOB.

SOB...eh..swell old boy?  :P

• Like 2

I did see my first Hummingbird of the season this morning at the trumpet flowers.  So glad to see them back.

That grey hybrid Goshawk is back ( or still around ) . I saw something swoop from a tree into the long grass out the back yard yesterday and then fly with something up into a tree.  I sneaked up on it, yep, that was him.

he flew off into a higher branch and watched me. I told him he was welcome to hunt, but he became suspicious and flew off.

I'd be quiet happy to share territory with him - hes a magnificent bird ! 

very much like this one, but a slate grey colour all over

ggoshwk_ch_80_big.jpg

At the moment there are masses of sulphur crested cockatoos  absolutely screaming their heads off !   They are probably coming in for the pecan nuts. 

• Like 4

Heaps of birds for 30 cents !

My parrot plants 

Parrot_Impatiens_niamniamensis_6839.jpg

have pretty much spread across the back of the cabin and around the outhouse.  Recently I decided to give them a dose of liquid Phosphorus ... just on a whim.  Considering the amount and price of bottle , about  30 cents worth.

Boy did that boost a blooming !  This morning it has attracted a scad of honeyeaters ... like this guy but bright chrome yellow markings with a deep olive colouring and a thinner longer curved beak (cant find a pic the same as  them ) ; 

Lewins_Honeyeater.jpg

• Like 2

Heaps of birds for 30 cents !

My parrot plants 

Parrot_Impatiens_niamniamensis_6839.jpg

have pretty much spread across the back of the cabin and around the outhouse.  Recently I decided to give them a dose of liquid Phosphorus ... just on a whim.  Considering the amount and price of bottle , about  30 cents worth.

Boy did that boost a blooming !  This morning it has attracted a scad of honeyeaters ... like this guy but bright chrome yellow markings with a deep olive colouring and a thinner longer curved beak (cant find a pic the same as  them ) ; 

Lewins_Honeyeater.jpg

Are these your own pics?