Marblehead

Watching The Birds

@gmp post #475 good chuckle.

@mh i didnt try and affect the outcome between the cat and crow, i was just walking about. i didnt say hey crow watch out for the cat. but i'll take the credit lol becoz crows never forget.

@silent thunder i enjoyed that piece as well from doyle, so much i shared it here

birds poems ufos,,,,yeah

• Like 2

@mh i didnt try and affect the outcome between the cat and crow, i was just walking about. i didnt say hey crow watch out for the cat. but i'll take the credit lol becoz crows never forget.

I was sure that was the case - I just wanted to mess with you. It's been a while, you know.

• Like 2

The Turkey has taken to more door knocks.

tap tap tap .... ignore him ... tap tap tap .... " Go away!" ... Tap tap tap tap TAP! ... :rolleyes:

He is the only person that bothers to knock ... the others just come in or call out vocally.

Right now he has decided to 'nest' on the planter box on the front porch, after continually jumping on the solar power leads and batteries and making a kerfuffle.

I am contemplating nabbing him and putting him in a cardboard box and taking him to the WIRES vet ... his foot is now very crippled and I think that could be why he is hanging around (and why I am feeding him, it must be hard to scratch up food standing on one leg ! ) . I looked at him this morning on my way to the loo and asked if he wanted to go to the vet and he came over and stood next to me (last time I asked he ran away) .... soooo .

(This has been going on ever since my daydream about the little UFO / walking robot thingo crashing in the front yard and breaking one of its legs and me having to fix it. )

I guess I am going to have make some phone calls, get him in a box somehow and we will go for a drive.

australian%20brush-turkey%2004.jpg

And if a bird can speak, who once was a dinosaur,
and a dog can dream; should it be implausible
that a man might supervise
the construction of light?
- King Krimson.
  • Like 2

Quab ... Quab ... what's that?

My breakfast companion currawong has a habit of sitting on the ladder leaning on the wall next to the window near the bed, he can get right next to my head (outside the window) and stare at me waiting for me to finish early morning internet time and get down to the business of todays breakfast.

But today there are two sitting there. TWO ! ? Where did you come from. Hmmm ... just looked behind me ... make that 3 !

Its a bit hard to write when just over your shoulder ;

currawong1.jpg

Some idiot probably put yesterday's home made left-over sushi outside :rolleyes:

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

on wednesday at the the campus plaza where the smokers openly defy the recent tobacco free campus ploicy,

a rather large, in fact much larger than i have ever seen falcon came by for a few minutes visit. i knew we had some peregrines around campus. one student excitedly said look at that hawk, another said it is a raptor , and a third said a hawk is a raptor,

it was no kestrel thats for sure, and when i found our visiting falcon's resemblance on google it was a brown falcon but how could that be, the brown falcons are in australia. this was one majestic bird

I have no Falcons in my area as far as I know. There are sparrowhawks. They do look a little similar to some species of Falcons.

Today the only birds I saw out front were the regular sparrows (& finches & wrens, whatever they are) and pigeons. A couple days ago I saw what looked like a female Bluejay but I'm not sure, might have been a Catbird (Greyjay).

@ mom's, where she has about 6 bird feeders of different types, and also gives corn for the chipmunk and doves, squirrels frequent also, and 4 different types of woodpeckers, every color finch, cardinals, bluejays, mockingbirds, etc, and also notice the robins did go south this year, the past 2 they stayed up here, a hawk hung out the other day for his meal to fly in,

but today, it was speckled underneath and looked like a small pheasant, but the tail feather not long enuff to be a pheasant,

and had a red ring on his head. never seen one of those b4 also had a black band above breast and a long straight beak

best guess at the moment is it was a Yellow Shafted Flicker

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

This afternoon out with the dogs I watched a lone seagull attacking what looked to be a kestrel.

It kept swooping down on the kestrel and screaming at it.

The kestrel didn't seem too bothered and just kept soaring out of the way.

Not seen that before.

There are rabbits in the sand dunes so I expect the kestrel was after those.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

The kestrel could probably rip the gull's head off if it took the notion.

But gulls are opportunists so it may have thought the kestrel already had some food and wanted to share.

• Like 2

mom told me this morning the yellow shafted flicker and a large red headed woodpecker were "sword fightin" with their peckers. the flicker is a larger bird than the woodpecker, and we also have the 'little" red headed woodpeckers visiting too,

i mean beaks of course, and it was the woodpecker who left, i have never seen any bird mess with a woodpecker before, those "peckers" are serious equipment. also many silent crows moving about and posted up, not sure whats up with that. but i have returned to campus apartment, and over the past 2 weeks of eating like a horse without regard to consequences, i actually lost 4 pounds!! lol

classes resume on the 20th, and my roommate returns this evening sometime, she gave me a little warning , she may have added a pound or two, lots of cobblers, fudge, etc and it is serious fasting time now, we'll see haha

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

We are blessed to have many birds visit our garden, my favorite is the Robin who is becoming accustomed to my presence in the garden, and watches me from a close distance as I add more bird feed to the feeders. Its a delight to know that he is watching me!

My wife also had a lovely experience as a bird kept coming to the window and knocking at the glass!

• Like 1

I had a visitor a couple days ago, about the size of a Jay but brown upper and a pretty yellow throat and belly.

The sparrows, wrens and finches, whatever the heck they are watch me when I put food in the feeder and most times as soon as I turn my back and start walking away they mob the feeder.

I just looked out into the gardens and saw a small flock of Robins. Probably about a doxen between my yard and my neighbor's yard. Likely a family group headed back up north. Robins are not residents here.

A white Heron in the meadow, there very rare here and soo beautiful.

Like a white spirit descending

Great! I see lots of them around my area. Egrets too. I even had a Blue Heron come to my fish pond and have lunch before I got the pond area totally closed in. Blue Herons are protected here in Florida.

• Like 1

Great! I see lots of them around my area. Egrets too. I even had a Blue Heron come to my fish pond and have lunch before I got the pond area totally closed in. Blue Herons are protected here in Florida.

English is difficult...there are two kinds of white herons, a smaller and a bigger one with a very large beak. I saw the smaller one, what is it's name? The bigger one is even more rare here. Holland is small and very overpopulated, so I'm happy that I live in a spot where there is some nature to be enjoyed.

Blue herons are very abundant here, but since I found a way to keep them out of my pond I can like them again. I mean, a fishpond is kind of a restaurant for them. There protected here too.

Well, I just learned something new. I looked to see if I could identify your two kinds of white herons. No luck however I found out that what I call an Egret is actually one of about 60 species of herons.

Yes, I am aware that your homeland is very populated. Yes, over-populated with humans.

I too live in an area that is close to wildlife areas, and swamps, so I get to see wildlife often.

Yep. Lots of birds there.

That on caught itself a bunny rabbit. I hope it wasn't the Easter Bunny.

And yes, I noticed you did your search in German (or whatever).

Thanks for sharing.

Looks like the little one is Little egret, Egretta garzetta , ... Big white one is Great egret, Ardea alba.

It surprised me how many of the Netherlands birds are the same species as down here in Florida.

( the big grey-blue one is likely Grey heron , which is very similar to our Great blue heron. )

( Cattle egret has the orange breast and stubby bill)

Nice photos.

You aren't familiar with Jaegers , are you, by any chance?

Edited by Stosh
  • Like 1