Sign in to follow this  
ChiDragon

A Matter of Respect.

I try to respect everybody's opinion, beliefs, system, training. :wub:

I might not agree with all or any of it, but who's to say that mine is more valid, functional or important. :huh:

My take is it doesn't have to be gained. It's there to start with.

One can learn from "respect" to respect others and their opinion, beliefs, system, training. It's there to start with. Thus we'll learn from the people and their personalities to see why they think that way or behave such way. Even though we might not agree with all or any of it, but there was nothing that we should be getting upset about. Regardless, no matter we like it or not, at least we did learn something new. It gives us a chance to see things in another way.

I believe a Taoist would look at it this way as part of the Taoist cultivation.

Edited by ChiDragon

To what extent do you respect an individual...???

As much as he/she respects me

A sense of balance: Receiving before giving....!!!

How does receiving before giving promote a sense of balance? Sounds very selfish to me.

Mother to baby -- first, you stop crying, then i will feed you. Definitely not balanced.

Would a reciprocal approach be a better one? In my small opinion, i would say that respect and openness go hand in hand. Those who are free have no use for respect, and yet, they seem to end up getting the most of it.

Maybe i did not get the exact meaning of your conveyance. If thats the case, pardon please.

• Like 1

How does receiving before giving promote a sense of balance? Sounds very selfish to me.

Mother to baby -- first, you stop crying, then i will feed you. Definitely not balanced.

Would a reciprocal approach be a better one? In my small opinion, i would say that respect and openness go hand in hand. Those who are free have no use for respect, and yet, they seem to end up getting the most of it.

Maybe i did not get the exact meaning of your conveyance. If thats the case, pardon please.

Yes, you are right in that regard. If you follow the whole thread, then you will see that each individual has different idea. Each post will reflect the personality of the poster. Sometimes, I was only responding to the post above without quoting anyone as a matter of respect.

Thanks...!!! :)

Edited by ChiDragon

One can learn from "respect" to respect others and their opinion, beliefs, system, training. It's there to start with. Thus we'll learn from the people and their personalities to see why they think that way or behave such way. Even though we might not agree with all or any of it, but there was nothing that we should be getting upset about. Regardless, no matter we like it or not, at least we did learn something new. It gives us a chance to see things in another way.

I believe a Taoist would look at it this way as part of the Taoist cultivation.

I dont feel the need to respect the opinions of people who have opinions that I consider to be muddled, misguided, poorly accrued.

I can respect the person, but opinions are ten a penny.

• Like 1

Ideally I say love in unconditional aka respect.

One can easily disagree with an opinion or action or behaviour or misguided perception without viewing the person as different.

When people respect some based on certain things more and some less this can encourage bad attitudes. Deep down someone is the same person whether or not they have misguided thoughts which lead to misguided feelings and actions.

I never agree that people should be put on pedestals.

However what Im saying is very idealistic and an open/loving heart is more powerful than any analytical thoughts from a blocked one.

• Like 1

sinansencer,

Respect is bound up in hierarchies and assignations of class but it is also a humble appreciation of admirable skill and worthy actions. We can love unconditionally when we notice when people do things that require a lot from them.

Ideally I say love in unconditional aka respect.

One can easily disagree with an opinion or action or behaviour or misguided perception without viewing the person as different.

However what Im saying is very idealistic and an open/loving heart is more powerful than any analytical thoughts from a blocked one.

Yes, to me, "respect" does mean to respect the mentality of a person and all. Thus I had learned not to expect more than what a person can offer.

Edited by ChiDragon

Conditional respect is good and ok.

But excessive focus on such things to me is pride.

Not respecting someone to me comes from not loving them.

When one loves others unconditionally/heart is open, one will view their actions (even the most hated person) in terms of the actions of a family member or loved pet. I do not think of not respecting my family members. Just their decisions.

I may place some emphasis on good qualities but ultimately in judging others by their "worthy/unworthy" qualities, skills, this ends up coming back to me and in my own self love and how I would love myself.

So I think focusing on Unconditional love is important as it means such questions/contemplation will seem meaningless to some degree.

"Act with virtue to those who are deserving, also and equally, act with virtue to those who are not." HHC from memory :-)

I try my best to act with respect to all, regardless of weather they "deserve it"

"Act with virtue to those who are deserving, also and equally, act with virtue to those who are not." HHC from memory :-)

I try my best to act with respect to all, regardless of weather they "deserve it"

An admirable goal. I am still stuck in offering respect to those who "I" think deserve respect. (Yeah, I am still the center of my universe. Hehehe.)

If your instructors are really good, then it would be self explanatory. It there really a need to defend them....???

Chi Dragon,

Some Instructors are more interested in getting on with their own Training & Teaching, rather than responding to Internet Gossip or those Slandering their Reputations for their own (dubious) ends.

It's all too easy for some no-account nobody to anonymously insult or fault those they are probably jealous of !!!

It's even easier to do this to somebody who is dead & who therefore cannot respond via the Net.

Why can't we simply revere any / all of the worthy acheivers / Grandmasters etc from all schools / styles.

And put our efforts into advancing our own knowledge / skill & trying to help others acheive more.

Rather than "bashing" anyone that doesn't meet our own individual criteria for "greatness".

Put a bunch of Crabs in a Bucket of Water & start boiling it & each of the Crabs will (individually) try to climb out.

But they'll also try to grab hold of & climb over any crab that's higher than them.

End result, all of the crabs will boil to death.

Respect to All

Basher

Sign in to follow this