Flolfolil

Say something completely undisputable

1st lecture in Philosophy 101 spent 1hour discussing the statement "The sky is blue if, & only if, the sky is blue". I never forgot it. And I never went back :P

Profound wisdom. Helps practicing the skill of only perceiving what is there and not adding anything to it.

Gravity sucks!

Gravity... stay the hell away from me!

Quite right too.. it's actually a 'Full Bent Briar'

The intended message of that picture is this: It's not a pipe. It's a picture of a pipe.

i freaking KNEW someone was going type a period in this thread before i even created it. so i counter with this:

;

Let people have their period.

• Like 1

except when it is in the air or the lakes

Since raining is a process, "mainly" has to be taken as including time, so even if it's raining, the rain in Spain MAINLY stays in the plain.

Let me add something cynical:

If you asked the average US American to say something completely indisputable, you might hear something like: "Obama is the icon of a new era."

Edited by Owledge

Let me add something cynical:

If you asked the average US American to say something completely indisputable, you might hear something like: "Obama is the icon of a new era."

you obviously don't live in america lol

you obviously don't live in america lol

Well, duh! Obviously not. My avatar column says "Location:Germany", Sherlock! :P

America is geographically 27.5 times the size of Germany, and has almost four times the population at over 300M people. It is silly to generalize about Americans in the same way it would be silly to generalize about Europeans. You will be wrong probably more often than you are right.

I caught you in a delicious hypocrisy there. You say people shouldn't generalize about Americans, that it's as silly as generalizing about Europeans would be, yet your numbers aren't those of America, but of the USA. You're doing EXACTLY that which you're calling silly in your posting.

Edited by Owledge

A difference in term used to describe the country I live in that is a common usage in that country has nothing to do with hypocrisy. If you believe otherwise then you fail at language and comprehension of the concept of hypocrisy. Go troll someone else. :lol:

So if it were so-called common to equal Germans with the word "Europeans", using the latter when meaning the former, that would not be hypocritical?

Common usage doesn't equal wise or logical or non-hypocritical.

It's common knowledge in Germany that skinheads are neonazis. It's a false assumption, but it's common.

The term "America" referring to the USA is a generalization based on the USA's arrogant nationalism. I was pointing out that deeply ingrained higher-level generalization. Language shapes thought and thought shapes language. People complaining about easily visible things often overlook similar less visible things. You were talking about geography, which demands even more to call it "USA" if you want to be correct, since America is a continent.

Question: Which is bigger? America or America?

One would have to respond with another question: You mean the continent vs. the country?

But if you are that specific... there is not country "America".

Also, "USA" is much shorter than "America", so why, with rampant writing-laziness everywhere, use an incorrect and confusing longer word instead of a shorter word? ... Because national pride shapes language, because "We are the greatest nation in the world" is more important than proper language.

It's like an animal rights activist who wears a fur and when pointed out saying: "It's already dead. It's totally different."

BTW who do you think came up with the idea to call humankind "mankind"? Who equaled "man" (species) with "man" (gender), hm? Same thing. Male-dominant society/religion spinning language in their favor.

Edited by Owledge

Troll sage: When you get so smart and witty that your trolling is looked up to as a model of courtesy and well behaved interactions.

Then, that only works when someone thinks a genuinely upstanding member of the community is actually a troll :D

now i will say something completely indisputable, undisputable, and nondisputable.

if you talk long enough on the internet, it turns into an argument!

i didn't think i had one in me, but if you dispute it, you've proved me right! HA ftw

• Like 4

now i will say something completely indisputable, undisputable, and nondisputable.

if you talk long enough on the internet, it turns into an argument!

i didn't think i had one in me, but if you dispute it, you've proved me right! HA ftw

It's like that law about discussion eventually having the mentioning of a certain historical persona. It's not saying anything. In infinity, everything will occur with a likeliness of more than zero, so since the whole thesis is based on an open timeframe, it becomes stating the abvious. And since many talks on the internet aren't that long, many don't turn into an argument.

dude you jsut fucking blew my mind, and to honor that mind blowing experience, i will talk about it for a long enough time that it becoems an argument.....

No, wait, i wont.

WHOOPS I JSUT ARGUED WITH MYSELF!!!

WOW!! That was fast!