i drink 1 pot < of coffee a day, eat cream of wheat most mornings, starve myself one day out of every week (cuz im a picky eater, but still drinking coffee), and dont generally concern myself with what i do eat... be it potato chips, cake, pie, or a turkey dinner.

I can eat more than i do; I dont usually eat more than what i am physically craving.

Right now:

Cream of wheat made by boiling milk with a dash of allspice and 3 dashes of cinnamon, Nutella (choclate hazelnut spread) mixed in with the powdery remainders of my frosted shreded wheat cereal and cooked for about 5 minutes.

Its downright filling!

Oh yeah, and a cup of black coffee... damn good coffee.

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

I've heard about cold drinks before, but never really tried abstaining from them for an extended period.

Think I might try that, especially with meals. See if it improves my digestion.

Now you guys have gone and made me hungry! Curses!

Overall, my diet leaves me feeling happy, well-fed, and with enough energy to chase down a mobile infant already getting into cabinets and drawers before he can crawl.

Most of what I serve the family is homemade. Many of my sauces are homemade too. It was a necessary step when I kept forgetting to pick them up at the grocery store. We go through a lot of canned goods. Hopefully this summer we can grow a garden now that we're finally back in the country.

I drink milk for breakfast, water during the day, and I might have a glass or two of soda throughout the week or the occasional glass of juice. Breakfast may be toast, eggs, bacon, ham, sausage, biscuits, gravy, cereal, oatmeal, or pancakes. Lately it's been either oatmeal or a scrambled egg and ham sandwich. Supper will likely be a soup, chili, casserole, pasta dish with a high chance of salad served, pizza, or be a single meat with 2-4 sides, like salmon, chicken breast, or a beef patty with bread, peas, beans, potatoes, rice, corn, macaroni and cheese, or jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese. Lunch and late-night snacks are usually a sandwich or some fruit.

Pickled, spicy peppers like cayenne or jalapeno are a rare treat!

I've had sorta-vegetarian meals. My grandparents and my husbands' were farmers. They rarely had meat and it was usually a chicken, or a community hog, if they did. So they don't serve much meat to this day. Lots of fruit, veggies, and bread. Vegetarians certainly have my respect to eat no meat and yet feel full at the end of a meal. My stomach can be full to bursting after the same meal and I'd still feel just as hungry before as after.

I avoid cold things because of sensitive oral surgery scars, caffeine because of a thyroid-induced heart problem, careful with sugar and carbs because of a blood sugar drop if I eat too much of it and because my husband is a diabetic (juvenile version), and I like high-calorie stuff because I have a high metabolism. I stayed underweight for years and I'm barely in the "healthy" range.

My diet is pretty average as I find it hard to find healthy things to eat at work, but about a year ago I went on a Shamanic Dieta for three weeks in the Amazon which involved no sugar, salt, meat, oil or flavourings of any kind, so it was pretty basic food. After a few weeks of this I felt great, I was drinking purifying plants also but I felt so clean and healthy, but within two weeks of my normal routine I had gone back to my poor diet even though I know its no good for me. What seemed to shock my body most coming back was the amount of oil in things, I was almost sick when I had my first tortilla.

For purification though for Shamanic work if you want to connect with the spirit world the most important thing to cut out is salt and pork, the problem is though that I started getting leg cramps a bit but salt is meant to be the thing which is really blocking a lot of your perception, which might be a good thing for many people I suppose but not so good if you are at the stage of trying to open up.

Jetsun, do you know of any books that talk about the Shamanic Dieta you have mentioned ? Would be really interested to find out more about it.

Some Hindu traditions , especially Yogic paths practise no salt diet too .

• Like 1

Couple of weeks ago, we went to a pub which served great carvery lunches.

Happen to sit next to woman who was dining on her own.

Her food arrived just as we began to order ours.

I was watching, being always professionally curious as to what people love eating.

There was a glass of red wine, a glass of water, and a basket of bread rolls.

Soup started her off. Then an egg mayo salad. Cleaned the two.

She ate with zeal.

Main course, fish and chips. Large plate. Sour cream or blue cheese dip on the side. Cleaned the plate.

Dessert followed... chocolate brownie and ice-cream. By this time, there was a second glass of wine on the table.

Finished with a pot of coffee. And another glass of wine...

She looked as if she could eat more if she wanted to. But there was a glazed look on her face, as like someone who just had a fix. In a way, she did.

I was/am not being mean in my observation. Actually felt a bit sad. Its as if she was seeking comfort from some deep hurt somewhere, or attempting to compensate for some lack.

This encounter heightened an awareness of my own eating pattern and attitude towards food.

I thanked her silently for the lesson.

Back on topic. I have a fairly rudimentary approach when it comes to food, personally. Simple works best for me, even though i chef in a professional capacity. Steaming and slow-cooking is my thing. Tend to avoid foods which need lots of chewing. I like meat which is so soft that it melts in the mouth - this way, there is no pressure on the digestive system. To keep it remembering to function optimally, i eat plenty of organic greens. Chinese vegetables are delicious.

I love seafood, especially crab, prawns and scallops. Soup noodles with seafood, tofu and seaweed, topped with loads of coriander or thai basil, is, mmmm... yumm!! A fav way to prep prawns and crabmeat for me is to blend them finely with plenty of coriander, kaffir lime leaves, ginger and lemongrass, work them into a patty with a bit of sesame seeds, fish sauce, white pepper, corn flour and egg-yolk, and then shallow-frying for a couple of minutes. Serve with a cucumber, pineapple and chili salad. Works very well. Sometimes i mash the blend with a block of organic tofu (for shallow frying, same method) which is so so delectable.

For me, the best way to celebrate life is thru the enjoyment of food, and having friends around to share in this joyous affair is so gratifying.

Work-wise, very broad acceptance towards all kinds of food, loves tasting bits here and there, and i enjoy combining different ingredients, herbs and spices just to keep trying to get 'new' ideas for the kitchen.

Used to love alcoholic beverages in my younger days. Not now though. The body loss the need naturally over the years. I still have the odd beer, glass of wine, or a shot of coffee liqueur once in a blue moon (maybe 3 times a year, something like that). Last time i had a glass (which is half a pint) of Guinness was the 12th of December last year, at a staff Christmas party. It was so nice, the drink, and the awareness that that was the one and only glass for me that night made every sip divinely sweet. My next one-glass adventure could be in April, or not. We shall see...

:)

• Like 1

Jetsun, do you know of any books that talk about the Shamanic Dieta you have mentioned ? Would be really interested to find out more about it.

Some Hindu traditions , especially Yogic paths practise no salt diet too .

I'm not sure about books but there are a number of articles online about it, a few you can find here http://forums.ayahuasca.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7851

The diet of no salt is more for plant based Shamanism like Ayahuasca, I'm not sure if it would have as much affect on more regular spiritual work like meditation, but it would be a good experiment.

I'm not sure about books but there are a number of articles online about it, a few you can find here http://forums.ayahuasca.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7851

The diet of no salt is more for plant based Shamanism like Ayahuasca, I'm not sure if it would have as much affect on more regular spiritual work like meditation, but it would be a good experiment.

Great thanks , I will read that link just now.

I have been salt free for longer periods of time (10 months in one go longest ) and can only speak from personal expirience -- it does make a difference . Salt is IMO a plesaruble irritant for a body.

Great thanks , I will read that link just now.

I have been salt free for longer periods of time (10 months in one go longest ) and can only speak from personal expirience -- it does make a difference . Salt is IMO a plesaruble irritant for a body.

Wow 10 months is a long time to go without, I slightly worry about cramp and such things which are meant to be due to electrolytes but I might try it some time. I saw a video about a guy who did a dieta in the rainforest for a few weeks and he said that by the end his senses were so much more open and acute that he could hear people approach from a great distance and perceive a great deal more which he attributed to not having salt; which might not be ideal if you are living in a big city but if you are in retreat or in peaceful surroundings it might be good.

Paleo/Primal Blueprint. Never felt better, had more energy or been more vital then now.

Edited by Shagrath

Wow 10 months is a long time to go without, I slightly worry about cramp and such things which are meant to be due to electrolytes but I might try it some time. I saw a video about a guy who did a dieta in the rainforest for a few weeks and he said that by the end his senses were so much more open and acute that he could hear people approach from a great distance and perceive a great deal more which he attributed to not having salt; which might not be ideal if you are living in a big city but if you are in retreat or in peaceful surroundings it might be good.

I have just read that thread you have posted -- it is super interesting !

Yes you are right , no salt and simpler /cleaner diets do that , they open up the senses plus intuition and it could be difficult to suddenly have that appear as everyday way of being when living in city.

However , any challenges in life can be turned into a passionate love affair , this makes life worth living.

• Like 1

One thing that always worries me when I see these discussions is how often people take a temporary therapeutic (or spiritual) dietary intervention designed toward a specific purpose and useful under certain conditions only, and then extrapolate its benefits to regular daily nutrition. The "one diet fits all" ideas may have been planted in everybody's unconscious by the establishment whose "pyramid" is supposed to be what "everybody" "at all times" is going to benefit from. Many deviate from the "pyramid," but few walk away from it -- they seem to just replace it with a pyramid of a different design...

Diets are to be customized to bodies, lifestyles, states of health/unhealth, nutritional histories, nutritional goals, age, gender, different periods in the life of the same person, to say nothing about different persons. No man in his right mind will assume that the diet which facilitates fast and healthy growth and development, steady dramatic increase of muscle strength and brain size, and steady acquisition of new motor skills on a daily basis is to consist exclusively of human breast milk -- but that's exactly the perfect diet for his infant son which accomplishes all of the above and more. Yet so many people seem to believe that a perfect diet may be found that is perfect once and for all...

• Like 5

Love seaweed too. Roughly follow blood type diet for type A (mostly vegetarian, limited dairy), sort of old diet with no proven scientific basis, but this guy is spot on for me down to what kind of beans are fine and which ones make me feel tired and bloated and what juice is good in the morning vs. giving me a sour stomach. I do vary it seasonally and eat more meat if am training a lot. Really enjoying the thread and getting some good insights. I do think TTBs are way ahead of general population (including me) in thinking and understanding the role of the food we eat. The other day my neighbor was talking about how they are having a difficult time adapting to trying "meatless Mondays" and I was torn between thinking ok good for her for trying and seriously, so many good things to eat besides meat how can one day a week be seen as difficult!

Love seaweed too. Roughly follow blood type diet for type A (mostly vegetarian, limited dairy), sort of old diet with no proven scientific basis, but this guy is spot on for me down to what kind of beans are fine and which ones make me feel tired and bloated and what juice is good in the morning vs. giving me a sour stomach. I do vary it seasonally and eat more meat if am training a lot. Really enjoying the thread and getting some good insights. I do think TTBs are way ahead of general population (including me) in thinking and understanding the role of the food we eat. The other day my neighbor was talking about how they are having a difficult time adapting to trying "meatless Mondays" and I was torn between thinking ok good for her for trying and seriously, so many good things to eat besides meat how can one day a week be seen as difficult!

Just came across this news article, and thought you might want to read it, about the Sardinian siblings and minestrone soup, which they attribute to their long and healthy life.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sardinian-siblings-credit-minestrone-soup-for-world-record-age-2012-8

• Like 1

Has there ever been a recipe thread on TTB? I'll bet people around here make some great healthy (and not so healthy) food.

My typical, staple meal for lunch and dinner is:

Low temp fried deer, onion garlic carrot celery (with the leaves), and any other veggie on hand that sounds good, plus brown rice. All mixed together.

Didn't get a deer this year, so my current favorite, in front of me right now, is:

Quinoa, simmered about 20 minutes. Somewhere between 10 and15 minutes, add chopped...everything. Right on top, no stirring. What was in my fridge, and sounded good, was garlic, green onion, celery, carrot, beet greens, bok choy. Then when it's been 20 and the quinoa is done and veggies are steamed, add braggs liquid aminos for salt and flavor, some pepper, and some turmeric. Lately to this I've been adding kale, sautéed separately with garlic & onion, then added to the rest of it. The fact that its fried gives it all a different flavor, instead of just all steamed veggies.

That was Sunday nights dinner, and Monday & Wednesdays lunch. Really simple, with the most processed thing being the braggs. This type grain-veggie mix is probably 80% of my diet. Meat mixed in when I have it. Always way more than I'm going to eat that night, so I can have it for leftovers for lunch, instead of ending up grabbing something on the town since I'm busy at work.

Edited by i am

Has there ever been a recipe thread on TTB? I'll bet people around here make some great healthy (and not so healthy) food.

i tried to start one but it never took off

i remember i had just invented ground lamb and eggs over kim chee and i wanted to spread the news!! lol

My typical, staple meal for lunch and dinner is:

Low temp fried deer, onion garlic carrot celery (with the leaves), and any other veggie on hand that sounds good, plus brown rice. All mixed together.

Didn't get a deer this year, so my current favorite, in front of me right now, is:

Quinoa, simmered about 20 minutes. Somewhere between 10 and15 minutes, add chopped...everything. Right on top, no stirring. What was in my fridge, and sounded good, was garlic, green onion, celery, carrot, beet greens, bok choy. Then when it's been 20 and the quinoa is done and veggies are steamed, add braggs liquid aminos for salt and flavor, some pepper, and some turmeric. Lately to this I've been adding kale, sautéed separately with garlic & onion, then added to the rest of it. The fact that its fried gives it all a different flavor, instead of just all steamed veggies.

That was Sunday nights dinner, and Monday & Wednesdays lunch. Really simple, with the most processed thing being the braggs. This type grain-veggie mix is probably 80% of my diet. Meat mixed in when I have it. Always way more than I'm going to eat that night, so I can have it for leftovers for lunch, instead of ending up grabbing something on the town since I'm busy at work.

Fried deer?!? really?