well i have looked into it already, but i cannot find any websites with creative recipes. i want to do it realistically, not plunge myself into limitation

Gas mask works

I go by intuition, and tend towards moderation. All "this is healthy, this is unhealthy" advice is bullshit. The body knows if you would just shut up and listen.

• Like 1

I go by intuition, and tend towards moderation. All "this is healthy, this is unhealthy" advice is bullshit. The body knows if you would just shut up and listen.

I dunno, I think there are some things that are pretty unhealthy, and some things that are pretty healthy, but in general I agree with you.

I'm getting better at listening to what my body likes and doesn't like (which is why I quit the sodas).

Yeh this yogi/enlightened-ish person told me that it is best to eat spontaneously, do what you feel like, eat little but when you feel like and what you feel like. Kind of difficult to eat a certain way if you are used to junk food better slow and steady.

I think this is true but to some degree innaccurate first times I fasted I would crave sugar have it and feel like crap, also a lot of people really do feel like having "unhealthy" food is it wise to say that is whats best for them.

Also you sound a bit aggressive, lol

Some further thoughts/realisations thought I would share in this thread 3 months ago in september/october I would have porridge with water/soya beans with mixed seeds/nuts, honey and some small fruit inside for breakfast maybe a bit of fruit juice.

Whereas the last three months it was just fruit juice smoothie.

I remember how eating fruit for breakfast was considered a good idea, but I find maybe the porridge etc added some power and oomph into my day that im not feeling as much subtly..

I think it's only good advice for people who are very sensitive to what their body is telling them. I don't buy all what scientists say about how we evolved, but we absolutely crave calories in any form, especially condensed form. Like sugar, fat. Some of eating healthy is retraining your body to learn that it is not in danger of starvation, so it can stop wanting to cram as many calories as possible wheneven it gets the chance, in case there's famine coming.

A lot of times my body is not giving me good advice. Maybe more your spirit? I think I agree with you, it's just your use of "body". I agree that if we listen, we can tell what our bodies are actually deficient in. But most people will always crave sugar and fat and carbs, and I can almost garuantee that most people aren't lacking in those categories. At least not all the people I work with who just can't leave the donuts alone :)

I guess my point is that, like everything, it's more complicated than that. If you tell your average person to listen to their intiution about what to eat, they are going to go from unhealthy to really unhealthy, quickly.

I guess my point is that, like everything, it's more complicated than that. If you tell your average person to listen to their intiution about what to eat, they are going to go from unhealthy to really unhealthy, quickly.

Well, my opinion is that there's no such thing as healthy or unhealthy.

If a person eats a Snickers bar, at the right time in the right amount...that's actually a billion times healthier for them than eating a bunch of spinach at the wrong time.

indian food is my trophological exception too

other than that, yes i have a chart on my fridge and eat according to daoist food combination rules. it makes a big difference, noticable in how i feel and also the smell of my poo

also gluten free, 90% organic, primarily veggie but eat fish and a little chicken lamb or goat now and then. As much local as i can.

diet make a huge difference in how i feel, think, act, etc... so i do the best i can (except when i go out for indian!)

• Like 1

Well, my opinion is that there's no such thing as healthy or unhealthy.

If a person eats a Snickers bar, at the right time in the right amount...that's actually a billion times healthier for them than eating a bunch of spinach at the wrong time.

This opinion has some validity I guess..

I sort of agree, but it comes down to really being sensitive to your body. More sensitive than I am, that's for sure. I agree that badly timed spinach might not be good for you. But I can't agree that a snickers would ever be good for you. Well...some quick blood sugar boost along with some fat is probably what you need. Snickers provides that, but in a much less healthy way than some fruit and nuts, which would serve the same purpose. So I see your point. But refined sugar ain't so good.

There's an idea Ive heard about ethnic diet being important. In other words, whatever your ethnic heritage is (unless like most of us it's pretty mixed, I guess...), that historic diet is what you'll do the best on. So if you came out of a hunter gatherer background, and are trying to go vegetarian or vegan, and eating processed foods, you won't do so well. Etc.

Personally, I do good on meat. Good quality, lean meat. I don't think I'd feel as good if I were vegetarian.

There's also something to the idea that your body does good with foods its used to. Constantly changing your diet messes with your digestion. Eating within the season is ok, which is a varied diet...but eating indian one day, english the next, asian day three, typical american fare day four, etc, is rough on your system.

We could talk about this for days and probably be right where we started. Complex issue. But I always love hearing what other people have for a diet, since people on this site aren't your "typical" eaters. Where I live, I know a lot of people who are eating pretty "healthy". But their understanding of what "eating healthy" is, is very shallow. They're doing way better than the typical american, but they don't really understand.

A good friend of mine was "bragging" (not in a douch-y way) about his healthy eating. His breakfast: yogurt with agave nectar and granola. Not plain yogurt, either. That would be WAY too much sugar for me. Agave nectar is sugar. Sure probably better than corn syrup, but sugar. Granola is sugar, lots of it. I don't worry about fat. Yogurt, even plain, has a good amount of sugar. Honestly I'd like to see a comparison between his "healthy" breakfast, and a sugar cereal with milk. He's on the right track...but missing the point. The less I eat sugar the more sensitive I am to it. For me, his breakfast would have been as sweet as eating a donut.

I do agree that the more "natural" the ingredient, the better. I don't worry much about fats, sugars and the like if they're from good, natural, unprocessed sources. But still...only so much of each is good for you, no matter where it came from.

Is "diet" soda better than regular soda? I don't think so. I'd rather the sugar than the chemicals they used to make it diet. I love seeing the 250lb, 5'8" guy/gal walking out of the 7-11 with a 32oz diet coke. Cause it's good for you...and they're on a "diet". But I'm sure we all agree on that one.

Edited by i am

yeah i usually drink local kombucha too ;) but today i didnt feel like driving to the store and i was at whole foods anyway so it was GT daves gingerberry (our local has to be sold as a beer its alcohol content is too high for the FDA lol)

i feel noticably better eating local organic meats yes. in fact its about all i eat, except for example when i was at the indian restaraunt ;) the other day and had some chicken.. i can't feel immediately the growth hormones and antibiotics and crap in factory farm chicken, except mildly on some occaisions of eating too much.. but i almost always have a reaction later when i brush the back of my tongue, that i expell air (like a yogic burb, i dunno what they are called sorry). I have read in books on yoga and fasting that making yourself burp air is a way of getting bad energy out of the body, and that you actually won't burp if you don't have bad energy. Most times i can't make myself burp, but if i have had dirty meat, i will almost always burp up some air. So that might sound really weird and unscientific, but there is a definite correlation tested over time. I doubt that it is coincidence, but i leave everyone to come to their own conclusions about it.

if i eat dirty meats over a course of a couple days, i definitely feel it in my body, a physical sluggishness of feeling crappy and tired. Its tough in the winter when my body craves more meat and i find myself eating out instead of driving the considerable distance back home once im in the city (hence my chicken at indian buffet the other day).. but in the spring through fall i am mostly veg, so no biggie.

never tried eating seasonal local to the fullest extent, but as i buy lots from farmers markets and food co-op from local farmers, i end up eating that way a lot anyway. but never made a practice out of it..

anyways yes i notice the difference more with local organic meats than with veggies, but that stands to reason.

Edited by konchog uma

Edited by sinansencer

I try to eat locally and seasonally. I don't eat animal products (meat, dairy, honey) unless I physically buy it myself from the farm. I definitely can't feel the difference physically vs store bought, but that's more just to support family farms and animal welfare. One thing I try to keep in mind how food affects the spleen. In Chinese Medicine, from my understanding, the spleen turns the food you eat into chi. The spleen hates cold and dampness. I try to never eat or drink anything cold, and avoid processed foods, too much sugar, and anything greasy, as these all create dampness and weaken the spleen. Most people know that processed foods and greasy foods are unhealthy, but the avoidance of cold food and drinks was a strange concept to me when I first learned about it, but after trying it I noticed a higher metabolism and better digestion. At first its awkward to drink warm water or tea with a meal, but after you get used to it you will never go back to drinking cold drinks again, especially with food.

I can't stand cold water. I've always liked room temperature water, but after getting more into Chinese culture and trying out warm and even hot water, I'm going more and more that direction. Even the water sitting in my filter/pitcher on the counter top is too cold, in the winter.

South Indians will not drink really cold water and anything with ice in it they regard with horror.

I was constantly being told off for enjoying my bottled water from the fridge

The only thing I drink cold is beer. And even that, not ice cold.

It's tough to find a cold beverage in China. You'll find bottled water in a sliding glass door "cooler", but I don't think they turn the cooler on...

• Like 1