3bob

demonic mantra

Specifically metal? Or can we b*tch about the transformation of rap into a vehicle for sexism and violence as well:-)?

I quit listening to gangsta rap because it got too sexist.

Metal can be cathartic (I guess any music can). I used to listen to what was called 'grunge' and found it reflected my situation quite well.

If I start on LOA I won't stop b3tching. If there's obvious 'do-gooding' going on, there's going to be something awful along with it (per ramming dogmatic chorals down an innocent's throat).

Here's a song I like, which is not metal exactly

I used to really listen to old school gangster rap and authentic gangster rap which exists in non american places ok maybe america a little bit too, I found the extreme honesty, self expression and self acceptance very refreshing as well as assertiveness, In a way its what I needed to listen to, to grow I think, I liked that energy, nowadays If i listen to some tupac or gangster rap after say doing qigong, I will feel like I am king of the world/warrior of ten thousand men, in a way this is cool but yeh not so cool too. The messages in gangster rap are quite obvious values given are machoness, indifference, criminal mentality, blaming others, poverty, rebellion etc, Im sure much of this music is used as a brainwashing tool by business people eg prisons for profit etc, although I have enjoyed some stuff that talks about darker stuff freely or social inequalities quote from the Iching "You can tell a lot about a person by who they value" ...same thing with pop music values handed down

• Like 1

Good points Turtle but missing key parts, for instance a beginner boxer does not go up against a professional and have an automatic chance of prevailing. (or as you mention trans-muting...) the same applies in spiritual and mental warfare if not more so! The Golden/White Being stands fully prepared to deal with the devious or outright malice of the dark masters and other creatures of the pit, whereas children do not and most of us are very young children indeed when it comes to dealing with such forces!

(Buddhists such as you mention may well have many lifetimes of special preparation for such spiritual war)

Edited by 3bob

the sword of truth is irresistable

but the sword of youth is persistent.

Every generations shocks the previous one with its musical tastes or does it best trying. As I recall the city Chicago banned trumpets because they played the music of the devil- jazz :o . I've seen the rise and fall of punk rock, popcorn bad rock (like Kiss), rap, gangsta rap, hip hop, etc., Art is about emotion and good artists push against convention into new territory. Anger and rebellion are a natural stage for most teens, it comes with the territory of exploring boundaries and bursting hormones.

Still 3bob has a point, music may hit us deeper then we assume.

I'll add K. has a great point- metal, teen angst stuff like Green Day is greatly cathartic, sometimes its just the right medicine for the mood.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I agree about good artists. Not necessarily with the munchkin production machine. Yes I know Motown is a great example of a production label that just kept churning it out. Do we get to complain about MTV and album covers as well?

You are not old K.

I remember the old Home Service musical broadcasts on the wireless.

My how those long dark winter evenings just sped past to the foot tappin' rhythms of Joe Loss and his Orchestra and the Swingle Singers with their 'Sing Something Simple' close harmony stylings each and every Sunday evening.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Yes I remember Sing Something Simple too. Not my choice but it has a tea and biscuits kind of vibe, even today.

Now our wireless had accumulator batteries that I had to carry to the bicycle shop and exchange for charged up ones when they went flat as we did not have the electricity until 1958.

When it did come to our village my grandad said...

"Well it's alright but it'll not catch on round here".

He was wrong, we got our first TV in 1959. End of an era that was.

Old is a state of mind.

I try to act my shoe-size and as a leap year baby, I have only had 15 real birthdays so far.

Edited by GrandmasterP

That sort of music has a lot of power and anger, they are parts of life, those people who are afraid of it are usually afraid of their own power and anger and there is nothing spiritual about that, although some people will try to convince you otherwise. Hate is different, if the music is cultivating hate then it won't lead anywhere good, but power and anger are not hate.

• Like 1

I'm an ilf:-)

I had a great uncle Wilf.

Wilfred Moorhouse Dyson.

He was a champion runner in his day.

Edited by GrandmasterP

When people are sad, they don't watch happy movies because they can't get in the mood, and so they watch sad movies

Angry music became anger output and people who listen to it are more emotionally balanced then people who don't listen to it at all