Seeker of Wisdom

Chundi mantra

Recommended Posts

Wow, what an epic thread!

 

I'm interested in the "mythological" or symbolic aspects of Cundi. What does she, as a "figure," really represent in metaphysical terms? I have read everything I could find about Cundi in English (which isn't much) and, while there is quite a lot about the practice (as in this thread) I have found very little about who/what Cundi is supposed to be, though it's not difficult to speculate.

 

The Sutra doesn't mention her at all, just the dharani. The dharani mentions her name but the "namah" is directed to "saptanam samyaksambodhi kotinam tadyatha" (the millions of  Buddhas). Bill Bodri seems pretty consistently to refer to Cundi as "him" and even says somewhere that Cundi is actually "male." The Tibetans seem to consider Cundi to be a mother of a certain Buddha family (Lotus?) Some masters, and even many folks on a popular level, have considered Cundi an emanation of Kannon/Avalokitesvara (as in Japan).

 

As I said, I'm interested in the deep symbolism here. Master Nan Huai Chin mentions that she is "a Boddhisattva, the Great Buddha Mother, source or origin of the Dharmas (this is in "Grass Mountain," in the glossary under "Chung-T'i.") Is there a sense in which Cundi can be considered analogous to Shakti, the "power" of Shiva?--or better, from a Buddhist iconographical perspective, a form of Prajnaparamita (hence Emptiness/Wisdom itself--perhaps somewhat analogous to Sophia in the Gnostic tradition?)

 

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than me about this fascinating aspect of Cundi 🙏

Edited by Radix
Grammar, punctuation
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just discovered this thread - rather late, I know. I noticed that the first post includes an image showing two versions of the accompanying mudra (hand seal) for the Maha Cundi Dharani practice. One person said that the first version was not the appropriate one, and having tried both albeit briefly, my instincts tell me that this assumption is probably correct, because the first version simply immediately did not feel right. 
I wondered whether any of you have actually tried combining the first mudra with the Maha Cundi Dharani practice, and if so can you confirm whether there were any negative effects?

I would also like to know the source of these images, because I am understandably wary of certain information disseminated on the Internet, since disinformation and misinformation abounds these days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 7:28 AM, DSCB57 said:

I just discovered this thread - rather late, I know. I noticed that the first post includes an image showing two versions of the accompanying mudra (hand seal) for the Maha Cundi Dharani practice. One person said that the first version was not the appropriate one, and having tried both albeit briefly, my instincts tell me that this assumption is probably correct, because the first version simply immediately did not feel right. 
I wondered whether any of you have actually tried combining the first mudra with the Maha Cundi Dharani practice, and if so can you confirm whether there were any negative effects?

I would also like to know the source of these images, because I am understandably wary of certain information disseminated on the Internet, since disinformation and misinformation abounds these days. 

 

I've never done the mudras yet this mantra affects me more profoundly than any other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dmattwads said:

 

I've never done the mudras yet this mantra affects me more profoundly than any other.

 

I was in conversation with a senior Tibetan teacher recently, and this subject about difficulties with the Cundi Buddha practice came up. He said its not a common Tibetan Vajrayana practice, and tends to appeal more to Chinese practitioners in parts of Asia. He also mentioned that an empowerment is vital for the practice to proceed with no hindrances. Maybe thats something to look into. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since I have a lot of time to experiment with various mantras I think I'm finding that is zhunti mantra and probably nam-myoho-renge-kyo are my go-to mantras for the corona situation, in the economic since especially.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am very hesitant to do this mantra because of its very strong purging properties but last week I did it again for the first time and maybe a year and OMG that was not fun LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've been doing this mantra again lately and I've always experienced a wide range of effects but it seems like lately after I do it I get extremely tired and fall asleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, dmattwads said:

I am very hesitant to do this mantra because of its very strong purging properties...

 

 

I find the more powerful something is, the stronger the purging. Purging by way of liberating past karmic energy. It's not fun but if one uses skillful means to diffuse it it can be very beneficial.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

 

 

I find the more powerful something is, the stronger the purging. Purging by way of liberating past karmic energy. It's not fun but if one uses skillful means to diffuse it it can be very beneficial.  

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2020 at 7:18 AM, C T said:

 

I was in conversation with a senior Tibetan teacher recently, and this subject about difficulties with the Cundi Buddha practice came up. He said its not a common Tibetan Vajrayana practice, and tends to appeal more to Chinese practitioners in parts of Asia. He also mentioned that an empowerment is vital for the practice to proceed with no hindrances. Maybe thats something to look into. 

 

CT,

 

 

I know this comes from that teacher so it is not you that I object to.

The Vajrayana standard thing to hide behind is to say that all things mantra need an empowerment. However, this is not true and not supported by sutras  and experience of other branches.

 

Also, keep in mind that there are things regarding cultivation that they have no idea about. There are members here that have had incredible hardship from serious kundalini manifestations, and when they asked for help from Tibetan lamas, these teachers were dumbfounded.

 

For a certain practice, trust the associated lineage. I do. That's why I don't go to my Tibetan Vajrayana teachers for advice on things related to Zhunti.

 

 

M

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites