Seeker of Wisdom

Chundi mantra

I believe that even if you can solve all of your life problems with a magic spell from the Middle Age, the power to do so is still in your own mind and not anywhere else. 

8 hours ago, Cheshire Cat said:

I believe that even if you can solve all of your life problems with a magic spell from the Middle Age, the power to do so is still in your own mind and not anywhere else. 

Yes definitely! No one can help the self-victimizing.

But there is certainly some sort of "outside" influence and help via aka nirmanakaya manifestation when uttering the specific mantra of a specific being. It might even be able to penetrate whatever wall of self-pity and evil one shrouds oneself with...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, megamorphg said:

Thanks, I have various recordings of it being pronounced that way. Here is a link to my folder, not sure if I shared it before:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhD4wIhahXFSg7YxufxI28XtmzCVRA

Can you record yourself pronounce it and share?

I don't think I'm going to learn sanskirt anytime soon lol

Also are you sure about the last line? Is it not "ohm zhurli zhule zhunti soha"? 

Megamorphg:
No need to learn sanskrit, but nailing the pronunciation once and for all is helpful.

>Is it not "ohm zhurli zhule zhunti soha"? 

That is the Chinese language transliteration. Which is fine if you use that version.

M

On 27/06/2018 at 9:37 PM, JustARandomPanda said:

I wanted to pop in and add something to this thread.

I think I now understand a little bit why the Cundi mantra is so powerful. Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev says the yoga tradition teaches there are 16 overarching aspects of Mind. The deepest, most powerful and most subtle is the aspect right before one reaches Nirvana like a Buddha (or since he's Shaivite, Shiva).

He said when this aspect of one's mind is awakened its as if all of life and life energies within and without arranges itself according to one's wishes. He said without one's self even asking the Divine for 'this or that' [insert Desire here] - Life will seemingly simply arrange itself so it manifests. He said before you ever ask for it - it will already be so - (from this talk came my understanding: Cundi is that aspect of Awakened Mind that is the All-Wishes Fulfilled Jewel - interestingly I've heard the name Siddhartha translated into English also means "all wishes fulfilled"). Sadhguru says Everything...inner and outer begins to manifest great good fortune when this final and most subtle part of your mind is finally awake and functioning. It is this Mind - the deepest and most subtle (right before it crosses over into Shiva/Buddhahood) - that has the 32 Major marks and 80 minor ones. The level of good fortune this kind of Awakened Mind creates is astounding in its auspiciousness.

Of course this talk implies there are other methods for awakening this deepest and most auspicious aspect of Mind. It's just that the Cundi mantra targets this part of Mind directly like a guided missile. That's its goal and aim. This is why Cundi is known as the Mother of Buddhas for 7 Kotis. Beyond Cundi (in Hindu teachings at least) one finally crosses into the realm of Shiva (masculine). In Buddhism, beyond Cundi is Nirvana like the Buddha's Parinirvana.

Because of Sadhguru's talk about it I now understand why Bill Bodri (and thus Master Nan Hua-Chin since Bodri got it from Master Nan) said this one mantra is beyond comprehension in its ability to confer vast good fortune - to the point of making even really horrible karma not be nearly so bad while its working itself out as it otherwise would have been. Not to mention the vast good fortune on tap via one's fully Awakened Mind (ok, may take some folks 800,000 single-pointed repetitions to get fully Awakened Mind on tap but at least it's possible).

Excellent !

This correlates with the teachings of Nondual Saiva Tantra. 

Not wishing to veer off topic, I'm currently reading a book entitled "Tantra Illuminated" by Christopher Wallis. I'm about a third of the way into it and the crossover between NST and Buddhism is mentioned heavily.

Posted (edited)

Wow, what an epic thread!

I'm interested in the "mythological" or symbolic aspects of Cundi. What does she, as a "figure," really represent in metaphysical terms? I have read everything I could find about Cundi in English (which isn't much) and, while there is quite a lot about the practice (as in this thread) I have found very little about who/what Cundi is supposed to be, though it's not difficult to speculate.

The Sutra doesn't mention her at all, just the dharani. The dharani mentions her name but the "namah" is directed to "saptanam samyaksambodhi kotinam tadyatha" (the millions of  Buddhas). Bill Bodri seems pretty consistently to refer to Cundi as "him" and even says somewhere that Cundi is actually "male." The Tibetans seem to consider Cundi to be a mother of a certain Buddha family (Lotus?) Some masters, and even many folks on a popular level, have considered Cundi an emanation of Kannon/Avalokitesvara (as in Japan).

As I said, I'm interested in the deep symbolism here. Master Nan Huai Chin mentions that she is "a Boddhisattva, the Great Buddha Mother, source or origin of the Dharmas (this is in "Grass Mountain," in the glossary under "Chung-T'i.") Is there a sense in which Cundi can be considered analogous to Shakti, the "power" of Shiva?--or better, from a Buddhist iconographical perspective, a form of Prajnaparamita (hence Emptiness/Wisdom itself--perhaps somewhat analogous to Sophia in the Gnostic tradition?)

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has more knowledge than me¬†about this fascinating aspect of Cundi ūüôŹ

Edited by Radix
Grammar, punctuation
  • Like 1