Seeker of Wisdom

Chundi mantra

I've started using the zhunti mantra.

"NAMO SAPTANAM SAMYAKSAMBUDDHA KOTINAM. TADYATHA: OM! CALE, CULE, CUNDI SVAHA!"

So far I'm seeing some effect in my heart and 3rd eye chakras, this mantra is good stuff.

Bill Bodri says:

this mantra's workings are so powerful and its effects so refined that it functions on a level beyond comprehension... this mantra will help your karma be worked out in such a way that it's not so damaging in terms of long term repercussions...

At the supramundane level, the Zhunti mantra is the chief mantra recited by those who wish to attain enlightenment in this lifetime. The reason for its popularity in cultivation is that it is one of two mantras capable of opening up a practitioner's heart chakra.

This mantra thus enables an individual to quickly realize the great prajna transcendental wisdom, which explains its great effectiveness. Therefore it is even sanctioned in the Zen school, which typically abstains from depending upon any external cultivation crutches other than directly looking into the true nature of the mind.

Is there anyone here who's recited this for a while - if so, what is your personal experience?

Edited by Seeker of Tao
  • Like 1

Yes, it's powerful. I hesitate to speak about my own experiences. Needless to say, choose your intention wisely. You can mantra for all kinds of stuff, but to recite millions of repetitions for nicer legs, or good chocolate, is a shame : D

Good luck SotS!

Mandrake

• Like 3

Will be interesting to see what other people say. I've been using it for the last week, and I can't say much. Too early to tell.

I don't know, but I'm having a hard time wiping the smile off my face right now. Lol!

Maybe that's why Master Nan was always smiling. All that meditation stuff.

I went to the bathroom like six hours ago to find that I was just smiling away, and I've been smiling ever since!

I'm usually not the smiling type because it always seemed to take more effort to smile than frown, but right now it seems like it would take a collossal amount of effort to frown. I'd have to fake it.

When I concentrate on the mantra, I can feel it making me smile again. Lololololololololololololol. I'm having a blast with this mantra!

Anyway, just thought I'd post a quick field report. Back to my meditation!

Edited by Subtle
  • Like 1

I should add, especially if others may take up the practice:

People come with various conditions: amount of debris in channels differs, the health of channels, the entanglements between mind and the world, the latent impulses deep in the psyche and so on - they all differ.

Some people will start to feel the effect of the mantra quite soon; other people with a lot of gunk may have to recite some million repetitions before things suddenly clear up, they feel activity in their qimai, their fortune changing etc. The important thing is to not give up! Things are happening even though you may not actually perceive it. The specific signs associated with this mantra may come sooner or later.

I also suggest having some formal sitting sessions with the mantra even though you may recite it internally throughout the day. Other principles apply: do not tense (especially your chest), do not modify your breathing, relax, do not space out, have some vividness of the sound, let go of everything else etc.

Try to recite with some compassionate intention, and always, always, let joy well forth (do not hold and cling to tense and negative feelings).

Hope this helps.

Mandrake

This practice is great. I can really feel it beginning to clear up the heart. It fits in nicely with my anapana and other practices, helping to train the mind to be focused and clear outside sitting meditation. Also, I can do it all day long.

I look forward to seeing what this mantra does once you get into millions of repetitions. :D

The specific signs associated with this mantra may come sooner or later.

Please, can you speak about the specific signs associated with this mantra?

Thank you! :-)

Master Nan leads 45 minute recitation of the Zhunti Mantra:

Edited by Dainin
  • Like 7

I'm here occasionally. If people send me an PM, I get a notice; otherwise, not.

Some of the signs you can read about in the sutra. You can find it online if you search for Cundi Dharani Sutra. They are the relevant ones, and the signs that I am comfortable discussing online. Physically, if you get your energies to start working big time on the heart chakra - don't stop since there is momentum that will be lost; you will have to build it up again.

Don't expect big things to kick in after only 500 000 repetitions. People's karmas vary, but in general our modern generations have more to deal with.

Mandrake

I imagine there are no signs...

• Like 1

Thank you for the informations on this mantra.

I've found the cunti dharani sutra and it looks like the famous yogic texts about mantram and magical power.

Edited by DAO rain TAO

I've been performing this for a little over a year-- but not as my sole practice. It was the first mantra I've ever been compelled to pursue and it has become a bridge in terms of cultivating mindfulness between sessions of my core alchemical work (kunlun).

Couldn't begin to say how many times I've performed the mantra... Never bothered to keep track. I fill up "empty" time with silent recitation day in and day out. My conservative estimate is around 700-1000 recitations a day, but who knows... Jappa practice requires a great deal of patience (IMO) , and I'm in no rush.

I have had dreams connected with this practice (and those are mine), but none so auspicious as the white vomit. (yet)

In terms of the stimulation of the heart through this practice (and I *don't* make use of the mudra) , I find my other practices are more vigorous in this regard.... but the pursuit of this mantra satisfies something deep all the same. I personally enjoy the marriage of both mantra and neigung in my work.

I agree with whats already been said--- that the intent should be pure.. but there are plenty that feel making use of deeper spiritual work for power/material/temporal-gain is legitimate as well. I have my own practice and it's not for me to say what's proper and improper. Our paths are our own.

best.

balance.

IMG_5769.jpg

Edited by balance.
  • Like 4

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm really skeptic about this practice: it seems just like a prayer to an exotic deity.

It's like changing Jesus for Buddha, one name for another...and the substance is the same.

DAO:

I don't want to tread too deeply into conceptual territory, because in the end, it's practice that matters..

*but* ... "Oneness" aside, mantras are all different. The phonetics/acoustics stimulate different parts of the body and connect you with entities that also have different energetic-qualities. I believe Bodri said mantras were like having an energetic phone number-- a way to contact a specific entity. Jenny Lamb says mantras can be used for purification/karma-reduction/healing/self-awakening (the stories about her pursuit of the Amitabha mantra are really illuminating) . Master Nan said only a high-level Bodhisattva could explain why mantras were so powerful.

...... in my understanding, mantra's are not necessarily just tools of worship, but ways in which we can connect and merge with those beings that attract us, and then enjoy the benefits of that relationship. Over time, it seems that those qualities that attracted you in the first place come more and more naturally to you--- you become more and more like the entity you're casting your awareness out to. But IMO, it takes great patience/sincerity/purity in your intent.

best.

balance.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 3

I cannot prove to myself that bodhisattvas have some relations with my spiritual path.

As well as I cannot prove to myself that some Jesus Christs may save humanity...

Sometimes I pray the Gods that I can understand, but it's not for enlightenment.

As far as I'm concerned, if there is this Zhunti person and I am connecting to her through this mantra, that's great. But so far I have no evidence it's true, so I'm assuming it's not until I do.

HOWEVER, is this mantra practice helping stabilise my mind? Yes. Is focusing on a virtuous aim, along with a name which reminds me of what I wish to be, helping me be more virtuous and determined to progress? Yes. Is it affecting my heart chakra, somehow? Yes.

I agree with the need for scepticism! Blind faith makes no sense to me at all. I believe things on experience and logic.

Edited by Seeker of the Self
  • Like 1

As far as I'm concerned, if there is this Zhunti person and I am connecting to her through this mantra, that's great. But so far I have no evidence it's true, so I'm assuming it's not until I do.

For me, it's not about the existence of a Zhunti Buddha somewhere. I cannot prove that she doesn't exist either.

If she exist and I can make a contact through this mantra, how could I believe that she will bring me to enlightenment?

The whole bodhisattva story, their vows, etc... This makes little sense to me. No, it's totally non-sense to me.

Why don't the bodhisattvas reveal themselves to humanity so that we know the true dharma?

Why doesn't Jesus simply appear in a tangible way to humanity to show us the true religion?

Those questions share the same answer, imho.

HOWEVER, is this mantra practice helping stabilise my mind? Yes. Is focusing on a virtuous aim, along with a name which reminds me of what I wish to be, helping me be more virtuous and determined to progress? Yes. Is it affecting my heart chakra, somehow? Yes.

Also christian mantras can stabilize your mind, cultivate virtue and affect any area which you concentrate upon.

In addition, many christian mystics saw angels, talked with Jesus and performed miracles.

But, I cannot accept that Jesus Christ is the only son of an almighty God,etc...

Edited by DAO rain TAO

DAO:

This is exactly the sort of discussion I'm not interested in having.

The decision to practice (with sincerity/diligence/patience) or not to practice is entirely up to you-- but don't just sit on the fence debating the thing forever.

(but know, that if you take your practices far enough, you'll have the direct-experience you need to answer these questions for yourself. There is so much we don't see and don't experience because we are closed to them. Good practices will open you up.)

best.

balance.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 1

DAO:

This is exactly the sort of discussion I'm not interested in having.

The decision to practice (with sincerity/diligence/patience) or not to practice is entirely up to you-- but don't just sit on the fence debating the thing forever.

(but know, that if you take your practices far enough, you'll have the direct-experience you need to answer these questions for yourself. There is so much we don't see and don't experience because we are closed to them. Good practices will open you up.)

best.

balance.

Although there is some wisdom in your words, your attitude is in the domain of religiosity and not of spirituality.
There are hundreds of relative experiences, they are all true (christians, buddhists..even atheists).
But there is just one absolute experience we may have, that it's totally independent from ourselves.

Mantras are a language of function in the universe. No Buddha would want a cultivator to worship him as many fidn to worship Jesus, God, etc; but if that mannerism makes the individual be a better person, its fine. Its just not the only way.

Also, Mantras, when spoken with sincerity (applied concentration and non wavering focus), and with holding to the cnoditions of its function (holding precepts, abiding by the manner inwhich it can function), a response will be met. Sometimes our own past conditions with such Buddhas and Bodhisattvas may be strong enough now that having not taken refuge, or holding precepts, we will still get a clear response. All in all, that doesn't mean going further isn't necessary. :-)

Zhunti Mantra:

Ji Shou Gui Yi,

Su Xi Di,

Tou Mian Ding Li,

Qi JIu Zhi.

Wo Qing Cheng Zhan Da ZhunTi

Wei yuan ci Bei

Chui jia hu

Namo Sa Duo Nan

San Miao San Pu Tuo

Jiu Zhi Nan

Da Zhi Tuo