thelerner

Saving the World & Solar Energy

I found this very interesting. How introducing 70 wolves back into Yellow Stone Park after 70 years of absence, changed the eco system drastically, even to the point of changing rivers. Nice optimistic piece on how when nature is given a chance for balance does surprisingly well.

kind of dove tails on how a huge disasters be it volcanic eruptions or even nuclear disasters can help the environment because mans presence tends to have such a negative effect. Remove man for a while, and nature .. finds a way.

a very succinct expression of doing less and achieving more...

manage the wolves and the forests less and the entire environment will very quickly recalibrate to their natural expression of balance.

a drawn bow settles in balance: TTC

And while I'm stating facts, another fact that still stands is: No matter how many mistakes one makes trying to accomplish something, as long as we keep trying and don't keep making the same mistake over and over again we will eventually find the correct way of doing that whatever.

I don't know. That brings to mine this:

Quoteth Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

Quoteth Einstein Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

And here I was trying to be optimistic. Damn!!!

• Like 1

I lost more than $100k investing in Obama backed Green Companies, like A123. It will likely be years and years before America gets into cleaner energy. And thus, America remains a rather filthy place,...CO2 pollution,...noise pollution,...the visual pollution of faith-based institutions and self-centered clothing choices,...the pollution of American attitudes. Overall, I find America to be among the most disgusting places to live,...a place were people seldom smile, unless they hear a joke disparaging of others.

As a consequence, in America, the Illiberals out number the Liberals.

What is a Liberal?

"someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, that is what a ‘Liberal’ means, and I’m proud to say I’m a ‘Liberal.’” John F Kennedy September 14, 1960

A liberal is not against Civil Rights, like restricting the right to bear arms, or the right to freedom from religion. Thus, there are few true liberals in America. A liberal America would be interested in zero-energy housing like Germany,...Healthcare like the top 10 happiest Countries,...and the removal of all Constitutionally illegal references of theism.

The 1st Amendment is directly opposed to the First Commandment.

Common Law "is that system of law which was introduced by the Saxons on their settlement in England…about the middle of the fifth century. But Christianity was not introduced till the seventh century.…We may safely affirm that Christianity neither is, nor ever was a part of the common law." Thomas Jefferson February 10, 1814

"the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded upon the Christian religion". drafted in 1796 by George Washington, then unanimously ratified by the US Senate and sign into law on June 10, 1797 by President John Adams

Edited by Vmarco
  • Like 1

.the visual pollution of faith-based institutions and self-centered clothing choices,...the pollution of American attitudes. Overall, I find America to be among the most disgusting places to live,...a place were people seldom smile, unless they hear a joke disparaging of others.

There are churches near me. Don't know much about them, but I assume they're full of good people. They have nice architecture, nice lawns, seeing them I don't feel any dread or antipathy. (matter of fact I went to a Greek Orthodox one today for Greekfest, ate souvlaki, drank Greek tea, listened to Greek music. Had a nice time w/ nice people) Clothing choices, well I'm a Burner, I applaud the colorful and unusual. I see alot of smiles. Maybe its because I look for them, maybe because I smile at others and they smile back.

for all my hopes and cheerleading, alternate energy stocks are treacherous, best invested in as a momentum trader rather then long term investor. FWIW I like natural gas and liquid natural gas companies for long term investing, particularly those with excellent dividends.

There are churches near me. Don't know much about them, but I assume they're full of good people. They have nice architecture, nice lawns, seeing them I don't feel any dread or antipathy. (matter of fact I went to a Greek Orthodox one today for Greekfest, ate souvlaki, drank Greek tea, listened to Greek music. Had a nice time w/ nice people) Clothing choices, well I'm a Burner, I applaud the colorful and unusual. I see alot of smiles. Maybe its because I look for them, maybe because I smile at others and they smile back.

Yes,...IMO all Christians have an inherent basic goodness,...nevertheless, all Christians are basically dishonest. Anyone who believes in a god for their identity is dishonest.

Because America is predominately a Christian Country (since 1942), this dominance pervades everything in American life,...from laws to customs,...to the ugly crosses of death not polluting every county in America, but at all levels of government.

Although Americans are allowed to practice the delusion of their choice,...it should also be noted that it is impossible for a Christian or other theist, to ever realize the Tao.

Somehow, Al Gore got it correct when he said in 1992, “The more deeply I search for the roots of our global environmental crisis, the more I am convinced that it is an outer manifestation of an inner crisis that is, for the lack of a better word, spiritual.”

No theist can be spiritual,...it is IMPOSSIBLE. Spirituality comes through the Heart,...whereas theism arises from ego. The Heart is only accessed by letting go of conditions. Theism is a meme,...a condition of the head. The gnowledge necessary to be in harmony with the Planet will not come from theism.

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand....after the last tree is felled, Christ will come back." Bill Moyer quoting Secretary of the Interior James Watt on Global Warming

"I don't know that those who don't believe in God should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." George HW Bush, August 27, 1987

Because America is predominately a Christian Country (since 1942), this dominance pervades everything in American life,...from laws to customs,...to the ugly crosses of death not polluting every county in America, but at all levels of government.

"We don't have to protect the environment, the Second Coming is at hand....after the last tree is felled, Christ will come back." Bill Moyer quoting Secretary of the Interior James Watt on Global Warming

"I don't know that those who don't believe in God should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." George HW Bush, August 27, 1987

Since the Joseph McCarthy Era, during the post-World War II years, Christianity has infiltrated nearly every aspect of the United States government, trimming that wall of separation into a small hedge, which now, inescapably, allows their beliefs to pollute our everyday environment with its virulent, theocratic moralistic views. These views may have all the good intentions of its faithful, yet that does not reduce the irrationality of the superstition or diminish the threat to the nation of my birth from that faith’s agenda for a monotheistic, theocratic government. Many Tea Party morons call themselves Theocrats.

The historic truth is, according to people such Herman C. Weber, DD, an expert in religious censuses and statistics, that few early Americans were members of a Christian church. In the 1933 Yearbook of American Churches, for instance, it says that just 6.9% of U.S. citizens belonged to a church in 1800. By 1850, religious membership had risen to 15.5%. By 1900, Christians had doubled their percentage to 37%. However, not until 1942 did Christian affiliation exceed 50% of the U.S. population.

Although Americans are allowed to practice the delusion of their choice,...it should also be noted that it is impossible for a Christian or other theist, to ever realize the Tao.

I wanted to quote you too.

This is worthy.

Just read an article about the emerging dustbowl that was once the American Southwest ... Geologists are getting to investigate the basin of the Colorado river in ways they never dreamed of.

• Like 1

I think companies like Tesla represent a great hope for humankind. Also the new thorium reactors that are being built, give me hope. Some day we WILL learn, there's no other viable option and we're at the crossroads now.

But a change needs to be effected in human consciousness first, I'm convinced of that. It's not going to happen with our current programming of children.

• Like 2

no matter what illusions anyone follows or believes - or supports - or fights for - or defends - or just mildly considers - or....

all serve the truth eventually by nature of their illusion showing what the truth is not...

so meh... walk your false path, I'll meet you at the source eventually, no matter what.... :)

• Like 1

But a change needs to be effected in human consciousness first, I'm convinced of that.

Lake Mead is sinking to the point where the water pressure soon won't be enough to run the turbines on the Hoover dam. When that happens, expect an expansion of consciousness. The Ogallala aquifier is drying up, too. Alternative science is going to be trending pretty soon. I hope.

The 'great plains' are historically a deathly-dry desert area. The timing was kind of ironic as the early European settlers arrived there at a moment when it was unusually fruitful. Also, Las Vegas should never have happened.

Yeah, there are already water problems in the USA and it will be getting worse, I am sure.

Of course, there are in other parts of the world as well.

I think it is time for the USA to start thinking about constructing desalination plants, especially along the California coast.

• Like 1

Yeah, the end is the same for all of us.

This is a dishonest statement. How do you know "the end is the same for all?" Surely it is a humanistic hope, a New Age fantasy, or faith-based delusion.

What if, as many have suggested (Hopi Day of Purification, Christianity, Islam, and numerous other belief systems) that "not all" will make it.

Would not the more honest speculation be those who "wake up" while in the body while have a different experience than those who do not. Delusion, belief, conditions, etc., cannot return to Source,...for they are not of Source. Thus, the better theory would be, that the end of conditioned folks will be different than unconditioned folk.

Do the meek really inherit the Earth,...or is that a mantra of those who turn, and pretend,...that their faith that a good god will save them.

I don't recall Lao Tzu or Buddha ever saying to cling to faith that someone will save you, because all will be saved. However, I have heard, wake up before you die.

What if you had a thousand reincarnations to wake up in,....and the end of the universe is not in 22 billion years, but 22 years. With out being awake, how does one honestly gnow that they will return to Source without waking up before the end?

I think it is time for the USA to start thinking about constructing desalination plants, especially along the California coast.

well, I think it may be time to start re-thinking the approach to agriculture and land management in general. It takes something like 15,000 liters of water to produce one kilo of beef -- under ideal conditions. When the temperature rises, that amount can double.

• Like 1

This is a dishonest statement.

Not really, from my perspective. Recalling that I am a materialist, the natural fact is that when our physical body dies it begins to rot away. Life is gone from it. Where that life goes is a spiritual concept, concepts which I almost never speak to.

So, from a materialistic point of view, yes, the end is the same for everyone.

• Like 4

well, I think it may be time to start re-thinking the approach to agriculture and land management in general. It takes something like 15,000 liters of water to produce one kilo of beef -- under ideal conditions. When the temperature rises, that amount can double.

No argument with you here. I just don't have the knowledge to talk about it.

No argument with you here. I just don't have the knowledge to talk about it.

well, I'm just brimming with knowledge right now because I read this article ;)

haha

• Like 1

Not really, from my perspective. Recalling that I am a materialist, the natural fact is that when our physical body dies it begins to rot away. Life is gone from it. Where that life goes is a spiritual concept, concepts which I almost never speak to.

So, from a materialistic point of view, yes, the end is the same for everyone.

Guess that's a mis-definition of spirituality, which has been become so polluted by the ignorant, that it has become a main talking point of the ego enlightenment movement.

I agree with you that,...from a "we are our body" point of view,...the perceived end is the same for everyone,...however, the materialistic/empirical point of view is fundamentally dishonest,...as in, total BS.

From a Lao Tzu or Buddha point of view, there is another self, beyond the skandha self,...which when realized, opens a different perspective on the way things are. The only way, according to Lao Tzu and Buddha,...to recognize the Tao or Tathagata,...is to wake up before the body dies. Thus, an honest person could not confirm that same is all for everyone,...and is quite possible that the unawakened flash out.

I agree with you that,...from a "we are our body" point of view,...the perceived end is the same for everyone,...however, the materialistic/empirical point of view is fundamentally dishonest,...as in, total BS.

Maybe, maybe not. Can you prove it? Or does it always require an amount of faith?

From a Lao Tzu or Buddha point of view, there is another self, beyond the skandha self,...which when realized, opens a different perspective on the way things are. The only way, according to Lao Tzu and Buddha,...to recognize the Tao or Tathagata,...is to wake up before the body dies. Thus, an honest person could not confirm that same is all for everyone,...and is quite possible that the unawakened flash out.

Perhaps, but you know I cannot speak to that.

Hmnn, back to the OP. This is the Saving the World and Solar Energy thread.

Save the philosophies for other threads and the long dark nights of winter. Nothing wrong with a bit of straying, but please don't let off topic comments gather too much momentum.

• Like 2

There's a deal here in the UK where if a householder has solar panels on a suitable roof they receive some sort of subsidy towards payment from the government.

We've seen quite a few solar roofs being installed hereabouts.

It's not something we ever looked at for this place though.

The main house is a listed building so the exterior cannot be altered.

Three miles offshore from where we are moving to they are building what will be Europe's largest wind farm once it is completed.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2