thelerner

Saving the World & Solar Energy

I wanted to put this into a 'ideas for saving the world' thread we had a while ago, but Off Topic isn't letting me page down. Here's a new breakthrough idea in Solar Energy production. It'll be interesting to see if it pans out for the future.

http://v3solar.com/

Love this! I have been operating panels for 20 years and they are sufficient for my purposes (VERY minimal), but I am aware of the many problems of larger systems and I don't think I would ever run one (I leave my panel on a frame with wheels at the front path out of the cabin, at times as I go past I manually track, that alone has halved the need for panels).

Also when cloudy it is often windy. In big arrays keeping panels or reflectors clean is an issue. I wonder how this system deals with that? They look hard to clean ?

I cant imagine the cost though ( I only saw the short vid).

Of course my comments relate to a small landholding and not industry.

Edited by Nungali

Solar is best put to use in individual, home installations. Its so easy to put a setup together its not even funny, if you're DIY inclined in the least its just a little elbow grease. I just got my box of solar cells last week, I just have to figure out the exact config I'm going to use on my roof, pick up an inverter and a battery, I dont think I'll get 'em up before the winter though.

Def! I did my first system myself with a truck battery,2nd hand panel, a few fixtures (like junction boxes) from the marine supply shop (all 12v dc in that shop) ... no regulator or anything (just emergency fuse for shorts) I could run small TV , all lights (sensibly . with support from candles for constant background lighting when required - I have spot lights set up that get turned on and off when needed; over sink, deck, lounge chair { for reading} ) , sound system, (and later installed a $65 camping inverter for lap top and phone recharge station ). Batteries last for years and years and cost about $180 to replace .. that was my power bill from then on :)

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Well, so you went off topic. Not the first person to ever do that.

I must confess, he can do more activities than I can. But like he said, he has been doing that kind of stuff all his like. And I totally agree with him - just because we get old doesn't mean we have to sit down and die.

My solar system isn't working so well right now because I haven't seen the sun for two days now. But it did rain so I have make-up water for the ponds as well as water for the gardens.

The worse time for solar power at my cabin is the wet season when it pisses down, I notice my neighbour, up hill has water gushing out the rainwater tank overflow ... I wonder if that can be diverted to a little hydro generator as a back up ?

I notice my neighbour, up hill has water gushing out the rainwater tank overflow ... I wonder if that can be diverted to a little hydro generator as a back up ?

I don't know why it couldn't. I don't have any knowledge to offer but water power has been going on for a long time so there are people who know these things.

Maybe a waterwheel interfaced to an old 12VDC auto generator would do the trick.

This is in its infancy, but its too logical an idea to stay there. Showers that suck the water back up, reheat it (slightly), filter it, re-use it, repeat. Huge savings. Clean water is no long flushed down the drain. Heat isn't continually wasted. Here is a link: http://orbital-systems.com/technology/

An illustration of the technology is shown below;

orbital-recycling-shower.jpg

Technology performance Water savings

Savings up to, and more than 90% water consumption. Due to the efficient water recycling system.

Energy savings

Savings up to, and more than 80% of the energy consumption. As a consequence of our recycling and purification process that makes it possible to re-use the heat of the rinsed water.

Hygiene enhancement

Cleaner water than regular tap water. Due to our patented recycling technology which includes purification and heat recovery in real time the water quality is ensured to be above drinking quality level. Testing at credited laboratories such as Swedish Institute of Diseases as well as Alcontrol Laboratories has been done throughout our whole development process.

Example of filtration capabilities
  • Endotoxin removal > 99,96 %
  • DNA > 99,5 %
  • Micron size particles > 99,995 %
  • Cyst reduction by at least 99.95%
Increasing comfort

Higher comfort level in shower activity, both compared to conventional showers and other water saving solutions existing. Due to the precise temperature stability, water flow and pressure which are working independently from other applications. Compared to other water saving products this doesn’t decrease the water flow but can even offer using large shower nozzles for increasing the comfort which means producing a steady pressure while having a water flow over 15 litres per minute.

Simple. Too expensive right now, but with a little innovation it'll get there, especially with the multiple savings and you the fact that you give up nothing in terms of the experience. And as long as you're filtering and re-using water, why not do the same for the toilet. Lose the waste and keep (most of) the water. The savings would be tremendous, nor does the water need to be restored to pristine drinking levels.

• Like 1

I don't know why it couldn't. I don't have any knowledge to offer but water power has been going on for a long time so there are people who know these things.

Maybe a waterwheel interfaced to an old 12VDC auto generator would do the trick.

The tech is there, a friend had one that fitted into a water pipe than ran down hill from a creek.

I should have said "I wonder if I can get it together to .... " :)

on small scale of me (and my 'not that many people squashed into one space' environment) I don't waste water much; often in Oz we have to be water wise, a friend visited and was horrified about my kitchen sink water wastage. I explained that waters the garden outside the kitchen window and if they don't get enough water I have to then use the hose and use the same water anyway,

• Like 1

If I had one wish in the save the world department, it would be this. A 2 year military sabbatical every decade. The last 2 years of each decade governments would sign a non aggression pack, no attacking, standing down for 2 years. Military's would run on skeleton crews, the vast majority put to work on environmental and civil building and repair projects. Navies would do oceanographic studies.

Maybe after a few of these it'd be so obvious what could be done with 2 years of peace and trillion or so spent on long term building that long term peace would be an obvious idea. That'd be nice. Need a better name than 2 year military sabbatical though. In advertising name is everything.

Can anyone come up with a better one?

The tech is there, a friend had one that fitted into a water pipe than ran down hill from a creek.

I should have said "I wonder if I can get it together to .... " :)

on small scale of me (and my 'not that many people squashed into one space' environment) I don't waste water much; often in Oz we have to be water wise, a friend visited and was horrified about my kitchen sink water wastage. I explained that waters the garden outside the kitchen window and if they don't get enough water I have to then use the hose and use the same water anyway,

Hehehe. I was just trying to inspire you to check it out.

Yes, recycling used water is a great idea. My house is built such that retro-fitting would be way too expensive.

Yes, recycling used water is a great idea. My house is built such that retro-fitting would be way too expensive.

It wouldn't take a genius to design a low shower platform 8 or 9 inches high that held a medium sized extra strength (double or tripled?) garbage bag under it, that would fill during a shower. You'd have soapy water, but soap isn't all bad for gardens (in short run, longer there's mineral build up), there are less sudsy ones. The shower platform wouldn't have to be used every time. Heck if concerned you could have a little foot flipper on it so only 'cleaner' water would collect. It'd have to be emptied each time and overflow would go down the drain, still, it'd be cheap and some would use it.

Some people go so far as keeping there toilet basin open so they can flush with a 1/2 gallon of water poured on top. No travel needed, water saved.

• Like 1

This is in its infancy, but its too logical an idea to stay there. Showers that suck the water back up, reheat it (slightly), filter it, re-use it, repeat. Huge savings. Clean water is no long flushed down the drain. Heat isn't continually wasted. Here is a link: http://orbital-systems.com/technology/

An illustration of the technology is shown below;

orbital-recycling-shower.jpg

Technology performance Water savings

Savings up to, and more than 90% water consumption. Due to the efficient water recycling system.

Energy savings

Savings up to, and more than 80% of the energy consumption. As a consequence of our recycling and purification process that makes it possible to re-use the heat of the rinsed water.

Hygiene enhancement

Cleaner water than regular tap water. Due to our patented recycling technology which includes purification and heat recovery in real time the water quality is ensured to be above drinking quality level. Testing at credited laboratories such as Swedish Institute of Diseases as well as Alcontrol Laboratories has been done throughout our whole development process.

Example of filtration capabilities
  • Endotoxin removal > 99,96 %
  • DNA > 99,5 %
  • Micron size particles > 99,995 %
  • Cyst reduction by at least 99.95%
Increasing comfort

Higher comfort level in shower activity, both compared to conventional showers and other water saving solutions existing. Due to the precise temperature stability, water flow and pressure which are working independently from other applications. Compared to other water saving products this doesn’t decrease the water flow but can even offer using large shower nozzles for increasing the comfort which means producing a steady pressure while having a water flow over 15 litres per minute.

Simple. Too expensive right now, but with a little innovation it'll get there, especially with the multiple savings and you the fact that you give up nothing in terms of the experience. And as long as you're filtering and re-using water, why not do the same for the toilet. Lose the waste and keep (most of) the water. The savings would be tremendous, nor does the water need to be restored to pristine drinking levels.

I checked the website. They do not give any information about water treatment system. The membrane technologies of Reverse Osmosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_Osmosis) and Electrodeionization (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrodeionization) requires pressurized water and they also spend 20% of dirty water. If they are applying a new technology, it will be really breakthrough.

It will be safer to be suspicious until they explain the technology.

Edited by Isimsiz Biri

Well, in space the folks do recycle their water including their urine. But that process is very expensive and only governments who can print their own money can afford to do it.

But sure, if you had the technology (and money) it could be done. It could also be done using biological purification but that requires a lot a land area strictly controlled.

But using dish washing water or laundry water to water lawns and gardens is an inexpensive and easy potable water-saving process. Catching rain water is another.

I'll bet that lens cost a lot of money!

Yes, great concept. Sun tracking and movable panels have been around for a long time now but they are too expensive for me to consider.

Capturing the moon's reflected energy is a great concept. Even on a full moon night with perfectly clear skies I have never had an indication of a charge on my solar system.

Lenses are being used currently with hydro-solar systems.

Things are getting better.

• Like 1

Current practical water desalination, costs around a three dollars per thousand gallons , at 100 gal per day per person usage , which to me sounds like I dont have to give it any thought , except to consider that oil rich mideastern countries could do an awful lot of irrigation ...

People save the world.

Jobs was always the hip icon, but Bill Gates has been improving the world and leading the way for others for quite a while. I'm not saying he's a saint, but he's been doing great work thats effecting and improving the lives of millions.

Also a call out to the new Pope. Good Job.

http://distractify.com/people/reasons-why-pope-francis-is-the-person-of-the-year/

some of the points:

1. He spoke out against frivolous spending by the Church

The average set of cardinal’s clothes costs as much as $20,000. In October, Pope Francis urged officials to dress more modestly and to not squander such money. In the same month, he ordered a German bishop to explain how he had spent $3 million on a marble courtyard.

Source: globalpost.com

2. He invited a boy with Down's Syndrome for a ride in the Popemobile

During a general audience, Pope Francis invited Alberto di Tullio, a 17-year-old boy with Downs Syndrome, to ride in his Popemobile while thousands watched. The boy and his father were said to be "choked up" when he was embraced by the Pope. Source: cbsnews.com

3. He embraced and kissed Vinicio Riva o-POPE-BOILS-900.jpg Source: huffpost.com

November saw Pope Francis embrace Vinicio Riva, a man scarred by a genetic disease. Fighting agonising pain on a daily basis, such an act restored the faith of a man who says he is often mocked in public.

Source: cnn.com

4. He denounced the judgment of homosexuals 76fcdecc95af2119b8a4cf64a6f49c6a.png Source: cnn.com

Pope Francis has stated several times that the Church has no right to interfere spiritually in the lives of gays and lesbians. Though Francis maintained the right of the Church to express opinions on homosexuality, he believed that Christians should not judge or ridicule. This led to The Advocate, a gay rights magazine, naming Francis the 'single most influential person of 2013 on the lives of LGBT people.'

5. He held a major ceremony at the chapel of a youth prison 2.1.jpg Source: incarnationparish.org

In March, the Pope held a major Holy Week service at Casal del Marmo jail for minors, rather than the Vatican. During the service, the pope washed and kissed the feet of 12 young offenders to commemorate Jesus' gesture of humility towards his apostles on the night before he died. During the service, he broke tradition by washing the feet of women and Muslims.

Source: reuters.com

6. He urged the protection of the Amazon Rainforest

Source: nationalpost.com

During his visit to Brazil, Pope Francis met with natives who have been fighting ranchers and farmers attempting to invade their land. He encouraged that the Amazon be treated as a garden and protected, along with it's native people.

7. He personally called and consoled a victim of rape

A 44-year old Argentinian woman, raped by a local policeman, was one of thousands to write a letter to Pope Francis in 2013. The woman was surprised when she later received a phone call from Francis himself--who consoled the woman and told her, “You are not alone.”

Source: catholicvirtue.org

8. He snuck out of the Vatican to feed the homeless

Source: newsfirst.lk

More recently, it has been discovered that Pope Francis regularly leaves the Vatican at night to feed the homeless. Dressed as an ordinary priest, he joins Archbishop Konrad Krajewski to feed the poor of Rome.

Source: huffingtonpost.com

9. He auctioned his motorcycle to benefit the homeless

In October, Francis donated his own Harley Davidson motorcycle to fund a hostel and soup kitchen in Rome. Source: ncregister.com 1

10 He acknowledged that atheists can be good peopleSource: mercopress.com

Earlier in 2013, Pope Francis spoke out against the common interpretation within the Church that atheists, by nature, are bad people. He stated that, “Atheists should be seen as good people if they do good.” After meeting the Pope, the openly atheist president of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, compared Francis to a friendly neighbor.

<add on Just the fact he had a Harley says he's cool, thinks outside of the box and not going to be your average Pope.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

People save the world.

Jobs was always the hip icon, but Bill Gates has been improving the world and leading the way for others for quite a while. I'm not saying he's a saint, but he's been doing great work thats effecting and improving the lives of millions.

Also a call out to the new Pope. Good Job.

http://distractify.com/people/reasons-why-pope-francis-is-the-person-of-the-year/

some of the points:

1. He spoke out against frivolous spending by the Church

The average set of cardinal’s clothes costs as much as $20,000. In October, Pope Francis urged officials to dress more modestly and to not squander such money. In the same month, he ordered a German bishop to explain how he had spent $3 million on a marble courtyard.

Source: globalpost.com

2. He invited a boy with Down's Syndrome for a ride in the Popemobile

During a general audience, Pope Francis invited Alberto di Tullio, a 17-year-old boy with Downs Syndrome, to ride in his Popemobile while thousands watched. The boy and his father were said to be "choked up" when he was embraced by the Pope. Source: cbsnews.com

3. He embraced and kissed Vinicio Riva o-POPE-BOILS-900.jpg Source: huffpost.com

November saw Pope Francis embrace Vinicio Riva, a man scarred by a genetic disease. Fighting agonising pain on a daily basis, such an act restored the faith of a man who says he is often mocked in public.

4. He denounced the judgment of homosexuals 76fcdecc95af2119b8a4cf64a6f49c6a.png Source: cnn.com

Pope Francis has stated several times that the Church has no right to interfere spiritually in the lives of gays and lesbians. Though Francis maintained the right of the Church to express opinions on homosexuality, he believed that Christians should not judge or ridicule. This led to The Advocate, a gay rights magazine, naming Francis the 'single most influential person of 2013 on the lives of LGBT people.'

5. He held a major ceremony at the chapel of a youth prison 2.1.jpg Source: incarnationparish.org

In March, the Pope held a major Holy Week service at Casal del Marmo jail for minors, rather than the Vatican. During the service, the pope washed and kissed the feet of 12 young offenders to commemorate Jesus' gesture of humility towards his apostles on the night before he died. During the service, he broke tradition by washing the feet of women and Muslims.

Source: reuters.com

6. He urged the protection of the Amazon Rainforest

During his visit to Brazil, Pope Francis met with natives who have been fighting ranchers and farmers attempting to invade their land. He encouraged that the Amazon be treated as a garden and protected, along with it's native people.

7. He personally called and consoled a victim of rape

A 44-year old Argentinian woman, raped by a local policeman, was one of thousands to write a letter to Pope Francis in 2013. The woman was surprised when she later received a phone call from Francis himself--who consoled the woman and told her, “You are not alone.”

Source: catholicvirtue.org

8. He snuck out of the Vatican to feed the homeless

Source: newsfirst.lk

More recently, it has been discovered that Pope Francis regularly leaves the Vatican at night to feed the homeless. Dressed as an ordinary priest, he joins Archbishop Konrad Krajewski to feed the poor of Rome.

Source: huffingtonpost.com

9. He auctioned his motorcycle to benefit the homeless

In October, Francis donated his own Harley Davidson motorcycle to fund a hostel and soup kitchen in Rome. Source: ncregister.com 1

10 He acknowledged that atheists can be good peopleSource: mercopress.com

Earlier in 2013, Pope Francis spoke out against the common interpretation within the Church that atheists, by nature, are bad people. He stated that, “Atheists should be seen as good people if they do good.” After meeting the Pope, the openly atheist president of Uruguay, Jose Mujica, compared Francis to a friendly neighbor.

<add on Just the fact he had a Harley says he's cool, thinks outside of the box and not going to be your average Pope.

Stay on the topic. This thread is for SOLUTIONS.

Stay on the topic. This thread is for SOLUTIONS.

I actually found that funny, what with being an Atheist and knowing what harm organized religion has caused humanity.

True, organized religion is not a solution, it is part of the problem.

And edit to add:

Today my solar system isn't working so well as I have full cloudy skies with rain. But, as I do have rain I have filled all my storage facilities so I have many days now of rain water to use for my ponds and gardens.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

I actually found that funny, what with being an Atheist and knowing what harm organized religion has caused humanity.

True, organized religion is not a solution, it is part of the problem.

And edit to add:

Today my solar system isn't working so well as I have full cloudy skies with rain. But, as I do have rain I have filled all my storage facilities so I have many days now of rain water to use for my ponds and gardens.

Not all of the organized religions but some of the organized religions.

Glad to hear about your water storage. I hope and pray that you can find water in the following years.

• Like 1

Not all of the organized religions but some of the organized religions.

I just spoke to that in the "Zoroaster" thread.

Glad to hear about your water storage. I hope and pray that you can find water in the following years.

Thanks. As long as the world's climate doesn't change too quickly I should still get a fair share of both sun and rain. But climates will change; that's part of the nature of our planet.

I just spoke to that in the "Zoroaster" thread.

Thanks. As long as the world's climate doesn't change too quickly I should still get a fair share of both sun and rain. But climates will change; that's part of the nature of our planet.

I replied in Zoroaster thread. Please do not speak about climate change, focus on the solutions.

I replied in Zoroaster thread.

Hehehe.

Please do not speak about climate change, focus on the solutions.

There is no solution for climate change. There is adapting to climate change though.

Therefore the solution is adapting. That is to say, using the Earth's resources conservatively. Saving rain for the sunny days and saving the sun's energy for night-time hours' needs.

• Like 2

There is no solution for climate change. There is adapting to climate change though.

Therefore the solution is adapting. That is to say, using the Earth's resources conservatively. Saving rain for the sunny days and saving the sun's energy for night-time hours' needs.

Too little, too late.

Too little, too late.

Not for me. And afterall, I am the center of my universe. I doubt that I will ever be wanting because I know how to adapt.

• Like 1

I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a 100 watt portable solar set up for my little camper. Panel on a stand, wiring, 3-stage charge controller and jumper cable style wiring to the battery.

Should allow me to sit for weeks at a time without needing to use the alternator to charge the battery.

And better, for me, than installing panels in the roof and hard wiring it all.

• Like 1