Neophyte

Nei gong induced psychosis! Please help.

Hello fellow Tao bums :)

I've been practicing Nei Gong and Qigong for a few years now, and I'm becoming terrified at what's happening right now....

I haven't been able to practice for the past few weeks, and I live in a constant state of severe anxiety. This is because I'm starting to hallucinate, in a sense and it won't stop.

What's happening is that I very clearly hear music in my mind (not ears). I can't suppress the music. I even hear it in my sleep sometimes, and wake up to it. What's worse, is that it seems to be coming from outside of my body; from behind me. I feel a huge amount of energy behind me, attached to my body, and the music seems to come from there.

I also seem to hallucinate sounds, which seem to come from behind me, though not as frequently,

Sorry if this post sounds weird or disturbing but I'm convinced that this is occuring entirely because of my nei gong, and qi gong practices, which my life has been revolving around the last few years.

So what can I do to stop this? Is what I'm experiencing commonplace in nei/qi practices?

(Is this because my third gate isn't opened yet, and the huge amounts of energy is surging up my spine are entering the wrong paths?)

Please help....

^ Grandmaster P I respect your advice..but I think this may be unwise seeing as a hospital would just lock him up in a mental home, perhaps it is like some demonic possession or something spiritually related?

• Like 1

• talk to a TCM practioner.
  • bring the energy down out of your head - navel / lower dan tien

if you haven't already stopped your nei kung practice, do so.

in the old days when I got too much energy in my crown I would do zhan zhaung standing in a stream (running water) - standing is very grounding and running water can take energy off your body.

There is an interesting book "Breathing Spaces" about qigong and mental health in China. There is a certain amount of mental illness in China that results from qigong practice - the author describes the treatment by Chinese hospitals as starting with tranquilizers (thorazine, etc.) which is probably what you would get in an American medical facility. It seems to work, but I think that would not be your first choice.

Edited by Alchemistgeorge

i used to get the sensation that someone was always watching me from behind, about to touch my shoulder. Then i realized it was god/whatever you want to call that. Calm mind ensued

• Like 1

Do you have a teacher, or is there a teacher in your area that you could talk to?

I've read about hearing music but i don't remember why it happens or what it means, but i hope someone who can help you does

I've been practicing Nei Gong and Qigong for a few years now, and I'm becoming terrified at what's happening right now....

I haven't been able to practice for the past few weeks, and I live in a constant state of severe anxiety. This is because I'm starting to hallucinate, in a sense and it won't stop.

What's happening is that I very clearly hear music in my mind (not ears). I can't suppress the music. I even hear it in my sleep sometimes, and wake up to it. What's worse, is that it seems to be coming from outside of my body; from behind me. I feel a huge amount of energy behind me, attached to my body, and the music seems to come from there.

I also seem to hallucinate sounds, which seem to come from behind me, though not as frequently,

Sorry if this post sounds weird or disturbing but I'm convinced that this is occuring entirely because of my nei gong, and qi gong practices, which my life has been revolving around the last few years.

So what can I do to stop this? Is what I'm experiencing commonplace in nei/qi practices?

(Is this because my third gate isn't opened yet, and the huge amounts of energy is surging up my spine are entering the wrong paths?)

Please help....

Can you describe your practice?

What exactly were you doing?

Third eye breathing?

MCO?

In any case stop all training immediately, eat a large meal with lots of protein (eggs and dairy if vegetarian) protein is very grounding.

Turn the water in your shower on to luke warm so that it is not cold to you, meditate and relax feel this energy trapped in your head draining away with the water.

Stop smoking anything or drinking alcohol if you do, do not cope with this using prescription drugs either unless a doctor gives you a prescription for them.

If you live close the ocean, the ocean is a great grounding medium.

• Like 1

Hearing the internal music of the spheres is a good thing, it is a sign of progress... though not the sort you were hoping to cultivate in your practice, it seems. It will eventually fade away, so you should enjoy it and know that this too will pass. The central channel, though it goes through the center of the spine, is not inside of the body. It is more like a spacial vortex, and so when it is activated what will be felt is 'emptiness', as if it were magic, coming from some place far away and yet intimately close. The body is an instrument in the truest sense of the word, so when it becomes harmonized, what would result but music?

You say 'behind me' as if you were truly your body! No, you are That. Do not be afraid. Do, however, cease all practice and ground yourself in your regular life. Let the phenomena which you've cultivated be and just live your life normally. Meanwhile, contemplate what you are really trying to do with your practice, because the mind is capable of creating miracles and many other interesting and terrible things. Any sights, smells, sounds or feelings you can imagine, the mind can recreate with stunning accuracy, hence why the masters are always stressing non-attachment. By the same method you use to create your 'internal thought voice', that is the same method used to create other mind-sounds. Don't regard them as real or arising from some disorder, when the mind is thus empowered your expectations become potent. When you have energy, manifestation is just a matter of will.

Edited by Fū Yue
  • Like 1

I went through this as well.

It's important to find ways to be calm. Get out of your head and focus gently on something else in the real world. The book in my signature is excellent...I recommend getting a paperback copy.

In the meantime, if you can just make some green tea slowly, paying attention to every little aspect of the act. Use all of your senses. Watch the steam rise...look at the color...feel the heat of the cup...taste the flavor and try to distinguish all of the subtle nuances.

So pay attention to things like that...with care. It will calm you down, and help you get out of your head and grounded in reality.

Don't practice internal energy stuff. If you're focusing on the lower dantien, trying to move energy down there, you're doing the wrong thing in my opinion.

I agree with the advice to speak with a professional. Talk to a counselor. Despite sounding scared about your situation, you have a very clear description of how it's going for you...you are speaking from a sane point of view. The counselor should appreciate that, and will listen and offer any tips they have. Really...go see one, and stop practicing what you have been. Calming down is the most important thing, and besides the advice above, you know what's best for that. Whatever works.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot: time heals. This is impermanent. Being calm makes it more so.

Edited by turtle shell
  • Like 4

You say 'behind me' as if you were truly your body!

'behind me' Moreso probably for the sake of convenience...instead of replacing every personal pronoun with "(behind) the-vessel that-my-spiritual-energy-consciousness-matrix-is-currently-occupying"

Your problem is probably excess energy that needs to be channelled or exhausted. Do you ever perform significant exercise? Could be your solution.

What's happening is that I very clearly hear music in my mind (not ears). I can't suppress the music. I even hear it in my sleep

There is a branch of meditation method called inner sound. Their main practice is to hear the "music" inside. The theory is that soul is vibrating/singing a wonderful music. Only your heart can hear it if you open the channel. Once you hear it, you immerse your whole body to the music, so every cell inside your body sings the same "song" or vibrates in synch.

My knowledge of inner sound is purely academic. You should find an inner sound practioner to figure out what to do.

It's a gift that you souldn't waste. Some people spend years trying to hear the music.

I don't think it presents real damage except involking your fear of unknown.

Remember love conquers all. Love is the most powerful energy. With puer love in your heart, you might find it's the most beautiful music out of this world. Again, it's just a theory and stories that I've heard.

Be sensible about this, it's a serious subject.

If you thought or had reason to beleive you had cancer who's advice would you listen to about a sensible course of action? Think about it.

Getting moral and group support from people who can appreciate a problem is one thing.

Getting informed and educated opinion about something like emerging qi psychosis from a longstanding and well regarded healer is something entirely different.

I would PM Ya Mu, Hundun, or Shaktimamma. They all have quite different backgrounds, and whether they can help directly or will advise you of someone who can, they are all people with the experience and background to have advice worth listening to.

Most acupuncturists or TCM practitioners wouldn't know what to do with qi psychosis.

There are others on the board who can probably help, but I either don't know them, or can't think of them right this second.

Best,

Please help....

Tell us something about the quality of the music, is it pleasant, disturbing... etc?

Are you squandering you vital energy (orgasm)?

What sort of practices do you perform?

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your responses.

• bring the energy down out of your head - navel / lower dan tien

Thanks! I've been doing this and it actually helps a lot.

in the old days when I got too much energy in my crown I would do zhan zhaung standing in a stream (running water) - standing is very grounding and running water can take energy off your body.

I wish I could do this, lol.

There is an interesting book "Breathing Spaces" about qigong and mental health in China. There is a certain amount of mental illness in China that results from qigong practice - the author describes the treatment by Chinese hospitals as starting with tranquilizers (thorazine, etc.) which is probably what you would get in an American medical facility. It seems to work, but I think that would not be your first choice.

Thanks for the book recommendation. I'll definitely buy the book! :)

What was your goal in doing your neigong? How much do you know about the sushumna nadi?

My general goal is just to get into really excellent health; my long term and ultimate goal, however, is to master Neigong, and the steps given in Taoist Yoga, so that I can end the reincarnation cycle. I've already made great progress in my mental and physical health, which is why I don't want to suddenly give up practice. Other than my current affliction, I feel better now than I've felt in my life.

As for sushumna nadi, I've never heard of it. I'll check it out. Is there anything you recommend regarding it? (books, advice, etc.) :)

i used to get the sensation that someone was always watching me from behind, about to touch my shoulder. Then i realized it was god/whatever you want to call that. Calm mind ensued

lol, I wish a calm mind could be that easily ensued for me. Any moment I put into thinking about it just increases the anxiety.

Do you have a teacher, or is there a teacher in your area that you could talk to?

I've read about hearing music but i don't remember why it happens or what it means, but i hope someone who can help you does

No, unfortanately, I'm unaware if there is a teacher in my area. I wish I could find one, but I don't even know how to go about looking for one.

Can you describe your practice?

What exactly were you doing?

Third eye breathing?

MCO?

My practice usually consists of full lotus; Nine Palaces system, as given in a book my Dr. Baolin Wu; Medical qigong to restore the function of my organs and health; Embryonic Breathing; Chapters 1 and 3 of Taoist Yoga; deep relaxation practices to "regulate" my body. I have found these practices to be very fruitful for me.

I do NOT do Third Eye breathing, and I do practice MCO informally: I plan on practicing the mco prodigiously, because that's such a central exercise in Taoist Yoga. However, I am waiting until I can enter a deep enough level of concentration and relaxation, so that the positive principle manifests, before I begin to practice mco seriously. I'm actually scared of mco, because when I perform it, even after just two or three revolutions, I feel tremendous bio-electric energy; so, I know that the mco works. It's actually a very comfortable feeling, and I think that it's just chi pathways opening up; but because the sensatios are so strong, I'm afraid I may do more harm than good, if I practice it for more than a few revolutions.

In any case stop all training immediately, eat a large meal with lots of protein (eggs and dairy if vegetarian) protein is very grounding.

Thanks for the advice about protein, I never knew that protein is grounding! I normally have a low protein diet, so I'll make modifications. :)

Turn the water in your shower on to luke warm so that it is not cold to you, meditate and relax feel this energy trapped in your head draining away with the water.

I'll try this!

that music is your gift from the gods ... try to reproduce it so others can hear it as well ...

I don't think it's a gift from the gods, because the music I hear is just music that I've heard recently, it's nothing spiritual. :(

Hearing the internal music of the spheres is a good thing, it is a sign of progress... though not the sort you were hoping to cultivate in your practice, it seems. It will eventually fade away, so you should enjoy it and know that this too will pass. The central channel, though it goes through the center of the spine, is not inside of the body. It is more like a spacial vortex, and so when it is activated what will be felt is 'emptiness', as if it were magic, coming from some place far away and yet intimately close. The body is an instrument in the truest sense of the word, so when it becomes harmonized, what would result but music?

You say 'behind me' as if you were truly your body! No, you are That. Do not be afraid. Do, however, cease all practice and ground yourself in your regular life. Let the phenomena which you've cultivated be and just live your life normally. Meanwhile, contemplate what you are really trying to do with your practice, because the mind is capable of creating miracles and many other interesting and terrible things. Any sights, smells, sounds or feelings you can imagine, the mind can recreate with stunning accuracy, hence why the masters are always stressing non-attachment. By the same method you use to create your 'internal thought voice', that is the same method used to create other mind-sounds. Don't regard them as real or arising from some disorder, when the mind is thus empowered your expectations become potent. When you have energy, manifestation is just a matter of will.

Thanks for your response. :) I hope you're right; and I hope you're right that the music will pass. I'm thinking that the music is a result of my making progress in controlling my Xin (emotional, monkey mind) and increasing the dominance of my Yi (wisdom mind). Through my meditation practices, I've managed to calm the hyperactivity of my mind (a hyperactive mind is something I've always had); now I have mental calmness and a productive mind, because of a more dominant Yi mind. The music arises because a deeper part of my mind, or brain, is still not adapted to stillness and silence. It's like a deeper part of my mind is consciously producing music, because I can't FULLY achieve silence and stillness. After 34 years of having a hyper and emotional mind, it's taking some time for me to fully enable myself to let go of my subconcious anxieties, worries, regrets, embarrassments, etc, that I fully need to let go of, before that deeper part of my mind stops producing music and other sounds. (If I hear a telephone ringing, or other annoying sounds, I have a tendency to keep reproducing those sounds in my head; I think that's just because my mind is clinging onto those sounds and reproducing them as a stimulant, because I can't yet fully "let go" of everything to achieve stillness).

I went through this as well.

It's important to find ways to be calm. Get out of your head and focus gently on something else in the real world. The book in my signature is excellent...I recommend getting a paperback copy.

Thanks, I definitely pick up a copy of that book!

In the meantime, if you can just make some green tea slowly, paying attention to every little aspect of the act. Use all of your senses. Watch the steam rise...look at the color...feel the heat of the cup...taste the flavor and try to distinguish all of the subtle nuances.

So pay attention to things like that...with care. It will calm you down, and help you get out of your head and grounded in reality.

Don't practice internal energy stuff. If you're focusing on the lower dantien, trying to move energy down there, you're doing the wrong thing in my opinion.

So, I shoudn't move energy to lower dantien? :( I've been removing energy from my head and drawing it down to the lower dantien. Do you happen to know why I shouldn't do this? I thought the energy was better in lower dantien than in my head. Where should I be storing it instead?

I agree with the advice to speak with a professional. Talk to a counselor. Despite sounding scared about your situation, you have a very clear description of how it's going for you...you are speaking from a sane point of view. The counselor should appreciate that, and will listen and offer any tips they have. Really...go see one, and stop practicing what you have been. Calming down is the most important thing, and besides the advice above, you know what's best for that. Whatever works.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot: time heals. This is impermanent. Being calm makes it more so.

There is a branch of meditation method called inner sound. Their main practice is to hear the "music" inside. The theory is that soul is vibrating/singing a wonderful music. Only your heart can hear it if you open the channel. Once you hear it, you immerse your whole body to the music, so every cell inside your body sings the same "song" or vibrates in synch.

My knowledge of inner sound is purely academic. You should find an inner sound practioner to figure out what to do.

It's a gift that you souldn't waste. Some people spend years trying to hear the music.

I don't think it presents real damage except involking your fear of unknown.

If I can find an inner sound practicioner, I definitely consult him/her; it sounds interesting. I don't think that I've accidentally discovered inner sound meditation though, lol. I think I've done damage to my brain and I hope it's correctable.

Remember love conquers all. Love is the most powerful energy. With puer love in your heart, you might find it's the most beautiful music out of this world. Again, it's just a theory and stories that I've heard.

Tell us something about the quality of the music, is it pleasant, disturbing... etc?

Are you squandering you vital energy (orgasm)?

What sort of practices do you perform?

The music is not music that I've never heard before, so there's no positive spiritual element to it. It's just music that I'm already familiar with, and can't get out of my mind. It's really vivid and "outside me", so yeah, it's not pleasant.

I don't squander my energy through orgasm. I try to keep sexual activity to a minimum. But I do have the bad habit of practicing qigong, neigong before and after orgasms, which is supposed to be VERY damaging. I hope that my mental afflction isn't caused because I practice without having the recommended 72 hours on either side of orgasm, in which I abstain from practice.

So, I shoudn't move energy to lower dantien? :( I've been removing energy from my head and drawing it down to the lower dantien. Do you happen to know why I shouldn't do this? I thought the energy was better in lower dantien than in my head. Where should I be storing it instead?

"Storing energy in the lower dantien" has a counterintuitive effect of kicking up more energy which rises into the head and causes or prolongs problems such as auditory hallucination. The lower dantien is actually a place where, when you put your attention there, it causes the energy to RISE up the back and also up the central channel. It is where the fire element is located, and you are adding wind (your energy) to it, which increases the flame (and problems with energy getting stuck in the head).

Another reason why I think it's a bad idea...doing anything intentionally with your energy and mind causes a rising of energy and an over-stimulation of the upper dantien. Locating energy in the body (spatial awareness) is an activity of the upper dantien, so it's already being overstimulated...totally a counterintuitive effect when you believe you're actually moving energy out of the head. But this is how things work IME. The head is simply overstimulated, and it's best to just stop practicing things that make it worse.

If you "do nothing" and just kind of "let go" or be calm, then the upper dantien is not stimulated and it causes energy to sink naturally. Being distracted away from the sensations of the body and the movements of the mind actually helps with this...so it's good to be engaged with things in your real life, rather than having attention absorbed by intrusive thoughts, feelings, or sensations. Pay attention to nature, rather than to your energy. The best kind of energy work happens when you let go and let the body do its own thing.

In my view, it's best to not be moving or storing energy at all when you're experiencing qigong psychosis...the body heals itself and puts energy in the right places for optimal balance, if you let it (by not practicing). By being calm and not trying to alter your nervous system. Just let it be...at least until you're fully normal again for at least a few months. After that point, you can practice whatever you like and hopefully not experience qigong psychosis again.

Something else that can be okay is whole body self-massage. That can help redistribute energy out of the head, and through the limbs (which is important for healing qigong psychosis).

There's also a thread here called Beginners Cultivation Tips (or something to that effect) by forum member thetaoiseasy. That has some good ideas for helping with this as well.

Edited by turtle shell

Hey, I just wanted to update this thread for those of you who still remember it.

I've learned over the past few months that my problem is really just "clinging to form". Through daily meditation, I have learned to calm my xin (emotional mind). My consciousness is much clearer and relaxed. I have learned how to silence part of my mind, probably mostly the conscious part of my mind, I think.

However, when I clear my mind in meditation, my subconscious is still active (I haven't progressed yet to be able to silence that; I will take time.) When I'm in this state, I have fears, anxieties, embarrassments, compulsions etc., welling up from my subconscious mind. This is normal in meditation, and eventually is overcome. So my mind hides from these fears, embarrassments, etc, by clinging to music, or sounds. It's a form of distraction: my mind doesn't want to experience those uncomfortable memories, so retreats into something that distracts the conscious mind. I noticed that during deep meditation, I suddenly recall a memory that worries me. It agitates my mind, and within seconds, I'm thinking about music.

So, my affliction was really just a case of an inability to experience utter silence and stillness. Sitting still without any thoughts is very unnatural at first; it's something that must be practiced. I'm getting better at it. I'm now able to let go of EVERYTHING when I sit to meditate: all of my fears, worries, embarrassments, hopes, dreams, joys, speculations, etc. I am a void.

This is something I wasn't able to do before. The instant I achieved it, I would "cling" to anything: if I heard the siren of a passing ambulance, my mind would cling to the sound and continually repeat it, ad infinitum.

So really I was progressing and not realizing it at the time. I thought I was going mad, lol. It was a stage of progress.

So, thanks to everyone who contributed to my thread. :)

• Like 4