thetaoiseasy

Some Beginner Cultivation Tips

ah ok, that settles my understanding as I do stillness movement neigong that is good to hear.

Yes with this virtue thing, I think everyone wants to do the right thing deep down and wisdom gained helps this, but in the west (Im assuming you are not so familiar with this I may be wrong) There are some sensitivities around who calls who good or bad and people are quite sensitive about how this topic is addressed due to religion, control and dogma...but deep down the point remains the same, please keep posting your virtue posts (you would probably do so anyways but yeh......

Cheers

First off thanks a LOT for your posts.

You're obviously going to get some specific questions about techniques ( I have a thousand of them but it's clear that isn't what you're doing here, so I'm restraining myself...), but I'm sure that like me, there are quite a few people reading this thread and getting a lot out of it, and you likely won't hear from most of them.

So keep doing what you're doing. And if I ever live in a place with a resource like you or teachers like you and can get all my specific questions answered, I'll be a happy, happy man.

Seems like people enjoy posts about techniques more than me preaching about virtue over and over again. How odd! :huh: (I'm just kidding)

Hello thetaoiseasy,

Actually, What I liked in your last post was that you insisted on the importance of virtue (upper dantien) because I don't really care about the techniques to open this and that, makes circulate this and that.

I know techniques might be important to a certain extent, but..techniques without virtue won't lead anyone very far in their spiritual journey. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks

Here's what I am currently doing in my practice sessions:

• I warm up with the 8 Strands of Brocade
  • I then stand in the first and second positions of Zhan Zhuang
  • Finally I end my session with sitting meditation (stilling the mind and focusing on my LDT)

Thoughts?

• Like 1

You need a simple, effective spiritual practice to supplement these physical practices. Here's a simple and effective invocation before you do these practices.

Lift your hands in the air and say:

The divine one, please enlighten me.

The divine one, please guide me

The divine one, please protect me.

This may seem to simple. But simple is efficacious. People do not know how far one can take these direct, sincere prayers. If you do it on a daily basis, you can fill the room with silver light with your refined energy.

I don't mean to question you, but doesn't asking the 'divine one' imply that you are separate from source? Perhaps you don't believe that all things are one, that however is not for me to question.

Do all spiritual practices begin and end with invocations? Is working with your Qi to open up your energy channels - especially the third eye - not a spiritual practice in itself?

I'm trying to get an idea for what you consider a spiritual practice. That is all.

Edited by Celestial

I was wondering the same thing, since I kind of consider my zhan zhuang to be a spiritual practice. But I guess it depends on intention. If i'm just standing there, there may not be much spiritual about it.

What really kick started my cultivation a little over a year ago was the book Be Here Now. It's pretty simple and basic, kind of an "introduction to spirituality", but I'm finding that it really helps me a lot. He's more on the Indian side of things than Chinese, and so he talks about yoga. He doesn't just say to "do yoga and here are some poses". He mentions that each pose should be a prayer to a higher being (of which you yourself count), and other things to keep in mind as you do each pose.

I've been working, when I can remember :) , to "develop the witness". Stepping outside myself and seeing myself doing things, but being un-attached, just an observer. Not "doing" anything, just observing myself do things. I'm not very good at it yet, but it's an interesting sensation...

After this, you should disperse the energy to reservoir channels. If you are a beginner, you do this with qigong or gentle physical movements like slow walking while swinging your arms, spontaneous movement, or massage patterns-- you make sure energy is distributed well throughout your body and limbs. Moving water does not go stale.

If you have opened your other channels, you can do this through sitting meditation. In fact, meditation is more effective, just more advanced. Here you let go of your intention, and let the energy run out of the dan-tien spontaneously through the channels you've opened. As the energy runs, you become an observer in your meditation. The more energy you have, the easier it is to play this role. If you opened the leg channels, the energy will rush through the inner thigh, go to the sole, and look back up by way of the outer leg. Then it'll swoop up and down to completely the MCO. This loop will run indefinitely. This is the outer circulation, and it feels like you are energy surfing. You'll find that the bodily energetic center has a mind of its own. Let that mind work.

This is, in fact, the safest and effective meditation method: the do nothing and watch approach. But most people can't stick to this unless they can tangibly feel the energy. So it takes a while to develop this meditation way of circulating energy. Your channels must be completely open for one to stick to it.

It's best to use gentle physical movement to disperse the energy in the beginning, as you continue to build enough energy to circulate.

Could you also describe your energy dispersment as that it may feel like you are "radiating" energy as you "watch"?

:)

Develop sincerity

IMO that is the most important word in that entire post. Prayer has been a key practice for me and has been very powerful. Good stuff.

He mentions that each pose should be a prayer to a higher being (of which you yourself count), and other things to keep in mind as you do each pose.

I have never heard that before and i do Yoga every morning, its something that i'll start to apply. Thanks :)

-My 2 cents, Peace

Fair enough.

So when you say these invocations are they said aloud or silently in your mind?

I would recommend saying them aloud as this acts as a sort of "bio-feedback" device. You will hear whether you speak them with confidence or not and as your confidence grows you will feel your body vibrate with the invocation.

Compare doing it both ways and notice how your body and Being feels.

IMO that is the most important word in that entire post. Prayer has been a key practice for me and has been very powerful. Good stuff.

I have never heard that before and i do Yoga every morning, its something that i'll start to apply. Thanks :)

-My 2 cents, Peace

If I remember, I'll find the section that talks about it and email you more description of what he actually says, if you're interested.

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing, since I kind of consider my zhan zhuang to be a spiritual practice. But I guess it depends on intention. If i'm just standing there, there may not be much spiritual about it.

What really kick started my cultivation a little over a year ago was the book Be Here Now. It's pretty simple and basic, kind of an "introduction to spirituality", but I'm finding that it really helps me a lot. He's more on the Indian side of things than Chinese, and so he talks about yoga. He doesn't just say to "do yoga and here are some poses". He mentions that each pose should be a prayer to a higher being (of which you yourself count), and other things to keep in mind as you do each pose.

I've been working, when I can remember :) , to "develop the witness". Stepping outside myself and seeing myself doing things, but being un-attached, just an observer. Not "doing" anything, just observing myself do things. I'm not very good at it yet, but it's an interesting sensation...

Edited by thetaoiseasy
  • Like 1

That's actually a perfect description. You let go and let the energy do its own thing. The energy feels like its both internal and external.

Could you also describe your energy dispersment as that it may feel like you are "radiating" energy as you "watch"?

In my practice, spiritual development is always the final outcome and goal. Spiritual development has to do with connecting with the sky, divinity, virtue, holiness, and all good things in this world.

This was an interesting nugget for me to contemplate this morning.......understanding what you are looking for on the path is important....if you are even looking for anything?........for me personally i feel that having the simple goal of Emptiness is very worthwhile......and also something that "clicked" with me.

Its been my experience that all great attributes/virtue like compassion, wisdom, love....etc....cannot be cultivated.....but emerge from emptiness or a state of Naturalness/Being.

If I remember, I'll find the section that talks about it and email you more description of what he actually says, if you're interested.

For sure send me a PM

-My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

The more empty you are, the more energy you receive.

emptiness<-->energy. The arrows are double-headed.

Indeed, it is a mind twister, my understanding of these things will continue to deepen i imagine. This conversation reminds me of the Tree, we descend like a bolt of lighting then we have to ride the Middle pillar right back up the cosmos. :lol:

-My 2 cents, Peace

From nothing, pure positive energy was generated. This energy is called "the generating energy that created heaven and earth." When we seek wisdom and compassion with sincerity and align with this positive energy of this universe, we can ride this energy back to the emptiness, the origin of the universe. That's my experience. The more positive energy you have, the easier it is to reach a state of emptiness. The more empty you are, the more energy you receive.

emptiness<-->energy. The arrows are double-headed.

Thank you very much for sharing. You are a gifted teacher.

Emptiness (Buddhism) can be a very challenging and seems to carry with more than what you are describing above. Rather than emptiness, would it make sense instead to use the word "clarity". As we "let go" of issues/obstructions, the energy flows more freely.

Clarity <==> energy

Would not the understanding of true emptiness require that one "realize" fully that they are also the energy?

I know Buddhism has an extensive elaboration of emptiness and describes the thousands of paths to get there. To be honest, I'm no scholar. I can only speak from experience.

The experience I speak of is the desired state of meditation. Nothing (emptiness) and something (energy) are both conceptions for the convenience of the mind. In fact, they are the same thing. Only when we have a dualistic mind do we make the separation.

Deep meditation states allow you to break from this duality. You experience the generation of something from nothing, and nothing from something. Yin creates Yang, Yang creates Yin. In a moment of "clarity" you cannot tell which came first, which is generating which. You suddenly cannot tell something and nothing apart. You feel so full, yet so empty. In other words, you develop a type of double vision. You have been given you a glimpse of how the universe was created.

Yet the moment you "wake up" and define what you're observing, it becomes something again. If there's something, there's nothing as well. Dualism is created again.

So we don't need to define that something or think too much. We experience it, and move on.

I enjoy reading your posts in this thread; you have a knack for teaching! I don't have anything to add or ask - Just wanted you to know how much I smile when I read this material. Keep up the good work, and don't let it get to your head :)

• Like 1

Hi Thetaoiseasy

I have another question, I humbly request you could shed some light on.

I am interested in art, and am also using it as a method to live in society without being ordered around in a slave like job for 50 hours a week, as I feel I am fairly sensitive. Also I like to show others some things I feel they could benefit from in a neutral way (which doesnt annoy peoples egos), granted I am no garandmaster, but I still feel there is some wisdom in me...

I am interested in Essence Painting and Visionary/symbolic/Psychadelic art, that is art that relates a message/meaning or lots of great energy. I have a friend who sells her essence paintings for a decent amount, and while I am not interested in being super rich or powerful (although to some degree these are concepts and I already am), I do want to support myself somewhat and also so I can learn somethings and set up some projects that can benefit others (I would like to think) Anyways If someone of high energy spending lots of time in cultivation makes a spontaneous painting what is the effect of their painting (their mood?) does it send energy, would it be useful to project energy onto the painting with my hand for say 20 minutes after while being in a good state. I dont want to say I have good energy as that is a bit arragant but surely it can at least be cultivated even more....Also do the energy of the paintings depend on ones current mood in time eg a painting one week might be done at a time of deep relxation, another painting may be more confused.

I would really appreciate you shedding some light on these topics..

Cheers

Sinan

Edited by sinansencer