Sign in to follow this  
Aaron

Compassion, Peace, and Vicious Dogs

Would a compassionate person feel the need to own a vicious dog?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Would a compassionate person feel the need to own a vicious dog?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if they were really small like a chihuahua or poodle

I wanted to mention an experience that happened to me today, because it had to do with a 'vicious' dog. I was riding the guy who is letting me live with him's bike and a pit bull came out and trotted by me, I passed him by about 30 feet and he suddenly turned and barreled right towards me growling. I thought I was going to be bitten so I sped up and right in front of me I saw a labrador mix-breed come out and run towards me, I thought it was a pack ready to attack me, but instead he ran past me and charged at the pit bull which was only a few feet away from me by then. The pit bull stopped and started to run away and I made my escape. I really don't care whether the pit bull is a vicious breed or not, all I care about is that someone let it out to roam around the neighborhood and I nearly got bit by it. I'm thankful that the labrador came to my rescue, and I'm certain now that it's intent was to protect me from the other dog, for whatever reason. I'm not a dog, so I can't tell you why, though I know there are many breeds that have been known to save people they don't know, just because they have a loyalty instilled in them, maybe that dog was one of them?

Anyways the point made in the Peace thread is a valid one and we can continue to talk about it over there, but for the sake of not sidelining that thread over that one point, I decided to move the topic here. Sorry if that was presumptuous.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

the point made in the Peace thread is a valid one ..

I don't know what the pt was in the other thread, but the idea that came to my head upon reading this thread's title was that even people devoted to compassion & peace need to learn to deal effectively w/ "vicious dogs".

• Like 1

Spirituality has no rules. If a "vicious" dog is necessary for protection - then it would be appropriate.

My mom likes to walk her little foo foo dogs around. I'm going to look into buying her some mace....I keep forgetting - but this thread reminded me.

• Like 1

"Would a compassionate person feel the need to own a vicious dog?"

Yes, there are good reasons which people may not immediately consider...for instance, if the dog was abandoned and needed an owner that could care for it.

Not an easy question to answer as there are too many variables imo.

Pitbulls are by nature very selective with their aggression, and this is, generally speaking, directed only to other dogs, hardly to humans. According to dog behaviorists, pitbulls make terrible guard dogs because they go all soft and playful with humans, but not so with other animals -- however, they usually only get aggressive with whichever dog in the pack which they deem to be a competition, and not with the whole pack. And my experience with the breed tells me this is a correct assessment.

I had three dogs, two of which are classified as 'strong breeds' meaning they could stand their ground when challenged. One was a pitbull and the other a Staffordshire bull terrier -- the third is a total softie devoid of any aggressiveness. The pit never got along with the staff, and he was always distressed when they were in the same space. Funny thing is the staff was cool with him being around, and in fact, rather enjoyed his company at the start cos all he wants to do is to have a buddy to play with, and that was the main reason we got the pit in the first place. We thought they would enjoy each other's boisterousness since the third dog is so laid back she never wants to engage in any strenuous activities at all.

Whats amazing to have observed was his behavior in the softie's presence... he was all pliant and affectionate, as with my partner and me, but the moment the staff is on the scene, he changes, gets all cautious, with ears pricked back, as if preparing for a showdown. They were in 3 fights, with the last one being the most serious -- the staff was quite hurt, and i got some nasty bites on my hands when attempting to separate them. If not for intervening, the staff could well have been in dire straits. After this, we knew we had to find a permanent solution to remedy the situation, and so we had to, with much sadness, return the pit to the breeder from whom we bought him as a pup about 4 months back. We had to do this to be fair to him and to the staff. We still miss him very much.

Is he vicious by nature? I would have to emphatically say no. I believe this with conviction, which is why i am actively involved with a couple of campaigns to educate people about so-called dangerous breeds. Its people's ignorance that are dangerous.

Good article here: http://www.pitbulllovers.com/pit-bull-temperament.html

"Please dont bully my breed? " -- http://www.dontbullymybreed.org/

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

groan, I kinda hate to see this topic popping up again.. can't resist.

I think the theory, if we get rid of vicious dog breeds people wouldn't get bitten, mauled and killed by dogs, is flawed.

I think it runs into the problem I call the Paradox of Prohibition paradigm. Where a seemingly common sense idea is flipped on its head by unintended consequences.

For example, one breed that's responsible for much biting is the German Shepherd. A person might call the police to discuss an idea to save childrens lives. They come in and say we need to get rid of all German Shepard. They hope the police will come on board, then tell them they'll have to kill all of their police dogs and if the police have pet German Shepards at home, they'll have to be killed too. I expect the police will show them the door. The military who often see their dogs are heroes will not be open to it either.

If they announce their plans and send out trucks to euthanize such dogs I don't think they'll get many people bringing their dogs to it. Look at the scope of the problem, there are by some estimates over 500,000 German Shepards in the U.S. If you made a law to destroy such dogs, it would unpopular, probably impossible.

If outlawed, people would hide their dogs, and such an animal without exercise goes neurotic. Others will let their dogs loose before letting them be killed, thus creating wild packs. No one would take them to a vet for rabies shots in fear of being outed.

I won't even go into taking dogs from the blind to be euthanized.

I think the problem is better solved through training, licensing and insurance. Dogs have to be licensed. Part of the licensing is required regulated training for some breeds. Training for the owner and dog of potentially dangerous breeds. Some breeds would also require a type of 'insurance' payment. The yearly payment would be a deterrent to people owning such dogs casually without acknowledging they could have potential problems. Money raised would go for canine education.

Not a perfect world, but a balance between freedom and responsibility.

• Like 1

Most dogs will be vicious if they are protecting their pack leader !

I own four dogs. Three Doberman and a Spaniel.

The Doberman are gentle, peaceful and loving. People who know Doberman will recognise that description. Mine love everyone. They are not aggressive at all, and certainly not vicious. The postman makes a special point of coming to visit, even if he has no letters for me, just so he can fuss them.

The Spaniel, a Welsh Springer, was a rescue dog, some five years ago. She is friendly to 'most' people, but very aggressive with other dogs. I put this down to whatever happened to her before I rescued her. She dominates the Doberman and gives them a terrible time.

I own the three Doberman because I survived an attempt on my life by a psychopath who objected to me being a healer. I lived in a country house, on its own, miles from anywhere. I was extremely vulnerable. Despite endless death threats the police would not act. Even after the attempted murder, they wouldn't act. Hence I bought two puppies, hoping that they would grow up quickly enough to protect me.

Three times she sent men to the house, after midnight, to attack me. Three times the presence of the Doberman saved my life.

Eventually, we found her partner was a senior police officer. Anti-corruption police came into the area to investigate, at least one, but probably more police officers were sacked, and since moving house, I have been safe. Will I ever be completely safe ? Doubtful.

What other options did I have ?

Dogs usually reflect their owners. Mine are gentle and loving, like myself. But when danger was present, they barked loudly, looked aggressive and saved my life.

I could have attempted to fight the three men on my own. A risky strategy, and one which would have caused me to commit violence, which I abhor in all forms, even for self defence.

Sending this terribly damaged and dangerous women peaceful and compassionate thoughts, which I do every day, sadly did not prevent her from making one attempt to murder me, and three attempts by her hirelings to murder me.

So I think any peaceful and compassionate person may need to own a dog. I would hate to own a vicious dog. But as I said, any dog can be vicious if its protecting its owner.

Is he vicious by nature? I would have to emphatically say no. I believe this with conviction, which is why i am actively involved with a couple of campaigns to educate people about so-called dangerous breeds. Its people's ignorance that are dangerous.

Decided to go into town today,...every local newspaper had a headline:

Pit Bull Advocate mulled to death by his dog.

So much for the fallacy that people's are at fault for the actions vicious breeds.

Clifford Wright was watering his garden when his loving pit bull riped him apart. When are people going to get it?

The State of Maryland recently declared that pit bulls and pit bull hybrids are "inherently dangerous." At least one in 50 States are finally reading the facts.

While it's true that there are only around 50 or so deaths by pit bulls per years,...which for conservatives with fear problems is acceptable colladeral damage,...far worse IMO are the thousands who are mamed by vicious breeds. (Each year, more than 350,000 dog bite victims are seen in emergency rooms,...another acceptable number, except in Maryland).

Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities).

NO Compassionate Person could own a pit bull or vicious breed. To do so would be worse than operating a Day Care for kids, while leaving loaded firearms throughout.

Studies (based on real facts) have shown that pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides.

http://pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm

NO Compassionate Person could own a pit bull or vicious breed. To do so would be worse than operating a Day Care for kids, while leaving loaded firearms throughout.

It's obviously not worse than that. :wacko:

For example, one breed that's responsible for much biting is the German Shepherd. A person might call the police to discuss an idea to save childrens lives. They come in and say we need to get rid of all German Shepard. They hope the police will come on board, then tell them they'll have to kill all of their police dogs and if the police have pet German Shepards at home, they'll have to be killed too. I expect the police will show them the door. The military who often see their dogs are heroes will not be open to it either.

The Shepard may be a hero for cops and the militia, but it is terror for others.

If Americans would Trust In Love,...instead of their murderous, pro-slavery, vacillant, petty, racist, conditional God. And amazingly, a God who is so insecure, that it demands to be worshiped, obeyed and prayed to,...there would be no need for cops and militia.

Tell the Tea Party,...look at all the tax savings Love would manfest.

So much for the fallacy that people's are at fault for the actions vicious breeds.

Clifford Wright was watering his garden when his loving pit bull riped him apart. When are people going to get it?

The State of Maryland recently declared that pit bulls and pit bull hybrids are "inherently dangerous." At least one in 50 States are finally reading the facts.

While it's true that there are only around 50 or so deaths by pit bulls per years,...which for conservatives with fear problems is acceptable colladeral damage,...far worse IMO are the thousands who are mamed by vicious breeds. (Each year, more than 350,000 dog bite victims are seen in emergency rooms,...another acceptable number, except in Maryland).

Studies indicate that pit bull-type dogs were involved in approximately a third of human DBRF (i.e., dog bite related fatalities).

Studies (based on real facts) have shown that pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes were responsible for 65% of the canine homicides.

http://pit-bulls.christianfunfair.org/attacks.htm

Odds of being struck by lightning in the USA (est total deaths + injuries) - 1 in 775,000

For reported deaths + injuries, the odds are 1 in 1,000,000

A person is 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than to be killed by a dog of any breed.

Breaking it down further, the odds of being killed by a pit bull is approximately 1 in 145,000,000

A person in the land of the free is 4 times more likely to be killed by a cow than any breed of dog, much less a pit bull.

These are facts. If you will bother your ass, do a search, and stop MULLING over your agenda based on sensationalizing untruths.

MULLed to death... indeed. He was perhaps ripe too. :wacko:

• Like 2

Odds of being struck by lightning in the USA (est total deaths + injuries) - 1 in 775,000

For reported deaths + injuries, the odds are 1 in 1,000,000

A person is 6 times more likely to be struck by lightning than to be killed by a dog of any breed.

Breaking it down further, the odds of being killed by a pit bull is approximately 1 in 145,000,000

A person in the land of the free is 4 times more likely to be killed by a cow than any breed of dog, much less a pit bull.

These are facts. If you will bother your ass, do a search, and stop MULLING over your agenda based on sensationalizing untruths.

MULLed to death... indeed. He was perhaps ripe too. :wacko:

Facts are not about making up your own facts. LOL

Wiki says:

It may have happened to you before: you're walking or cycling through the neighborhood when suddenly an unfamiliar dog crosses your path. The dog begins barking, growling; maybe it even charges you. So much for man's best friend. Even small dogs can be threatening if they're worked up, and just about any dog can inflict a painful bite. In the US alone, nearly 5 million people are attacked by dogs every year, and 1,000 people go to emergency rooms every day as a result of a dog attack; many of them are children, and about half of them have been bitten in the face. If a dog attacks you or your child, your response can be the difference between walking away unharmed or being injured by the dog, and perhaps even be the difference between life and death.

I'm not a math person, but to me that says 1 in 60 Americans are attacked by a dog(s) every year,...thus, in the last 10 years, over 50,000,000 Americans have been attacked by dogs.

The NOAA says the odds of getting struck by lightning are 1 in 8,987,657. But for most part is avoidable.

There is NO similarity between getting attacked by a vicious breed and getting hit by lightning,...any suggestion otherwise is absurd.

NO Compassionate person would own a vicious dog breed,...just as no compassionate person would own lightning.

There will be no PEACE ON EARTH,...No Shambhala,...as long as people own vicious dog breeds.

http://pit-bulls.chr...org/attacks.htm

For a second I thought you were talking about the pregnant woman from last year who was apparently killed in her sleep by an adopted pit bull. She was an advocate and ran some organization, I can't remember the name.

Well I guess statistically speaking you're much more likely to be killed by a pit bull as a pit bull advocate, then you are to be struck by lightning... who would've known?

Aaron

• Like 1

I was actually bitten by a german sheppard when I was nine. My parents had just gotten the dog a few months earlier. My mom asked me to get the food bowl to feed it, I ran out and went to grab it and it bit me on the hand. Hurt like hell. My parent's got rid of the dog the next day, but I was left with a phobia of dogs up until about 3 years ago.

I think most people don't understand the damage a dog can do. If I had children, there would be no way I'd have a large dog around them. Lets be honest, regardless of where you live, at least once a month you hear some story about someone in the area being attacked by a dog, but you never hear them being struck by lightening. I'm thinking that may be an illogical comparison, unless of course it's a liberal media cover up.

Aaron

edit- Also, if Pit Bulls are no more dangerous than any other dog, why does the CDC say they're the most common dog involved in fatal attacks? Hmm... that must mean that there are lots of different dogs involved in fatal attacks, but maybe they just inched out the poodle? Who knows?

"there would be no need for cops and militia."

:) that would be great. one better , might be, happy pit bulls freely roaming , friendly barking and much happy tail wagging.

some would suggest that we live in a dangerous world.

crisischaracter.jpg

peacecharacter.jpg

• Like 1

The Shepard may be a hero for cops and the militia, but it is terror for others.

If Americans would Trust In Love,...instead of their, conditional God. And amazingly, a God who is so insecure, that it demands to be worshiped, obeyed and prayed to,...there would be no need for cops and militia.

Tell the Tea Party,...look at all the tax savings Love would manfest.

Not sure why you bring up the Tea party on so many threads, but don't care either, its just odd.

Ultimately peace must come from within. Less fear, more lovetrust. Don't allow yourself to be terrorized by Shepards. Be smart, even wary, but living with so much fear is counter productive (again around 500,000 German shepards in US). Detesting people is also bad and takes a toll on one's soul. If you live in the U.S and you think everyone around you is.. murderous, pro-slavery, vacillant, petty, racist, then you're going to be real unhappy and nothing will give you peace (& the reality is we may be petty, but not murderous, pro-slavery..whoops getting off subject)

Back on track, if you're compassionate before you own a German Shepard then you don't lose it when you buy one. Ownership doesn't make you a better or worse person. It's how you treat others (& the dog) that expresses your heart.

People is people, most of them are pretty good if you give them half a chance. Dogs is dogs, lotta love and loyalty possible in all breeds. People murder, dogs bite, still..peace is our birth rite. Don't make it conditional on a perfect world. Find it dogs, people and all.

Edited by thelerner

Back on track, if you're compassionate before you own a German Shepard then you don't lose it when you buy one. Ownership doesn't make you a better or worse person. It's how you treat others (& the dog) that expresses your heart.

You're just not seeing it,...NO Compassionate person would own a vicious breed,...because a Compassionate person would understand that regardless of the protective measure he would take,...the animal presents a clear, and unpredictable danger to others.

Put your fallacies ("It's how you treat others (& the dog) that expresses your heart.") in context with the Santa Fe pit bull advocate mulled to death by his favorite dog the other day while watering his plants.

Intelligent, fact-based articles (NOT those fouling on sensationalization) to help Vmarco be more well-informed:

http://www.oppapers.com/essays/Rebuttal/813909

http://for-the-pits.blogspot.com/2009/04/correlation-does-not-mean-causation.html

http://bullynation.org/the-pit-bull/myths-facts/

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/tallahassee-fl/T456CUP8PTCJMMVVG (read the comments!!!)

http://www.realpitbull.com/ps.html

http://companionanimalsolutions.com/blogs/are-pit-bulls-inherently-dangerous/

and there are innumerable other write-ups and articles which educates people and eradicate ignorance about so-called 'dangerous breeds' -- if only people are not so fixated on, and comfortable with, their own conditioned responses.

Wise up.

Intelligent, fact-based articles (NOT those fouling on sensationalization) to help Vmarco be more well-informed:

and there are innumerable other write-ups and articles which educates people and eradicate ignorance about so-called 'dangerous breeds' -- if only people are not so fixated on, and comfortable with, their own conditioned responses.

Wise up.

It's like arguing with a Tea Party Patriot,...using webstites that make up their own facts to support their own beliefs. A good, loving owner doesn't make a good, loving vicious dog,...as shown again in my County Seat the other day when a good, loving Pit Bull advocate was mulled to death while water his garden by his loving pit bull.

I wish more so-called loving, vicious breed advocates are mulled to death by their loving pets,....even if it saves just one child from the terror of being attacked by the dogs of these owners.

If I had my way,...any owner of a vicious breed, whose dog terrorized anyone, would be held legally accountable in a way that at least equalled the terror that their vicious breed inflicted.

No Compassionate person would own or support vicious dog breeds.

Edited by Vmarco

If I had my way,...any owner of a vicious breed, whose dog terrorized anyone, would be held legally accountable in a way that at least equalled the terror that their vicious breed inflicted.

Thank GOD you aren't in charge of anything. :lol: Freakin' bodhisattvas.

• Like 4

After the original owner abandoned the animal and then got thrown in prison, several friends of mine adopted a female pit bull. She's one of the nicest dogs I've ever interacted with, always coming up to me and licking my face when I visit. She even puts up with a younger dog who tries to play fight with her, responding calmly and never with anger.

But, since she's one of those profane evil breeds, I guess I need to inform the owners that they aren't compassionate and are bared from the enlightenment club. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I would get a dog just to protect it from you insane soccer moms who want to kill everything that bites

• Like 1

The problem with the vicious breeds of dogs is that they're bred for temperament, so they can be friendly and nice and playful, but when something happens that clicks that violent instinct they react. What you hear time and time again is that the dog that killed the child, elderly man, pregnant woman, etc. was not a "bad" dog, but friendly and well behaved. The issue is that the dogs are bred to dominate those they view as being weaker than them. Their behavior isn't the same as say a saint bernard or golden retriever.

These dogs were originally used for violent purposes, guarding homes, hunting animals, etc. but in some cases they were bred to fight, and they were bred to do this for CENTURIES, not just recently. Trying to domesticate these dogs is incredibly risky, because it would require many generations of breeding them with other dogs with mild temperaments.

Evidence of this phenomena can be seen in the breeding of Doberman pincshcers in the United States, compared to their European counterparts. The American Dobermans tend to be calmer and less prone to aggression. This only occurred after their demand as a work dog lessened and they became a popular pet. Breeders made a concerted effort to breed them for their disposition, which eventually led to the disparity in temperament in the breed between the two continents. With that said, even today they are not recommended for families with children.

The most successful methods for training these types of dogs has to do with dominance, ensuring that the owner is considered the pack leader. The problem is that someone who is physically disadvantaged, such as a child, is not seen as a pack leader in these environments, but rather as an equal, hence the propensity for attacks on children. In the same way, the elderly and sick can lack the physical strength needed to project this dominant position, hence the reason you hear of many attacks on the elderly, pregnant women, and sick. In fact many times when the rescue workers arrive at the scene of one of these attacks, the dogs are not violent towards them, because they view the individual's confident demeanor and physical strength as a sign of dominance.

The continued advocacy of certain breeds of dogs as holding no more threat to the public, than say a labrador retriever, is not only irresponsible, but untrue, and is most often professed by owners and breeders. The scientific community time and time again has found this not to be true, and most responsible breeders refuse to sell these dogs to families with small children, in many cases for fear of legal responsibility if the dog should attack a child.

Being aware of these things, one could say that a compassionate person could own a vicious dog breed, but also it would be highly unlikely that they would own one if they were educated about these dogs and knew it would put others in danger. For instance if you live next to a playground or elementary school owning a vicious dog breed would be highly irresponsible, because there is no way you can be one-hundred percent certain that the dog will not get out and pose a risk to someone. Remember this has nothing to do with training, but rather bred behavioral temperament and instinct. The most well-behaved pit-bull still poses a significant threat to those it does not view as a pack leader, especially if the pack leader is not present to reign in those instincts.

Aaron

edit- Something else to keep in mind is that simply positioning one's self as the pack leader through the use of dominance and punishment is not necessarily removing the violent traits within a dog, but rather suppressing them. This is one of the reasons many noted trainers disagree with trainers like Cesar Millan who use these methods, because the use of choke chains is only forcing the dog into submission, not actually treating the behavior. Even supplemented with behavioral training, the fact that the dog has been bred to react instinctually to certain stimuli means that they will remain a risk, regardless of the amount of training they receive.

Edited by Twinner

I just wanted to mention that I read C T's recommended reading for VMarco, then went and read the other things I could find on the internet, and I would like to say I'm somewhat informed now and what I know scares the shit out of me. Pit bulls are a freaking deadly dog.

Facts that scared me-

1) Pit Bulls and rottweilers account for around 75% of all FATAL dog attacks in the United States alone. Hybrid Wolves account for up to 18%. (For those who want the actual breakdown, this adds up to around 64% of all fatal attacks by Pit Bulls (and hybrid pit bulls), 18% by hybrid wolves, 11 percent by rottweilers, and 7% by other dog breeds).

2) Pit Bulls and other fighting dogs are bred so they do not telegraph their attack. In other words they may be getting agitated and ready to attack, but you can't tell until they've already gone into attack mode.

3) Pit Bulls have such strong jaws they can literally crush bone. The reason their attacks are so dangerous is because they attack much like a shark, gripping something then shaking it. It's the vicious nature of this attack that causes most people to die, most often from a severed artery. In other words, don't worry about the size of the dog, a 6 month old pit bull can quite easily kill an adult male.

4) Pit Bulls got their name from their intended job, which was to fight in pits. Prior to 1835 they were commonly used in gambling halls to attack bulls (which is where the bull in their name comes from). They would send a pack of dogs into the arena and bet how long it would take for them to kill the bull. In 1835 they banned this practice in England, but still allowed rat baiting and dog fighting, which is why they started to breed the characteristics that made for a good fighting dog, no-telegraph attacks, locking jaws, and shake attacks.

5) The majority of attacks on children occur when the child comes into contact with a dog he or she has not met before. Experts on both sides of the issue advise that under no circumstances should anyone with children expose their children to a pit bull, especially not one they don't know.

The fact that you find very few breeders that recommend the pit bull as a family dog, tells me something is up with this breed. There are only a few other breeds that receive this type of warning and none of them with the same vehemence from both advocates and opponents as the Pit Bull does (the rottweiler is a close second).

In closing, I don't care how kind, loving, happy, and "good" a pit bull is, knowing these characteristics about the dog tells me that anyone that is compassionate, that is aware of these things, would most likely think twice before ever selecting a vicious dog as a pet.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Sign in to follow this