DalTheJigsaw123

Yoga Is A Sex Cult!

The problem isn't the act of sex itself...but the fact that the teacher was preaching about being celibate and telling his students they should do the same when he was actually involved with a number of his students.

He was talking the talk but not walking the walk. He didn't have to preach about being celibate or be celibate but he did so and therefore there is a level of responsibility on his end to be consistent with his own teachings.

Which teacher are we talking about? There are several listed in the article.

In my opinion the teacher teaches what he/she thinks is best for his/her students to attain self-realization, that doesn't mean that the teacher needs to follow the same strict guidelines. If a teacher has attained self-realization/enlightenment then all boxes are open, no guidelines or restrictions exist. We that are unenlightened should be grateful that the teacher is even teaching. The fact that these people are being put down by there own students is ridiculous and goes to show they were never there seeking in the first place; instead it's more like they decided they wanted to feel like "good" people so why not belong to a spiritual group. Everyone must be a "good" person if they are involved in spirituality right?

Edited by don_vedo

That article has a ridiculous amount of spin and assumptions.

SEX IS BAD, TANTRA IS A CULT, HATHA IS FROM TANTRA SO IT MUST BE A CULT, CULTS ARE BAD.

Then he backs it up with examples of other 'gurus' that are bad.

I imagine we should be appalled.

It seems like you and others read an entirely different article than I did. I thought it was almost entirely accurate, as someone who has practiced and studied yoga and tantra for over a decade! I guess everyone just interprets things differently sometimes.

It seems like you and others read an entirely different article than I did. I thought it was almost entirely accurate, as someone who has practiced and studied yoga and tantra for over a decade!

As someone who has been practicing tantra for over 10 years, i'd love to hear your take on it.

It seems like you and others read an entirely different article than I did. I thought it was almost entirely accurate, as someone who has practiced and studied yoga and tantra for over a decade! I guess everyone just interprets things differently sometimes.

And what did you think of the response Dainin posted?

I thought that this article was a pretty good response:

Please Join My Tantric Yoga Sex Cult

Edited by Creation

Come to think of it, I found these much more informative

http://bayshakti.com/what-is-shiva-shakti-tantra-did-john-friend-make-it-up

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/sex-and-yoga-again-a-broad-and-distorted-view-of-yoga-history/

They were linked to in the article Dainin posted, which, after reading again, is much too flippant and sarcastic in tone to count as a serious rebuttal IMO.

Edited by Creation

Come to think of it, I found these much more informative

http://bayshakti.com/what-is-shiva-shakti-tantra-did-john-friend-make-it-up

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2012/02/sex-and-yoga-again-a-broad-and-distorted-view-of-yoga-history/

They were linked to in the article Dainin posted, which, after reading again, is much too flippant and sarcastic in tone to count as a serious rebuttal IMO.

Thanks for the links Creation.

Edited by don_vedo

The fundamental flaw in the article to me was the following.

The article correctly states, "Hatha originated as a way to speed the Tantric agenda." But the assumption the reader is left with from the rest of that article is that the "Tantric agenda" is intrinsically sexual. When in fact, sexual practices also originated as a way to speed the tantric agenda.

So it is not that Hatha was created for sexual purposes, but that both Hatha and the sexual practices that the article references were means to the same end.

Edited by Creation

It's not clear to me what is going on because if he is just teaching adults Yoga then surely he can have sex with as many people as he likes.

If he is being a guru in the guruyoga tantric tradition like you get in Tibet then it is wrong to do so because in that relationship you are meant to act more like a parent, but it sounds like this wasn't the case.

Actually and factually, this article is full of shit!

It is very evident that there is an agenda at work here. The so-called sexploits of these "Gurus" is about personalities and not the practice itself.

The first two limbs of Ashtanga calls for Yamas and Niyamas. If someone cannot even follow these two limbs, they have no freakin' business teaching others.

This is typical of the kind of crap that happens when people try to reduce Yoga to a set of forms and breathing techniques. Yoga is a comprehensive system that originated not as part of the Tantric tradition but as a practical embodiment of the Sankhya school of philosophy in India about 4000 years ago (probably earlier).

Yoga was devised so students could experientially realize Sankhya. As it evolved, it was observed that it also takes one beyond Sankhya and was thus made an effective means of embodying both Vedanta and Tantra (specifically the non-dual schools therein).

That the author has no background in Yoga is clear. The question is, why does the NYTimes elevate these sub-standard articles to such heights? If I was the editor of NYTimes, I would throw this article into the trash bin. However, I guess titillation and controversy does sell better than facts. Also, I suspect a different theological/religious agenda at work here (which could also include Post-modern Humanism).

As far as heightened senses go, yes, that is an early result of Yoga practice. Mature students convert this (the increased Ojas or Sexual energy aka Jing in Chinese) into Tejas (spiritual energy aka Shen). Without this, the student doesn't progress or grow...

• Like 3

Hi Dwai.

I think it muddles the discussion to insist that "yoga" mean's "the system codified in Patanjali's yoga sutras".

Buddhists were talking about yoga (e.g. the six yogas of Naropa) in a way that had nothing to do with Patanjali over a thousand years ago, and in modern Hinduism there is a common classification of yoga into four paths: bhakti, karma, jnana, and raja, only the latter being related to Patanjali's system.

Hatha yoga, the basis of the stuff taught in "yoga classes" in the West today, originated among Tantrics, in particular the Nath tradition. The practices in Patanjali's system focus on seated meditation, not inverted postures, nauli kriya, vajroli mudra, etc. like those practicing Hatha yoga do.

I don't mean to lecture you because I'm sure you know all this already. But like I said, why muddle the discussion by insisting on such a narrow definition of yoga, when the historical precedent is to do otherwise?

Edited by Creation

Actually and factually, this article is full of shit!

I disagree (I'm responding since you quoted me first).

It is very evident that there is an agenda at work here. The so-called sexploits of these "Gurus" is about personalities and not the practice itself.

There is some truth to that.

There's also a lot of truth to the idea that the yoga practice and culture promotes sexuality (keep in mind, that's not necessarily a bad thing).

The first two limbs of Ashtanga calls for Yamas and Niyamas. If someone cannot even follow these two limbs, they have no freakin' business teaching others.

Yet, they do! And that's one of the things this article is pointing out.

"Yoga" as we know it, isn't a bunch of spiritual people doing poses. It's a bunch of mostly unspiritual people doing spiritual poses. Yamas and Niyamas are considered and "believed in", but are they truly practiced? Do the yoga-ists who practice actually know the purpose for adhering to them?

This is typical of the kind of crap that happens when people try to reduce Yoga to a set of forms and breathing techniques.

Well, in the case of the Anusara guy, there was also "heart opening" practices being done. There was somewhat of a spiritual side to it, despite it being contrived...as is the case with most fitness styles of yoga. They retain an element of spiritual growth, and that's something the aspiring yogi looks for or accepts.

As we have seen with controversial spiritual gurus, Catholic priests with their young boys, now some yoga teachers who have a spiritual aspect...spirituality is a deep emotional thing. When you connect on a deep emotional level, it's easy to lose sight of what you're doing in the eyes of others. It's very easy to develop a sexual bond, since all of the typical boundaries are taken away.

It's not to say that the origin of Yoga is bad, or that the fitness styles of yoga are bad. People benefit from both. It's just pointing out the way things are.

And that is undeniably how things are, when you look at some of the individuals involved. And when you're honest about things....for instance, you should KNOW all of the straight guys in yoga class are turned on by the sexy yoga clothing that the girls are wearing. You should KNOW that a person in a position of power, such as a yoga teacher, is almost always attractive to the opposite sex. This stuff is joked around about a lot in popular culture...and comedy is always pointing to a truth.

Yoga is a comprehensive system that originated not as part of the Tantric tradition but as a practical embodiment of the Sankhya school of philosophy in India about 4000 years ago (probably earlier).

Yoga was devised so students could experientially realize Sankhya. As it evolved, it was observed that it also takes one beyond Sankhya and was thus made an effective means of embodying both Vedanta and Tantra (specifically the non-dual schools therein).

So there is an obvious connection to Tantra, regardless...

That the author has no background in Yoga is clear.

I disagree. It's obvious he knows at least a little bit!

The question is, why does the NYTimes elevate these sub-standard articles to such heights? If I was the editor of NYTimes, I would throw this article into the trash bin. However, I guess titillation and controversy does sell better than facts. Also, I suspect a different theological/religious agenda at work here (which could also include Post-modern Humanism).

Good points. But the article by itself isn't controversial. The responses of those who have an actual agenda (trying to protect their practice of yoga from criticism) makes it controversial. Yogaists need to chill out...actually utilize the yamas and niyamas!

As far as heightened senses go, yes, that is an early result of Yoga practice. Mature students convert this (the increased Ojas or Sexual energy aka Jing in Chinese) into Tejas (spiritual energy aka Shen). Without this, the student doesn't progress or grow...

More experienced people like yourself should be teaching. What you know about yoga, VERY FEW people know, including most of the prominent teachers of any style.

• Like 2

Okay, first off, i am going to channel my english teacher in here for a second:

Leon, great research, now let's hear your thoughts in the matter, why did you show us this link in the first place? You sure stirred the pot, but you havent added anything!

okay now, im reading it and i make it to "started out as a sex cult" and stopped abruptly. i dont see any reason to believe much of what is written beyond this point, and have come to question anything that has been said thus far as legit.

Fact of the matter is that anything dealing with higher spiritual influences can leave a person much more open to unconditional forms of love, which directly oppose many preconcepts of monogamy and certain traditional approaches to daily life, especially "westernally".

In my experience with what little of tantric i've read about and practiced, it's very humanistic in the instinctual terms, and transposes mind with experience, literally becoming the moment and not just observing it, analyzing it to no end (hehe, cant spell analyze without anal).

In my limited experience with yoga, it is only understandable that we're opening ourselves to something greater than tradition or religion, something beyond observation, that melds perfectly with experience.

Sure, we can learn a little from a book and teach others this, and we can even learn a lot from a yogi who has been taught by a true master of the art, but until we, ourselves, become masterful, i dont think we should expect or judge the practice, let alone act like we know what we're doing.

I know a significant amount of basics in yoga, taijiquan, qi gong, karate, judo, aikido, and philosophy, but i'll never rely on that to suggest i know anything significant about these subjects. Except philosophy :lol:

The article seems pretty ignorant, but it does have one good object that can stand to be addressed, and that's "buyer beware, enter at your own risk" :D

Yes i came across an interview with a very aged (just over 100) Alexandra David-Neel (unfortunately not in English) who spoke to this "Hatha yoga is not real yoga" idea. When she said "Hatha" she fair spat it out:-)

There've been numerous threads about "using" "sex" energy to kick off development. Numerous also about the idea that maintaining an immature sexuality is key to remaining un or underdeveloped as a human. It's also the one thing that IMO/IME can be counted on to "lead someone by the balls" (excuses for male-oriented phrasing, us girls have it just as bad but I suspect it plays out differently).

The articles were good.

I disagree (I'm responding since you quoted me first).

There is some truth to that.

There's also a lot of truth to the idea that the yoga practice and culture promotes sexuality (keep in mind, that's not necessarily a bad thing).

In the West maybe. That is not true in the rest of the world (and where its source is, in India). The reason why it is so is purely because of the way it has been marketed -- as a way to develop ones body. This overwhelming physicality is the root cause of this, not Yoga itself. Yoga is about Samadhi...that is the end goal of Yoga. Anyone who is teaching otherwise is not doing justice to themselves, their students and the Science of Yoga itself.

Yet, they do! And that's one of the things this article is pointing out.

"Yoga" as we know it, isn't a bunch of spiritual people doing poses. It's a bunch of mostly unspiritual people doing spiritual poses. Yamas and Niyamas are considered and "believed in", but are they truly practiced? Do the yoga-ists who practice actually know the purpose for adhering to them?

Again, I refer to my previous comment (see above)

Well, in the case of the Anusara guy, there was also "heart opening" practices being done. There was somewhat of a spiritual side to it, despite it being contrived...as is the case with most fitness styles of yoga. They retain an element of spiritual growth, and that's something the aspiring yogi looks for or accepts.

As we have seen with controversial spiritual gurus, Catholic priests with their young boys, now some yoga teachers who have a spiritual aspect...spirituality is a deep emotional thing. When you connect on a deep emotional level, it's easy to lose sight of what you're doing in the eyes of others. It's very easy to develop a sexual bond, since all of the typical boundaries are taken away.

Is it now? If the focus is not on physicality, the opening of the heart will lead to love (which sexual attraction is often mistaken for). Now, I'm saying I'm a saint or anything...there are countless other reasons why someone might cheat on a spouse or lover. If their yoga practice gives them an excuse to do so, then it's on them, not on Yoga. Most adults have the ability (and usually do) make conscious choices. It is not surprising that in a society that deifies the body and relationships not mean much in popular culture (ie what people see in the media, etc) that such things will happen. Note that I'm not judging here...I am merely making observations.

It's not to say that the origin of Yoga is bad, or that the fitness styles of yoga are bad. People benefit from both. It's just pointing out the way things are.

And that is undeniably how things are, when you look at some of the individuals involved. And when you're honest about things....for instance, you should KNOW all of the straight guys in yoga class are turned on by the sexy yoga clothing that the girls are wearing. You should KNOW that a person in a position of power, such as a yoga teacher, is almost always attractive to the opposite sex. This stuff is joked around about a lot in popular culture...and comedy is always pointing to a truth.

A yoga studio I used to go to had this in abundance...skimply clad beautiful girls...I admit it is distracting. But if you are focused on what you want to do (and have yamas/niyamas in your mind), these distractions can be overcome.

Everything here is addressed with one word -- MARKETING. If you sell Yoga as a way to look beautiful, tone your body, shape your butt, etc, that's what you will get. Toned bodies, shapely butts and people trying to strut around in skimpy clothes trying to look good. Trying making this argument to this guy ---

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxhlBqbzbSGre8GSGTGHAfAWPlQns5JEAbjjyIOQAvfpTnxAks

So there is an obvious connection to Tantra, regardless...

Sure there is. But as I have shown in a previous post (addressed to Creation), Tantra is not the main root of modern Yoga (or any yoga for that matter).

I disagree. It's obvious he knows at least a little bit!

Partial knowledge is potently poisonous!

Good points. But the article by itself isn't controversial. The responses of those who have an actual agenda (trying to protect their practice of yoga from criticism) makes it controversial. Yogaists need to chill out...actually utilize the yamas and niyamas!

Really? Is it so wrong to show the critics how they are misinformed, ill-educated and should be careful to not conflate things (as this author has done)? I don't think so!

More experienced people like yourself should be teaching. What you know about yoga, VERY FEW people know, including most of the prominent teachers of any style.

I am nobody...have no authority to teach anyone anything. I have the authority to voice my opinions based on my logic and background knowledge in the tradition. I would be equally forceful in my opinions if someone wrote similarly stupid drivel about Tai Chi or Taoism.

• Like 2

No. The point is that we only hear part of the story. Do we demonize a rock star for having sex with a groupy? No. So why are we stigmatizing and demonizing this man because he had sex with one of his groupies? The problem is that we have determined that sex between two adults is sinful and wrong and should only exist under certain conditions, when in fact there was nothing wrong or right about it, except for what the people involved decided. Now if he forced himself upon them, that's awful and something should be done about it, but if there was no force and it was consensual, and the only harm that occurred came when one side didn't receive as much attention as they wanted to, then who is at fault here?

Aaron

Firstly , a difference between having a shag with a rock star just for a sake of having a shag and this type of case is real and existing. This seem to be a case of false pretenses under the guise of spirituality. There is a difference between cooked potato and potato wedges and a rotten potato . Lets not make a potato porridge out of it all.

Demonising and stigmatising in my opinion are overly dramatic and inapropriate (could be a cultural thing , having been brought up in an atehist family and communist country) description of what is being discussed and what the case is all about.

Very often sex does not boil down just to - opening legs and sticking it in. There are many finer shades of being involved.

Being human beings we have emotions too, and emotional degaradation and/or abuse could be as or even more painful than physical abuse depending on a person.

It should not be instantly seperated and swept under the carpet, becouse of lack of reasoning or common sense . Or becouse a person is not being able to judge situation rightly and forsee the outcome. There is an element of hardness to it.

I believe in questioning, adressing and recgonising/bringing out this and similar issues (all issues and bothering actually) on individual and social level. Learning to deal and recgonise many finer shades of emotional and mental spectrum , it takes us deeper into our psyche on larger scale.

Edited by suninmyeyes

In the West maybe. That is not true in the rest of the world (and where its source is, in India). The reason why it is so is purely because of the way it has been marketed -- as a way to develop ones body. This overwhelming physicality is the root cause of this, not Yoga itself. Yoga is about Samadhi...that is the end goal of Yoga. Anyone who is teaching otherwise is not doing justice to themselves, their students and the Science of Yoga itself.

Just like to frame this as an important reminder.

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Sometimes the messenger needs to be shot :)

He didn't just have sex with one of his groupies

It was not an isolated case.

I dodge your shots with my ancient kung fu prowess! Haieyee! ph34r.gif

Hehehe... just kidding.

I know that, even so they weren't naive innocent lost lambs manipulated into doing something they didn't want to, at least I don't believe that to be so. What happened is that they were attracted to him, had sex with him, didn't receive what they wanted from him and decided to come out against him.

I'll tell you this much, this is the exact reason why religion, and believe me yoga is a religion, stinks so much. If you don't like people using religion to influence others sexuality, then be done with religion and it wont happen anymore. If you're not willing or ready to do that, then expect this to be just a small sentence in a very long chapter.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

Firstly , a difference between having a shag with a rock star just for a sake of having a shag and this type of case is real and existing. This seem to be a case of false pretenses under the guise of spirituality. There is a difference between cooked potato and potato wedges and a rotten potato . Lets not make a potato porridge out of it all.

Demonising and stigmatising in my opinion are overly dramatic and inapropriate (could be a cultural thing , having been brought up in an atehist family and communist country) description of what is being discussed and what the case is all about.

Very often sex does not boil down just to - opening legs and sticking it in. There are many finer shades of being involved.

Being human beings we have emotions too, and emotional degaradation and/or abuse could be as or even more painful than physical abuse depending on a person.

It should not be instantly seperated and swept under the carpet, becouse of lack of reasoning or common sense . Or becouse a person is not being able to judge situation rightly and forsee the outcome. There is an element of hardness to it.

I believe in questioning, adressing and recgonising/bringing out this and similar issues (all issues and bothering actually) on individual and social level. Learning to deal and recgonise many finer shades of emotional and mental spectrum , it takes us deeper into our psyche on larger scale.

So who's abusing who? Did they say he led them on and told them that he was going to be their one and only? I don't think so. I think what they wanted and what they got were two different things. Blame the man all you want, but really it's society's fault. We can examine this on the personal level as well, but the fact of the matter is the society's expectations regarding sex is very much a part of this.

As I said to Mythmaker, I'll say to you, religion has been used to manipulate and abuse people for as long as its been around. Whether it's Buddhist (and Taoist) monks abusing boys in monasteries, Catholic priests abusing choir boys, Muslim imams abusing students, or Mormon ministers fostering polygamy, the fact of the matter is that sexuality is a very human thing and denying it is the root cause of these types of "sins". The most deviant man you will find is the most righteous, because he is denying the very nature that makes him who he is. One cannot overcome their own nature by denying it, rather they must accept it and face it, then they can learn to live with it. So long as the world's answer to this problem is piety expect more of the same, just don't complain every time it happens and blame the person, rather blame the institution that allowed it to happen and that, my dear Suninmyeyes, is religion.

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

So who's abusing who? Did they say he led them on and told them that he was going to be their one and only? I don't think so. I think what they wanted and what they got were two different things. Blame the man all you want, but really it's society's fault. We can examine this on the personal level as well, but the fact of the matter is the society's expectations regarding sex is very much a part of this.

As I said to Mythmaker, I'll say to you, religion has been used to manipulate and abuse people for as long as its been around. Whether it's Buddhist (and Taoist) monks abusing boys in monasteries, Catholic priests abusing choir boys, Muslim imams abusing students, or Mormon ministers fostering polygamy, the fact of the matter is that sexuality is a very human thing and denying it is the root cause of these types of "sins". The most deviant man you will find is the most righteous, because he is denying the very nature that makes him who he is. One cannot overcome their own nature by denying it, rather they must accept it and face it, then they can learn to live with it. So long as the world's answer to this problem is piety expect more of the same, just don't complain every time it happens and blame the person, rather blame the institution that allowed it to happen and that, my dear Suninmyeyes, is religion.

Aaron

Totally agree that religion is used to manipulate people, among other purposes too and am not religious at all myself . I do continue to draw inspiration from some religious thought sometimes and find it important to discriminate between what is what and what is not.

What I am saying is lets not put everything under the same label and lets not dehumanise ourselves in the name of being free of morals.

Learning to treat each other right is so important . Being a simply warm hearted person.

Blaming the society can often be unproductive as the real change starts from each and every human.

Edited by suninmyeyes

Totally agree that religion is used to manipulate people, among other purposes too and am not religious at all myself . I do continue to draw inspiration from some religious thought sometimes and find it important to discriminate between what is what and what is not.

What I am saying is lets not put everything under the same label and lets not dehumanise ourselves in the name of being free of morals.

Learning to treat each other right is so important . Being a simply warm hearted person.

Blaming the society can often be unproductive as the real change starts from each and every human.

You're absolutely right here. My point is that morality is to blame because it presents this idea of right and wrong and encourages people to suppress who they really are, which invariably results in deviancy. I keep saying that the best way to live is to simply, "do no harm to yourself or to others." If you can do this, then morality has no purpose. It can really be that simple, but it seems people don't want to live a simple life, but rather they're drawn towards complicated lives.

One simple fact is that people want to be directed, they want someone to point the way for them because it gives them a sense of safety, much like the herd of zebra sticking together. The problem is that some people take advantage of this.

Anyways, I'm going to bow out for now. I think I've said enough and we both seem to see the root cause of this, so there's no reason to continue.

Each and every man and woman is born with a compassionate nature. It's our experiences in this world that cover it up or uncover it. If you ever want to uncover it simply be kind to another person and ask nothing in return.

Don't know why I said that last part, but I feel on some level it has to do with this topic.

Aaron

Aaron

In this case he was the institution. See my reference above Wikipedia

So because other people abuse their students makes it alright - don't think so

I dodge your shots with my ancient kung fu prowess! Haieyee! ph34r.gif

Hehehe... just kidding.

I know that, even so they weren't naive innocent lost lambs manipulated into doing something they didn't want to, at least I don't believe that to be so. What happened is that they were attracted to him, had sex with him, didn't receive what they wanted from him and decided to come out against him.

I'll tell you this much, this is the exact reason why religion, and believe me yoga is a religion, stinks so much. If you don't like people using religion to influence others sexuality, then be done with religion and it wont happen anymore. If you're not willing or ready to do that, then expect this to be just a small sentence in a very long chapter.

Aaron

Yes it takes two

They might have even trapped him with their sexual wiles - that still doesn't make it right.

Why the need to defend him and bring in the church - religion etc.

I agree with you re religion.

He was teaching yoga - he has the responsibility of a teacher.

This has nothing to do with religion.

Some were his married employees.