jacklantegi

What are some good questions to get the Atheists thinking?

So, yeah, here's one. "Did you replace the idea of "god" with anything? If so, why and what? If not, why?"

This Atheist's answer would be: No. Why would I want to replace one illusion with another?

I've talked to some atheists who think everything can somehow be explained thru reason and logic and science, I used to sort of resemble them. Yet, the more I learn about science and nature the more I realize how little we really understand and theories and faith and explanations are more about vanity than reality. I think we can feel awe and reverence toward the universe without worshipping anthropomorphic deities. I did come up with something to replace the idea of "god", maybe love, maybe tao, but it's not really a word thing.

• Like 2

I think we can feel awe and reverence toward the universe without worshipping anthropomorphic deities. I did come up with something to replace the idea of "god", maybe love, maybe tao, but it's not really a word thing.

or maybe not even a "thing" thing :lol:

Let's go outside and do handstand horse stance :D

I think that all of spirituality can be boiled down to one question - Who Am I?

Theism, atheism, agnosticism.... doesn't really matter.

And the drive needed to seriously explore the question can only come from deep inside.

It is something that each of us comes to (or not) in our own good time.

I don't think we necessarily help others by inducing or challenging them to consider their spirituality.

I don't think we necessarily help others by inducing or challenging them to consider their spirituality.

While I do agree with this I will suggest that there really is nothing wrong with trying to get others to question themselves.

Why Am I?

That is one of those questions where the best answer is: "I don't know."

(If you ever think you have figured it out let me know, Okay?)

:lol: But of course! :D

It's a contrast of what's going on in the world today, attachments, and Karma. To say it all at once would be of biblical proportions, so i will let you learn your own answer through time and experience (and a generous helping of Philosophy! :D)

Atheists already have been thinking too much, that's why they're atheists laugh.gif

:D:lol::D:lol::D

One theory from ancient wisdom is that humanity is the essential conduit between earthly energies and heavenly energies and the universe needs us and requires us to cultivate in order for it to function and grow properly. I have heard said that the human race is the "nerve endings" of the planet and unless enough people cultivate to become more open and sensitive to receive and transmit these energies then the universe may become lifeless, so we exist to serve this higher purpose.

I don't know this for a fact, but I do intuit a purpose of some sort.

One theory from ancient wisdom is that humanity is the essential conduit between earthly energies and heavenly energies and the universe needs us and requires us to cultivate in order for it to function and grow properly. I have heard said that the human race is the "nerve endings" of the planet and unless enough people cultivate to become more open and sensitive to receive and transmit these energies then the universe may become lifeless, so we exist to serve this higher purpose.

I don't know this for a fact, but I do intuit a purpose of some sort.

Nice perspective. As a Taoist I would say that we are one of many expressions of Tao.

But I am playing the role of Atheist here so I would wonder why anyone would want me to think upon why I do not believe in any supernatural essences. Doing so would only add to the complexity of living, I would think.

Powerful quotes, Vmarco.

But I think it is important to differentiate between the angry Atheists and the logical Atheists. The anger against gods and religions is just another attachment and a limiter against one living their life to its fullest potential.

Edited by Marblehead

I agree Mr MH. I reckon if you're (no-one in particular) going to get angry about religions, might as well get angry at the people who are doing and perpetuating awful stuff in the name of them because as far as I know, the stuff is propagated by people. But if those same people are not doing anything terrible in particular? Why concern oneself with their beliefs? I think I'm missing something? Getting angry at an idea, sure, sounds nice. Totally pointless.

Bearing in mind I'm opening a door for the same to be said of many other ideas.

----opinion alert---

While I do agree with this I will suggest that there really is nothing wrong with trying to get others to question themselves.

My concern is that not everyone is prepared to take a deep look at themselves.

For some it can be hazardous. For others it can be very disruptive.

I don't think it's my place to lead others in that direction unless there is some evidence of complicity.

My concern is that not everyone is prepared to take a deep look at themselves.

For some it can be hazardous. For others it can be very disruptive.

I don't think it's my place to lead others in that direction unless there is some evidence of complicity.

Totally agree. This is something that I think requires wisdon. caring, and compassion. Afterall, if a person feels they are happy why try to change them? No need, I think.

Hey I got one, if God doesn't exist, then why do you keep going on and on about him? :lol:

Good one Mr Sin!

Hey, this Logic-thing, it works, sometimes:-)

I couldn't, er, be an atheist if there was no God. Hahahahaha

Atheists already have been thinking too much, that's why they're atheists

That's true, although their thinking hasn't been totally correct. Anyone who has studied logic knows that it's impossible to prove God doesn't exist. To make the leap of faith from agnostic to atheist, is in my opinion, incredibly arrogant and hypocritical.

But to take a step back and just say, "I don't know" would be very admirable.

As for those of us who do know: :P