thelerner

In Your Humble Opinion - What three things should people on this board do/try?

Qi is breath.

A diet of Breath, bread and water, is one set of three that get back to basics!

Thats about as simple as I would ever want to be.

1. Joint mobility

2. Diet

3. Meditation (any good one)

Everything else falls into place

One I'd say, have a sacred component to your practice. Whether its staring at a sacred art.

I a short Jewish prayer as a meditational/chanting device.

Two, Quieting the mind.

Just observing it, asking the question-What will my next thought be?, Counting to 10 over and over

Three, have a life. A good life. Take time to enjoy yourself. Connect with people, they are your species :)

Michael

I'm working on quieting the mind!:)

1.forget everthing you know

2.quit seeking

3.sit quietly

simple to say

hard to do

1. forget everything you know (but I know so much about meditation!)

2. quit seeking (but I'm just on the verge of finding the Ultimate Truth!)

3. sit quietly

its not so easy gents

try it

--------------------

?

I thought I had read everything by fatherpaul but I missed this thread. Thanks Michael for asking the question, and thank you Ramon25 for finding it.

And.. God Bless fatherpaul.

g.

1. Shaolin Cosmos Qigong and Kungfu

2. Whole Foods Diet

3. ? I'll fill this one in when I can think of something

Nice to see this thread unearthed - here are three things that seem important to me currently

1. Practice kindness

2. Try to see the world and my relationships fresh in every moment without preconceived ideas and images

3. Go with, not against

Practice - even in hardship

Feedback with others and sharing

Relaxing

Keep at it- Rome wasn't built in a day. On some days you're going to feel like you're on top of the world, that you hold the keys to the universe, and that anything is possible. On other days, you're going to realize how far you are from everything, you realize how far the road stretches out before you, and you wonder if you're ever going to get there at all. Just keep doing what you are doing.

Look for the man behind the curtain- throw out the dogma, don't just follow the rules just because they are there, try to find out WHY they are there. See the building blocks of the material. To this end, learn about other systems, listen to other teachers that are out there. You don't necessarily have to incorporate everything that everyone teaches into your own practice, there's just not enough time, but sometimes learning of a different practice can help shine light on your own. They're all going to the same place, and sometimes another system can reveal a lot behind your own practice. It's not about the practice, that's the curtain, it's about the deeper meaning. Always look to see the deeper meaning. Then you realize we're all doing the same thing, no matter what system/religion we're in.

*insert something profound*

Edited by Sloppy Zhang

A) Find a practice that promotes inner stillness

B ) Find a practice that involves outer movement

C) Practice every single day, without exception. Even if it means only 5 or 10 minutes per.

You will live long :)

Edit: Why does B keep coming out as a smiley face!!?

Edited by DaoChild

Edit: Why does B keep coming out as a smiley face!!?

Because somebody decided that B looks kind of like glasses so if you put it next to a ) which looks like a smiley face it looks kinda like B) which I guess goes to show you that in life you always need to keep your B's from your.... uh.... parenthesis?

1. Have a daily practice. Don't try to get anywhere or achieve, just have the discipline to continually practice.

2. Try new things, you might like them.

3. Love as much as you possible can, and then love more.

see the devine in others and yourself

treat the devine with respect and

resist the need to be right

don't harm anyone

don't let yourself be harmed

keep and open but intelligent mind

live the way you want to

be nice to others as well

express yourself

all of those, not in any particular order

• Like 1

Be a genius.

Be a know it all.

Be unrelenting in proselytizing the poor inferior fools who will get nowhere and nothing "truly" valuable from their way.

Edited by Tao99

oh !

Look, I was apparantly thr first to respond to this thread, 3 years ago!

This is what I had said:

practice, practice, practice.

I know at least that that is my weak point. If we all just managed to sit down and practice for extneded periods of time... we would all be more evolved. What more can you ask for, than evolution?

practice is the most important thing.

How you practice and to what end.. are just details.

-And now I introduce myself to this board again, badmouthing most practitioners for faulty practices.

:rolleyes:

You were "..." wow. I loved that tattooed back avatar, what did it say?

Opps no sorry I confused you with mentalgroundO I'm bad with names but I remember avatars :lol: why are you using .broken.'s old face ? :)

{apologies for the tangent}

Three things that have helped me:

1. Taking cold showers. It invigorates me, and it lowers my blood pressure.

2. Remembering what the Stoic philosophers always said about events: they can't harm or bother you, because it is only your reaction to what happens that bothers you.

3. Meditation. Because letting go of what people think of you, and what you think of yourself is the ultimate freedom. I've only had brief tastes of my ego slipping away, but when it happened it was sheer bliss. I like to think of meditation as like a colony of carpenter ants that slowly gnaws away at the foundations of your attachment to a false self image.

OK, my three.

1. Read and digest well at least three books on Ayurvedic and/or Tao holistic self-healing.

2. Make your mind up to be persistent in healing yourself, allowing time for the process to take place.

3. Try to help others achieve good health.

Good health being both the key to peace and prosperity on the earthly plane and the trampoline which can spring you (and the whole world) up to higher spiritual heights.