surfingbudda

Stillness-Movement Neigong Review

In the end I think for one to be a medical qigong healer requires them to make sacrifices. They should NOT pursue this type of advanced healing unless they feel in their heart that this is what they wish to do. But IF IF IF they listen to what I say and do the practices, not attempt qi manipulation when they are feeling down or ill, then they should live a normal longevity.

Another question later popped into my head, which I'd like to ask...

If my understanding is correct, according to many who practice Daoist spiritual cultivation, essential to the pursuit of lofty spiritual goals is the understanding, accumulation, preservation, and transmutation of energy--lots of it (virtue is of course also of paramount importance, and that the sacrifice made by true healers displays real virtue is unquestionable). If this is accurate, then does the three hours of daily stillness-movement cultivation, in addition to safeguarding the healer's health, also leave the healer with enough qi to pursue internal alchemy?

Next time I'm Stateside will certainly take a look at your teaching schedule!

Another question later popped into my head, which I'd like to ask...does the three hours of daily stillness-movement cultivation... leave the healer with enough qi to pursue internal alchemy?

Hi Walker

In my experience so far, Stillness-movement IS internal alchemy and a powerful approach too. People think SM is a technique, a way of sitting, I feel this is a mis-conception. It is a lineage.

Best,

• Like 1

Michael,

I have both your book and DVD and would love to attend one of your workshops but family and work commitments prevent me from making the trip. I am wondering why you can do distance healing, but can't do distance empowerment that you do at your workshops to kick start the dantian? Thank you and thanx for all your information.

Another question later popped into my head, which I'd like to ask...

If my understanding is correct, according to many who practice Daoist spiritual cultivation, essential to the pursuit of lofty spiritual goals is the understanding, accumulation, preservation, and transmutation of energy--lots of it (virtue is of course also of paramount importance, and that the sacrifice made by true healers displays real virtue is unquestionable). If this is accurate, then does the three hours of daily stillness-movement cultivation, in addition to safeguarding the healer's health, also leave the healer with enough qi to pursue internal alchemy?

Next time I'm Stateside will certainly take a look at your teaching schedule!

Hi Walker

In my experience so far, Stillness-movement IS internal alchemy and a powerful approach too. People think SM is a technique, a way of sitting, I feel this is a mis-conception. It is a lineage.

Best,

What Snowmonki said and:

Yes. Much Qi! Stillness-Movement is the pure essence of internal alchemy.

Michael,

I have both your book and DVD and would love to attend one of your workshops but family and work commitments prevent me from making the trip. I am wondering why you can do distance healing, but can't do distance empowerment that you do at your workshops to kick start the dantian? Thank you and thanx for all your information.

At this point in time we do not offer the workshops from a distance. Thanks for your interest!

• Like 1

Hey Michael, any sense of when your Santa Barbara, CA, workshop might be?

Hi David!

We are hoping for 1st weekend in November but it is not a done deal.

Fascinating! Thanks again!

You are welcome.

Edited by Ya Mu

Read your book, it's so-so, IMO. There are some nice ideas in it, good vibes too, however enough material for a critical review also. I'm not sure I would try your system, I'm waiting for the DVD to make up a decision. Although, I have to admit, it should be very good to topple my first impression: apparently not my cup of tea. Our perspective seems too wide apart. I will let you know what i think about the DVD. Take these as 'opinions of a costumer'.

L1

Read your book, it's so-so, IMO. There are some nice ideas in it, good vibes too, however enough material for a critical review also. I'm not sure I would try your system, I'm waiting for the DVD to make up a decision. Although, I have to admit, it should be very good to topple my first impression: apparently not my cup of tea. Our perspective seems too wide apart. I will let you know what i think about the DVD. Take these as 'opinions of a costumer'.

L1

Thanks you for taking the time to read the book and thank you for your so-so opinion.

Of course, if anyone doesn't bother to actually practice, the book won't mean as much.

Actually am amazed you took the time to read since you were predisposed to a hostile attitude toward the author due to disagreements on a bulletin board.

In the same vein, I may be wrong but I don't think you are willing to actually practice the moves on the DVD. If that was you that just ordered it I think you should ask for a refund before I ship it tomorrow. And if you do receive it and only want to view it so you can post you don't like it you are certainly wasting your money. Of course if you decide to keep the order in and receive it then I will say again, It is a system that is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to understand by watching. One MUST practice it.

• Like 1

Little1,

Highlighting surfingbudda: "There were many moments of sheer joy practicing both forms of Gift of the Tao throughout the workshop."

And of course, the gem of Michael's system is stillness-movement. The elixir, one has to obtain in person. The awesomeness can't be captured by a book. But why would one want to? It's so much fun to go to the workshop and participate in person. :)

And to add one thing, not one single reviewer who has had something negative to say or who attempts to put down this original work actually tried practicing the listed neigong for the asked for 100 days nor the medical qigong treatments listed in the book (hint: In Title - MEDICAL Qigong). These treatments represent the cutting edge of energy medicine and have an extremely high result rate most of the time approaching 100%. Nothing else out there even comes close to the efficacy/efficiency of the medical qigong treatments.

• Like 3

The elixir, one has to obtain in person. The awesomeness can't be captured by a book. But why would one want to?

To save hundreds of dollars.

To save hundreds of dollars.

Most people report that they have wasted far more dollars on nonsense books than on a workshop where one learns the actual real thing. Heck, most pay as much or more in a year for the privilege of posting on this board and email as the cost of a workshop. I have tried to keep the cost of my workshops reasonable instead of charging the kilodollars that many do.

• Like 4

Thanks you for taking the time to read the book and thank you for your so-so opinion.

Of course, if anyone doesn't bother to actually practice, the book won't mean as much.

Actually am amazed you took the time to read since you were predisposed to a hostile attitude toward the author due to disagreements on a bulletin board.

In the same vein, I may be wrong but I don't think you are willing to actually practice the moves on the DVD. If that was you that just ordered it I think you should ask for a refund before I ship it tomorrow. And if you do receive it and only want to view it so you can post you don't like it you are certainly wasting your money. Of course if you decide to keep the order in and receive it then I will say again, It is a system that is TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to understand by watching. One MUST practice it.

You can't really know a person until you meet face to face, and it goes both ways. What you call a hostile attitude is a common thing on 'male dominated' forum discussions, it's that testosteron thingy, it has its reasons - it's also part of what makes us warriors. Your posts are not milk and honey everytime either ;)

@RV, thanks, what you said is common sense for most of the paths out there, however I think you can, if you have a minimum of training, sense if something is compatible with the core of your being. I'm happy that things go well with you, this is all that matters in the end, isn't it?

• Like 3

Perhaps it is more about ones state of readiness.

Very true. Some of us are not ready for certain things, such as paying hundreds for a transmission. Been there done that, and found that individual practice is the key.

That's the main thing that's turned me off from SM. The fact that the practice is contained in the book, but if it doesn't work to satisfaction, the person is told that they need the transmission. Then if they get it and are dissatisfied, they are told that they didn't practice enough.

I've been watching.

My interest has been in the medical program that's offered, due to the reported effectiveness. But that's another thing that turns me off from the program...you have to pay 1000 upfront, then go pay a couple hundred for multiple other seminars? That's a lot of money.

But people who are willing to do it are ready...financially. So I'm just a guy bitching about it who is not ready.

• Like 2

Best to you in your practices. _/\_

I don't know exactly why, I feel a 'special' conection with you :) very familiar.

[quote name='center' date='14 July 2011 - 07:41 PM' timestamp='1310668916' post='273766'

My interest has been in the medical program that's offered, due to the reported effectiveness. But that's another thing that turns me off from the program...you have to pay 1000 upfront, then go pay a couple hundred for multiple other seminars? That's a lot of money.

??? Wanna go to college but don't pay college fees? Wanna apply for university but don't wanna pay the fees either? Wanna study TCM but don't wanna come up for the thousands and thousands you got to pay at private school? Is it different?

You decide :)

Very true. Some of us are not ready for certain things, such as paying hundreds for a transmission. Been there done that, and found that individual practice is the key.

That's the main thing that's turned me off from SM. The fact that the practice is contained in the book, but if it doesn't work to satisfaction, the person is told that they need the transmission. Then if they get it and are dissatisfied, they are told that they didn't practice enough.

I've been watching.

But people who are willing to do it are ready...financially. So I'm just a guy bitching about it who is not ready.

The truth is that you have never publicly (perhaps in private from "a friend of a friend of a friend" eh?) heard those statements from anyone that actually practiced. And your perception of what I actually said in any response is way off base.

You have been "watching" but not "Listening". You seem to have everything wrong here; as far as the costs of my program nowhere does it say one has to pay a $1000 fee up front to start the program. Anyone can study with me as long as they wish without doing so. And you should know my individual seminars are priced at the low range of the average cost of such.

If you think you can get something for nothing then have at it. NO school is free. Even the public schools - those of us who pay taxes pay for them.

"Been there done that" Then why the heck aren't you out there working as a medical qigong therapist? It is needed by society! Because if you had of "been there and done that" with me you would be qualified AND able.

Edited by Ya Mu
  • Like 2

I only tend to post when I feel a nudge to do so, I have not long come home after having just received some teachings about 中 zhong (center) from a teacher of mine. And here we are, so...

Some of us are not ready for certain things, such as paying hundreds for a transmission. Been there done that, and found that individual practice is the key.

This is correct, but also a misunderstanding.

Personal daily practice is a BIG KEY. Certainly without it the best teacher in the world, no matter the approach they use to pass on their art, will not get far. This is the 'effort' from the student.

Transmission? Mmm, there are MANY forms of transmission. They are not all the same and they are done for different reasons. This has been discussed at length on this very forum so if you are unsure hit the search function. Are you sure you know what form of transmission Ya Mu uses in his teachings? Unless you've been to a workshop how can you say 'been there done that'? Any way, this is the 'effort' from the teacher.

The cost of the workshops is the cost of the workshops, the fact that Ya Mu passes on his art in the way he does is just part of that. There is no workshop fee and then additional fees for "transmission". If the cost of the workshops puts you off, then it puts you off, we are lucky in this day and age to have the choice of which teachers we see.

That's the main thing that's turned me off from SM.

Sorry to hear that, good luck with whatever you choose to explore.

The fact that the practice is contained in the book, but if it doesn't work to satisfaction, the person is told that they need the transmission. Then if they get it and are dissatisfied, they are told that they didn't practice enough.

Interesting perception. I appreciate you may feel my response is solely in defense of Ya Mu and may not read or accept what I write, that is your prerogative. My intention is simply to clear up misunderstanding.

The practice is contained in the book. But the practice is often greatly mis-understood IMHO. If I listed the steps for daoist zuowang or Zen's shikantaza it would be short and sweet and concise and easy to understand. Yet the phrase "a three year old may be able to say it, but an eighty year old still cannot do it" comes to mind.

People always assume and talk as though everyone comes to something from the same place of 'Being'. I mean we get this when it comes to physical things, it is easy to see why someone built one way would excel with minimal help at a physical endeavor and yet someone else built another way will need more help and time and maybe supplementary training.

The same is with energetics and cultivation practices.

So yes, some people can be given the steps and 'get it' and no this has nothing to do with prior "training" as much as it does about the state of 'Being' of that individual. Others will need some help. Transmission is a way of helping.

That being said, and this is important. I have met and talked with people who read the book, did the practice for a short while and never did stillness-movement once! Now while I'm sure the Lomax haters may jump on that statement, it is not really that hard to comprehend. The same thing happens with nearly every teacher and system I have ever been involved in Daoist, buddhist, neigong, or martial arts. Why?

Because we ALL project our preconceptions on to these things. This is why I always tell people to go and see the teachers not to only read the supplementary materials they put out and think 'I understand this'. I don't care if you are decent at Wing chun, it doesn't mean you know taiji or bujutsu. Yes they are "related" and yet they are not the same. Why is this hard to appreciate when it comes to cultivation lineages?

I've been watching.

Man, that just sounds plain creepy!! :blink::lol: just kidding :P

Again, misunderstanding. Just go to a workshop. Meet Ya Mu. That is it. If the system takes you and you want to learn more, it will happen. But please do appreciate that this is a clinical medical qigong training. Studying a subject is going to cost you, same if you want to go learn tuina, acupuncture, feldenkrais, rolfing etc

Not always true. I could not have afforded to go see Ya Mu, so I helped bring him to the UK. If you've read the book you will know how financial positions and learning are not always so rosy.

Anyway,

I hope you find what you need and get to practice that which makes you happy.

Best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 2

Ya Mu,

The truth is that you have never publicly (perhaps in private from "a friend of a friend of a friend" eh?) heard those statements from anyone that actually practiced. And your perception of what I actually said in any response is way off base.

Those are just things I remember seeing on this forum, which seemed to reflect poorly. It was the impression I was under as an outsider with no agenda.

You have been "watching" but not "Listening". You seem to have everything wrong here; as far as the costs of my program nowhere does it say one has to pay a $1000 fee up front to start the program. Anyone can study with me as long as they wish without doing so. And you should know my individual seminars are priced at the low range of the average cost of such.

The individual seminars are fairly priced compared to others. I was referring to this fee policy for the certification program on your website...

We now require an initial $1,000 up front non-refundable deposit in order to enroll in our program. This helps establish a students commitment to the program. But this fee is offset by reduced workshop fees for those enrolled in the program. For example the normal $275 two day workshop fee is reduced to $225 for those enrolled in the program. Program enrollees are also given preferential treatment in having direct access by phone to Michael Lomax for any questions they may ever have.

If you think you can get something for nothing then have at it. NO school is free. Even the public schools - those of us who pay taxes pay for them.

Definitely not assuming that. I was mostly just reacting to being told that those who can't afford it are not "ready".

Anyway, it wasn't right for me to sort of attack you as a teacher or your system of practices in the process. That was not my intention here and I have no reason to do so.

"Been there done that" Then why the heck aren't you out there working as a medical qigong therapist? It is needed by society! Because if you had of "been there and done that" with me you would be qualified AND able.

I was referring to paying for transmissions...haven't been trained in medical qigong therapy.

I'm always very tempted to take your course and check it out. But then you say things like "well I might quit this any day now" and the fact that it is a 1000 non refundable deposit...simply puts me off. Could just be an issue of "readiness" with me...although with the right teaching, I am more than ready. We'll see...

Snowmonki,

Thank you for the thoughtful response.

_/\_

You're most welcome. All of my teachers constantly deal with misunderstanding. In fact all my fellow students do as well just from the other side. I continue to peel away layers and what I understand today is not what I understood last year. In part it is due to this that sometimes recognition of possible misunderstanding in others occurs, if I feel a nudge that I may be able to help I try to do so.

Accepting that we don't know (embracing the mystery, the Dao), and as such need guidance is not always so easy. But that is why things things have been transmitted from heart to heart for centuries no?

I still like the Japanese notion of taiden-shinden-kuden. The 'feeling', the 'shape', and the 'description'. Missing one of these three you only ever have part of the picture. It is why when kuden started to be written down in densho (written transmission) the writings were concise and vague.

Best,

• Like 2

Ya Mu,

Those are just things I remember seeing on this forum, which seemed to reflect poorly. It was the impression I was under as an outsider with no agenda.

The individual seminars are fairly priced compared to others. I was referring to this fee policy for the certification program on your website...

We now require an initial $1,000 up front non-refundable deposit in order to enroll in our program. This helps establish a students commitment to the program. But this fee is offset by reduced workshop fees for those enrolled in the program. For example the normal $275 two day workshop fee is reduced to $225 for those enrolled in the program. Program enrollees are also given preferential treatment in having direct access by phone to Michael Lomax for any questions they may ever have.

Definitely not assuming that. I was mostly just reacting to being told that those who can't afford it are not "ready".

Anyway, it wasn't right for me to sort of attack you as a teacher or your system of practices in the process. That was not my intention here and I have no reason to do so.

I was referring to paying for transmissions...haven't been trained in medical qigong therapy.

I'm always very tempted to take your course and check it out. But then you say things like "well I might quit this any day now" and the fact that it is a 1000 non refundable deposit...simply puts me off. Could just be an issue of "readiness" with me...although with the right teaching, I am more than ready. We'll see...

Those are just things I remember seeing on this forum...

Again, no such thing has appeared anywhere in public by anyone who actually practiced the system. You have seen some comments by people who didn't like what I had to say in the book - that is OK. If writings can stir up someone to say such it usually means it hit home. And you have seen a very few comments by people who didn't understand energetics and VIEWED the DVD, not PRACTICED.

And again, the fee to attend my workshops is not for "transmissions" (I don't even like that word), but to cover the cost of me putting the workshop on and for you to learn this amazing system. The awakening energy projection is just a part of it. You should notice that the cost of my workshops is STILL lower than many who do not either know how to do that, who think it is too much work to have to do for the students (it is much more difficult than just showing someone how to do an exercise), or who think it is not needed. What this does is multifaceted and I won't go into that here, except to say that it is unheard of in China for students who only have been practicing for 2 days to, on the 3rd day project qi with a 80% to 100% result rate. Yet this is what happens due to the energetics of the workshop. Without this manipulation of energetics it would take the student MUCH longer to reach this level.

Now, after I just posted that the 1000 was NOT required for anyone who wished to attend the workshops for as long as they wished to, you cut a piece from my website to reinforce your erroneous opinion.

OK, NOW for YOU, the 1000 is required since you insist; your will be done. Everyone else it is not required.

Just kidding.

I will attempt to explain one more time. The fee is for certification and has has nothing to do with the workshop fee except reduces it to actually make the program more affordable. A person can wait until they have the hours accumulated by taking the workshops and then pay the fee for certification at the end. Or they could take the workshops, accumulate the skill and knowledge, and not pay the fee. If you had bothered asking me about this instead of putting it up on the public forum this misunderstanding wouldn't have happened. I am always accessible via email or telephone. Taking the total cost here you will still find my program is on the low side for certification as a medical qigong therapist. Better still, you find ALL graduates of my program extremely skilled.

As an NQA level IV (highest level available) certified Teacher anyone who received certification from me can apply to the NQA and receive certification from them. WHEN, not IF, laws come about for practice in the USA, this agency stands as the longest running certification standard. For the record, I am totally against any type of laws concerning medical qigong. And yet, I was one of the people on the NQA standards committee that contributed to coming up with the standard. I did this because it was going to happen whether I thought it should happen or not, and I do think the NQA is a great organization. And I believe laws in USA will happen just like they did for massage therapy, which, for the record, I personally think are bullshit - I protested against those too.

For me to keep up my certifications requires about $1000 per year. I don't like it, especially since most people would laugh at my total income and this is difficult for me to come up with, but it is what it is.

Rest assured that, if it is within possibility, I will not leave any student who has signed up for my program hanging if I do decide at some point to retire. I would at that point stop accepting any NEW students to the program and finish up with anyone who had committed. But having to put up with some of the stuff I have to put up with does make it sound inviting to live in a house located a mile or two behind the house where I tell everyone I live. Students in the US have no idea how easy they have it compared to how this used to be taught.

That said, the students who do end up in my program are some of the nicest people anyone would want to meet and demonstrate integrity, Virtue, AND extreme skill; I couldn't ask for any better. And although that house behind that house sounds inviting, and I would like to retire at some point like most people do, I will most likely teach until I die.

• Like 6

Nope. You had to travel to China to learn the system that you now teach. :)

Ah, come on now. You know you're just telling porkies, he read it all in a book :P:D

Hugs,

SM