Aaron

A Subforum for the Tao Teh Ching

You've just given one my favorite definitions for meditation: "a mirror reflecting all without distortion."

That's great! And, of course, we all know that that is not anything original of mine.

Actually, being called names doesn't bother me at all. After twenty years in the Army I doubt that anyone could come up with anything that would gain my disapproval.

Anyhow,

WOULD SOMEONE GET THIS THREAD BACK ON TOPIC?????

Hehehe.

MarbleHEAD, hi B)

Which choice do you think would be better, sub-topic or out here? Maybe you have the better perspective on this as you did something similar with your teachings.

Personally, I think a TTC subforum wouldn't detract taoist input away from the general discussion area - but more importantly perhaps, the subforum would keep the (eventual) 81 topics grouped for ongoing discussions.

I'd vote in favor of an open subforum - up there with the BookClub, HealingCircle and LendingLibrary.

It would be kinda nice to see a little nod towards the Laozi in TaoBums. (-:

MarbleHEAD, hi B)

Which choice do you think would be better, sub-topic or out here? Maybe you have the better perspective on this as you did something similar with your teachings.

Personally, I think a TTC subforum wouldn't detract taoist input away from the general discussion area - but more importantly perhaps, the subforum would keep the (eventual) 81 topics grouped for ongoing discussions.

I'd vote in favor of an open subforum - up there with the BookClub, HealingCircle and LendingLibrary.

It would be kinda nice to see a little nod towards the Laozi in TaoBums. (-:

I actually agree with you.

What I am presenting is a mixture of Lao Tzu and Chuang Tzu and could continue in the main "Taoist Discussions" main forum.

A Lao Tzu sub-forum would limit the discussions to just the work of Lao Tzu with the various translations of chapters being discussed to compare/contrast the translations as well as discussions of the specific words a translator used while presenting his/fer translation.

I would be thrilled if we had members in that sub-forum, if it does materialize, who had a command of the Chinese language who could present alternative possibilites for the meaning of the original Chinese characters. Stig comes to mind here but I am pretty sure there are other members here who have a command of the Chinese language.

Whatever the form, Taoism is built upon the collection of thoughts presented by a supposed person by name of Lao Tzu. I would think that anyone who considers themself a Taoist, whatever type, would want to have as thorough an understanding of that work as possible.

I know I would still frequent the main forum at least because there are many Taoist concepts discussed there that have no direct link to the TTC. I would thank that most others would feel likewise.

Excellent suggestion, IMO.

We've had threads before where we've discussed sections/chapters - it was good I thought and its nice to focus just on Taoism without Buddhist views creeping in.

Please? Please! Please?

I would love to discuss the differences of the

myriad translations of the Tao Te Ching!

What say you?

Peace!

Not a bad idea... has the potential to generate as much discussion as the Chinese language section if not more.

What would be on topic? Pretty much anything TTC related, specific chapter discussions, different translations, favored translations, debate the validity of the work etc... yes that could be grouped easily enough.

I feel it's certainly worth discussing further.

I too think this is a good idea, since the majority of my interest lies in Philosophical Daoism.

Hi Samuel,

I'm a Scottish American living in China. As all misplaced Scots tend to do I've gone through a time when I studied our ancestors, the Picts, where I've found a few simularities in culture as well as stone carvings, that were no where as developed as those coming from China -I am convinced that, if the Christianity thing hadn't come, a more Taoist oriented culture could have developed in Scotland and perhaps Wales.

Anyoldhow - back to the subject - If you are searching for a more accurate understanding of the TTC (Tao Te Ching, try this method that has seemed to work with me;

Go to page one of this thread to see where some of us have posted Links to the works of well over a hundred different translators (All are in English) and read them with an effort to compare them side by side.

When they all seem to be saying the same thing, was when I considered myself as having the beginnings of an understanding of the TTC.

By the way - I've seen in the past few days where the Swine flu problem was happening again on your side of the Island. For Swine Flu Information in England Click Here - I've experimented with some forms of natural food/Chinese medicine and found one that has kept me well during the previous Viral outbreaks in Hong Kong. Click Here for an article on it The original Researcher: Click here for Article

One more article

Essentialy the medicine is found in bean sprouts (Mung Bean Sprouts are what I have used to keep well, in Hong Kong for 10 years)

If any questions send me either an E-mail or a PM. (The PM thing is in your profile - just click on your picture to go to it.)

I want to thank everyone who's participated in this thread. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thought this might be a good idea.

In my opinion, I think a subforum would be best.

Aaron

I want to thank everyone who's participated in this thread. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thought this might be a good idea.

In my opinion, I think a subforum would be best.

Aaron

Patience is best when cultivated.

I don't cultivate anything, I just let it grow of its own accord. That's a topic for a different thread though.

Aaron

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/forum/161-tao-teh-ching/

The full description is:

Forum to discuss classic Taoist texts such as the Tao Teh Ching, I Ching and Chuang-Tzu.

I figured keep it a bit more open to any classic Taoist text to start out, whereas Book Club is for more or less anything, sound good?

Best,

Sean

I think that sounds fine. Thanks for taking the time to add the section.

Aaron

I'm bumping this post because I wanted to let everyone know that the last chapter of the Tao Teh Ching chapter study, chapter 81, has been posted in the Tao Teh Ching subforum. I had the great pleasure of being one of the founding members of that forum and today it's hard for me to imagine the Tao Bums website without it. I hope everyone has a chance to stop in and take a look at some of the amazing discussions that have taken place there. I also want to thank all those people that helped out with the forum, in particular Marblehead and Apech, whom without, I doubt it would've run as smoothly as it has. I also want to thank Sean who created it almost as quickly as we asked for it. Thanks again Sean you really came through for us.

There are a lot of great people on this website and I know many of them visit the Tao Teh Ching subforum. It's because of you people that the subforum was such a wonderful place to visit (and I know will be in the future).

With a happy heart,

Aaron

Edited by Twinner

I'm bumping this post because I wanted to let everyone know that the last chapter of the Tao Teh Ching chapter study, chapter 81, has been posted in the Tao Teh Ching subforum. I had the great pleasure of being one of the founding members of that forum and today it's hard for me to imagine the Tao Bums website without it. I hope everyone has a chance to stop in and take a look at some of the amazing discussions that have taken place there. I also want to thank all those people that helped out with the forum, in particular Marblehead and Apech, whom without, I doubt it would've run as smoothly as it has. I also want to thank Sean who created it almost as quickly as we asked for it. Thanks again Sean you really came through for us.

There are a lot of great people on this website and I know many of them visit the Tao Teh Ching subforum. It's because of you people that the subforum was such a wonderful place to visit (and I know will be in the future).

With a happy heart,

Aaron

Good job with the forum Aaron and Marbles. I agree that it's a wonderful addition to the Bums.

Good job with the forum Aaron and Marbles. I agree that it's a wonderful addition to the Bums.

Seconded.