markern

Physical effects of standing meditation

Told me don't stand for more than one hour at a time although when I stood with him we stood for one hour twenty minutes one time.... Stand for an hour.. Stop, rub hands, wash face, pat legs up and down, walk around, relax... stretch, etc... Then practice another hour and repeat.

I practice an hour in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one to two in the evening before sleep.

Let me add that I think it's important to stretch.

Thanks!

That's my usual method for trialling practices. But it seems that the both the practice time and the length of trial may be to short for standing to show results (eg like vortex mentioned)
Well, it could also be that my progress is blocked right now. But others could enjoy much faster progress...

I consulted the Yijing a month ago on this and it eerily said:

Hexagram 6, Arguing

What are you arguing for?

If you cant win this one, what else can you do?

You argue for what you need for sustenance, or to be believed, or simply for justice for you know in your bones that things are not as they should be. Yet no matter how deep and true your convictions, you find yourself frustrated, and your sense of being in resonance and connected with the world is choked off.

Hexagram 12, Blocked

What work can you do when nothing is working?

Who are you when no-one is noticing?

Blocking it, non-people.

Noble ones constancy bears no fruit.

Great goes, small comes.

Nothing moves or grows, communication doesnt happen, everything is negated and blocked and this is because of non-people. That may mean that some people are a consistently, exclusively and pathologically negative influence and sabotage all attempts at progress.

there is a complete failure of empathy. This means that your very best and strongest efforts come to nothing. You can have a soaring imaginative concept of the creative possibilities here; you can have the will to be true to that concept and carry it through. Youre not doing anything wrong; the problem is that these creative possibilities are just not available when things are Blocked.

And I also agree that stretching your kua out definitely helps improve your zhan zhuang posture dramatically! Training for full-lotus is GREAT cross-training for zhan zhuang!

Edited by vortex

Greetings..

Hi Mal: What i have found, these many years later, is that alignment, central equilibrium, and the 'cycles' establish their relationships clearly within a minute or two of beginning practice, then.. i relax into the stillness, suspending the thought processes in favor of the 'ISness' revealed by Clarity.. in this state, WuJi integrates with the environment i am experiencing, the perceived separation between self and environment blurs, and.. well, i have several locations where the environment offers a brilliant diversity of experiences while affording me a relatively unnoticable vantage.. the last few years, i have found great integration by closing with the four Energies, Peng, Lu, Ji, An, expressed in the four directions.. it takes about 30-40 minutes (sometimes longer if schedule and inspiration allow)..

Be well..

Greetings..

'Heaven and Earth' are not posture dependent..

Be well..

You are right.

perhaps i wasn't clear enough when i said

"Seated meditation takes you out of your body = heaven

Standing takes you into your body = earth"

I was thinking more in terms of standing as grounding thus earth.

One has to be so careful:)

You are right.

perhaps i wasn't clear enough when i said

I was thinking more in terms of standing as grounding thus earth.

One has to be so careful:)

I really have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Seated meditation takes you out of your body?

Standing meditation takes you into your body?

Heaven and Earth' are not posture dependent..

That one is not clear either. What ever does this mean?

I really have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Seated meditation takes you out of your body?

Standing meditation takes you into your body?

Did you read the next sentence which was supposed to be a clarification.

"I was thinking more in terms of standing as grounding thus earth"

Did you read the next sentence which was supposed to be a clarification.

"I was thinking more in terms of standing as grounding thus earth"

Yep, I still don't get it. How does standing take you into your body? How does sitting take you out of your body?

Greetings..

I posted:

Heaven and Earth' are not posture dependent..

Which was a response to:

To which you responded:

That one is not clear either. What ever does this mean?

Hi Bill: It means that my experience is not consistent with the post i was responding to.. i don't have a sense of postures taking me 'out of, or into', my body.. "I" exist in, out, and 'as' the body.. though, i may focus awareness in any combination of, or all of, those perspectives..

Be Well..

Yep, I still don't get it. How does standing take you into your body? How does sitting take you out of your body?

Do some standing and do some sitting.

Water is wet but you'll never understand until you dive in

Do some standing and do some sitting.

Water is wet but you'll never understand until you dive in

Oh good grief. Don't give me this Horse$hit answer. I stand 3 to 4 hours a day dude. With that I still have no idea what the F you're trying to say.

Greetings..

Hi Bill: It means that my experience is not consistent with the post i was responding to.. i don't have a sense of postures taking me 'out of, or into', my body.. "I" exist in, out, and 'as' the body.. though, i may focus awareness in any combination of, or all of, those perspectives..

Be Well..

Yeah, I'm still trying to understand what he's saying so I couldn't understand your response. Is he talking about spirit? Is he talking about Qi/Blood? I have no idea. If he's talking about spirit which is what you seem to be talking about then I agree with you. When I read his first post I thought he was talking about Tian Di Ren He Yi... (天地人和一) but now..... I still have no idea.

my ZZ teacher said ZZ is the connection between heaven and earth. so that comment of not having the correct posture is in correct. of course you can still exist between heaven and earth but to feel more connected the correct zz will help alot.

Greetings..

The body is an energetic manifestation of Spirit/Consciousness.. 'You' are that Spirit/Consciousness, as a unique and independently functioning version of itself.. Spirit/Consciousness refers to Heaven.. the 'body', a tangible manifestation like Earth, refers to Earth.. 'You', in much Asian philosophy, is a reference to the Individualized version of Spirit/Consciousness, sometimes referenced as 'man' (gender-neutral, as humanity).. so, the 'common' Taoist understanding of this relationship is, 'Man is the connection between Heaven and Earth'..

ZZ, WuJi, and the Arts, in general, are methods for fine-tuning the body as 'residence' for the Spirit, and.. the Spirit experiences itself as a tangible experience with its tangible environment.. 'You' are like the driver of a sports car (or garbage truck in some cases), and the body is the vehicle.. through the ages, your vehicle self-destructs, and you acquire another.. how long the 'vehicle' lasts is a function of how well it's built (genetics), how well it's maintained (training/discipline), and avoiding crashes..

Be well..

Edited by TzuJanLi

Oh good grief. Don't give me this Horse$hit answer. I stand 3 to 4 hours a day dude. With that I still have no idea what the F you're trying to say.

Hahaha I feel like saying that on this site sometimes.

Basically when you are doing standing meditation it brings you more into your body than seated because there has to be more of an awareness in your body when standing or you will fall over and maybe hurt yourself.

Edited by Jetsun

Greetings..

The body is an energetic manifestation of Spirit/Consciousness..

Ok, here we go. If this is true spiritual energetics should be able to cure any physical ailment. You are implying a physical aliment (broken bone, spinal issue, or organ disease) is a direct manifestation of some spiritual imbalance, right?

'You' are that Spirit/Consciousness, as a unique and independently functioning version of itself.. Spirit/Consciousness refers to Heaven.. the 'body', a tangible manifestation like Earth, refers to Earth.. 'You', in much Asian philosophy, is a reference to the Individualized version of Spirit/Consciousness, sometimes referenced as 'man' (gender-neutral, as humanity).. so, the 'common' Taoist understanding of this relationship is, 'Man is the connection between Heaven and Earth'..

Man "exists" between heaven and earth. Not necessarily connected between heaven and earth. That takes a lot of practice.

ZZ, WuJi, and the Arts, in general, are methods for fine-tuning the body as 'residence' for the Spirit, and.. the Spirit experiences itself as a tangible experience with its tangible environment.. 'You' are like the driver of a sports car (or garbage truck in some cases), and the body is the vehicle.. through the ages, your vehicle self-destructs, and you acquire another.. how long the 'vehicle' lasts is a function of how well it's built (genetics), how well it's maintained (training/discipline), and avoiding crashes..

Be well..

If the physical body is a direct reflection or manifestation of the spirit and the physical body has issues then the spirit should have similar issues, no?

Hahaha I feel like saying that on this site sometimes.

Basically when you are doing standing meditation it brings you more into your body than seated because there has to be more of an awareness in your body when standing or you will fall over and maybe hurt yourself.

Ok if Mythmaker said Standing makes you more aware of your physical body and sitting meditation makes you more aware of your spiritual body then I might understand better. It is not what he said.

Greetings..

Ok, here we go. If this is true spiritual energetics should be able to cure any physical ailment. You are implying a physical aliment (broken bone, spinal issue, or organ disease) is a direct manifestation of some spiritual imbalance, right?

No, physical ailments are a function of many effects of the relationship the individual has with its environment. Yes, at some point in the evolution of the human experience there should be the ability to Consciously intend a changes in the energetic frequencies of one's existence to repair imbalances or unintended consequences..

Man "exists" between heaven and earth. Not necessarily connected between heaven and earth. That takes a lot of practice

Man cannot 'exist' between Heaven and Earth without being connected.. you are referring to awareness and understanding..

If the physical body is a direct reflection or manifestation of the spirit and the physical body has issues then the spirit should have similar issues, no?

No.. think about it, those are different 'states' of existence.. there 'can' be common issues, but there is no necessity..

Be well..

Greetings..

No, physical ailments are a function of many effects of the relationship the individual has with its environment. Yes, at some point in the evolution of the human experience there should be the ability to Consciously intend a changes in the energetic frequencies of one's existence to repair imbalances or unintended consequences..

But you said the physical body is a direct manifestation of the spirit. Sounds like inconsistency there.

Man cannot 'exist' between Heaven and Earth without being connected.. you are referring to awareness and understanding..

Yes, they are unaware and their channels are not open so they "exist" and are happy to do so.

No.. think about it, those are different 'states' of existence.. there 'can' be common issues, but there is no necessity..

Be well..

Again, if the physical is a direct manifestation of the spirit then tell me how they can be separated.

Greetings..

But you said the physical body is a direct manifestation of the spirit. Sounds like inconsistency there.

The 'energy'/source remains unchanged, manifestations come and go, the source remains.. the child is bound by its first understandings, the child learns the alphabet then words, then sentences, and.. some evolve into authors of great literature.. the Human Experience is an evolving process, and we are each a different places in the process.. the 'inconsistency' you hear may just be different places in the same process.. more ZZ and WuJi is good for seeing the process AND the places..

Again, if the physical is a direct manifestation of the spirit then tell me how they can be separated.

How is the child separate from the parent? How is the rain separate from the ocean?

Be well..