Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

Runes

paleolithic%20writing.jpg

I'm no expert in this area of study, but it seems that these types of scripts were sort of common back in the day in a lot of cultures. A is Upper Paleolithic writing from Magdelenian cave sites, B is Indus Valley script, C is Greek, D is Runic. (Settegast (p. 28) after Forbes and Crowder, 1979.)

I've barely learned a little bit about the roots of languages, and surprisingly, Indian Sanskrit for instance has a lot in common with Western European languages...the root language that all of these stemmed from being called proto-Indo-European, by linguists.

I use them mostly as a form of divination/ guidance (similar to I Ching)

In Norse mythology they could do some pretty impressive things with them.

As one can see from above the Runes follow the hexagonal pattern found in the Flower of Life.

I imagine to have a deep understanding of the Runes would be to have deep understanding of the underlying forces of Nature.

From the complex / elaborate and vast astrological earth and stone works created by these people (Indo - Euro)

I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

I use them mostly as a form of divination/ guidance (similar to I Ching)

In Norse mythology they could do some pretty impressive things with them.

As one can see from above the Runes follow the hexagonal pattern found in the Flower of Life.

I imagine to have a deep understanding of the Runes would be to have deep understanding of the underlying forces of Nature.

From the complex / elaborate and vast astrological earth and stone works created by these people (Indo - Euro)

I guess it wouldn't be too much of a stretch.

cubes. Isometric-3-D cubes. also cubes within cubes, or perhaps its flowers within flowers... An infinite range of pattern to use in symbols. Edited by Hot Nirvana Judo Trend

This thread is awesome !

The connection between runes and sacred geometry is not one I had considered. Brilliant.

• Like 3

This thread is awesome !

The connection between runes and sacred geometry is not one I had considered. Brilliant.

For a real mind-trip, draw a diagram of the tree of life, and look closely at the branches.

Runes you will find, and readable staves

Staves that Bolthor stained,

made by mighty powers

graven by the prophetic god.

Know how to cut them

know how to stain them

know how to prove them

know how to evoke them

know how to score them

know how to send them

better not to ask than to overpledge,

for a gift demands a gift;

Better not to send

than to slay too many.

-Odin

• Like 1

I do not think that runes is something to meditate on. It is symbols, ideas, alphabet. What is the point to meditate for example on the picture of the moon in a book trying to understand the moon? More over that the runes sounds could be changed very much and signs too. How we know it is authentic runic primordial sounds? I beleive it was distorted from original signs and sounds. For example some people state that runes are protogerman sacred "sounds" but as I know slavic languages I can see there and protoslavic "sounds" which correlate with slavic pagan gods. OK, it can have origin in the common protoindoeuropean language but it was changed with time anyway and now we know only "germanic sounds" but signs could be changed too. There are slavic runes as well and they have different geometry. There were turkish runes in north Asia.... So I want to say that it is just symbols of some primordial archetypes and I do not think one should meditate on it trying to change something in one's own mind. It would be only some "magical" work with the rune Egregor but not with archetypes IMO. How we know what we should change in our energy or mind? Why to meditate on a certain rune if one is not sure what is this rune certain archetype. It can come from some shamanic expereince or dream but not from just one's mind like "I think it should help me because... ". IMO runes is just some primordial IDEAS and steps in the spiritual path corrilated with sun calendar. This is more what we should change in ourselfs in order to feel more harmony, how to abandon our karma and be more enlightened

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 2

I was introduced to them (alongside the I-Ching and Tarot - Rider-Waite) in the 1980s through Ralph Blum and I liked his approach, which focused on self-development/healing/learning/integration more than divination (I feel).

I realise that there's some controversy regarding the Blank and the renaming of Loki and Odin so I'm watching this thread with intest and expecting to learn.

Some correlations with slavic gods I have noticed:

Thurisaz - Svarog (Thuar-og)

Berkano - Bereginya

Jera - Jarilo

Dag-az - Daj-bog

Also I see there is correlation between rune Laguz (Lagaza - one of the forms of ancinet pronunciation) and slavic goddess Lada.

They beleive it is derived from indoeurop. word laku what means "water".

Also interesting that there is one of the protoindoeur. words Leuk what means "light", old english lēoht, german lioht/licht, gaelic llug and baltic Lauks. Also I would say it is Love, Light, Lake -- running stream of the "water of life".

Alternate Names: Laaz, Logr, Lagu, Logur, Laukr

Laguz is related with water and the sea. Flow, a fertility source, the healing cycle of constant change renewal. This is a strong feminine rune of intuition that also relates to fertility.

I suppose that there can be correlation between runes and qi channels and points.

Rune Teiwas - arrow up - is related with channel in the spine and point in the middle DT. Yan - masculine

Laguz is front channel down, yin, front point in the MDT. IMO that is why it is "water" and love - it is heart center too. Water is liquids and qi of the body in liver, spleen and pancreas - life energy centers. Ancient mythology.

The question if need it now??? IMO only confusion

Goddess Lada is very nice correlation: http://blog.slavicsouvenirs.com/holiday-goddess-lada

There is slavic rune Lada by the way which has the same heometry.

And rune Laguz is related with swan (I dont know why).

This is just example how many things in common.

Edited by Eugene

Ah here it is!

Ok lets talk about Futhork ... anyone read The White Goddess by Graves?

Michael William Denny was a teacher whom used to post here under the screen-name 5elementao. He got pretty seriously involved with the runes and Teutonic Shamanism in general and he made a couple of good podcasts on itunes about the topic. Here's a post he made about his experiences with one of the runes:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/16697-wuji-in-teutonic-spirituality/

-My 2 cents, Peace

For whichever reason I do not feel Runes belong in Hermetic and Occult Discussion

Yeah...it's strange to realize what parts of the world belong to the Occident and what belong to the Orient. I wouldn't consider anything Nordic as Oriental...so I guess it must belong here.

To be more clear in my opinion it would be like placing Native American spiritual practices / beliefs under "western...etc*"

It makes little sense.

Considering too that Native European spiritual practices / beliefs / people were viciously opposed "western" ways / attempts to assimilate them etc

Yes, it is interesting Turtle :)

Hm, well...Iceland quickly adopted Christianity as its official religion...

About Native Americans...if they hadn't likely arrived in the Americas from the East, it would probably be easier to classify them as Western. But since they were a culture separated from the rest of the world for so long, I don't know if they could fit into the East/West culture classifications. Native European on the other hand...you're entitled to your opinions.

Adopted is a funny word

I wonder if it was anything similar to Iraqi liberation and other peaceful interventions like the inquisition?

By your reasoning we should just put everything under African Philosophy... if one adopts current scientific thought?

That being that we all originated from Africa.

Oriental thought?

The Tarim mummies are a series of mummies discovered in the Tarim Basin in present-day Xinjiang, China, which date from 1900 BCE to 200 CE.[1] Some of the mummies are frequently associated with the presence of the Indo-European Tocharians in the Tarim Basin,[2] although the evidence is not totally conclusive. Victor H. Mair's team made the conclusion that the mummies are basically Europoid and likely speakers of an Indo-European language.[3]

DNA sequence data[9] shows that the mummies had Haplogroup R1a (Y-DNA) characteristic of western Eurasia in the area of East-Central Europe, Central Asia and Indus Valley.[10]

A team of Chinese and American researchers working in Sweden tested DNA from 52 separate mummies, including the mummy denoted "Beauty of Loulan."[11] The features of the Loulan Beauty have been described as Nordic in appearance.[3] She was approximately 45 years old when she died.[3] By genetically mapping the mummies' origins, the researchers confirmed the theory that these mummies were of West Eurasian descent.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Tarim_mummies

Truth is stranger than history... sorry I mean fiction...

Sign in to follow this