Sloppy Zhang

Most Underrated Systems, Teachers, Books, etc

Oh, OK. Like I said, I don't remember exactly all the details, not only because it was a while ago but because I started practicing with a group that was mostly Chinese and I didn't understand more than 1/10 of what I was told in the first couple of sessions. Then I did read the book, but it was long ago... so I'm not going to argue.

Well I didn't say that to argue with you, just told you what I remember. I could also be wrong.

I am surprised someone did not mention C.K. Chu's Eternal Spring Chi Kung. His Nei Kung was talked about in the first few pages of this thread.

I have been practicing Chu's Eternal Spring Chi Kung for 5 years now as part of my morning qigong routine. It has become an everyday practice for me and I find it's an excellent start to my day. Now if I *don't* do it, I feel like something is missing.

As programs go, it includes more physical movement than many systems, however, it is not as strenuous as his Nei Kung program. He says he designed it for older people, so the positions are a bit easier to negotiate. That said, Chu developed ESCK based on the principles of his Nei Kung system. It only takes 10 to 15 minutes to complete, and the benefits are great.... especially for those like me with an office job that doesn't provide the opportunity for much physical movement.

You can find ESCK books and vids on his website, along with his Nei Kung material.

Edited by Fu_dog

Has anyone heard of Kunlun (no relation to Max Christensen) Da Yan Wild Goose Qigong? It is the system taught by master Yang Meiun before she passed away. It is a really good comprehensive systemt that integrates health qigong with meditation excercises as well as pseudo martial arts applications in the later levels.

I definitely recommend it for anyone who hasn't tried it to check it out, it takes a long time to for one practice session but leaves you feeling very spritely and very clear mentally.

Kenneth Folk is a wonderful, fairly low-key, teacher. He became enlightened through Burmese style Vipassana (and is a personal long-time friend to Daniel Ingram) but also teaches other, more direct, methods such as self-inquiry as well as open awareness-style practice. His site has lots of useful articles and theres a forum too.

http://kennethfolkdharma.wetpaint.com/

Thanks for recommending this. Added to the top of my reading list.

Sean

http://www.rameshbalsekar.com/

i like what he says.

i found a book ive read "your head in tigers mouth" at first very annoying ,together with ramesh b..thinking he was arrogant. at the same time book was gripping ,and by the end result was

"i totally like this logic presented ,its so relaxing and natural".

Thank you, Senseikarma. :)

The main reason I discontinued it was (...was self-edited on second thought.) It just happens with practices. A few stick with one, most eventually try something new. People are fickle. Or they get curious about something else. Or seduced. Or it's their destiny to wind up altogether elsewhere. In my case, whatever I ever practiced, I wouldn't take back. It's all good long as you practice (by "you" in this context I mean "me." :) )

Oh, and what's this with "entities" and "possessions" again (in the quotes you found and some current entries) -- didn't we have enough of that with kunlun? For chrissake. Research. There's not a single ancient culture that didn't discover the falun. It is as much an "entity" as the "lower dantien" or "MCO" or "yin-yang symbol." P-lease. I collect superstitions of the world as a hobby, and I've discovered that the biggest bad-assest demon of them all has always and everywhere been the Demon of Witch Hunting. If you're possessed by this one, you're doomed!

Doooooooomed I tell ya! :o:huh::angry::lol:

Oh, OK. Like I said, I don't remember exactly all the details, not only because it was a while ago but because I started practicing with a group that was mostly Chinese and I didn't understand more than 1/10 of what I was told in the first couple of sessions. Then I did read the book, but it was long ago... so I'm not going to argue.

Taomeow, thanks and thanks again :)

Can you or others take a moment and tell me how Kunlun (Spontaneous practice I mean) compares to Falun Gong? Are the same, similar, different, not comparable?

I think this is worth checking out, and I am the only one who has mentioned it around here:

http://www.damo-qigong.net/qigong/course.html

It looks to be a GOLD MINE for those who wish to get started on authentic nei dan. I have major respect for Hu Xuezhi. Maybe when I get the money and get in a position to practice it I'll be the one to get it and tell you guys how it is.

Also, I often wonder why more people don't give B.K. Frantzis' stuff a chance. For example, his material on breathing is absolutely top notch, but people don't know that and keep recommending Yang Jwing-Ming's embryonic breathing stuff, which IMHO is vastly inferior. Interesting and valuable as far as it goes, but not nearly as good for getting results.

Edited by Creation

Also, I often wonder why more people don't give B.K. Frantzis' stuff a chance.

Yup, his stuff is very good. But, as often is the case with anything top notch AND made public, it becomes "controversial" whenever the master is alive and well and behaving a certain way, which someone will always have a problem with. BKF has been challenged on the merits of lineage, on his martial tactics (rough and with less control than most students are used to), and at least one high-level TJQ guy I know calls him "crazy." (But the guy, I mean my friend not BKF, is a republican himself, and that's crazy enough in and of itself in some people's book... :o please no republicans take offense, I'm an equal opportunity offender, I don't think democrats are all that sane either. :P )

As I contemplate to choose one between Falun, Spring Forest and Kunlun (Scotty, thank you for the really helpful advice here), stuff like below make me cringe taking to Falun. This is on their official site. The qigong does seem powerful but this!

Before the Chinese New Year in 2008, my younger sister called and told me, "Our sister-in-law has lung cancer. The doctor said it cannot be cured ,and the family should prepare for her funeral. You should come to see her."

After the Chinese New Year, we went to our hometown to visit my sister-in-law. She sat on a cushion on the bed and continuously coughed. She was in constant pain. Her children took care of her in turn. I told her, "I heard you have serious pneumonia (she did not know she had lung cancer yet). You are old and your immune system is weak. You need to recover slowly. Don't be afraid." Then we clarified the truth about Falun Dafa to the relatives and friends in the room and persuaded them to withdraw from the CCP and its related organizations. Later I said to my sister-in-law again, "You will be fine. As long as you recite 'Falun Dafa is good' sincerely, you will recover." She said, "I believe what you have told me. Falun Dafa is good." Then we left some truth-clarifying materials and said goodbye to everybody.

One month later, our relatives had a wedding and they invited us. We went back to our hometown and visited my sister-in-law again. She could walk and take care of herself. My brother told us excitedly, "She shouted 'Falun Dafa is good' even while she slept. Dafa is really magnificent!"

Two months later, my sister-in-law could cook again. My nephew told me, "Aunt, Dafa is really a miracle. Reciting 'Falun Dafa is good' can cure cancer. My mom is 78 years old. I really thank you for telling her that Falun Dafa is good. Dafa saved her life."

The Falun Dafa group seems to have very very less focus on the qigong or cultivation part and more on other stuff. Any one knows anything about the origin of these Qigong exercises? I have read some association with Wang Liping, but not too sure there.

Also, I often wonder why more people don't give B.K. Frantzis' stuff a chance. For example, his material on breathing is absolutely top notch, but people don't know that and keep recommending Yang Jwing-Ming's embryonic breathing stuff, which IMHO is vastly inferior. Interesting and valuable as far as it goes, but not nearly as good for getting results.

Probably because he's less concerned with putting "high level/high energy" practices in books than he is with putting relaxing, grounding, healthy exercises in books (translation- the boring stuff). :(

Senseikarma, If it helps (with regard to choosing practices) I'm not sure if intellectual comparison is the best approach. You may make up your mind on a "best" practice. But when you actually start practicing it, it could turn out that it just doesn't click for you. Regardless of how good a system IMHO you should enjoy your practice.

For me I have no real interest in kundalini awakening. Then suddenly KAP just appeared as the right thing for me to do. And I do mean suddenly, it had already been discussed quite a bit and I just never paid any attention as I wasn't interested in what I thought it was.

So I'm going +1 for the old saying "when the student is ready the teacher will appear"

Do you just find yourself drawn to one more than the others?

You don't know what you're talking about. YJM's embryonic breathing instruction is the best breathing practice out there.

Scotty, were you referring to the video? I tried to learn it from the video but didn't follow a thing :(

Senseikarma, If it helps (with regard to choosing practices) I'm not sure if intellectual comparison is the best approach. You may make up your mind on a "best" practice. But when you actually start practicing it, it could turn out that it just doesn't click for you. Regardless of how good a system IMHO you should enjoy your practice.

For me I have no real interest in kundalini awakening. Then suddenly KAP just appeared as the right thing for me to do. And I do mean suddenly, it had already been discussed quite a bit and I just never paid any attention as I wasn't interested in what I thought it was.

So I'm going +1 for the old saying "when the student is ready the teacher will appear"

Do you just find yourself drawn to one more than the others?

Mal, I am so confused. I can't even decide if I am drawn to any of these? To understand that, I have been practicing all the three for the last few weeks and still no sign :(

You don't know what you're talking about. YJM's embryonic breathing instruction is the best breathing practice out there.

Of course I don't. Do you?

Mal, I am so confused. I can't even decide if I am drawn to any of these? To understand that, I have been practicing all the three for the last few weeks and still no sign :(

Don't let it get you down, I've been going through practice systems since the 90's :D That was suppose to be reassuring, not depressing :lol:

I'm happy to have experienced all the different things that I have on my path. Ideally it might have been nice to find that "one true system" at the start of my journey, but would I have recognized it then? Perhaps I dismissed it and moved on. Anyhow that's not how things went, no sense wishing it was different.

Perhaps you may get some more info in your other thread. And congratulations on actually having a go and practicing. That's a lot more than many people do.

Ask the I Ching. I resolve all my "confused" and "don't know which way to go" issues with her help.

If you don't know how, look up a thread from sometime in the past, it has some pointers (including from me if I remember correctly.)

Well, no wonder... Pick ONE and stick with it. Regardless of how you feel. You're at cross purposes with yourself. You can't mix and match this stuff all at the same time and expect to get clear results. These are very different practices designed to accomplish different energetic goals.. You can't expect huge results immediately especially if you are practicing from book or video without a teacher. This isn't like buying an over the counter drug. Energy cultivation requires discipline, patience and persistence... I would also highly recommend a teacher... Any practice is going to get boring. These disciplines were never meant to be instant fixes, they were meant to practiced for a lifetime... be patient and consider what you want from a discipline, not how it is supposed to feel...

Scotty,

The product I think is better for breathing than YJM's stuff is the 2 CD set Taoist Breathing for Chi Gung and Meditation.

The practice I got from Dr. Yang's DVD was one small piece of what is in Frantzis' CDs, yet I can think of loads of things that are in Frantzis' material but were not in Dr. Yang's DVD's, notably almost everything about involving the physical and emotional aspects of breathing. That is the reason for my opinion. But I have not read the book, so maybe I am in error?

Please share with me essential point of practice or insight from Dr. Yang's book that was not in Frantzis' CDs. I would be happy for one as knowledgeable as yourself to instruct me.

Best wishes,

Tyler

... the 2 CD set Taoist Breathing for Chi Gung and Meditation.

Tyler,

Pietro has a thread entitled Learning to Breathe in his personal practice section, and it's devoted (mostly) to BKF's breath-work products. A number of people have been following it and participating (including me :)). There are all sorts of hidden pockets of activity here at TTBs.

B)

Trunk

Tyler,

Pietro has a thread entitled Learning to Breathe in his personal practice section, and it's devoted (mostly) to BKF's breath-work products. A number of people have been following it and participating (including me :)). There are all sorts of hidden pockets of activity here at TTBs.

B)

Trunk

LOL...I was one of the first participants in that thread. But as far as people practicing it, Pietro, Slopy Zhang, and myself are the only current forum regulars that have in been doing this stuff for a while, and you are the only new one I know of.

I was very happy to see that you were so pleased with the stuff that I have come to know and love. :)