Seth Ananda

Johny Chang/Liping Lotus position?

The Secret of the Golden Flower = "Tai Yi Jin Hua Zong Zhi",《太乙金華宗旨》

**Recent collective experiment of "The Secret of the Golden Flower" from wikipedia

In Sept. 2007, one hundred years after Wilhelm meeting his Chinese teacher, the 18th transmitter of the Dragon Gate Taoism Taoist Wang Liping trained eight European based on the techniques of The Secret of the Golden Flower. At the 6th day of the training course, some people saw the Mandala, and finally 6 of the 8 trainer saw the Mandala and draw the images. The results were published in the journal Contemporary Academic Research in 2008.

Why wont anybody translate the techniques & teachings into english ? There is so much information available in chinese on the net about master wang,But nobody wants to share in english,Or should i say to westerners ?

Kathy, being a student of master wangs surely you could offer something more then a wikipedia link ? Was that a joke ?

Why wont anybody translate the techniques & teachings into english ? There is so much information available in chinese on the net about master wang,But nobody wants to share in english,Or should i say to westerners ?
Why won't Westerners learn Chinese? I mean, is it really Chinese's responsibility to spoonfeed Westerners in English here...or Westerners' responsibility to learn Chinese?

Chinese come to the West and learn English. They don't expect the locals to learn Chinese. And neither do the locals - they fully expect/demand immigrants learn English.

But some Westerners go to China and expect Chinese to learn English to accommodate them? Lol...arrogant much?

Seriously though, I do agree that more English translations would be AWESOME!

Realistically though, I know it's a very labor-intensive process - and pricey if you do it professionally. Not to mention that esoteric texts will require translators familiar with such subject matter. End result being that these translations are unfortunately not gonna just happen overnight...

I agree that Learning Chinese is essential if someone really wants to learn and understand the culture. It's a long road but worth it in the end.

However, Classical Chinese is that much more difficult. Even for the common Chinese.

Why won't Westerners learn Chinese? I mean, is it really Chinese's responsibility to spoonfeed Westerners in English here...or Westerners' responsibility to learn Chinese?

:lol: Why won't Chinese teach Westerners? I did come to the conclusion that a taoist who doesn't know Chinese is handicapped, and started learning. My first teacher was a kind soul who is an engineer, not a teacher, who agreed to tutor me when I failed to find anyone in the area doing it professionally. After a while he moved, alas, and became geographically prohibitive. My next foray was at a local community school. They offered a course, I took it. They offered a repeat of the same course, I took it for the second time! (I'm finding Chinese pronunciation quite difficult, whereas grammar is piece of cake... :) ...so I wanted to keep working on my pronunciation. Alas, the teacher, excellent in every respect, preferred to teach like this: she talks 95% of the time, she lets the students say something 5% of the time. With 20 or so people in class, my chance to work on my pronunciation with the teacher's personalized help came once a week for 10 seconds a pop, on average.)

Now the second part of the course was supposed to be offered later but it never happened. Currently the only Chinese course the school offers is for someone who is planning a short trip to China and wants to learn 100 words and 250 sentences. That's not what I'm after. Nothing else is available. To compare, the same school offers 10 different-level courses of Spanish! Why can't Chinese in CA do what Mexicans in CA are doing -- meet the demand with supply? or even create the demand for that matter, the way Mexicans did, by NOT speaking English and YES teaching Spanish instead?! :lol: (I don't mean "all Mexicans" of course...) In any event, I'm finding it much easier to find someone to teach just about anything Chinese than someone to teach the language in a lay setting.

Are you sure the demand is there?

When I lived in SoCal I was taking classes at the community college and no school could fill a second level class. Mainly because the first level class there were a lot of Chinese taking it for easy credit and to satisfy language requirements. Not many could fill a second year course.

What I did was this. You are only going to get so far in a class. I forced myself to go the flea market where I knew some Chinese had a booth. They spoke very little English so I was forced to speak Chinese to communicate with them. It's very difficult and takes time but with that you feel great when you've accomplished it. After that I went to China to live for nearly 2 years. My Bagua teacher didn't speak any English so, again, I was forced to speak Chinese with him. Add to that, his mandarin was terrible. So, I got to understand him and communicate with him in spite of his accent and dialect.

If you want it, you'll work for it. In fact, now there are many sources on the web to learn Chinese. Check out my links page for more info:

http://members.bigvalley.net/wuji/china/shanghailinks.html

hope this helps.

Edited by Baguakid

Are you sure the demand is there?

When I lived in SoCal I was taking classes at the community college and no school could fill a second level class. Mainly because the first level class there were a lot of Chinese taking it for easy credit and to satisfy language requirements. Not many could fill a second year course.

What I did was this. You are only going to get so far in a class. I forced myself to go the flea market where I knew some Chinese had a booth. They spoke very little English so I was forced to speak Chinese to communicate with them. It's very difficult and takes time but with that you feel great when you've accomplished it. After that I went to China to live for nearly 2 years. My Bagua teacher didn't speak any English so, again, I was forced to speak Chinese with him. Add to that, his mandarin was terrible. So, I got to understand him and communicate with him in spite of his accent and dialect.

If you want it, you'll work for it. In fact, now there are many sources on the web to learn Chinese. Check out my links page for more info:

http://members.bigvalley.net/wuji/china/shanghailinks.html

hope this helps.

The demand will grow, I'm pretty sure. I've read an article about high executives who used to hire French- or German-speaking nannies for their privileged kids hiring Chinese-speaking ones instead in the past few years.

I do the same thing you did -- when on the East Coast (I'm sort of bi-coastal), I go to Chinatown regularly to buy herbs and ethnic food items and attempt to conduct my transactions in Chinese (I'm laughed at half the time, but encouraged and even offered some free gift or other for my efforts the rest of the time :) ). In SoCal, there's a huge Asian supermarket where I shop once or twice a month, and I do the same thing there. As for online courses, it's a matter of discipline... which is a matter of zhi... which is a matter of strong kidneys... which is a lifelong quest for me anyway :lol: -- that's why a regular schedule with a teacher would be so useful for me as opposed to self-study. Some people do well creating study schedules for themselves, whereas I learn by osmosis -- or else with an external disciplinarian.

Edited by Taomeow

The demand will grow, I'm pretty sure. I've read an article about high executives who used to hire French- or German-speaking nannies for their privileged kids hiring Chinese-speaking ones instead in the past few years.

I do the same thing you did -- when on the East Coast (I'm sort of bi-coastal), I go to Chinatown regularly to buy herbs and ethnic food items and attempt to conduct my transactions in Chinese (I'm laughed at half the time, but encouraged and even offered some free gift or other for my efforts the rest of the time :) ). In SoCal, there's a huge Asian supermarket where I shop once or twice a month, and I do the same thing there. As for online courses, it's a matter of discipline... which is a matter of zhi... which is a matter of strong kidneys... which is a lifelong quest for me anyway :lol: -- that's why a regular schedule with a teacher would be so useful for me as opposed to self-study. Some people do well creating study schedules for themselves, whereas I learn by osmosis -- or else with an external disciplinarian.

In '94 i've heard there were some 700 lao wai students in China, learning Chinese,

now it's said that the number is hundred fold...

Like many of them did, i am too preparing for a scholarship, maybe next year, or in two years time...

it's like studying another world...

It's part of a wuxing-based routine that is part of lingbao bifa that is part of what I was told not to tell :lol: ...This is not water-fire but a snapshot of a water-wood-fire-earth-metal sequence.

I don't know what Chang is doing on the picture, but in my opinion Master Wang is not doing the 5-elements-cycle if he's not moving the energy from his blatter to liver, nor liver to hearth, seems more like from lower dantien to middle dantien trought the second line. It's a beginners exercise like the 5-elements-cycle using your hands.

Edited by Kronos

This is a spoofed ID and not the real David Coletti

This member has been banned

-Mod Squad-

Ban him for what , Not kissing your ass and kowtowing to your demands ? For not liking the chinese way & the prejudices encountered ? This is not a Chinese forum Kenneth and free speech is everybodys right. If you want to run away and sulk thats your choice.

Edited by Mal
False ID

Ban him for what , Not kissing your ass and kowtowing to your demands ? For not liking the chinese way & the prejudices encountered ? This is not a Chinese forum Kenneth and free speech is everybodys right. If you want to run away and sulk thats your choice.

:lol:

wtf? what does it have to do with free speech and the "Chinese way" (whatever that is)? He made a personal insult in his post. Last time i checked, personal insult is not tolerated in this forum and is ground for banning. Of course it's up to the moderator to decide, at least a warning is warranted here. (calling someone a "racist pig" just because he didn't like the answer he got? I consider that a personal insult)

Edited by Ken

niko (wind) hatzakis,

In 85 when I first visited China we traveled with a group of runners (we were a kungfu group). I had never been so embarrassed as I was at the behavior of those runners. A bunch of drunken, stupid fools. You are worse 10 fold. You give "Laowai" a bad name (which by the way is not considered a bad term). I honestly hope you are not in China now as you say as you are an embarrassment to all foreigners in China. You give us all a bad name.

There are ways to disagree on a forum. Name calling and insults are not the way and will help no one. If you disagree then present a viable argument.

"老外!"
Uh, laowai is not a racist insult. "Lao" in Chinese culture actually implies venerable respect - as in laozi.

"Wai" simply means foreigner.

And with a population of 13,000,000...70,000 is still only .5%.

BTW, I've hung out with numerous laowai while in Beijing. Never once did I see a local run out and shout "laowai" at them. Only time I ever see that is from poor street hawkers trying to push their wares on tourists. But otherwise, you're really just not that big a deal there anymore, due to growing exposure. Kinda a big deal - yes. Point & gasp big deal - no. So, please don't flatter yourself.

And if that's your idea of "brutal" racism, then you should try being a Chinese man in America. :rolleyes: Where you can get victimized by both real racial slurs & hate crimes in addition to race-based affirmative action for "minorities"...but that excludes Asians. Trust me, you'd much rather be a laowai in China than a "Chinaman" here.

Edited by vortex

Maybe we're a bit over reacting?

We cannot judge a culture based on the cultural fashion of another culture.

The reason the West had so much advancement in sciences, is because the West has learned to PUT QUESTIONS.

If questioning a school, or a master, or a teaching, or a a policy, is considered an insult, what choise do we have if we are to interact with the Chinese culture? To act like hypocrits?

I asked myself many times niko's questions, and am sure many of us did too.

And it's important that they are answered. Otherwise people would make up their own ideas.

I agree that the idea wasn't formulated very polite, but the questions still stand.

And the questions need an honest and sincere answer... I wonder what Mr. Liping would say, would a question like this bother him? I never met him, but somehow I think he would give kind and gentle answer.

Please, Ken, KathyLi.

:)

Maybe we're a bit over reacting?

We cannot judge a culture based on the cultural fashion of another culture.

The reason the West had so much advancement in sciences, is because the West has learned to PUT QUESTIONS.

If questioning a school, or a master, or a teaching, or a a policy, is considered an insult, what choise do we have if we are to interact with the Chinese culture? To act like hypocrits?

And it's important that they are answered. Otherwise people would make up their own ideas.

I agree that the idea wasn't formulated very polite, but the questions still stand.

And the questions need an honest and sincere answer... I wonder what Mr. Liping would say, would a question like this bother him? I never met him, but somehow I think he would give kind and gentle answer.

Please, Ken, KathyLi.

He said that he admires Western noses and would enjoy having golden hair. :)

One thing we've got. :lol:

China was so brutally victimized, exploited, humiliated and robbed by foreign powers in the past 300 years of its history that I can only marvel at the magnanimity of its people who find it in their hearts to forgive and move on without holding too many grudges. (To compare, Russia still harbors a lot of hard feelings toward all things Oriental for having been enslaved by Mongols some 800 years ago!)

He said that he admires Western noses and would enjoy having golden hair. :)

One thing we've got. :lol:

China was so brutally victimized, exploited, humiliated and robbed by foreign powers in the past 300 years of its history that I can only marvel at the magnanimity of its people who find it in their hearts to forgive and move on without holding too many grudges. (To compare, Russia still harbors a lot of hard feelings toward all things Oriental for having been enslaved by Mongols some 800 years ago!)

I don't want a pretty answer, Meow (I'm making no refference at yours now).

Just an official one :)

It's too little information to make a decision on.

Please, Ken, KathyLi.

I have no idea what are you talking about. It has nothing to do with questioning the school or whatever, i can't care less. My original post was a response to that dick who called Ms Li a "racist pig" and then generalize yo insult all the Chinese as a "racist breed". Which part of it you don't understand?

Ken, I agree - if its a concern, there's the !Report button at the bottom of the offending post. In this case it seems to be that some people arent satisfied with the cultural differences in replies - no need to get uppity and start making insults. IMHO Kathyli has always been honest and respectful here and calling her a racist pig was out of bounds.

Is it that hard to convey ideas, even if they are negative, without slander and insult?