Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

3 hours ago, Spicyfood said:

Hello,

I want to thank you all, seekers and teachers, for bringing this lovely practice into my life.

Thank you, @Earl Grey and Roots of Virtue, for providing curated snippets of wisdom about this system over at the alchemical garden. It is obvious that you have a real love and appreciation for this practice and you motivated me to take the plunge.

Thank you, @Pak_Satrio, for your infectious enthusiasm and willingness to help your fellow seekers! 

While I was humming and hawing over whether or not I wanted to commit to a purchase and practice, you got a subreddit off the ground! That's fantastic and I'm so glad to see it. 

Thank you, @zen-bear! Thank you for sharing your grace and wisdom with us. 

------

You have my gratitude. All of you. :)

Robert 

(ofc, I like spicy food)

Glad you are enjoying it! Please help me to keep the subreddit active so we can reach more people! 

For anyone here who hasn’t joined it yet, check out r/FlyingPhoenixChiKung on Reddit!

• Like 3

The only way to know if the plant is improved from your FP practice is to do a scientific method experiment like I did in 1976 using water charged by my pyramid generator to keep a rose alive longer than another rose sitting in uncharged tap water. 

You will need 2 identical plants, same size, same species. Place one in room where you do FP. Other plant would have to be in a different room but it would also have to be exposed to the same amount of light as in your FP room to prevent confounding variables. 

Even without the experiment I know that FP produces an energy field. When I used to do FP I could feel the chi between the outside of my arms and the space in between the long sleeves of my shirt, provided that I was wearing a shirt made of cotton, as opposed to syntheitic material such as polyester. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tao stillness said:

The only way to know if the plant is improved from your FP practice is to do a scientific method experiment like I did in 1976 using water charged by my pyramid generator to keep a rose alive longer than another rose sitting in uncharged tap water. 

You will need 2 identical plants, same size, same species. Place one in room where you do FP. Other plant would have to be in a different room but it would also have to be exposed to the same amount of light as in your FP room to prevent confounding variables. 

Even without the experiment I know that FP produces an energy field. When I used to do FP I could feel the chi between the outside of my arms and the space in between the long sleeves of my shirt, provided that I was wearing a shirt made of cotton, as opposed to syntheitic material such as polyester. 

Funnily enough I do have another plant of the same species in another room, roughly the same distance away from a window (actually it’s a bit closer to the window), both south facing.

As you can see it doesn’t grow so upright and tall.

I still need to experiment with a long sleeve cotton shirt while doing FP but even without one I sometimes feel lots of energy around my hands and arms when I’m moving around.

4B0B7A8C-5182-4F66-8549-10D1A0117B4A.jpeg

Edited by Pak_Satrio
  • Like 1

No need to experiment with the shirt since you are already feeling the Qi. I had posted several years ago that when doing certain FP movements when bringing my hands and arms down it felt like I had to use a little bit of effort because there was this tangible force of energy like a pillow of energy that my hands had to move thru to get all the way back down to my lap. No other qigong method that I have tried resulted in that kind of tangible energy field. The slower the movements, the stronger the detection of Qi from all of Doo Wai's qigong. It's quite unique. The only drawback is the great amount of time it takes to perform FP because there are so many different meditations and some of them can take 20 minutes just for one meditation. Takes dedication that I no longer have. But good stuff for sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Howdy!

Just wanted to share some experiences that I've had while practicing FP and also talk a bit about what I've been working on. I reached out to Sifu Terry via email and he suggested that I post about my experiences and practice here. 

I've been practicing the material in Vol.1 and Vol. 2 since I received it around Jul 12.

On the weekdays, I've been doing 30 minutes of the standing meditations during the day and another 60 minutes of sitting meditations at night. 

On the weekends, I've been doing 60+ minutes of standing meditations and then 60+ minutes of sitting meditations at night. 

----------

Something happened on my first day of practice that was so surprising, that I've been walking on air ever since. 

Jul 12

I was standing in Monk Gazes at Moon for maybe 20 minutes, on that first day, when Flying Phoenix fixed my shoulder. My arm, the fingers of both hands, and part of my back kept moving and adjusting... all on their own. Pressure built up inside my deltoid and eventually, this 'dam' washed away like it was never there. An electric green/blue light (like a neon sign) shown around the fingers and then it just faded away. 

WOW. 

For context, my right shoulder was giving me a lot of grief. Something deep in the muscle or fascia was tight, stuck/fixed, whatever you want to call it. Perpetual sense of weakness and limited range of motion that was becoming worse and worse over ~6 months. 

I had tried all sorts of stretching, twisting, and massage trying to work that issue out - nothing worked - but FP did.

The energy seems to make my body want to move. At times, the energy feels like it is actually guiding my posture. Not a lot, right, but tweaks. 

-----------

Aug 2

22nd day of practice. 

9 rounds of BTB in the morning. Horse stance felt good and stable. Coordinating my limbs during the rise/fall and push/pull seems to be getting easier. 

Monk Holds Peach was CRAZY today. ~17 minutes before I counted out.

Counted in, FP energy came gently. No dramatic releases or drastic change in mindset - briefly happy, then calm.

My hips and torso did their thing - gentle twists back and forth like a washing machine. Some gentle jerks forward, like a nod or short bow, and the Peach bouncing and vibrating along. 

New thing for me: pulled into a gentle backwards bend at the waist, like my body wanted to perform some weird cross between a bridge and the leaning portion of Wind Through Treetops. This happened thrice - gentle backwards bend, snap back to upright form, gentle backwards bend, pulled into forward jerk, and back to gentle backwards bend.

New and crazy thing for me: From the backwards bend, I was pulled down into a deep forward bend (seriously deep, somewhere between an ardha uttanasana and uttanasana. I continued holding onto the peach, while my body and the FP energy did its thing. There was no pain or discomfort - I don't think I've ever bent like that so effortlessly. Ever. My amazement brought me out of the moment, so I began to count myself out and finally stood upright.

After the meditation, I noticed that my spine felt "long and open". My intuition suggests that MHPeach may be working to open/strengthen my spine. 

-----------

The system is awesome. I've also experienced stress relief, a general sense of peace and calm, and much better sleep since I began practicing 22 days ago. 

-----------

Questions

At times during MHPeach and BTB, sometimes I shake or sway, and my balance will shift in ways that make me think that I should be losing my balance - but I haven't yet fallen over.  Has anyone ever shaken/swayed/been pulled off their feet while practicing these meditations? 

During the MSW meditations, when the hands are brought down to around the level of the throat and the hands and forearms are rotated from facing-away to facing-toward, before hands are brought together in 'pearl' mudra, when should I begin the slow rotation? At the level of the throat? At the level of the shoulder? This is a part of my practice that I'm trying to iron out - sometimes, I think that I begin the rotation too early, and the rotation is stiff or sticky. 

Does anybody have any tips for a newbie? 

Happy practicing everybody,

Robert

Edited by Spicyfood
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Spicyfood said:

Questions

At times during MHPeach and BTB, sometimes I shake or sway, and my balance will shift in ways that make me think that I should be losing my balance - but I haven't yet fallen over.  Has anyone ever shaken/swayed/been pulled off their feet while practicing these meditations? 

During the MSW meditations, when the hands are brought down to around the level of the throat and the hands and forearms are rotated from facing-away to facing-toward, before hands are brought together in 'pearl' mudra, when should I begin the slow rotation? At the level of the throat? At the level of the shoulder? This is a part of my practice that I'm trying to iron out - sometimes, I think that I begin the rotation too early, and the rotation is stiff or sticky. 

Robert

Sifu Terry tells students to endeavor to remain as still as a mountain. If you are swaying a lot, it means you have a lot of blockages in your channels (meridians) and the movement of the qi is correcting some of this.

It seems you are referring to MSW1 (90 50 40 30 10), and generally I've found that your body shape, specifically your arm length can affect this. As I have shorter arms, I tend to rotate downwards just past the chin at throat level in the earth meditation mudra (not pearl) and is usually roughly halfway twisted by the time I'm at heart level.

You can find tips on the AG forum and annotated practice FAQs as seen in my signature.

Your post and this answer will be copied there for the 2022 thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spicyfood said:

Howdy!

Just wanted to share some experiences that I've had while practicing FP and also talk a bit about what I've been working on. I reached out to Sifu Terry via email and he suggested that I post about my experiences and practice here. 

I've been practicing the material in Vol.1 and Vol. 2 since I received it around Jul 12.

On the weekdays, I've been doing 30 minutes of the standing meditations during the day and another 60 minutes of sitting meditations at night. 

On the weekends, I've been doing 60+ minutes of standing meditations and then 60+ minutes of sitting meditations at night. 

----------

Something happened on my first day of practice that was so surprising, that I've been walking on air ever since. 

Jul 12

I was standing in Monk Gazes at Moon for maybe 20 minutes, on that first day, when Flying Phoenix fixed my shoulder. My arm, the fingers of both hands, and part of my back kept moving and adjusting... all on their own. Pressure built up inside my deltoid and eventually, this 'dam' washed away like it was never there. An electric green/blue light (like a neon sign) shown around the fingers and then it just faded away. 

WOW. 

For context, my right shoulder was giving me a lot of grief. Something deep in the muscle or fascia was tight, stuck/fixed, whatever you want to call it. Perpetual sense of weakness and limited range of motion that was becoming worse and worse over ~6 months. 

I had tried all sorts of stretching, twisting, and massage trying to work that issue out - nothing worked - but FP did.

The energy seems to make my body want to move. At times, the energy feels like it is actually guiding my posture. Not a lot, right, but tweaks. 

-----------

Aug 2

22nd day of practice. 

9 rounds of BTB in the morning. Horse stance felt good and stable. Coordinating my limbs during the rise/fall and push/pull seems to be getting easier. 

Counted in, FP energy came gently. No dramatic releases or drastic change in mindset - briefly happy, then calm.

My hips and torso did their thing - gentle twists back and forth like a washing machine. Some gentle jerks forward, like a nod or short bow, and the Peach bouncing and vibrating along. 

New thing for me: pulled into a gentle backwards bend at the waist, like my body wanted to perform some weird cross between a bridge and the leaning portion of Wind Through Treetops. This happened thrice - gentle backwards bend, snap back to upright form, gentle backwards bend, pulled into forward jerk, and back to gentle backwards bend.

New and crazy thing for me: From the backwards bend, I was pulled down into a deep forward bend (seriously deep, somewhere between an ardha uttanasana and uttanasana. I continued holding onto the peach, while my body and the FP energy did its thing. There was no pain or discomfort - I don't think I've ever bent like that so effortlessly. Ever. My amazement brought me out of the moment, so I began to count myself out and finally stood upright.

After the meditation, I noticed that my spine felt "long and open". My intuition suggests that MHPeach may be working to open/strengthen my spine. 

-----------

The system is awesome. I've also experienced stress relief, a general sense of peace and calm, and much better sleep since I began practicing 22 days ago. 

-----------

Questions

Robert

Amazing experiences! There will be more to come!

Don’t worry too much about the spontaneous shaking and moving, eventually they will stop as you progress. 

On 03/08/2022 at 4:41 AM, Spicyfood said:

Howdy!

----------

Jul 12

WOW. 

-----------

Aug 2

22nd day of practice. 

-----------

-----------

Questions

Robert

Spicyfood, are you doing all the standing meditations on the Vol.1 DVD, or just selected ones? The same question for the sitting meditations.

7 hours ago, hierundjetzt said:

Spicyfood, are you doing all the standing meditations on the Vol.1 DVD, or just selected ones? The same question for the sitting meditations.

Hi hierundjetzt,

Yes 👍 and Yes 👍

I do all of the exercises in both volumes on my free days. On free days, it's standing meds in a single long session in the early day. Then it's all of the seated meditations, excluding MSW#3 in a long session at night.

During the week, I'm trying to rotate through the static meds while improving my BTB.

So, it'll be static(15min) + BTB(9 rounds or ~15min)

And the next day, it will be two statics at 10 min or so + BTB(~10 min).

The night practice is seated.

I'll do all three warm-ups, but I'll spend longer in one of them. The one that I emphasize changes each night. And then it's 7 rounds of MSW#1 and #2.

But there are two meditations that I have not given as much time and practice to - Wind Above Clouds and MSW#3.

When I do MSW#3, it will be in the morning, if I'm already up early, and it'd be before the standing practice.

WAC feels incredible after a long session, but it hasn't yet made it into the weekday rotation. I'm not sure that it should replace BTB, but I'm open to suggestions.

Let me know what you think of my practice schedule

Cheers and thanks 🙏

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Spicyfood said:

Let me know what you think of my practice schedule

Cheers and thanks 🙏

Looks very good, but if I may make a suggestion, I would do all 3 MSW seated meditations in a row.

Sifu Terry wrote this about it:

“Doing Three Times Consecutive Monk Serves Wine Meditations in One Session

Training tip for (1) a very sound sleep, (2) a highly altered (and usually blissful) state of consciousness, and (3) reversion of the aging process and its visible signs:

Regular correct daily practice of any three of the seated MSW meditations (Vols. 2 and/or Vol. 7) in succession will impart verifiable signs of rejuvenation of human tissues within several days if not immediately the next morning. Naturally, practicing one or more the Standing FP Meditations as well will make the 3 seated meditation practice even more powerful in its healing effects.”

I’ve started doing all 3 in a row from today, previously I just did one MSW or one seated warm up meditation a day until I read through that thread again and saw his suggestion.

Already it feels like my face is changing, my cheeks and the area under my eyes are much tighter. Will monitor it for the next few days and see how it goes.

Maybe for you since you are doing it at night you can do MSW1, then MSW2, then MSW1 again. Or MSW2, then MSW1 then MSW2 again. Try it out and see how it feels for you!

In the morning I would suggest you do MSW3 after you finish the standing exercises and then do seated stillness meditation for 10 minutes at the end. Also you should end your night time session with seated stillness meditation too.

• Like 3

On 06/08/2022 at 12:32 AM, Pak_Satrio said:

I’ve started doing all 3 in a row from today, previously I just did one MSW or one seated warm up meditation a day until I read through that thread again and saw his suggestion.

Already it feels like my face is changing, my cheeks and the area under my eyes are much tighter. Will monitor it for the next few days and see how it goes.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you continued doing this, and how has it been going? 

• Like 1

Update

Over time, since starting FPCK, I have been very negligent with my practice due to the usual tiredness I have always mentioned that I cultivate due to my busy lifestyle. I have recently made efforts to come back though, because as a lot of you know, the effects on me are fast and strong.

However, FPCK has always been in the back of my mind, like a lover you think of every day. The day would inevitably return that my practice would resume, though I have been on and off since the start of the year.

So here is a recent effect that I found worthy of sharing:

Context:

I recenty caught feelings for someone, the type of feelings that are quite overwhelming because it is not only reciprocated, but also subject to many synchronicities and some telepathy. I have suddenly experienced a strong energetic force from this love, that made me feel as if I had been asleep all my life. The love ignited my soul and I have felt more alive than ever. This has resulted in a lot of turmoil in my mind, as I have never experienced this. The first few months of this feeling were filled with ego-driven fear and even panic, and I tried to escape the friendship many times, but was pulled back by my friend, who would not let me go, in spite of my awful regular emotional outbursts and irrational rants.

I then felt the urge to practice Monk Holding Peach and involuntary thoughts came to mind regarding these feelings. 

A process happened extremely fast (within two sessions in one day), in which deep truths dawned on me about my feelings and about my spiritual growth. Very fast, I realised how much of my suffering was caused by my mind's mechanism. Within MHP sessions, I released these mental blockages and realised the errors I had previously made in my understanding of what love means. All my issues suddenly became insignificant and while practising, I absorbed the meaning of unconditional acceptance and experienced true empathy for my friend. All feelings of blame dissolved immediately and were replaced with deep compassion and understanding. I also realised nothing is about me. Each person is advancing at their pace and I have no veto on their soul to change anything at all about them, and my previous feeling of inconvenience was only an indication of my own state of being. I could go on and on about all the aspects I understood in the space of a very short time, but these are those that came to mind right now.

I must point out that this experience was not thought-driven. It was purely energetic. I can only verbally describe the process in retrospect. I just remember intense feelings of gratitude washing over me and myself repeating thank you many times as I was doing the meditation.

Since that session, my feelings have changed, in that the love is still present, but all fear concerning it has left me. I am able to feel the love, without the attachment I had before. Now, time, duration, commitment levels, need for validation, need for certain verbal affirmations from my friend etc. all have lost their importance. I am able to accept the present and what it contains, without the million unnecessary questions I posed before. The feeling of love is at once of great magnitude and great simplicity. Even if we should part ways, I will be at peace. The possessive aspect has no importance here. The important factor is for each (us two) to be spiritually fulfilled, according to our individual needs and life paths, which will be perfectly seen to by life itself, no matter what.

A peace has come over me, and I am certain that Monk Holding Peach has accelerated a process that I could not have experienced through mental exercise and certainly not from reading a book!

The meditation was accompanied by intense heat leaving my head, which I believe came from the heart region. It is what was being released by spontaneous crying. I felt loved by the divine forces and a true transformation was taking place in me. The compassion I felt was a source of bliss. The true jist of the experience was an initial amplification of the feeling of love, until such a point where the magnitude of that feeling became unbearably painful, till the pain was released and the quality of the love was purified with only serenity being left.

I hope this testimony may help other practitioners.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Astral_butterfly said:

Thanks for the feedback. Have you continued doing this, and how has it been going? 

Been doing it every day since then (with one weekend off), not too much has changed since then, face still feels tight and no bags under eyes but still have a few wrinkles in my forehead and one gray hair in my beard! But I’ve been doing the basic MSW, haven’t learned the advanced MSW from Vol. 7 yet which are meant to be more powerful and bring drastic changes so will be excited to try that out! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Astral_butterfly said:

Update

Over time, since starting FPCK, I have been very negligent with my practice due to the usual tiredness I have always mentioned that I cultivate due to my busy lifestyle. I have recently made efforts to come back though, because as a lot of you know, the effects on me are fast and strong.

However, FPCK has always been in the back of my mind, like a lover you think of every day. The day would inevitably return that my practice would resume, though I have been on and off since the start of the year.

So here is a recent effect that I found worthy of sharing:

Context:

I recenty caught feelings for someone, the type of feelings that are quite overwhelming because it is not only reciprocated, but also subject to many synchronicities and some telepathy. I have suddenly experienced a strong energetic force from this love, that made me feel as if I had been asleep all my life. The love ignited my soul and I have felt more alive than ever. This has resulted in a lot of turmoil in my mind, as I have never experienced this. The first few months of this feeling were filled with ego-driven fear and even panic, and I tried to escape the friendship many times, but was pulled back by my friend, who would not let me go, in spite of my awful regular emotional outbursts and irrational rants.

I then felt the urge to practice Monk Holding Peach and involuntary thoughts came to mind regarding these feelings. 

A process happened extremely fast (within two sessions in one day), in which deep truths dawned on me about my feelings and about my spiritual growth. Very fast, I realised how much of my suffering was caused by my mind's mechanism. Within MHP sessions, I released these mental blockages and realised the errors I had previously made in my understanding of what love means. All my issues suddenly became insignificant and while practising, I absorbed the meaning of unconditional acceptance and experienced true empathy for my friend. All feelings of blame dissolved immediately and were replaced with deep compassion and understanding. I also realised nothing is about me. Each person is advancing at their pace and I have no veto on their soul to change anything at all about them, and my previous feeling of inconvenience was only an indication of my own state of being. I could go on and on about all the aspects I understood in the space of a very short time, but these are those that came to mind right now.

I must point out that this experience was not thought-driven. It was purely energetic. I can only verbally describe the process in retrospect. I just remember intense feelings of gratitude washing over me and myself repeating thank you many times as I was doing the meditation.

Since that session, my feelings have changed, in that the love is still present, but all fear concerning it has left me. I am able to feel the love, without the attachment I had before. Now, time, duration, commitment levels, need for validation, need for certain verbal affirmations from my friend etc. all have lost their importance. I am able to accept the present and what it contains, without the million unnecessary questions I posed before. The feeling of love is at once of great magnitude and great simplicity. Even if we should part ways, I will be at peace. The possessive aspect has no importance here. The important factor is for each (us two) to be spiritually fulfilled, according to our individual needs and life paths, which will be perfectly seen to by life itself, no matter what.

A peace has come over me, and I am certain that Monk Holding Peach has accelerated a process that I could not have experienced through mental exercise and certainly not from reading a book!

The meditation was accompanied by intense heat leaving my head, which I believe came from the heart region. It is what was being released by spontaneous crying. I felt loved by the divine forces and a true transformation was taking place in me. The compassion I felt was a source of bliss. The true jist of the experience was an initial amplification of the feeling of love, until such a point where the magnitude of that feeling became unbearably painful, till the pain was released and the quality of the love was purified with only serenity being left.

I hope this testimony may help other practitioners.

That was really beautiful to read, I’m glad we got to discover this amazing system. 

• Like 2

Processing true feelings until the pain ultimately changes to joy is a method from ancient India that few people, including psychotherapists, know about. So interesting to hear that it happened spontaneously as a result of Flying Phoenix. Feelings that have not been completely felt get trapped in our energy bodies and this impedes the flow of Qi. Doing FP is more comfortable than making the unconscious conscious via psychotherapy. Much cheaper too!

Sounds like you had a Divine assisted transformation.

• Like 2

Hi all, I'm interested in taking up FP to complement a taiji practice (just getting the wuji down at the moment). Is it safe to practice for individuals who lack grounding? I tend to be stuck in the head, so much so it doesn't take much to trigger headaches if I strain a little too much when studying or get a little too stressed. 

Can FP be an issue for people like myself, might it actually help resolve the issues, or perhaps only ideal if complemented by other activities to balance things out? 

I don't want to try FP for any particular reason, I'm just curious, given how much @Earl Grey and @Pak_Satrio like to recommend it! Just want to be sure I'm not going to make things worse for myself :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, -_sometimes said:

Hi all, I'm interested in taking up FP to complement a taiji practice (just getting the wuji down at the moment). Is it safe to practice for individuals who lack grounding? I tend to be stuck in the head, so much so it doesn't take much to trigger headaches if I strain a little too much when studying or get a little too stressed. 

Can FP be an issue for people like myself, might it actually help resolve the issues, or perhaps only ideal if complemented by other activities to balance things out? 

I don't want to try FP for any particular reason, I'm just curious, given how much @Earl Grey and @Pak_Satrio like to recommend it! Just want to be sure I'm not going to make things worse for myself :)

Totally safe and is great for Tai Chi students as it improves your song (relaxation). 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, -_sometimes said:

Completely safe and there’s no straining involved at all with any of the postures. It’s much more effective if you are totally relaxed in your body and mind. If anything it will make you less stressed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 20/08/2022 at 7:36 AM, Earl Grey said:

Totally safe and is great for Tai Chi students as it improves your song (relaxation). 

Earl Grey, do you happen to also know if FP can be practiced complimentary to sleeping qigong as thought by John Dolic, or would be contraindicated?

2 hours ago, hierundjetzt said:

Earl Grey, do you happen to also know if FP can be practiced complimentary to sleeping qigong as thought by John Dolic, or would be contraindicated?

No problem at all; I practiced both for years, but separated the Big Body practice from FP by a half hour. For the sleeping exercises, I can do them right after FP no problem, it's the Big Body practice during the day that I try to keep separate.

4 minutes ago, Earl Grey said:

No problem at all; I practiced both for years, but separated the Big Body practice from FP by a half hour. For the sleeping exercises, I can do them right after FP no problem, it's the Big Body practice during the day that I try to keep separate.

Thanks a lot! I will try to find the time to begin practicing some of the FP meditations then, as they seem really good from the feedback on this forum. 

• Like 1

Hello I hope you are all well !

I want to ask for how long you hold the standing meditations postures in volume one for maximum benefits ?

when doing the monk gazing at the moon standing pose I have jerking movements ,that’s mean that I should concentrate more in this posture? 🙏🏽

10 hours ago, Karlos said:

Hello I hope you are all well !

I want to ask for how long you hold the standing meditations postures in volume one for maximum benefits ?

when doing the monk gazing at the moon standing pose I have jerking movements ,that’s mean that I should concentrate more in this posture? 🙏🏽

Do at least 10 minutes but of course as long as possible is always better.

Don’t worry about the jerking movements, keep as still as you can and eventually it will go away. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2022 at 6:11 PM, Pak_Satrio said:

Do at least 10 minutes but of course as long as possible is always better.

Don’t worry about the jerking movements, keep as still as you can and eventually it will go away. 

Thanks, Pak_Satrio, for providing good guidance in answering Karlos' s question.

Here is further refinement in answer to Karlos's question:

Beginners should aim towards holding the basic standing meditations in Volume 1 for 5 minutes as a first goal.  (We're talking about Monk Gazing At the Moon, Monk Holding Peach, and Monk Holding the Pearl.)  Then work up to 10 minutes.  Then incrementally increase the duration of practice for each one up to 15 and then 20 minutes.  Plan your practice so that you cover all 3 of these stationary standing meditations in one practice. 

*For optimal health benefits, practice the FP meditations in the order that they're presented in Volume 1:

1.  Monk Gazing At Moon

2.  Bending the Bows

3.  Monk Holding the Peach

4.  Monk Holding the Pearl

5.  Wind Above the Clouds.

Once you've practiced all 5 of the above FP meditations regularly for 2 to 3 months and feel the smooth energization brought on by each., and have experienced the cumulative effect of doing all 5 meditations in one session, you can "experiment "and vary your practice in these ways without any ill effects:

A.  Practice the Volume 1 exercises in reverse order--i.e., go Meds #5, 4, 3, 2, 1:   from #5 Wind Above the Clouds  to #1 Monk Gazing At Moon.

B.  Do all 5 Meditations where you do the 3 stationary meditations  together in this order:  MGM, Monk Holding Peach, Monk Holding Pear.  That means you're doing the 2 moving meditations (Bending the Bows, Wind Above the Clouds) one following the other.  You can practice the 2 moving meditations first and then do the 3 stationary meditations or you can practice to the 3 stationary meditations and then follow with the 2 moving meditations.  (When you do the 2 moving meditations back to back, it doesn't matter if you do Bending the Bows first or Wind Above the Clouds first.) 

C.   Bending the Bows is all important and essential:   But for best results no matter what order you do the 5 standing FP meditations of Volume 1, you MUST work yourselves up to doing Bending the Bows in a set of 18 repetitions.  

And as you slow down your practice of each round of Bending the Bows to approach the optimal speed of "moving like a shifting sand dune", your practice of 18 rounds of BTB will increase from 8 minutes to 16 minutes to 32 minutes... and even much longer.  Budget your time accordingly. But start with a time allotment equal to the time it takes for you to practice  Volume One from start to finish.  Then increase your practice time as you do each of the 3 stationery exercises for up to 10, 15, and 20 minutes, and as you increase the duration that you do the 18 rounds of Bending the Bows.

D.   If you're just starting Flying Phoenix Qigong and have not done other Qigong, Tai Chi or Chinese martial arts before, make sure that you do the Warm-up Exercises that I present at the beginning.  They come from different traditions but are valuable and worth doing. The point is to not strain or to make  your self too sore.  

E.   Involuntary vibratory states induced by FP Qigong.  As Pak Satrio, advised, don't worry about the involuntary vibratory states ("the jerking") that may be induced by any of the FP meditations.  The vibrations in all their forms in all directions--shaking, buckling, swaying, twisting at waist, light bouncing up and down through the soles of the feet, even tossings--are all part of the relaxation response that vary from person to person.  As I've described throughout this discussion since it started in 2009, the vibrations--if they come-- will always subside as you practice longer.  In general, as your entire human process relaxes more with the greater circulation of the FP Healing Chi, the vibratory states will become subtle.

Enjoy our exploration of the FP Qigong standing meds., Karlos.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4