Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Hi, I want to ask about the breathing in Flying Phoenix.

Nan Huai-Jin taught that all qi-gong should be done with reverse-breathing into the lower dantian (abdomen inwards when breathing in), if not it causes weakness of the intestines and imbalances, leading to a big belly. May I know why we learn the opposite? (ie. breathing in expanding the abdomen.)

Edited by taoguy
  • Like 1

Last night at my evening Qigong class, I taught the following combination of Tao Tan Pai   and Flying Phoenix meditations according to  feedback of the students.

For warm-up, I taught:

A.  the  first 13 standing meditations of the Tao Tan Pai 31 Exercises* (basic level Nei Kung)- 55 min.

B.  TTP basic (seated) Ex. 16* - 5 breathe retentsions over 5 min.

C.  TTP basic (seated) Ex. 18.* -  5 min.  

D.  Preliminary seated Flying Phoenix meditations (50 10 50 stationary) and

E.  (50 30 10)--the second and third editations on Volume 2 of the CKFH DVD series.

After a 10 min. break:

F.   Bending the Bows (12 reps, very slowly) - 20 minutes

G.  Wind Above the Clouds (one round) - 3 minutes (very slowly)

H.  Monk Serves Wine (20 40 90 10 -- last meditation, I believe, on Volume 7 DVD) - 7 rounds 15 minutes.

All seated meditations done in front of a pale powder "denim" blue candle.

*The Tao Tan Pai 31 Exercises including all the meditations described in A, B, C above will be coming to DVD within the next year.

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry Dunn,

Thank you very much for your reply to my questions about Flying Phoenix Chi Kung being compatible with any religious practice and about unity of religions.

Actually, it would be most interesting to carry on this conversation about religions, but it seems more appropriate to leave it at it is. Thank you also for this quote extracted from W.Y. Evans-Wentz's book. I have taken the book out of my shelves and will read again the Introduction. I had forgotten about its content.

I hope to be back soon in this thread,

Sincerely

edited for grammar

Edited by smallsteps
  • Like 1

Sifu Terry, I am extremely excited to hear that in addition to new Flying Phoenix DVDs coming out within a year that there will also be Tao Tan Pai. Will the Eight Sections of Energy Combined come to DVD eventually as well or are you reserving that for in-person training/Skype? (Both of which I will hope to be able to do with you soon to level up my training from beyond just DVD work!)

• Like 2

I don't know if this applies to chi kung or just meditation, but I think both. During deep mediation there is a valuable substance produced called ojas, according to Ayurveda. This substance reaches the surface of the skin and therefore it is advised not to shower soon after mediation. I would think that ojas would also be produced during chi kung. I have seen many chi kung instructors advise not to shower directly after chi kung, give it some time.

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry Dunn,

Thank you very much for your reply to my questions about Flying Phoenix Chi Kung being compatible with any religious practice and about unity of religions.

Actually, it would be most interesting to carry on this conversation about religions, but it seems more appropriate to leave it at it is. Thank you also for this quote extracted from W.Y. Evans-Wentz's book. I have taken the book out of my shelves and will read again the Introduction. I had forgotten about its content.

I hope to be back soon in this thread,

Sincerely

edited for grammar

Hi SmallSteps,

You're welcome.

Regarding W.Y. Evans-Wentz's book, besides the introductions concerning your posted topic question, the unity of all religions, I strongly recommend reading and studying the first 1/3 or so of the book devoted to "Precepts of the Gurus" and "Elegant Sayings".  They form a complete proverbial book of wisdom and an invaluable yogic, psychological, and spiritual roadmap for any person committed to the path of healthful integration of mind and body, the elevation of consciousness thereby, and the development of one's spiritual potential.  As I've stated many times in many places, the footnotes of "Tibetan Yoga and Secret Doctrines" contain more authentic yoga and secret, esoteric yogic doctrine than any shelf full of new age books.  Everything from detailed yogic and spiritual operations with purposes ranging from self-purification, to mastering the dreamstate, to perfecting lucidity during earthly existence and transfering it to the bardo state, to attaining liberation from sangsaric existence (enlightenment), to healing the individual, to healing the state through numerous sacred rites of exorcism and Mystery Plays, to becoming a bodhisattva, aka saint, Taoist Immortal, . 

But most useful and relevant to the neophyte meditator and yogin are the Precepts of the Gurus, which is so complete so as to "fill in all the gaps" that might exist in any spiritual path that one might be embarked upon, including monastic orders north, south, east, or west.

e.g., here is a definition of "Gift wave conference" on pages 213-214 of one yogic operation that one can utilize  while in Flying Phoenix Meditation.

...Arya Deva, hath said:

'All apparent phenomena are like dreams and magical

illusions,

As all followers of the Buddha assert;

But those [of the Southern School] who oppose the

practice of inducing "gift-wave" conference on oneself,4

See not by actual realization this dream-like and illusory

nature of things.'

4 This refers to the practice common to Northern Buddhists, in Tibet, China,

Mongolia, and Japan, and opposed by Southern Buddhists, of Ceylon, Burmah,

and Siam, of employing rituals which imply a direct appeal or prayer to

deities, either regarded as being imaginary, as in the visualizations contained in

the various texts comprising this volume, or as real divine impersonal forces, as

symbolized by the Dharma-Kaya. There are some, but very few, amongst

Northern Buddhists who, in this matter, side with the Southern Buddhists.

The 'gift-waves', or spiritual power telepathically transmitted from the superhuman

gurus to the gurus on Earth and thence to the disciples, are evoked in

virtue of a yogic process akin to auto-suggestion. In other words, the yogin

aims at making known his desire for divine guidance by consciously projecting

perceptible waves of psychic influence to the superhuman realms wherein

exist the Great Teachers, Who are no longer incarnate. To this end he makes

use of mental concentration upon rituals and visualizations of deities, either

purely imaginary or relatively real.

The Southern Buddhists, in Arya Deva's view, are in their opposition to

these Northern Buddhist yogic practices, much like the psychologist who seeks

knowledge at second hand, or from external sources, rather than from within himself.

The essential teaching of our Mahayana texts is that the Divine Wisdom, the All-Knowledge,

is innate, or internal; in the Christian sense, that the Kingdom of Heaven lies within.

Enjoy your reading of this treasure trove of yogic and spiritual secrets.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry,

I'm a beginner when it comes to FPCK and I would like to make a daily practice of Flying Phoenix. I have volumes 1-5 of your program.

On your website you mention that "Regular practice of just 15 to 20 minutes per day creates a super-abundance of the distinctive (and unmistakable) Flying Phoenix healing energy"

I would like to start with 15 to 20 minutes a day. What is the best way to create a 15 -20 practice schedule?

Being realistic I would imagine eventully practicing 30 - 40 minutes daily. What is the best way to create a 30m - 40m practice schedule and when practicing 30-40m a day would I be better off practicing two shorter sessions or one longer session? 

Many thanks,

Adam

• Like 2

Adam, a very good question indeed as I have always wondered how to fit in Flying Phoenix during the limited amount of time I have left for qigong during the day. Especially since some of the single meditations can take 15 minutes each to perform.

• Like 1

As someone who at times only has the very end of the day to practice, I try to get in at least 10-15 minutes of one static meditation and then the minimum for up to 3 seated and 3 standing total. Oftentimes I do much more. 

Usually, my night practice is Wind Through the Tree Tops, Wind Above the Clouds, one standing static, and then any three of the first five seated meditations, but NEVER the "waker-upper" sixth seated meditation on volume 2 (90% 80% 50% 20%) since I will never sleep if I do that.

It is also 0103 in the morning in Manila now and I should get started on those meditations before hitting the hay tonight. It's worked wonders for me too and given me much better sleep at night.

• Like 2

Earl Grey, I am glad to learn that I am not the only Dao bum up past midnight doing chi kung. I keep hoping to get an earlier start but family life gets in the way.

• Like 1

Tao Stillness, life gets in the way and I sure would love more time to do Flying Phoenix for hours if I could. But I also believe that it's part of the path of the soul reintegrating itself and timing is always right whenever we commit even for just a few minutes daily. 

• Like 1

Hi Sifu Terry,

I'm a beginner when it comes to FPCK and I would like to make a daily practice of Flying Phoenix. I have volumes 1-5 of your program.

On your website you mention that "Regular practice of just 15 to 20 minutes per day creates a super-abundance of the distinctive (and unmistakable) Flying Phoenix healing energy"

I would like to start with 15 to 20 minutes a day. What is the best way to create a 15 -20 practice schedule?

Being realistic I would imagine eventully practicing 30 - 40 minutes daily. What is the best way to create a 30m - 40m practice schedule and when practicing 30-40m a day would I be better off practicing two shorter sessions or one longer session? 

Many thanks,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Welcome to the FP Qigong thread.  15- 20 minutes a day is the bare minimum to get a toe-hold on this system. Ideally, one should spend at least 40-45 minutes practicing FP Qigong.  I think one subscriber posted early on in year one that he found that an average min. of 25 minutes of continuous practice ensured that he felt the FP Healing Energy manifest.  So first, I would adjust our bare minimum to "25 to 30 minutes."

Second, thank you to Apeiron&Periron and Tao Stillness for their advice on how to make use of 15-20 minutes.

My advice is similar:  all beginners should try to steep themselves in each of the basic standing and seated FP Meditations for 10 to 15 minutes.  All the Monk Serves Wine seated meds. take 15 minutes or more because they have to be done in sets of 7 repetitions.

The basic advice is "Quality, not quantity."  You can devote the 25 minutes to one or two meditations, or once you are underway with daily practice, you can sometimes do five minutes of 5 FP Meditations. 

The advice on the online Guidelines is to start with one standing and one seated, or two standing and two seated meds. and practice them daily until you feel saturated. Then add a third standing and third seated and increase your practice time.  If you cannot increase your practice time by adding new Meditations, then substitute out each meditation after you've done it daily for 2 weeks.

There are many ways of getting "coverage" of all the Meditations on the Chi Kung For Health DVD series.  But I would agree that the basic bare minimum of practice is 25 minutes.

Enjoy the practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 3

FLYING PHOENIX QIGONG SEMINAR IN NEW YORK CITY ON NOV. 13 AT 3PM.

Hello to all Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and enthusiasts.

This workshop was scheduled just yesterday, so it comes with rather short notice:

For my friends and students in NYC and the Northeast:   next Sunday, Nov. 13, from 3pm to 7pm, I will be giving an introductory workshop on Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong  at the lovely North Sky Kung Fu studio operated by Sifu Julie Shwartzman, a 23-year practitioner of Eagle Claw Kung Fu--and a fellow Yalie, by the way.  Here are the details:

http://www.northskykungfu.com/masterdunnseminar.html

The e-flyer states that I will be teaching as a substantial warm-up regimen leading up the the FP Qigong practice:  the first 16 meditations of the Tao Tan Pai 31 Exercises--which in itself will be a profound Nei Kung experience.  So this workshop will be two Qigong arts back to back.  As confirmed by medical clairvoyant Eric Isen for three FPCK discussion subscribers that I know of:  Tao Tan Pai internal arts is an outstanding foundation and catalyst that enhances the effects of Flying Phoenix Qigong.

Then I will proceed to teach and refine all the FP Meditations on Volumes 1 through 3 of the DVD series:  "Monk Gazing at Moon" through "Moonbeam Splashes on Water."

You all know what Flying Phoenix Qigong can do.   The core group of attendees already registered are martial arts instructors in the NE area.  So they are beginners.   I hope many of you in NYC and the Northeast can make it to this workshop despite such short notice because it will be a great opportunity to get corrections and tune-ups and corrections to further your practice.

Good practicing.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

today I have avoided election news and views.

7:30 am  teaching practicing Long Form TCC ...beginning w Zhan Zhuang finishing w ZZ.  One hour.

Moving hay and feed from town to barn ...Long Form 22 minute right side (original)  nap  LOL

Walk 2 miles.  Long form left side also about 20 min.  

Supper.   25 min Zhan Zhuang.   18 min  Ba duan jin .  

Guided meditation Thich Nhat Hanh ...

Peace to all beings 

thanks to Sifu Dunn for pointing new directions and intensities..

What do you mean when you give your durations? Do you include the warm-ups? I literally do 10 minutes warm up with up to ten minutes of one or two standing meds per day as, as I have mentioned before, I have very limited time. From time to time I do more as I can manage to fit in. However I do feel the connection and the energy. This is why I am amazed at how powerful the system is. Sometimes I really only have time to just about start a med when my daughter starts yanking at me but just having been able to touch the energy is a consolation.

There are many ways of getting "coverage" of all the Meditations on the Chi Kung For Health DVD series.  But I would agree that the basic bare minimum of practice is 25 minutes.

Enjoy the practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thank you Sifu Terry.

My intention is to practice 30 mins or so daily, with the option of a 15-20 minute session if I really don't have the time. Working on the theory that 15m is better than nothing.

Thank you Apeiron&Peiron and Earl Grey for your ideas.

Adam

• Like 2

I have just finished a gong of over 100 days and while I can't really say much on this thread to contribute to what has already been said many times by different users posting here, and because I already outlined it in my personal practice forum here on The Dao Bums, what I will share here is that I will now try to attempt a year or longer of uninterrupted practice. It was already a challenge to do so for over 100 days, but it worked and had a deep impact on me. 

Yes, I have more energy, but I find its unique property of more alertness and gentleness, very subtle and still impacts my healing to the point I don't even consciously have to give Reiki to patients before they feel better in my presence. Yes, I dream more lucidly and do forms that impact lucidity, especially Monk Gazing at Moon, Monk Holding Peach, the first two basic seated meditations (5% 60% 80% 40% 30% and 50% 30% 10%) that allow me to manipulate the dream world if I really need to save myself from trouble. And yes, my martial forms are much stronger and alert when doing sensing hands or even defending myself from hooligans attacking me at night. Yes, the plants in my apartment are growing very, very well in the room that I practice Flying Phoenix. All of this I believe I shared before and detailed even more in my personal practice journal. 

I am thankful again to the Doo Wai family and Sifu Terry for this. If I have anything else to contribute, perhaps I will add, but it's really reinforcing more of what has been said many times here about the benefits, unless it's something unique to my own health and karma. 

• Like 1

Congrats Earl Grey on achieving 100 days. I will restart my Flying Phoenix practice beginning this Monday. (wanted to start weeks ago, but family problems, work, exams got in the way so I only practiced Yoga) I hope to reach a large number of days also. There is no point in doing a practice like this "half a$$ed"  :D. Also your personal practice journal is very interesting.

• Like 1

I'm curious btw. why is that body often seems to "not want to do it" ? I mean, it's just some stading and moving positions nothing complicated really I wish to do it for hours but when I do 10-20-30 minutes the body starting to do everything else but not practice - there is a reason behind it? The practice itself is wonderful, very powerful and strong I wish to do it more but somehow I can not keep more then I want to even if my body is not tired or anything like that - what is reason of this blockage?

• Like 1

Congrats Earl Grey on achieving 100 days. I will restart my Flying Phoenix practice beginning this Monday. (wanted to start weeks ago, but family problems, work, exams got in the way so I only practiced Yoga) I hope to reach a large number of days also. There is no point in doing a practice like this "half a$$ed"  :D. Also your personal practice journal is very interesting.

Thank you! I only skipped one day after posting this because my congestion made it impossible to breathe through my nose for the day. But the energy really stays for a long time. So I love it! I haven't even practiced Moonbeam Splashes on Water yet, so let's see where that takes me and what the capstone form does. Can't wait!

Earl Gray maybe time to add Golden Pheonix to it?

What is Golden Phoenix? 

I'm curious btw. why is that body often seems to "not want to do it" ? I mean, it's just some stading and moving positions nothing complicated really I wish to do it for hours but when I do 10-20-30 minutes the body starting to do everything else but not practice - there is a reason behind it? The practice itself is wonderful, very powerful and strong I wish to do it more but somehow I can not keep more then I want to even if my body is not tired or anything like that - what is reason of this blockage?

My best guess is analogous to a cup of tea: qi is tea, and the cup is our body. The cup can only hold so much tea before it overflows, so the more you practice, the bigger your cup gets, but it is gradual. Your body therefore can't handle so much on the onset perhaps? In addition, the qi is intelligent and seems to determine if you've had enough? 

Let's see what Sifu Terry says. I am curious to know and learn as well. 

Golden Phoenix is advanced version of Flying one but moves are pretty simple too. It's use to generate type of Qi to revive small dead animals that Sifu Terry spoke about in his stories.

I haven't encountered Golden Phoenix yet and don't believe it's on any of the current DVDs, so I'd likely have to learn it from Sifu Terry himself, and he can determine if I am ready and qualified for this. Thank you for the recommendation though.

• Like 2