Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I just received the first volume today and excited to start! I do have a question before I begin though - can the meditations in Volume 1 be done at any time throughout the day? What about close to sleeping, 1 hour to half an hour before, would this effect one's sleep negatively in any way?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, -_sometimes said:

I just received the first volume today and excited to start! I do have a question before I begin though - can the meditations in Volume 1 be done at any time throughout the day? What about close to sleeping, 1 hour to half an hour before, would this effect one's sleep negatively in any way?

Any time. You likely will get better sleep and have an easier time waking up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:12 PM, zen-bear said:

Thanks, Pak_Satrio, for providing good guidance in answering Karlos' s question.

Here is further refinement in answer to Karlos's question:

Beginners should aim towards holding the basic standing meditations in Volume 1 for 5 minutes as a first goal.  (We're talking about Monk Gazing At the Moon, Monk Holding Peach, and Monk Holding the Pearl.)  Then work up to 10 minutes.  Then incrementally increase the duration of practice for each one up to 15 and then 20 minutes.  Plan your practice so that you cover all 3 of these stationary standing meditations in one practice. 

*For optimal health benefits, practice the FP meditations in the order that they're presented in Volume 1:

1.  Monk Gazing At Moon

2.  Bending the Bows

3.  Monk Holding the Peach

4.  Monk Holding the Pearl

5.  Wind Above the Clouds.

Once you've practiced all 5 of the above FP meditations regularly for 2 to 3 months and feel the smooth energization brought on by each., and have experienced the cumulative effect of doing all 5 meditations in one session, you can "experiment "and vary your practice in these ways without any ill effects:

A.  Practice the Volume 1 exercises in reverse order--i.e., go Meds #5, 4, 3, 2, 1:   from #5 Wind Above the Clouds  to #1 Monk Gazing At Moon.

B.  Do all 5 Meditations where you do the 3 stationary meditations  together in this order:  MGM, Monk Holding Peach, Monk Holding Pear.  That means you're doing the 2 moving meditations (Bending the Bows, Wind Above the Clouds) one following the other.  You can practice the 2 moving meditations first and then do the 3 stationary meditations or you can practice to the 3 stationary meditations and then follow with the 2 moving meditations.  (When you do the 2 moving meditations back to back, it doesn't matter if you do Bending the Bows first or Wind Above the Clouds first.) 

C.   Bending the Bows is all important and essential:   But for best results no matter what order you do the 5 standing FP meditations of Volume 1, you MUST work yourselves up to doing Bending the Bows in a set of 18 repetitions.  

And as you slow down your practice of each round of Bending the Bows to approach the optimal speed of "moving like a shifting sand dune", your practice of 18 rounds of BTB will increase from 8 minutes to 16 minutes to 32 minutes... and even much longer.  Budget your time accordingly. But start with a time allotment equal to the time it takes for you to practice  Volume One from start to finish.  Then increase your practice time as you do each of the 3 stationery exercises for up to 10, 15, and 20 minutes, and as you increase the duration that you do the 18 rounds of Bending the Bows.

D.   If you're just starting Flying Phoenix Qigong and have not done other Qigong, Tai Chi or Chinese martial arts before, make sure that you do the Warm-up Exercises that I present at the beginning.  They come from different traditions but are valuable and worth doing. The point is to not strain or to make  your self too sore.  

E.   Involuntary vibratory states induced by FP Qigong.  As Pak Satrio, advised, don't worry about the involuntary vibratory states ("the jerking") that may be induced by any of the FP meditations.  The vibrations in all their forms in all directions--shaking, buckling, swaying, twisting at waist, light bouncing up and down through the soles of the feet, even tossings--are all part of the relaxation response that vary from person to person.  As I've described throughout this discussion since it started in 2009, the vibrations--if they come-- will always subside as you practice longer.  In general, as your entire human process relaxes more with the greater circulation of the FP Healing Chi, the vibratory states will become subtle.

Enjoy our exploration of the FP Qigong standing meds., Karlos.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Thanks Sifu Terry for your response 

I already started with volume 3,

but I will have to come back to volume one and two and follow your advise .

The problem I find is that somedays I don’t have much time to practice ….

other days I have lots of time .

Thanks again  🙏🏽

• Like 2

As beginners, can we practice any of the meditations on Volume 1 by themselves? Ideally do all 5 in sequential order, but if limited on time, and there is only 20 minutes, is it okay to do just one or two? I imagine it's best not to mix and match to start with, so only in sequential order if starting from MGM. If not, say we were to practice Bending the Bows, just to do that one and not progress to MHPearl after, would that be appropriate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -_sometimes said:

is it okay to do just one or two?

Of course! Any one meditation is enough to impart healing and bliss.

I imagine it's best not to mix and match to start with, so only in sequential order if starting from MGM.

Incorrect. Start with any meditation you like--the system is completely safe. ridingthe ox began with long form before doing earlier meditations.

If not, say we were to practice Bending the Bows, just to do that one and not progress to MHPearl after, would that be appropriate?

Do any meditation you like. No order, no time. Just follow the breath sequences properly for opening and close properly, as well as other basic rules such as waiting 30 minutes before and after eating for practice.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Karlos said:

Thanks Sifu Terry for your response 

I already started with volume 3,

but I will have to come back to volume one and two and follow your advise .

The problem I find is that somedays I don’t have much time to practice ….

other days I have lots of time .

Thanks again  🙏🏽

Monk Holds Pearl is your best friend. If you are riding the train or bus to work, or have other idle time during the day, you can do it sitting down. 

Once you’ve learned the Long Form from Vol 4 you can also do that instead of all your other practices for the day if time is short. But definitely get vol 1, 2 and 3 memorised first. 

• Thanks 1

Hello to all FP Qigong practitioners:

Those of you who follow the news no doubt have seen or heard the news today that Britain's Queen Elizabeth's doctors are concerned about her health.  She is 96 years old and  has sat on the England throne or almost 70 years.  The way the news is being presented, "are concerned about the Queen's health" may be the English understated manner of saying that her health is failing and that she may soon pass away. 

Thus I want to take a moment to share with you all this one milestone event in Grandmaster Doo Wai's life that brought him to meet and treat Queen Elizabeth--that I might have shared on this thread long ago:  within the first 3 months of commencing training with GM Doo Wai in Los Angeles in 1991, after I had organized the learning circle/class comprised of friends and colleagues in martial arts who were all instructor level), GM Doo Wai showed me his personal scrapbook.  On 2 facing pages, pages were 6 Thank You notes to him from the Ladies in Waiting in Queen Elizabeth's court.  Then GM told me  that after he had made his harrowing escape from Guangdong to Hong Kong (during which he escaped being murdered by the Red Guards in his home village), he had set up shop in Hong Kong as an herbalist and energy healer, and that his powerful healing work was so effective and profound that he quickly became renowned.  So renowned that he came to the attention of the English cognoscenti in the Hong Kong government, who then reported GM Doo Wai's reputation to Buckingham Palace.  That resulted in English officials seeking out GM Doo Wai and inviting him to London and Buckingham Palace to minister to Queen Elizabeth's health.  (This engagement of GM's services, btw, also reflects the fact that there are [or were then] alchemists in the English court who could discern and recognize who's who and who can do what in the alternative medicine and traditional systems of hygienics of the indigenous cultures throughout the English colonies.) 

As it was just at the start of my training with GM Doo Wai when he showed me his scrapbook, I didn't ask him what type of treatments or methods he had rendered for the Queen.  But you can be absolutely certain that Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations ("Fei Feng San Gung" = "Flying Phoenix Spiritual Power") was the currency or cultivated Healing Life Force--that has its own Intelligence-- that he administered to Queen Elizabeth and presume others in her court.  I also don't recall in what year this engagement took place, but I believe it was in the late 1960's.  But I do attest that I saw the six Thank You notes addressed to him from the Queen's ladies in waiting.

"HEALING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING."

--Grandmaster Doo Wai, 1991

Enjoy--and redouble--your constant efforts to become a channel for the Flying Phoenix Healing Qi.

Sifu Terry Dunn

http://www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 8
  • Wow 2

Hi Sifu,

Immense gratitude to you for your care and diligence in spreading FPCK! 

I am 1/4 through the thread so far and it’s some of the best reading on the internet. Thanks to all who have contributed and big thanks to Sifu Terry, of course. 

I am currently 2 months into volumes 1 and 2  and am having huge gains. My body is restructuring and dead or frozen zones are coming back to life.

I notice that my nasal breathing is restricted due to tensions in my torso and specifically my jaw and neck. The subtle tightening of the neck and jaw to ‘control’ life and control the breath has been a life long survival response which is slowly undoing (big help from FPCK). 

My question relates to the aforementioned and breathing. I have been taught not to breath through the mouth but recently I have learned to do rhythmic open mouth breathing where I  relax my jaw and I notice that doing this allows my torso to move more free and the breath to actually become full. Nasal breathing results in a rigid torso, neck and face and the breath is not going to the lower belly as much. After the breathing sequences i just started to do a small inner smile with my mouth slightly open and I breath deeply thru my mouth allowing my neck, chest and and belly to open up. This is huge because I can raise my arms now from my LDT.  When I breath with my nose and the tongue on the roof of my mouth I tend to lock up and hold tension in my face head neck torso so I try to maintain the open breath passageways after doing a few open mouthed, relaxed jaw breathes. I then put my tongue up on the roof of my mouth from this relaxed place and try to maintain it with nose breathing however this is difficult to maintain. 

Many years of practicing qigong and putting the tongue up had locked in a rigid posture which I am learning to stop doing and pace it more comfortably on my pallet. I notice swallowing is difficult and not smooth or efficient when I play around with my jaw, neck and face tension.  There is a technique called ‘mewing’ where when one swallows the tongue pushes up and lengthens the back of the head. 

is this OK to do? Do you have any advice for unlocking my neck, throat, face, eyes and head? For jaw and tongue posture? I sense that my head and skull muscles may be important here. Are our teeth supposed to be lightly touching or slightly apart? 

I recognize the connection with the sacrum and lower Dan tien as a being connected to these areas and  important in getting to optimal posture. I trust continuing to practice daily will eventually clear this up but wanted to ask you as I haven’t seen this question yet (sorry if was asked)  Perhaps a specific exercise from Flying Phoenix would help?  I do MGAM daily and basic seated 1 and 2 and msw 1 and 2  I am going to order volumes 3 and 4 next. I feel and ready for 3. 

any advice would be appreciated. 

I welcome any member to also respond. 

thanks!

Austin

Edited by TaoNow
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Hi Sifu,

Immense gratitude to you for for your care and diligence in spreading FPCK! 

I am 1/4 through the thread so far and it’s some of the best reading on the internet. Thanks to all who have contributed and big thanks to Sifu Terry, of course. 

I am currently 2 months into volumes 1 and 2  and am having huge gains. My body is restructuring and dead or frozen zones are coming back to life.

I notice that my nasal breathing is restricted due to tensions in my torso and specifically my jaw and neck. The subtle tightening of the neck and to ‘control’ life and the breath has been a life long survival response which is slowly undoing (big help from FPCK). 

My question relates to this and breathing. I have been taught to never breath through the mouth but recently I have learned to do rhythmic open mouth breathing where I  can relax my jaw and I notice that doing this allows my torso to move more free and the breath to actually become full. Nasal breathing results in a rigid torso, neck and face and the breath is not going to the lower belly as much. After the breathing sequences i just started to do a small inner smile with my mouth slightly open and I breath deeply thru my mouth allowing my neck, chest and and belly to open up. This is huge because I can raise my arms now from my LDT.  When I breath with my nose and the tongue on the roof of my mouth I tend to lock up and hold tension in my face head and neck so I try to maintain the open breath passageways after doing a few open mouthed, relaxed jaw breathes. I then put my tongue up on the roof of my mouth from this relaxed place and try to maintain it with nose breathing. 

Many years of practicing qigong and putting the tongue up had locked in a rigid posture which I am learning to stop doing. I notice swallowing is almost painful or at least not smooth and efficient when I play around with my jaw, neck and face tension. 

is this OK to do? Do you have any advice for unlocking my neck, throat, face, eyes and head?I sense that my head and skull muscles may be important here. Are our teeth supposed to be lightly touching or slightly apart? 

I recognize the connection with the sacrum and lower Dan tien as a being connected to these areas and  important in getting to optimal posture. I trust continuing to practice daily will eventually clear this up but wanted to ask you as I haven’t seen this question yet (sorry if was asked)  Perhaps a specific exercise from Flying Phoenix would help?  I do MGAM daily and basic seated 1 and 2 and msw 1 and 2  I am going to order volumes 3 and 4 next. I feel and ready for 3. 

any advice would be appreciated. 

I welcome any member to also respond. 

thanks!

Austin

Austin, I think you may want to book a one-on-one for your specific issue with the rigid body since Sifu Terry has also taught the L.A. Lakers before and knows special stretches.

For a truncated version of the thread, you can see it on Alchemical Garden.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Flying Phoenix Chi Kung for Health DVDs are now getting their first ever price increase since 2011. They will also now only be available to purchase as DVDs (for the time being) rather than digital copies being distributed.

Chi Kung For Health, Volume One:    $39.95
Chi Kung For Health, Volume Twk:    $39.95
Chi Kung For Health, Volume Three:   $49.95
Chi Kung For Health, Volume Four:     $49.95
Chi Kung For Health, Volume Five:     $49.95
Chi Kung For Health, Volume Seven:   $49.95
– SPECIAL OFFER –CHI KUNG FOR HEALTH 5-PAK:       $190.00  (save $40

Other DVDs will also have the following price changes:

• TAI CHI RULER DVD:   $55.95

• SIX HARMONIES & EIGHT METHODS ("LIU HE BA FA"):   $49.95

• T'AI CHI SWORD & BROADSWORD:    $49.95

Shipping and handling will also be affected:

• SHIPPING WITHIN U.S. IS BY USPS MEDIA MAIL UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED BY       
   CUSTOMER

• INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING COSTS FROM THE U.S.A.: 

1 DVD = $22.00

2 DVDs =  $25.00

3 DVDs = $ 28.00

4 DVDs = $ 33.00

5 DVDs = $37

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

Happy Autumn Solstice minus 3 days, everyone!

I recently received this email containing questions about practicing Flying Phoenix Qigong, Tai Chi Chuan and Tao Tan Pai (Taoist Elixir Method) Qigong...and I thought it and my reply is wroth posting here as I gave answers to questions that have never been raised before on this thread  (to the best of my memory):

Austin                  

Sep 16, 2022, 5:37 PM (3 days ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Greetings Sifu Terry,
How are you doing? Wonderful, I hope!

I am reaching out because I have a few questions related to the retreat starting on September 30th. I want to attend and will have to do so virtually. I am not a first responder but am very interested in the healing arts and qigong. I have been doing FPCK for a couple months now and stopped doing all other qigong practices since it's been so powerful and tangible in the benefits. I have been wanting to learn TTP after reading the thread on Dao Bums. I trust it is ok but wanted to confirm with you that it is alright to join although I am not a first responder?

Second question is whether the sessions will be recorded and sent to attendees? This would be a welcome bonus to be able to reference these zoom meetings but definitely not a deal breaker. 

Thirdly, will the zoom attendees be able to ask questions and do you give posture correction cues if you notice them through the screen? Again, this is not a deal breaker as I know it can be difficult through a screen and that there will be people physically with you so the focus will be primarily be there but was curious about this. 

Is Tao Tan Pai a martial qigong? I don't recall from the thread. I have some training in Tai Chi (~1 year) when I started on the Taoist internal arts path 6 years ago in San Diego from master Henry Cheng in the Claremont area (maybe you heard of him). I no longer live in SD but If I would have known about the Taoist Sanctuary and your work when I was living there I probably would started there. Master Henry was great for introducing me to the Tai Chi and the arts and is a highly compassionate teacher that I enjoyed learning from so its all good.

I recently got your Tai Chi for Health DVD because I want to learn a martial style along with the FPCK as you mentioned they work synergistically together so my thought was to train and learn Tai Chi while also mastering FP but I sense doing the TTP and mastering Flying Phoenix before learning the Tai Chi will be most beneficial. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your time and for sharing these amazing arts! I plan to train with you in person in the future when the timing is right when I have more experience under my belt. 

I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks you dearly Sifu!

In Gratitude, 
Austin 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hi Austin,

I'm glad to hear that FPCK is providing you with tangible health and wellness benefits--with so much more to come. There's nothing more gratifying for me than to what from a beginning FP practitioner who's enjoying the profound and sublime healing effects of this most remarkable art.

Answers to your questions:
1.)  No, you do NOT have to be a 1st Responder to take  the workshop!  I gave the workshop and my Sunday class in Lenox that name because great public health value embodied in that regimen, as I explained in the email.

2.)  Second question is whether the sessions will be recorded and sent to attendees? This would be a welcome bonus to be able to reference these zoom meetings but definitely not a deal breaker. 
Yes, the Zoom recordings of the workshop will be viewable to workshop attendees on my Vimeo platform but not downloadable in digital file format.  The environment is just too treacherous to have my teachings floating around and copyable.  That is why, after careful consideration over 4-5 months, I finally decided not to sell the CKFH DVD programs in mp4 format.

3.  Thirdly, will the zoom attendees be able to ask questions and do you give posture correction cues if you notice them through the screen?   Yes, in past workshops, I can and did take questions from the Zoom audience.  You are just as welcome to ask questions and receive the same attention and quality of reply as my in-person students during the upcoming and all future workshops that are simulcasted on Zoom.

4.  Is Tao Tan Pai a martial qigong?   
The energy cultivated by the TTP Nei Kung is not a purely martial energy (in contrast to the ultra-rare Bat Din Gum / 8 Sections of Energy Combined art that I also preserve.  There are very few Qigong arts that are strictly, 100% martial in nature.  Those that exist--such as those that can authentically qualify as dim muk or dian xue  are all top secret esoteric components most jealously guarded within a martial art.
TTP energy is a general vital energy that empowers work of any kind:  martial, healing, yogic, spiritual.  But in general, the Tao Tan Pai Qi supports any type of physical work, athletic activity, or Chinese martial arts.  It develops structural sensitivity to all encompassing Nature...makine one aware of what Alfred J. Korzybsky called the "structural differential" by energizing and fine-tuning the human process. 

5.  I have some training in Tai Chi (~1 year) when I started on the Taoist internal arts path 6 years ago in San Diego from master Henry Cheng in the Claremont area (maybe you heard of him). I no longer live in SD but If I would have known about the Taoist Sanctuary and your work when I was living there I probably would started there. Master Henry was great for introducing me to the Tai Chi and the arts and is a highly compassionate teacher that I enjoyed learning from so its all good.
Any amount of Tai Chi background (or in any of the major Chinese internal arts) will make learning FP Qigong more easy. The more experience, the more easily the FP is learned.  As you may have read in the first year or two of FPCK thread on www.thedaobums.com, a very experienced Tai Chi practitioner and teacher, "ridingtheox" in Arizona, was able to skip volumes 1,2, and 3 and effectively learn the Vol.4 Long Form capstone meditation and enjoy excellent results.  
I have not heard of Master Henry Cheng in Claremont.  I'm glad you found him to be a great teacher.  I only knew the masters who were affiliated with the Taoist Sanctuary of L.A. and of San Diego--and their peers.

6.  I recently got your Tai Chi for Health DVD because I want to learn a martial style along with the FPCK as you mentioned they work synergistically together so my thought was to train and learn Tai Chi while also mastering FP but I sense doing the TTP and mastering Flying Phoenix before learning the Tai Chi will be most beneficial. Any thoughts on this?

a.  Tai Chi Chuan and FP Qigong are very different arts but are quite compatible. Once you have correctly learned the standing FP moving meditations--"Bending the Bows," " Wind Through Treetops," "Wind Above the Clouds," "Moonbeam Splashes on Water" (Vol.3) and the capstone exercise, "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditations" (Vol.4)--and put in the time to master them (which is the meaning of kung fu), your Tai Chi form--i.e., internal body mechanics--will greatly improved.  As I mentioned in past post, after I first learned "Bending the Bows" in 1991, my Tai Chi Chuan completely changed in terms of form and martial function...plus a deeper command of my intrinsic energy.  (When that happened, I had been studying Tai Chi Chuan for 11 years with Master Abraham Liu.)
b.   Tao Tan Pai is a kung fu system and its 6 levels of nei kung are completely different from both Tai Chi Chuan and FP Qigong in terms of yogic methodology and mechanism.  While it is best to learn the 2 systems separately, the regimen I have created exploits the catalyzing effect that TTP-31 has on FP Qigong--and produces profound and remarkable health benefits. 
My general rules of thumb for practicing Tai Chi, TTP and FPCK are as follows:
A.  Practice Tai Chi Chuan and the TTP Qigong and Kung Fu forms (or any other kung fu system you do) on different days.
B.  FP Qigong and be practiced on the same day that one practices Tai Chi Chuan. It does not really matter if one practices Tai Chi first and then Qigong or vice versa.  Although doing Tai Chi first would thoroughly warm one up to be able to do FP Qigong more comfortably and relaxedly.
C.   Practicing Tai Chi soon after practicing FP Qigong might possibly shorten the duration of "lingering" or residual or recurring healing effects of the FP Qigong. Even though Tai Chi has body mechanics similar in many ways to FP Qigong, it is first and foremost a martial art and, as I have stated regularly on the FPCK thread over the years, the FP Healing Qi cultivated by FP Qigong does not--and cannot be used to--empower any martial art nor can it be directed (to flow) with any martial intent.

I hope this helps.  These are good questions to ask ahead of the Sept. 30 workshop.
See you then on Zoom.

Enjoy your practice,

Sifu Terry Dunn

AIorK4wzQn9pTOJOUyTQ3LO-BIROPj3LuVrJCsmcQ-0XfsaRbDkIVyJFa8cx9byANPCPoqOalHU9kQ8
Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 6

On 9/20/2022 at 3:02 AM, EFreethought said:

I have a question for Sifu Dunn:

Where/when do you teach Tao Tan Pai? I do not see any reference to it on your site.

TTP is taught directly as it is not on the DVDs. 

You may attend the group streaming classes or do one-on-ones with him.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 7:28 PM, Earl Grey said:

TTP is taught directly as it is not on the DVDs. 

You may attend the group streaming classes or do one-on-ones with him.

Thanks for the response.

I have a few more questions:

Why is there no volume 6 for Flying Phoenix?

Also: I saw on the newsletter (https://terencedunn.substack.com) that Sifu Dunn offers "QIGONG FOR HEALTH FOR 1st RESPONDERS: FLYING PHOENIX QIGONG ON SUNDAYS". Is this only for first responders, or can anyone join? And if anyone can join, are there any recommended prerequisites, like going through the first Flying Phoenix DVD?

5 hours ago, EFreethought said:

Thanks for the response.

Also: I saw on the newsletter (https://terencedunn.substack.com) that Sifu Dunn offers "QIGONG FOR HEALTH FOR 1st RESPONDERS: FLYING PHOENIX QIGONG ON SUNDAYS". Is this only for first responders, or can anyone join? And if anyone can join, are there any recommended prerequisites, like going through the first Flying Phoenix DVD?

This same question regarding first responders was answered three posts above by Sifu Terry. Please take the time to read it. As far as prerequisites; Im sure it’s helpful to have some experience of Flying Phoenix Chi Kung prior to attending but not required else there would be a disclaimer.  

Edited by TaoNow
  • Like 3

On 9/24/2022 at 4:01 AM, EFreethought said:

Thanks for the response.

Hi EfreeThought,

Answers to your question:

1.  As Earl Grey pointed out, one does not need to be a first responder to take the weekly Sunday class.  I named the class "CKFH for First Responders" because each class combines one hour Taoist Elixir Method Qigong with a second hour of FP Qigong, which creates extraordinary catalysis of the FP Qigong cultivation, enhancing and prolonging its healing effects.  The Zoom links are published on the monthly Newsletter:  terencedunn.substack.com  (October issue is late in coming and will be out on Monday announcing a 3-day (zoomable)  workshop in November)

2.  There is no Volume 6 of the CKFH series because when it was on VHS in the late 90's,  Volume 6 contained 5 very powerful standing Bok Fui Pai Kung Fu moving meditations that were/are not FP Qigong meditations. They cultivate both general vitality and power for kung fu.  I was inspired to demonstrate them during a trip to Stonehenge in the U.K. when I had my good friend and renowned director Michael Wadleigh film me do various Bat Dim Gum forms and Bok fu Pai meditations.  A few weeks after I released the Vol. 6 program consisting of 5 Bok Fu Pai meditations, I realized that the material was too advanced and powerful to make available without any sort of prerequisite basic Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu training.  So I pulled the video (VHS) off the market.  To keep the program on the market would have been dangerous for the consumer and negligent/unethical on my part.  But there was no FP Qigong material on Volume 6.  In order to avoid similar confusion, wondering, and the same question being asked by others in the future, I should renumber and retitle the current Volume 7 DVD program (5 Advanced Monk Serves Wine Meditations) as Volume 6.

I hope that this clarifies.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

14-HOUR IMMERSIVE FLYING PHOENIX QIGONG 

WORKSHOP, NOVEMBER 16-18,  >> ZOOMABLE << 

To Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and followers of this thread:

On November 16, 17, and 18, I will be conducting a 14-hour intensive workshop in Ehrmei Mountain Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong that's very suitable for beginners but will be focussed on the intermediate practices of our art.   This will be my first FPCK workshop of this year and fifth workshop at the beautiful "Tao Retreat" (Han Chinese Culture Assoc.) at 33 Tao Road in Catskill, NY.  The seven 2-hour sessions of this workshop are Zoom-able.  [The information below is also available on my free monthly Newsletter:  terencedunn.substack.com]

There's qigong and there's qigong.  Then there's Flying Phoenix Qigong that differs from all other Yogic arts created in China or India or anywhere else in the world in the way that it so remarkably fulfills the 5 essential functional criteria of any authentic Qigong system--as defined by the late great Master R.K. Shih (italic elaborations are by me):

(1) prevents disease by elevating immune levels\

(2) cures disease and disease symptoms by inducing allostasis without adding stress to the system;

(3) strengthens the body--by, in the words of GM Doo Wai, "bringing all the organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind";

(4) improves intelligence and thereby increases longevity (for starters, by developing the mental function of visualization like no other Qigong art); and

(5) develops latent powers (e.g., clairvoyance, clairaudience, remote viewing, distance healing, psychokinesis, kung fu, perception of all forms of energy that are invisible to the consensus reality, etc.) --i.e.  If a so-called "qigong" does not develop latent powers, then it is NOT qigong.  Period.)

Astonishing and revelatory for most beginners is the common Flying Phoenix Qi phenomenon where the tangibly energizing and rejuvenating effects experienced during a practice session set on again several hours later in an unexpected total-body Qi-envelopment of the most pleasant and sublimely healing nature, thus further corroborating this professional medical assessment:

"Flying Phoenix Qigong practice significantly elevates parasympathetic tone.  90 minutes of practice of this Qigong is restorative in real time and over time afterwards."                                                                                                                                                  - Yetsa A. Tuakli-Wosornu, M.D., M.P.H., IOC Dip. Sp. Med.  Assistant Clinical Professor, Yale School of Public Health Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology.  June, 2020

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE

The 3-day immersive workshop, November 16 through 18, consists of 7 two-hour sessions with 2 sessions on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, and 2 on Friday at these times (EST):

Wednesday: 3pm - 5pm; 7:30pm - 9:30pm EST
Thursday: 10am - noon; 2:30pm - 4:30pm; 7:30pm - 9:30pm EST
Friday: 10am - noon; 2:00pm - 4:00pm EST

WORKSHOP AGENDA

The goal of this workshop is to help beginning and intermediate FP practitioners reach proficiency in the Long Form Standing Meditation and to introduce them to some of the Advanced Flying Phoenix Meditations—a set of 9 standing moving meditations…as well as to some of 16 advanced seated “Monk Serves Wine” meditations that I have not yet published.

A. Thus each session will review of the  Flying Phoenix Qigong meditations presented in the Chi Kung For Health DVD series, with special focus on perfecting the "Moonbeam Splashes On Water" in Volume 3 and the Capstone Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4), mastering the five powerful 90-second meditations on Volume 5, and all memorizing the 5 advanced seated meditations on Volume 7 of the DVD series. 

All participants are encouraged to practice to the Volumes 3, 4, 5, and 7 of the DVD series prior to the workshop.

B. In addition to reviewing the basic level of the FP Qigong system, I will also teach:
1. Excerpts from Advanced Flying Phoenix Qigong Meditations 

2. Excerpts from Advanced Long Form Seated (Monk Serves Wine) Meditation — consisting of 22 postures. 

3.  Selections from the 10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven Meditations System an esoteric system of martial and healing Qigong consisting of 54 meditations organized into 3 sets of 18.

4. Advanced “Monk Serves Wine” seated Meditations not taught in the DVD series, such as this  self-applied acupressure facial massage, repeated 7 times:

https://www.facebook.com/1584272222/videos/a.10217921381417870/10217924324531446

C.  A 15-minute warm-up module at the start of every class will include:  The Silkweaver’s Exercise (valuable for all-levels) and excerpts from Qing Dynasty Imperial Guard Exercises and Taoist Elixir Method Basic 31 Meditations--the latter of which has catalyzing and accelerating effects on Flying Phoenix Qigong cultivation.

TUITION 

$350 early registration
$385 day of workshop
$55 for each of the seven 2-hour sessions 

ZOOM PARTICIPATION:

$40 per 2-hour session or $250 for all 7 sessions [Zoom log-on links will be emailed to registrants the day before the workshop begins]

•• Please send payment via Paypal (to [email protected]) or via Zelle (to [email protected] ••

ROOMS & MEAL PLAN: 

See postscript below or my Newsletter:   terencedunn.substack.com

If you have any questions about the workshop, please post here or write to me at:  [email protected]

** Also see recent reviews of my last workshop (Sept. 30) posted on this thread by David Lloyd Hastings on October 8 and by Tao Now on October 16. **

I hope to see many of you at this Pre-Thanksgiving trim-down Flying Phoenix Workshop, which will, as a nice benefit on the side, also teach you how to use FP Qigong to literally vibrate off the lbs. of excess adipose tissue that you might layer on over Thanksgiving!

mitakuye oyasin,

Sifu Terry Dunn 

"The vitalities of heaven and earth, sun and moon,

Are fundamentally inherent in our bodies.  

If reality and consciousness do not stray from each other, Creation is always in the palm of your hand."  — Chang Po-Tuan, 11th Century 

P.S.:    ROOMS AT TAO RETREAT

A. There are 3 rentable rooms at the main event hall at Tao Retreat: One room with bathroom: $350 / day* Two rooms with a shared bathroom: $248 / day*

B. Ten floor beds in the main tea house / event hall: $60 / night*

C. 4 new comfortable trailer rooms with sofa-beds for up to 4 people: $250/night*; $50 for additional person.*

*Room or floor bed rent includes each day’s meals.

MEALS:

2 excellent meals each day (authentic Xichuan cuisine for lunch and dinner) plus one smoothie or light soup before sleep. • Meals are included with room or floor bed rentals • Meal plan for non-residents: $50 per day.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

TO MAKE ROOM AND/OR MEAL PLAN RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CONTACT Yurong 豫容 Julia Li 李 at: [email protected] or [email protected] Tel: (917) 828-0731

PLEASE NOTE: The town of Catskill is convenient 14 minutes away by car (8.5 miles) has plenty of comfortable bed & breakfast inns, motels and resorts in and around the nearby town of Catskill such as Wolff's Maple Breeze Resort: https://www.greatnortherncatskills.com/.../wolffs-maple... https://wolffs-maple-breeze-resort.new-york-state.net/en/

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 4

Well, well, well ... attending a recent 3-day Taoist Elixir Method + Flying Phoenix Qigong for Health Workshop with Sifu Terry Dunn was long overdue. I'm usually not the type to talk at length about Qigong or Chinese philosophy, so I apologize for the long post; it's kind of a long story.

I have a history with the flying phoenix Qigong that is important to me. I started learning them in 2001 after Jung Shee Doo Wai suggested them. In 1997, I had a major brain injury during a medical procedure that left me paralyzed on my left side, unable to speak and read. I was also in a coma for three days. I was in the process of recovering when Jung Shee Doo Wai and I crossed paths. He gave me many herbal recipes and suggestions, focusing heavily on combining them with food to make me strong again. While I was never officially a student, he gave me Qigong meditations to practice, which I found very helpful. I had about five years' worth of traditional Chinese martial art and Qigong training before my injury, so what I was discovering from Jung Shee regarding the "big picture" of herbs, Qigong, and Taoist philosophy came at the perfect time for me. It was different, but it wasn't a new situation for me.

The smell of a lot of Chinese herbs brings back old memories for me regarding those times. As I healed, I asked Jung Shee about getting deeper into his family's Qigong practices. I could feel the difference, and please recall that I was recovering from a brain injury. So when I would practice Doo family Qigong, I was amazed that it would take away the pain and let me sleep. When your head feels full of mud, and it suddenly becomes clear, it's really noticeable. Jung Shee suggested Sifu Terry's Flying Phoenix instructional videotapes when I asked for more detailed practices. Yes, you heard that right; I said videotapes. So I bought them on VHS tapes and practiced them daily. 

A nice side note: this was "meant to be" because I bought them at a small alternative bookstore in Ontario, Canada, that had them in stock and didn't need to order them. They were right there. I even remember what part of the shop. There was very little reason for them to be available to buy other than to say it was fate. I genuinely believe that to be true. Material like this during that time was scarce in such a small place, let alone for it to be that specific.

Jung Shee encouraged the Flying Phoenix meditations because he said they were explicitly for healing energy. He was clear in his explanation that the power/energy they cultivated did not have any martial applications. I needed all the help I could get.

I started by practicing the essential standing meditations, and monk serves wine. Monk serves wine was incredible for me. I've practiced that series for so many years, and it's like an old song that you play to bring fond memories.

With Doo Wai's encouragement, I attended a traditional Chinese medical school and eventually received my Doctor title in traditional Chinese medicine and Acupuncture. (I have to interject that Jung Shee often stated that what I was learning in traditional Chinese medical (TCM) school was different from what he called "Chinese folk medicine." He said both were good, but they were different. I understand what he meant now.) I've had the chance to teach Chinese medicine integrated with western biochemistry in Hong Kong and South China. I even ended up a peer-reviewer at an Oxford University medical journal for four years. In addition, I teach various continuing education credits for health professionals world wide, focusing on explaining Qigong for clinical applications. Flying phoenix, Sifu Terry, and Jung Shee Doo Wai, really helped me have a remarkable life. They were also a part in me recovering fully from something that should have killed me.

This long story brings me to his recent workshop. I have always wanted to train with Sifu Terry Dunn directly, but the timing never worked out. We've been in touch but are usually on different schedules, coasts, and/or countries. Then Covid happened, and the "powers that be" shut the borders down, and it simply wasn't an option. Soon, however, things changed.

I signed into Facebook one day, and Sifu sent me an invitation to attend via Zoom. I've never done anything like this via Zoom, but I decided to try it. For three days, I attended and practiced alongside the others. It was absolutely fantastic. On Saturday, I got so Shen'd out (spirited) that some of the students noticed it and cheered, "Look at David! He's so shen'd up! Shiny skin and glowing." I replied with a peaceful smile, "Dave's not here man ..."

The combination of the Taoist Elixer Method and Flying Phoenix work really well together. When combined, I could feel how they worked in synergy. This was a new and very welcome feeling.

For me, this experience was many, many years in the making. Yet, I'm grateful to have attended and learned even more about a practice that has helped guide my life over the last twenty years.

I look forward to seeing everyone soon in person in Catskill.

• Like 9

This post is to leave a review for Master Dunn's Flying Phoenix Chi Kung / Tao Tan Pai Workshop two weekends ago. I attended via zoom for the fifteen or more hours of workshop. I'll start off by saying that Sifu Terry over delivered. We learned a number of new practices beyond the TTP, including some not on DVD Flying Phoenix Meditations. We saw archival footage Doo Wai and received articles from some of Sifu's Kung Fu brothers. There was enormous value in the tips, tricks and insight only a skilled and practiced teacher can provide; the stories and conversations between those in attendance were highly entertaining as well. 

Since combining the short form power yoga from Taoist Elixir Method and Flying Phoenix Qigong I have made massive leaps in my practice. My body mechanics are improving and and perfecting and for Flying Phoenix it is easier to get into meditative, effortless states. My eyesight and focus is improving. I am beginning to discover for myself what it means when masters and teachers like Sifu Terry talk about forgetting about your body. The way I conceptualize this is that our body is a tool for what we really are, which is consciousness. We often fall trap to illusion due to identifying with the body. We create aches and pains and movement patterns that keep us in those limited state. These practices are ancient technologies to unlock the true essence of our being by melting away inner tension. I believe that when falsity and illusion (tension) is dropped we automatically traverse the path of our highest destiny. 

A practice that can take you beyond the physical is where the magic is at. In searching for authentic systems and experimenting on all kinds of ways to heal its clear that  the arts that Sifu Terry preserves and teaches are some of the best out there. 

To give this review some real world context, my work is highly complex, demanding and busy. I credit being able to show up energized and succeed from being able to rejuvenate and empower myself through qigong. I am currently working on the long form in volume four and plan to have it memorized by the end of the year. From the TTP + FPCK I can I feel my hands becoming healing tools and my core gently filling up with life force. These practices are a part of my energetic hygiene rituals because not doing them tends to make me feel vibrationally dirty or scattered when I don't. 

To round this out and wrap up. I really enjoyed and highly recommend training with Master Terry. Its next level compared to the DVDs which in themselves are very high level. I plan on learning more and continuing to deepen these arts. We are lucky to have a teacher of this caliber. 

The idea that keeps coming up is from a quote by Doo Wai that Sifu Terry often brings up; something along the lines of, ‘healing is the most i important thing’ I didn’t realize how much I needed healing until I engaged in this art. I feel new life sprouting within. 

Edited by TaoNow
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 3:57 AM, -_sometimes said:

As beginners, can we practice any of the meditations on Volume 1 by themselves? Ideally do all 5 in sequential order, but if limited on time, and there is only 20 minutes, is it okay to do just one or two? I imagine it's best not to mix and match to start with, so only in sequential order if starting from MGM. If not, say we were to practice Bending the Bows, just to do that one and not progress to MHPearl after, would that be appropriate?

Hi -_sometimes,

If you don't have time to practice the 5 standing FP Meditations in sequence, then just do what time affords.  While I have presented the exercises in the order in which GM Doo Wai taught all of us in the group I formed in L.A in the early 1990's, the key is to practice each exercise thoroughly  (10-15 minutes each;  longer to do 18 rounds of Bending the Bows).  Once you've practiced Vol.1 meditations in order for a month or two, and feel that you've become "saturated" with the effects of each exercise, then you change the order in which you practice them.  As long as you do each one correctly, no harm will come if you change the order. 

But, as an annual reminder:  DO NOT EVER switch the breath-control sequences from meditation to another!!!!!

Enjoy your practice.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 5

To Flying Phoenix Qigong practitioners and followers of this thread:

On November 16, 17, and 18, I will be conducting a 14-hour immersive workshop in Ehrmei Mountain Flying Phoenix Celestial Healing Qigong that's very suitable for beginners but will be focussed on the intermediate practices of our art.   This will be my first FPCK workshop of this year and fifth workshop at the beautiful "Tao Retreat" (Han Chinese Culture Assoc.) at 33 Tao Road in Catskill, NY.  The seven 2-hour sessions of this workshop are Zoom-able.

There's qigong and there's qigong.  Then there's Flying Phoenix Qigong that differs from all other Yogic arts created in China or India or anywhere else in the world in the way that it so remarkably fulfills the 5 essential functional criteria of any authentic Qigong system--as defined by the late great Master R.K. Shih (elaborations by me are in italics):

(1) prevents disease by elevating immune levels\

(2) cures disease and disease symptoms by inducing allostasis without adding stress to the system;

(3) strengthens the body--by, in the words of GM Doo Wai, "bringing all the organ functions under the regulation of the subconscious mind";

(4) improves intelligence and thereby increases longevity (for starters, by developing the mental function of visualization like no other Qigong art); and

(5) develops latent powers (e.g., clairvoyance, clairaudience, remote viewing, remote healing, psychokinesis, kung fu, seeing all forms of energy that go unseen by the consensus reality, etc.) --i.e.  If a so-called "qigong" does not develop latent powers, then it is NOT qigong!!!)

Astonishing and revelatory for most beginners is the common Flying Phoenix Qi phenomenon where the tangibly energizing and rejuvenating effects experienced during a practice session set on again several hours later in an unexpected total-body Qi-envelopment of the most pleasant and sublimely healing nature, thus further corroborating this professional medical assessment:

"Flying Phoenix Qigong practice significantly elevates parasympathetic tone.  90 minutes of practice of this Qigong is restorative in real time and over time afterwards."                                                                                                                                                  - Yetsa A. Tuakli-Wosornu, M.D., M.P.H., IOC Dip. Sp. Med.  Assistant Clinical Professor, Yale School of Public Health Department of Chronic Disease Epidemiology.  June, 2020

WORKSHOP SCHEDULE

The 3-day immersive workshop, November 16 through 18, consists of 7 two-hour sessions with 2 sessions on Wednesday, 3 on Thursday, and 2 on Friday at these times (EST):

Wednesday: 3pm - 5pm; 7:30pm - 9:30pm EST
Thursday: 10am - noon; 2:30pm - 4:30pm; 7:30pm - 9:30pm EST
Friday: 10am - noon; 2:00pm - 4:00pm EST

WORKSHOP AGENDA

The goal of this workshop is to help beginning and intermediate FP practitioners reach proficiency in the Long Form Standing Meditation and to introduce them to some of the Advanced Flying Phoenix Meditations—a set of 9 standing moving meditations…as well as to some of 16 advanced seated “Monk Serves Wine” meditations that I have not yet published.

A. Thus each session will review of the  Flying Phoenix Qigong meditations presented in the Chi Kung For Health DVD series, with special focus on perfecting the "Moonbeam Splashes On Water" in Volume 3 and the Capstone Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4), mastering the five powerful 90-second meditations on Volume 5, and all memorizing the 5 advanced seated meditations on Volume 7 of the DVD series. 

All participants are encouraged to practice to the Volumes 3, 4, 5, and 7 of the DVD series prior to the workshop.

B. In addition to reviewing the basic level of the FP Qigong system, I will also teach:
1. Excerpts from Advanced Flying Phoenix Qigong Meditations 

2. Excerpts from Advanced Long Form Seated (Monk Serves Wine) Meditation — consisting of 22 postures. 

3.  Selections from the 10,000 Buddhas Ascend To Heaven Meditations System an esoteric system of martial and healing Qigong consisting of 54 meditations organized into 3 sets of 18.

4. Advanced “Monk Serves Wine” seated Meditations not taught in the DVD series, such as this  self-applied acupressure facial massage, repeated 7 times:

https://www.facebook.com/1584272222/videos/a.10217921381417870/10217924324531446

C.  A 15-minute warm-up module at the start of every class will include:  The Silkweaver’s Exercise (valuable for all-levels) and excerpts from Qing Dynasty Imperial Guard Exercises and Taoist Elixir Method Basic 31 Meditations--the latter of which has catalyzing and accelerating effects on Flying Phoenix Qigong cultivation.

TUITION 

$350 early registration
$385 day of workshop
$55 for each of the seven 2-hour sessions 

ZOOM PARTICIPATION:

$40 per 2-hour session or $250 / all 7 sessions [Zoom log-on links will be emailed to registrants the day before the workshop begins]

•• Please send payment via Paypal (to [email protected]) or via Zelle (to [email protected] ••

ROOMS & MEAL PLAN: 

See postscript below or my Newsletter:   terencedunn.substack.com

If you have any questions about the workshop, please post here or write to me at:  [email protected]

** Also see recent reviews of my last workshop (Sept. 30) posted on this thread by David Lloyd Hastings on October 8 and by Tao Now on October 16. **

I hope to see many of you at this Pre-Thanksgiving trim-down Flying Phoenix Workshop, which will, as a nice benefit on the side, also teach you how to use FP Qigong to literally vibrate off the lbs. of excess adipose tissue that you might layer on over Thanksgiving!

mitakuye oyasin,

Sifu Terry Dunn

P.S.:    ROOMS AT TAO RETREAT

A. There are 3 rentable rooms at the main event hall at Tao Retreat: One room with bathroom: $350 / day* Two rooms with a shared bathroom: $248 / day*

B. Ten floor beds in the main tea house / event hall: $60 / night*

C. 4 new comfortable trailer rooms with sofa-beds for up to 4 people: $250/night*; $50 for additional person.*

*Room or floor bed rent includes each day’s meals.

MEALS:

2 excellent meals each day (authentic Xichuan cuisine for lunch and dinner) plus one smoothie or light soup before sleep. • Meals are included with room or floor bed rentals • Meal plan for non-residents: $50 per day.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

TO MAKE ROOM AND/OR MEAL PLAN RESERVATIONS, PLEASE CONTACT Yurong 豫容 Julia Li 李 at: [email protected] or [email protected] Tel: (917) 828-0731

PLEASE NOTE: The town of Catskill is convenient 14 minutes away by car (8.5 miles) has plenty of comfortable bed & breakfast inns, motels and resorts in and around the nearby town of Catskill such as Wolff's Maple Breeze Resort: https://www.greatnortherncatskills.com/.../wolffs-maple... https://wolffs-maple-breeze-resort.new-york-state.net/en/

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

I had an unusually stressful week and kept my body strong, mind sharp-but-at-ease, and soul happy with this practice sequence this morning:

a.  FPHHCM - Long Form Meditation 2x back to back

b.  Wind Above the Clouds 1x

c.  Wind Through Treetops 1x

d.  Monk Holding Peach for  8 minutes.

e.  A third round of FPHHCM - Long Form Meditation

** I strongly recommend making the time to practice the Long Form Med. 2 or 3 times in a row.  You will find --as I'm sure all who've done this will agree--with each successive round of the Form, you will be doing it much more smoothly, more relaxedly, more comfortably, and more slowly--as you steadily attain towards moving at the speed of a shifting sand dune.   Doing consecutive rounds of the Long From will enable you to experience the cumulative nature of the energizing and rejuvenating effects of each round  of FP Long Form practice. 

Get down to it!

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Curious if anyone finds that this practice influences your career or day job or your work with people in anyway? I'm going into the counseling field (just graduated school) and I'm wondering if becoming more sensitive to energy might impact my work in anyway. Thanks 

• Like 2

Lo222, I worked as a clinical psychologist for 30 years and while doing Flying Phoenix or any of the other 100 different qigong methods that I tried I was not aware of any effects from qigong while working with people. FP practitioners who are more sensitive than I, might notice otherwise. How a specific qigong method effects someone is always an individual sort of experience, for the most part. But I can say that I did tangibly notice that FP produces a different sensation of Qi than any other qigong method. That seems to be the consensus of opinion. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1