Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

I deleted the question now because the issues is all good now . I was just over thinking it at the time 

Edited by Beep
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2023 at 3:35 AM, EFreethought said:

Figure out how much pressure you need to exhale completely (but without straining yourself) for 10 seconds. Then count off the number of seconds for each exhale in the meditations exhaling with that same pressure. So 20% would be 2 seconds, 30% would be 3 seconds, etc.

Hi EFreethought,

Welcome to the world of Flying Phoenix practice and our FPCK thread.

Yes,  please follow my instructions on (mentally)  calibrating your breath cycle into 10 parts that Searcher7977 was kind enough to find and quote for you.  Don't limit yourself to a 10 second inhalation or exhalation.  There are many people who are born with large lung capacities and can easily take longer breathes than average.  Then there are people who either due to genetics or high stress, take much shorter breathes than the average.. There are athletes who do aerobic sports and non-athletes who do aerobic sports, aerobic exercise, or Yoga who have developed large lung capacity (tidal volume), take deeper longer breathes,  and have developed resting breathes per minute that's lower than the average rate of breathes per minute. (which is 12 to 16 breathes per minute, btw).

Many people can comfortably take breathes longer than 10 seconds for each inhalation and 10 sec. for each exhalation while doing certain activities.  

For a very good example:   in the other Taoist monastic Qigong system that I preserve and teach, Tao Tan Pai ("Taoist Elixir Method"), the very first exercise in the first level practice called the "Basic Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations" ("TTP-31") is called "Circling Palms", which involves doing inward circling of both arms at shoulder level on a horizontal plane  (palms facing the floor) while standing dead-center (double-weighted) in the square horse stance ("ma-bu")...as seen here in at the  beginning of this overview video of the TTP-31 showing 8 of the meditations:   

One does 8 cycles of the Circling Palms (right and and then left arm sweeps) in one set.  The standard orthodox practice is doing 4 sets (of 8 cycles).  The regular daily practice of 4 sets of 8 of just this first exercise will gradually and steadily expand one's lung capacity and reduce the number of breathes per minute that one needs to take.  And the training goal of Circling Palms--according to how I was trained in the mid-70's at the Taoist Sanctuary in Los Angeles under Taoist priest Share K. Lew and his senior student, the ven. John Davidson,  is to systematically increase one's breath cycle up to 20 seconds on each exhalation and 20 seconds on each inhalation.  It's doable and only a matter of conditioning with the right method.

So all that is to say  develop keen awareness of your breathing cycle just by being mindful of your breathing while at rest over long periods.  You and others can try this method:

1.  Take about 10 deep breathes (or more) --where each breath inhalation and exhalation is at least 5 seconds long (i.e., so that each breath is 10 seconds long). 

2.   Then take in as full and long a breath as you can comfortably inhale.  (Swimmers can Imagine your about to swim a good distance underwater...and then take a very deep inhalation.

3.  Then exhale that deep breath you're holding and calibrate it into equal 10 parts.

(I found that silently saying "one potato, two potato, three potato, etc." allows one to effect the 10 part calibration.  If you're a super athlete or Aquaman, you can count 10 parts using "one potato-with-butter", etc.)

Regards,

Sifu Terry

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

terencedunn.substack.com

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 3

To all FP Qigong experienced practitioners:

On July 28 to 30, I will be teaching my bi-annual 3-day, 14-hour immersive workshop teaching Taoist Elixir Method ("Tao Tan Pai") Basic 31 Meditations ("TTP-31") at the Tao Retreat center in Catskill, NY (Han Chinese Culture Estate).  This workshop is Zoomable.

Taoist Elixir Method ("Tao Tan Pai") is the other Taoist monastic system of Kung Fu, Qigong, and healing arts that I preserve besides Flying Phoenix Qigong and the encompassing Ehrmei Mtn. Bok Fu Pai tradition.  GM Doo Wai was a peer, fellow kung fu grandmaster and friend of Taoist priest Share K. Lew, the 23rd generation priest of the Tao Tan Pai tradition.  Tao Tan Pai is a more ancient tradition that Bok Fu Pai Kung Fu by more than 700 years.  Full details about Tao Tan Pai are on this issue of the Newsletter:

https://terencedunn.substack.com/p/tao-tan-pai-31-meditations-workshop?sd=pf

If your FP Qigong is well established--i.e., you have been practicing it for more than one year and have all the material in Vols.1 to 3 memorized--i.e., up through "Moonbeam Splashes On Water"--then I strongly recommend learning and practicing the TTP-31 because it happens to work as a foundational catalyst that greatly enhances and prolongs the healing effects of FP Qigong--even though it is a totally different style of Qigong with drastically different/worlds apart yogic methodology than that of FP Qigong.  I first realized the great synergy of doing FP Qigong preceded by TTP practice as soon as I learned FP Qigong fro GM Doo Wai in 1993.  Then starting in 2013, I further experienced this catalyzing effect with while I was teaching both arts as NCCAOM-accredited courses at Emperors College of TCM in Santa Monica, CA.   Then I proved this synergy beyond any doubt starting in 2017 when began teaching both arts-- one hour of TTP-31 practice followed by one hour or more of FP Qigong practice.   Since Jan. 2020, in my weekly Sunday course called "Qigong For Health For First Responders," I teach one hour of TTP-31 practice followed by one hour of FP Practice--set at the appropriate levels based on the experience of the students in the class or taking it remotely via Zoom.

These are reviews of by two of my long-term east coast students since 2017 who have taken the full FP Qigong workshop several times and also my Tao Tan Pai Basic 31 Workshops at Eastover Estate in lenox, MA when I was master-in-residence there from 2017 to 2022, attesting to the powerful enhancing effects that TTP-31 has on FP Qigong practice:

2 Reviews of “Qigong For Health For First Responders” class

by Master Terence Dunn on March 29, 2020

(one hour of TTP Basic 31 Meditations + one hour of Flying Phoenix Qigong)

I felt a surge of tangible sensations coursing through my entire body, streams of subtle vibrations and tingling with a particular focus in the chest and head areas. Unlike the typical calming, relaxing, and sometimes sedative effects that I usually experience from Flying Phoenix Qigong practice, this pattern of energy was more invigorating, enlivening, and longer-lasting. I was alert and full of energy with an underlying sense of ease and contentment. Its effects were still mildly present three hours after the practice session ended, and most surprisingly, after a heavy meal, something I haven't quite experienced before even having attended a dozen intensive workshops. Although we only practiced basic exercises from each system, my experience mimicked ones I’ve had practicing advanced meditations of Tao Tan Pai Qigong and Flying Phoenix Qigong separately in longer sessions. I can only attribute these effects to the thoughtful, specific, and unique combination of TTP and FP that was offered by Master Terry Dunn. 

--Spencer Lawrence, Jersey City, NJ

I’ve studied with Sifu Terry Dunn for 5 1/2 years at Eastover and any place else I could get the chance. The major focus of that study had been Flying Phoenix Qigong and related Bak Fu Pai arts.  I’ve taken a couple of workshops in Tao Tan Pai but never gave it any thought, devotion or practice.  Recently I’ve partaken in Sifu Dunn’s Sunday class “Tao Tan Pai + Flying Phoenix Qigong for Peak Immunity...”  It consists of one hour of Tao Tan Pai followed another hour of Flying Phoenix.  For the last 12 weeks I’ve faithfully practiced TTP daily with profound results.  My lung capacity has greatly increased; my inhalation and exhalation are longer and deeper now (something useful In this time of pandemic).  I’ve noticed, too, that my heart rate has slowed down by 5 beats per minute.  

As to the synergistic relationship of these two seemingly unrelated disciplines, I’ll mention a few.  Tao Tan Pai is the perfect warmup for Flying Phoenix Qigong.  It loosens both the body and mind.  It deepens the relaxation response putting one in an altered state much sooner.  This state of relaxation is so deep that by the end of Sunday’s class  I can barely keep my eyes open.  This is especially true of the Monk Serves Wine series of exercises. My personal practice will forevermore start with TTP and end with Flying Phoenix.

--Tony Arcuri, Queens, NY

See you on July 28 on Zoom or in Catskill.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 2

Hi all ,

sorry just a question , I know generally in qigong we shouldn’t eat or drink minimum of 30 mins before or after qigong. The dvd say don’t eat before but nothing about after. I was super hungry and ate straight after a qigong session which I normally avoid. Is this harmful for practise or it doesn’t matter ? 
Thank you 

34 minutes ago, Beep said:

Hi all ,

sorry just a question , I know generally in qigong we shouldn’t eat or drink minimum of 30 mins before or after qigong. The dvd say don’t eat before but nothing about after. I was super hungry and ate straight after a qigong session which I normally avoid. Is this harmful for practise or it doesn’t matter ? 
Thank you 

You'll be fine.

If you find yourself experiencing too much chi after a session, the advice is actually go and eat something as that 'turns it off'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Miffymog said:

You'll be fine.

If you find yourself experiencing too much chi after a session, the advice is actually go and eat something as that 'turns it off'.

Oh I see , Thank you 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/19/2023 at 6:53 AM, Beep said:

Hi all ,

Thank you 

Hi Beep,

As Miffymog correctly advised, you can eat something right after doing FP Qigong--especially if you wish to turn off the cultivation process ignited by the FP Qigong practice.  But don't eat or drink anything that's ice cold soon after practicing any type of Qigong. As i described in past posts, that's called "cracking the ting" --i.e., "cracking the caldron that's been heated up".

Not eating food 30 minutes before you practice Flying Phoenix is a good rule to abide by.

Sifu Terry Dunn

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

Just a question, when practising seated meditation from Vol2 , did any of you experience pain or stiffness in the chest, or sensations such that make you feel like your going to Belch ? I been practising it for a bit but the pain or pressure builds us after doing a bit of the seated ones which have hand movements. ( I usually do a few standing mediations and then seated ones, but I have no pain during the standing ones). Is this some thing I should be concerned about (maybe bad posture or alignment) ? Or could it possibly be just that my body isn't used to doing the movements seated ( lack of conditioning) ? Some thing I noticed is that during the mediations I unconsciously start to slouch, I fix when I notice it but could this be the cause ?

Edited by Beep

4 hours ago, Beep said:

Hi all,

Just a question, when practising seated meditation from Vol2 , did any of you experience pain or stiffness in the chest, or sensations such that make you feel like your going to Belch ? I been practising it for a bit but the pain or pressure builds us after doing a bit of the seated ones which have hand movements. ( I usually do a few standing mediations and then seated ones, but I have no pain during the standing ones). Is this some thing I should be concerned about (maybe bad posture or alignment) ? Or could it possibly be just that my body isn't used to doing the movements seated ( lack of conditioning) ? Some thing I noticed is that during the mediations I unconsciously start to slouch, I fix when I notice it but could this be the cause ?

Hi Beep, are you doing the seated motions in half lotus comfortably? If half lotus isn’t comfortable for you yet then stick with just normal cross legged during FP while practicing half lotus outside of FP practice.

Make sure you aren’t slouching and your back is nice and straight. When starting FP you might have some aches and pains because there are muscles or body areas that you aren’t used to working with. As long as it isn’t too painful and affects your concentration then just keep going through it and it will eventually go away as your body gets used to practice.

If possible, next time you do seated practice take a video and post here or send to Sifu Terry so he can see what is going on.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pak_Satrio said:

Hi Beep, are you doing the seated motions in half lotus comfortably? If half lotus isn’t comfortable for you yet then stick with just normal cross legged during FP while practicing half lotus outside of FP practice.

Make sure you aren’t slouching and your back is nice and straight. When starting FP you might have some aches and pains because there are muscles or body areas that you aren’t used to working with. As long as it isn’t too painful and affects your concentration then just keep going through it and it will eventually go away as your body gets used to practice.

If possible, next time you do seated practice take a video and post here or send to Sifu Terry so he can see what is going on.

Thank you for your response. I actually find the half lotus position more comfortable than the normal cross legged which might seem a bit strange.  Ill see how I go tomorrow when I practise and ill keep an eye out for slouching. If the problem still persists and there's no improvement then I shall send a video to Sifu terry as you have suggested and hopefully he can suggest a solution.

Edited by Beep
  • Like 2

On 05/08/2023 at 2:44 PM, Beep said:

Thank you for your response. I actually find the half lotus position more comfortable than the normal cross legged which might seem a bit strange.  Ill see how I go tomorrow when I practise and ill keep an eye out for slouching. If the problem still persists and there's no improvement then I shall send a video to Sifu terry as you have suggested and hopefully he can suggest a solution.

If you have a full length mirror, practice in front of that so you can see your posture. Over time your posture will improve, just practice every day.

• Like 2

Congratulations with your new altar. Suggestions: a little willow branch and some flowers (imo may be artificial); a tiny bottle of water (not everyone has a temple nearby, imo tap water will do); fruit, especially peaches (imo may be eaten by you). But great as it is. :) 

Edited by Cobie
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Cobie said:

Congratulations with your new altar. Suggestions: a little willow branch and some flowers (imo may be artificial); a tiny bottle of water (not everyone has a temple nearby, imo tap water will do); fruit, especially peaches (imo may be eaten by you). But great as it is. :) 

Thanks for the tips! I’ve added a small water cup so far for daily offerings.

• Like 2

On 8/5/2023 at 7:44 AM, Beep said:

Hi Beep,

Two suggestions for you--and any other practitioners who experiencing discomfort doing the seated MSW meditations on Volume 2:

(1)   Use a meditation pillow.   It's fine to sit on a meditation pillow or a booster cushion that raises your seat a few inches that makes the half-lotus or crossed-legged position comfortable..  

(2)   Prop your back up against a wall or piece of furniture like a ottoman or front of a couch.  As I've posted starting in Year One of this thread, FP Qigong is very accommodating and user-friendly.  You can start the seated meditations with your back against a wall and then eventually move away from the wall to practice.

Enjoy.  And feel free to send me a video of your seated MSW practice if you are still experiencing problems.

Best,

Sifu Terry

P.S.  Today, as a warm-down at the end of my Tai Chi Class 11a.m., after 75 min. of Tai Chi form practice, I led the class in practicing these 4 standing FP Qigong meditations--

Monk Gazing at Moon,

Monk Holding Peach,

Monk Holding Pearl, and

Wind Above the Clouds

--for a total of 40 minutes.

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2023 at 7:44 AM, Beep said:

Hi Beep,

Two suggestions for you--and any other practitioners who experiencing discomfort doing the seated MSW meditations on Volume 2:

(1)   Use a meditation pillow.   It's fine to sit on a meditation pillow or a booster cushion that raises your seat a few inches that makes the half-lotus or crossed-legged position comfortable..  

(2)   Prop your back up against a wall or piece of furniture like a ottoman or front of a couch.  As I've posted starting in Year One of this thread, FP Qigong is very accommodating and user-friendly.  You can start the seated meditations with your back against a wall and then eventually move away from the wall to practice.

Enjoy.  And feel free to send me a video of your seated MSW practice if you are still experiencing problems.

Best,

Sifu Terry

P.S.  Today, as a warm-down at the end of my Tai Chi Class 11a.m., after 75 min. of Tai Chi form practice, I led the class in practicing these 4 standing FP Qigong meditations--

Monk Gazing at Moon,

Monk Holding Peach,

Monk Holding Pearl, and

Wind Above the Clouds

Edited by zen-bear

On 21/08/2023 at 4:08 AM, zen-bear said:

Hi Beep,

Best,

Sifu Terry

Monk Gazing at Moon,

Monk Holding Peach,

Monk Holding Pearl, and

Wind Above the Clouds

terencedunn.substack.com

Thank you sifu

• Like 2

Hey everyone, I've been practicing Flying Phoenix for 2.5 months now, specifically DVD's 1 and 2. I'm absolutely addicted. I've already gotten significant benefits, like overall relaxation and clearing a cold really quickly without any medication.

Before FP, I practiced some other systems for about 4 years. They were also amazing, but I hit a plateau with my health and found my way to FP. I'm still doing the other practices, but I've carved out big chunks of my day to just do FP.

I have a couple questions:

1) I am currently training in BJJ and MMA. Is it a bad idea to practice Flying Phoenix right before? Sifu Terry has touched on this before but I'm unclear on the specifics.

2) Is it significant if I don't get that many involuntary movements? While I occasionally get some minor jerking and twitching, it's nothing like the entire body gyrating like some people report in this thread.

Also, I found it fascinating how FP is so different from other types of qigong! A lot of crucial cornerstones of other practices don't seem to make any difference in my Flying Phoenix practice.

Anyways, I'm really glad I found this awesome qigong art and I'm excited to join the community.

Also really thankful for how simple and clear Sifu Terry's instructions are on the DVDs and website.

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Alex! Welcome to the thread. 

15 hours ago, daokedao said:

1) I am currently training in BJJ and MMA. Is it a bad idea to practice Flying Phoenix right before? Sifu Terry has touched on this before but I'm unclear on the specifics.

Should be fine if you leave a gap between FP and your BJJ/MMA,  around 20 mins for the energy to settle. I would think that doing FP after your BJJ and MMA training would be better since the active training would wake up the qi in your body, then FP would help you relax after training. Sifu Terry would know better than me so better to clarify with him first.

15 hours ago, daokedao said:

2) Is it significant if I don't get that many involuntary movements? While I occasionally get some minor jerking and twitching, it's nothing like the entire body gyrating like some people report in this thread.

I think a lack of involuntary movements means you probably have less health issues/blockages etc than most when doing FP. I found that the more I practiced the less involuntary movements and sweating happened as time went by. 

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry!

In the last few weeks or so I’ve notice midway through and after my practice it feels like there is a cool liquid at the top of my head, around the top part of my brain. Quite a pleasant feeling that seems to come and go throughout the day after practice. What is the significance of this? 

Edited by Pak_Satrio
  • Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 2:53 PM, Pak_Satrio said:

After many months of searching for a nice Guan Yin statue, this one popped up in my local charity shop! Will start making a nice altar.

Made a makeshift altar with other stuff I had around the house. Any suggestions on what should be added?

734C8B07-705A-42A3-BBAE-338A0F2BFB9A.jpeg

May I suggest not to have Quan Yin placed on a plate. The purpose of the plate is for placing the foods on. It would not be very respectful to the goddess. Peace!

• Like 2

Hi Sifu Terry,

I have recently found a local Xingyi quan teacher and started learning from him. I just wanted to ask if it is okay to practise TTP31 and Flying phoenix meditates and Xingyi San Ti Shi and standing forms all in the same session. Or is it similar to other Qigong systems where I have a 2 hour gap. My Sifu said it is okay but was unfamiliar with the TTP and flying phoenix systems so I just wanted to double check with you. 
Thank you 
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Beep said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

I have recently found a local Xingyi quan teacher and started learning from him. I just wanted to ask if it is okay to practise TTP31 and Flying phoenix meditates and Xingyi San Ti Shi and standing forms all in the same session. Or is it similar to other Qigong systems where I have a 2 hour gap. My Sifu said it is okay but was unfamiliar with the TTP and flying phoenix systems so I just wanted to double check with you. 
Thank you 

Hi Beep, I think I can answer your question. I am a Taiji practitioner for forty years. Xingyi Quan is in the same family of practice as of Taiji. There should be no chemical change in the body. Thus it is ok the practice it without conflict.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 7:09 PM, Beep said:

Hi Sifu Terry,

Thank you 

Hello Beep,

Yes, it's okay to train in Xingyi Quan. Tao Tan Pai 31 Meditations, and FP Qigong all in the same day.  But i don't advise doing all 3 in the same session.
Do your TTP-31 and FP Qigong separately and not in same session in which you do Xingyi.
And if you want to practice TTP-31 and FP Qigong in the same session or in close temporal proximity, practice TTP-31 before FP Qigong because as I'm sure I've mentioned before, TTP-31 serves as a superb/fantastic foundational catalyst that intensifies and prolongs the healing effects of the FP Qigong.

Enjoy your practice of all three arts.

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 2

On 9/4/2023 at 3:37 PM, Pak_Satrio said:

Hi Sifu Terry!

In the last few weeks or so I’ve notice midway through and after my practice it feels like there is a cool liquid at the top of my head, around the top part of my brain. Quite a pleasant feeling that seems to come and go throughout the day after practice. What is the significance of this? 

Hi Pak_Satrio,

What you describe as "Cool liquid at top of the head" is what GM Doo Wai described long ago as the very common "washing" sensation..and what I later felt as activation of specific brain centers.  

What you've experienced is a sign of very good progress in FP Qigong.

Let me know if you experience very specific parts of the brain that you feel the cool liquid "washing".

Sifu Terry

terencedunn.substack.com

• Like 2