Fu_dog

Flying Phoenix Chi Kung

Can you clarify your take on visualization vs mental imaging?

I know that this can be difficult using words...

Thanks

Hi Pitisuka :)

My take :

Vocabulary is used for mental imaging, and it is a very sequential process, exactly like reading, telling or creating a story. You depend on the process of intellectualization, using reasoning (judgement, presumptions, etc.) of the incoming vocabulary stream to force create a show. This show may or may not bring your sensual and emotional memories, but when you hit on that, the phase has a chance to shift..

Discover and follow the trail of the memory of 5 senses and emotions, and you enter into realm of all the sensual data out there, a very bright location, where each one you pull out turn into awesome dazzling images by themselves and become alive, bringing lots of joy and happiness, (or horrors depending on what you pull out) unlike mental imaging.

This is visualization, happens by itself, once the head is finally over the babbling clouds of intellect.

Best

Cihan

• Like 1

Yes, I also have had the same experience. Seems that forms that I didn't appreciate much earlier now have a greater effect. I have gone back to Volume One on several occasions and noticed effects I did not experience before.

and yes, the more I do the long form the better and more long lasting the effects.

Lately doing long form, then a couple of the seated from vol. 7, then if time both standing from vol. 3.

in the evening doing long form again....still having lucid dreams

Hi TF,

Glad to hear that your discovering that the "basic" FP Meditations in the early volumes are not so "basic"!!

And glad to hear that you are dreaming lucidly as a nice--rather wonderful--side-effect.

That's one of the many profoundly interesting and enjoyable features of the FP Qigong system:

(1) All the FP Meditations are synergistic and work with one another. It doesn't matter what order you learn them--so long as you eventually cover and establish all of them in your practice.

(2) Most importantly is that one establish the Long Form Standing Meditation (Vol.4) practice. As stated from the beginning of this thread back in 2009, the Long Form Med. called "Flying Phoenix Heavenly Healing Chi Meditation" subsumes the practice of all the other shorter FP Meditations in Vols. 1-3 and 5, but it also further activates all them (standing and seated).

Enjoy your practice!

Sifu Terry Dunn

www.taichimania.com/chikung_catalog.html

Edited by zen-bear

hello all, briefly

I have done volume 4 long form 'mirror image' from time to time as my left hand is always different than right. So mirror image seems a balancing process.

It has been a long time since I did Mirror long form, however, the last two days I have done as the first morning exercise early. Both times I have had very intense qi flow, lots of saliva generated and buzzing at bai hue crown point.

have a good weekend and practice with focus and intent

BREATHE

Hi Charlie,

Just catching up with everyone's excellent posts after slogging through this mercury retrograde motion.

I'm glad to hear that you've been doing the Long Form Meditation (Vol.4) in mirrored manner. That should at least double the "fun" and quadruple the Inner Peace !

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 1

As for the tea, I inquired and was told it is just top grade tea.

However, if you are looking for a tea that has been infused with very strong chi that you will feel immediately, I suggest that you look at the Qinway website. Several years ago I bought that tea and was amazed because there were some nights when I had to go with very little sleep and then next day I used that tea as directed at work and felt energetic and did not feel tired at all. I tried that on multiple occasions of losing significant sleep and always got great results. Before ordering the tea I had my medical intuitive test the product and he reported that all of her products have Divine energy in them.

Thanks for the tip on the Qinway tea, Steve.

As that POSITIVE review comes from Eric Isen, I will place an order very soon.

Best,

Sifu Terry

Edited by zen-bear

AMSW #3 is an excellent meditation and learning this meditation came easily. Pairing AMSW #2 and AMSW #3, was very enjoyable and the total duration was about one hour.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your practice of the Vol.7 advanced Monk Serves Wine meditations.

Yes, pairing of the second and the third is most enjoyable and also tangibly rejuvenating in many ways.

Taking one hour to slowly practice the two Meds. 7x each is ideal.

I did the same pairing 3 mornings in a row last week--in a practice that began with second basic MSW on Vol.2 (50 40 30 10) and ending with the "waker-upper" (90 80 50 20).

Best,

Sifu Terry

• Like 1

Very interesting this tea. The shippingcosts of the Qinway products are very high. They advice to use this tea for a period of time also with DVD healing kit. My wife bought this DVD kit. When people are very positive about this tea I will try it.

Thanks

In this periode: in the morning the long form, in the evening Vol. 3 or some of Vol. 7. This system is superb.

John

The tea has been shipped from Hawaii which explains the shipping costs. Whoever chooses to try this tea, please use is exactly as directed for the best results. I bought one of her gold plated statues of Kwan Yin that is charged with Master Qinway's chi and placed it on my bookcase and the first day that I had it I took a nap with my head facing the small statue. I experienced waves of energy flowing onto my crown chakra. Only happened once, but it was real and a unique energetic experience.

have had more mirror practice both sides have ramped up. a break through after a long pleasant plateau.

sometimes we get stuck because the form seems to be working very well, in this case practice on both sides intensified chi noticeably on each side with each alternation. A couple of days doing mirror then when I switched back to normal, there was a surprize with that practice. Moving back to left (mirror) side again intensified. Then I had a couple of rather routine practices untll this morning's normal side ... big energy surge ...

Also my TCC practice intensity has increased. And finally the standing still nei gong I do occasionally ...

so now i expect a plateau soon LOL

• Like 1

have had more mirror practice both sides have ramped up. a break through after a long pleasant plateau.

sometimes we get stuck because the form seems to be working very well, in this case practice on both sides intensified chi noticeably on each side with each alternation. A couple of days doing mirror then when I switched back to normal, there was a surprize with that practice. Moving back to left (mirror) side again intensified. Then I had a couple of rather routine practices untll this morning's normal side ... big energy surge ...

Also my TCC practice intensity has increased. And finally the standing still nei gong I do occasionally ...

so now i expect a plateau soon LOL

Fascinating. :) The mirroring principle is something that is prevalent in my TCC session, however it is yet to be applied to my chi kung sessions. Often I will extract sections of a form, such as the press and push movements from Moonbeam Splashes on the Water, and circulate it from the right side to the left completing about five to ten repetitions. This mirroring concept for chi kung forms is inspiring.

• Like 1

For some time, I've been doing some of the forms by visualisation when lying down when i do not feel very energetic and do not want to force myself, and their effects are very attracting to me.

As well as some classic sitting mudras, so far, i tried (with corresponding breaths):

Tweaking of the arms,

Advanced sitting med nr 5

Bending the bows

Successfully doing all the repetitions to the end without falling asleep, with awesome light effects.

And nowadays the long form, but it is in progress, and each form of it is by itself a deep meditation tool.

I am still doing them physically of course.

I am not recommending anything, this is just a report of my experiences.

Any one else tried them as such?

Best of everything

Cihan

Hi Cihan,

I'm glad to hear you've designed a nice combination of FP meditations that effects very deep meditation for you and are experiencing "awesome" light effects. There really aren't' adequate words to describe these effects--gives true meaning to the word ineffable.

I encourage everyone to develop and discover their own unique, optimal practice formula within the FP system.

btw, has anyone close to you in proximity but who does NOT practice FP Qigong ever experienced the light effects while you were in meditation? In other words, Cihan, be open to the possibility of these light effects expanding or connecting to someone meditating close by.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Edited by zen-bear
  • Like 2

Hi Cihan,

I'm glad to hear you've designed a nice combination of FP meditations that effects very deep meditation for you and are experiencing "awesome" light effects. There really aren't' adequate words to describe these effects--gives true meaning to the word ineffable.

I encourage everyone to develop and discover their own unique, optimal practice formula within the FP system.

btw, has anyone close to you in proximity but who does NOT practice FP Qigong ever experienced the light effects while you were in meditation? In other words, Cihan, be open to the possibility of these light effects expanding or connecting to someone meditating close by.

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hello Sifu Terry,

based on your last question I would like to know how can I "introduce" someone interested in meditation to meditation? Like, have them do quiet sitting meditation and watching their breath while I would do FPCK meditations in proximity?

Or would you recommend showing them a basic FPCK meditation (with breath percentages) and do it together? Then, which meditation would you suggest for absolute beginners?

I hope these are not too much questions :)

I wish a great weekend to all of you,

best,

Julian

• Like 1

Hi Cihan,

Best,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Dear Sifu Terry,

Thank you very much for your time and encouragement.

I am over the need for any outside confirmation, I know FPCK works, and am looking forward to a time when I have some more proficiency on this light.

Best,

Cihan

• Like 1

Hello Sifu Terry,

based on your last question I would like to know how can I "introduce" someone interested in meditation to meditation? Like, have them do quiet sitting meditation and watching their breath while I would do FPCK meditations in proximity?

Or would you recommend showing them a basic FPCK meditation (with breath percentages) and do it together? Then, which meditation would you suggest for absolute beginners?

I hope these are not too much questions :)

I wish a great weekend to all of you,

best,

Julian

Hello Julian,

Either method that you described would be effective in introducing someone interested in meditation to meditation.

However, I always like to start with basics.  And as I've stated earlier in the thread, quiet sitting is ALL-IMPORTANT.  No matter what yogas you do--whether Indian, Chinese, Tibetan, Egyptian, Persian, Toltec, etc.-- you must do quiet sitting.

So I always start absolute beginners off with quiet sitting meditation.  (This is easy and natural for me because Tao Tan Pai Neikung was the first system that I learned starting in 1974, and within the first level of TTP practice, called the Tao Tan Pai 31 (aka, Cloud Hands), there are about 4 static seated meditations [and 10 seated meditations with movements] that we used to do for long periods of time.)  

Not just Tao Tan Pai, but Chinese meditation in general begins with quiet sitting, as reflected in the I Ching:

52. Kên / Keeping Still, Mountain		above  KêN  KEEPING STILL, MOUNTAIN		below  KêN  KEEPING STILL, MOUNTAIN  In its application to man, the hexagram turns upon the problem of achieving a quiet heart. It is very difficult to bring quiet to the heart. While Buddhism strives for rest through an ebbing away of all movement in nirvana, the Book of Changes holds that rest is merely a state of polarity that always posits movement as its complement. Possibly the words of the text embody directions for the practice of yoga.	THE JUDGMENT	KEEPING STILL. Keeping his back still	So that he no longer feels his body.	He goes into his courtyard	And does not see his people.	No blame.True quiet means keeping still when the time has come to keep still, and going forward when the time has come to go forward. In this way rest and movement are in agreement with the demands of the time, and thus there is light in life.  The hexagram signifies the end and the beginning of all movement. The back is named because in the back are located all the nerve fibers that mediate movement. If the movement of these spinal nerves is brought to a standstill, the ego, with its restlessness, disappears as it were. When a man has thus become calm, he may turn to the outside world. He no longer sees in it the struggle and tumult of individual beings, and therefore he has that true peace of mind which is needed for understanding the great laws of the universe and for acting in harmony with them. Whoever acts from these deep levels makes no mistakes.

Once the beginner has learned to sit quietly.  You can introduce him/her to any of the basic FP Meditations on Volume 1 and 2, which will only deepen the level of physical relaxation, mind-body integration, and mental absorption.  The contrast between quiet sitting meditation and any of the 3 Warm-up Meditations--and certainly with the 3  Monk Serves Wine meditations in Volume 2--is most profound and usually quite a revelation to anyone who meditates.

*Also, in addition to the seated FP Meditations on Volume 2, you can have him or her do Monk Holding Pearl (50 40 30 20 10) in seated half lotus position with hands resting at the tan tien.  (This is a key teaching and extra bonus meditation on Volume 1).

Enjoy teaching your friend.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 4

This morning, after Tao Tan Pai training and practice of nine Advanced FP Standing Meditations, I did these three  Advanced FP (Monk Serves Wine) seated mediations from Vol.7:   (70 50 20 10), (60, 70, 40 5) and (20 40 90 10).

This confirmed for myself once again that steady, continuous practice of 3 seated FP Meditations (7 repetitions each) will activate certain brain centers, "push the brain back" and  and kick-in the body's self-healing functions.  All this is experienced "on top of" or  concomitant with  transcendently deep absorption--beyond all states of mind-- that Indian traditions call samadhi.

Sifu Terry Dunn

• Like 6

Hello Julian,

Either method that you described would be effective in introducing someone interested in meditation to meditation.

However, I always like to start with basics.  And as I've stated earlier in the thread, quiet sitting is ALL-IMPORTANT.  No matter what yogas you do--whether Indian, Chinese, Tibetan, Egyptian, Persian, Toltec, etc.-- you must do quiet sitting.

So I always start absolute beginners off with quiet sitting meditation.  (This is easy and natural for me because Tao Tan Pai Neikung was the first system that I learned starting in 1974, and within the first level of TTP practice, called the Tao Tan Pai 31 (aka, Cloud Hands), there are about 4 static seated meditations [and 10 seated meditations with movements] that we used to do for long periods of time.)  

Not just Tao Tan Pai, but Chinese meditation in general begins with quiet sitting, as reflected in the I Ching:

52. Kên / Keeping Still, Mountain		above  KêN  KEEPING STILL, MOUNTAIN		below  KêN  KEEPING STILL, MOUNTAIN  In its application to man, the hexagram turns upon the problem of achieving a quiet heart. It is very difficult to bring quiet to the heart. While Buddhism strives for rest through an ebbing away of all movement in nirvana, the Book of Changes holds that rest is merely a state of polarity that always posits movement as its complement. Possibly the words of the text embody directions for the practice of yoga.	THE JUDGMENT	KEEPING STILL. Keeping his back still	So that he no longer feels his body.	He goes into his courtyard	And does not see his people.	No blame.True quiet means keeping still when the time has come to keep still, and going forward when the time has come to go forward. In this way rest and movement are in agreement with the demands of the time, and thus there is light in life.  The hexagram signifies the end and the beginning of all movement. The back is named because in the back are located all the nerve fibers that mediate movement. If the movement of these spinal nerves is brought to a standstill, the ego, with its restlessness, disappears as it were. When a man has thus become calm, he may turn to the outside world. He no longer sees in it the struggle and tumult of individual beings, and therefore he has that true peace of mind which is needed for understanding the great laws of the universe and for acting in harmony with them. Whoever acts from these deep levels makes no mistakes.

Once the beginner has learned to sit quietly.  You can introduce him/her to any of the basic FP Meditations on Volume 1 and 2, which will only deepen the level of physical relaxation, mind-body integration, and mental absorption.  The contrast between quiet sitting meditation and any of the 3 Warm-up Meditations--and certainly with the 3  Monk Serves Wine meditations in Volume 2--is most profound and usually quite a revelation to anyone who meditates.

*Also, in addition to the seated FP Meditations on Volume 2, you can have him or her do Monk Holding Pearl (50 40 30 20 10) in seated half lotus position with hands resting at the tan tien.  (This is a key teaching and extra bonus meditation on Volume 1).

Enjoy teaching your friend.

Sifu Terry Dunn

Wonderful! Thank you very much for your answer - as always I enjoy reading your posts. I am looking forward to introduce a friend to meditation.

As for the 3 MSW meditations in a row - this I still have to experience for myself. To be honest I haven't tried that yet, mostly because of the time consumption of just one of them. I will try it out :)

Best wishes,

Julian

• Like 1

Hello Healerman,

Depending on one's natural ability and background in Qigong and internal arts, and one's alchemic "compatability" with Flying Phoenix Qigong, it is possible to attain high proficiency in the basic level of the FP Qigong system from working with the DVD instruction. (And by high proficiency, I mean that a practitioner can demonstrate healing and rejuvenating effects on others by touch). However, there are advanced levels of the Flying Phoenix Qigong system that require the in-person instruction and supervision of a bona fide master of that system.

Regards,

Sifu Terry Dunn

Hi, how can one ascertain if they are alchemically compatible, i already seem to have innate healing abilities although i haven't made use of them because im a self destructive fool who has ill for a long time although i seem to be getting better again slowly...then again i guess that's what phoenix do hey destroy themselves only to be reborn.

I wonder how far flying phoenix can be taken.

• Like 1

what did i miss?   when did the site change from taobums to daobums???

:blink:

my morning long form 90 60 5 50 40 very intense this morning as it continues to increase movement and awareness  flow.

27 min  this morning ... 

have a dao weekend  present in the moment ...

charlie

• Like 1

Yes, the site was recently down for a brief period and then presto, Taobums is now Daobums. I have never liked seeing Tao spelled as Dao for some reason. Yes, multitudes mispronounce the D sound as T sound, but that still is no reason to change the spelling. Just my personal like and dislike.

As for the question of meditation, Transcendental Meditation reaches the goal of all other styles of meditation right from the beginning because it takes the person automatically to the silence between 2 thoughts and that is considered the source of thought, silence, as all musicians have experienced. It is the vacuum state of Quantum Physics, the Absolute, Pure Concsiousness, Sat Chit Ananda = Absolute Bliss Consciousness, Pure Awareness. No concentration, effortless and no boring sitting on the surface level of the mind. It is deep.  Before TM I tried Zen where you just sit, and I was bored to death just being on the surface. All the good stuff happens when the mind is silenced automatically with this method. I do not achieve this state of restful alertness from chi kung, I do chi kung primarily for health and for opening the higher chakras for spiritual purposes, intuition, etc.

Just wanted to add my testimonial to this thread:

I have had nothing short of a life-transforming experience with FPQG over my 4 years working with the system and more recently through Sifu Terry’s direct instruction.

I’ve done several online sessions via Skype with Sifu Terry over the last year and also had the great privilege of meeting him for a private session in LA this past weekend. I’ve tried many systems of internal development over the years, but I have found little that compares to the consistent awakening potential that FPQG provides in terms of physical and psycho-spiritual development. You really need to do it every day, and be consistent with your practice to reap the maximum benefits. This is key, as you are improving even if you do not know it.

Working 1-on-1 with Sifu Terry is like high octane fuel for your practice. It helps tremendously to get an evaluation of your form via direct guidance, as you will better understand the mechanics of how to improve your own energy flow, and understand the system in general. In my case, I had a lot of residual structural tension from many years of weight lifting that Sifu Terry was able to quickly pinpoint and provide precise instruction and remedy.

The private sessions also fixed some misconceptions I had and fine-tuned my practice, allowing me to experience the benefits on a whole other level, including an enhanced awareness of the subtleties of the art. Sifu Terry was also instrumental in providing a greater personal understanding of the roots of true inner (and outer) cultivation and his advice has often been the key leverage I needed to defeat personal obstacles and advance in my own psychospiritual development.

I was also taught the first few forms of Tao Tan Pai, which has helped in building a more solid martial foundation for my FPQG practice. Overall, I would say if you are a regular practitioner of FQPG, or even if you’re just beginning, it is well worth receiving direct personal guidance from Sifu Terry, on Skype or in person. He is a very kind, genuine and patient person- super easy and enjoyable to work with, and a storehouse of knowledge and experience. You may be left being pleasantly surprised at how much you are truly capable of in your own internal development.

Ioann

• Like 6

tao stillness,  I learned vietnamese another oriental language  it is my impression (one instructor was chinese heritage)

that d is an unaspirated t  that is there is no puff of breath,  but the tounge position is the same.  Therefore in vietnamese and I suspect chinese whether on aspirates or not is a function of local speech habits  ...  therefore tao and dao are the same in the wider language region.   as westerners we often do not pronounce many sounds 'correctly' and even correctly is complex

peace

Just a curious question but has anyone entered into the deep samadhic state sifu Terry mentions the sitting FP meditations impart ?

Master Dunn I was going thru your posts and can you explain the difference between this

the breathing methods because the Advanced FP Meditations cross a threshold into the realm of "spiritual martial art" (san da).  

and the post below.

Edited by JinlianPai